Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,285 members, 7,853,349 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 03:03 PM

Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? (8487 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Embarrassing Way Some Nigerians Boarded An Aircraft Today / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by alabiyemmy(m): 9:33pm On Mar 14, 2007
@Dblock

You will fail the Nigerian exam because what you learn in Australia is far too low in depth and knowledge than what is learnt in Nigeria. I have learnt both sides and I can say what we learn in Nigeria far surpasses whatever you learn outside. You must be concluding that everyone in Nija leaves as an area boy or I dont understand your analogy.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 7:14am On Mar 16, 2007
@ Dblock

I dnt dig what you posted.Whats the link?Going back home and failing exams + area boys.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by dblock(m): 7:18am On Mar 16, 2007
I have schooled in Nigeria so I know for a fact that Nigerian education is ten times harder than education in Australia if I return to Nigeria and i continue my schooling there, I will most definitely fail all the exams and thus I will have no future so I will have to become an Area Boy
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 7:27am On Mar 16, 2007
Why speak negative of urself?Well i dont tink so oh.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by Ndipe(m): 7:27am On Mar 16, 2007
@alabiyemi, I just can't grasp it when people put down western education while extolling Nigerian education. For goodness sake, look around the business world, and read stories of graduates of colleges, like American colleges, who made made a turn around of a moribund industry. If Nigerian education is superior to the western education, can somebody please tell me, why our industries are not upto par with their counterparts in the western world? I completely disagree with the notion that western education is simpler than Nigerian education. Education is not about quoting formulas or handing out recycled term papers for students to study. It involves research, class participation, internships, to give students the overall package of their future career. I used to have discussions with my professors on global issues pertaining to my career, whereas that was almost non-existent in Naija.

Then research itself is no brainer than America is better equipped than Naija. In Naija, nearly all students would cite a text book for their research paper, whereas in the USA, you have plethora of materials to use for your assignment. It is easier out here, not so in Naija. At the end of the day, invite both the Nigerian graduate and the American graduate and interview them on their respective fields. In most cases, the American student would emerge the winner.

P/S: I am not putting down the graduates of our institution. I am impressed by their accomplishments, in the face of deplorable facilities in colleges.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 7:35am On Mar 16, 2007
Ndipe:

Then research itself is no brainer than America is better equipped than Naija. In Naija, nearly all students would cite a text book for their research paper, whereas in the USA, you have plethora of materials to use for your assignment. It is easier out here, not so in Naija. At the end of the day, invite both the Nigerian graduate and the American graduate and interview them on their respective fields. In most cases, the American student would emerge the winner.

It is true America got more materials than we have but that doesnt make our institutions a write off too as they produce brains yearly.It hurts to know the the Federal Government is not doing anything to make our top schools redeem their glory instead of living on past glory.One fact though is if we get back on track we can match the likes of America and co.As for the interview thing i dont agree with you cos most Nigerian Graduates are brains unlike some of the American counterparts.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by dblock(m): 7:39am On Mar 16, 2007
The Nigeria curriculum is definitely more difficult than that of most countries, that includes America.
The reason why Nigerian students aren't excelling as much is due to the lack of credibility of our universities and the fact that a lot of our students are strangely reluctant to partake in more serious and productive industries like Business and Technology etc. instead a lot of people are lingering with less economically productive subjects like Poetry . and there are too many people in the medical field.

It involves research, class participation, internships

This does not take into account, the standards that are required to pass a class, and this is paramount!!!!!

But things are changing
(1)The University of Technolgy in Abuja (AIST) is under cosntruction, and when completed will be world class and as good as any other universiy of it's kind anywhere in the world
(2) The Akwa Ibom University of Tecknology
(3) Buisness is being taking more seriously and SMEs are to be encouraged and subsidized by the government
(4) Our makor ploytechnics are to be merged with universities, thus making equipement and facilities avaulable for exchange and support.
(5) The university of Yobe has improved immensely with the construction of four new buildings
(6) The university of Ibadan, Lagos and Ife are still substandard compared to other niversities worldwide but I know that things can only get better.

PS, You can cruise through education abroad, but it takes brains to excell in Nigeria
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by Ndipe(m): 10:20am On Mar 16, 2007
I still prefer the American education. It involves hands on experience, ranging from internships to class discussions. Ours is just note and handout, that's it. I have no doubt whatsoever that Nigerian students are known for their academic intellect, and some of them have made waves out here and even back home. Case in point: A Nigerian student, emerged the best African student because he had the highest grade in his SSCE. An accomplishment indeed.

But my misgivings with our curriculum, or sylabus is that it is stuck in the past. The culprit is the govt, for paying lip service to Education. I finished college in Naija and it is no brainer that American education wins hands down, no comparison whatsoever. That does not mean that we are dunces, far from it, some of our students have the intellect to compete with their peers globally, even with our staid curriculum, and deplorable facilities for learning and an an outdated laboratory for science students. Tell me, have you not heard of computer students graduating back home with no knowledge whatsoever of computers? Lets get with the times.

What helps out here is that the education here runs smoothly. Rarely do teachers go on strike. There is right about every department to cater to your needs, is it counselling, finances, homework, difficult teacher? The environment is conducive. Course work? It is very involving, but access to textbooks and journals make it a bit easier for students.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 6:52pm On Mar 16, 2007
If the condition improves then i will go the Nigerian way.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by gbeborun(m): 12:15am On Mar 17, 2007
@alabiyemmy
it beats me that you can compare western education to nigeria education. my brother, if you've tasted both sides then u are definitely not telling the truth. Haba, nigerian education (at least for the past 10years) is rubbish and nothing to write home about. The curriculum is filled with outdated and irrelevant course models. Abeg, there's no way you can compare a foreign graduate (that is worth his/her salt) to a nigerian graduate at all. na ogboju na graduates they do. nothing them they learn for school. i can pick you up on this any day at anytime.
pls stop beefing!!!!!!!
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by gbeborun(m): 12:22am On Mar 17, 2007
alabiyemmy, i guess you were having a laff when u said that (nigerian education is better) Pls there's just no basis for comparison abeg. Nigerian graduates are very good, but that aint de to the effort of the schools but the determination of the students to succeed and better themselves. In all, nigerian education is in SHAMBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing them they teach/lecture, nothing at all. being there before!
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by alabiyemmy(m): 5:22am On Mar 17, 2007
gbeborun:

alabiyemmy, i guess you were having a laff when u said that (nigerian education is better) Please there's just no basis for comparison abeg. Nigerian graduates are very good, but that aint de to the effort of the schools but the determination of the students to succeed and better themselves. In all, nigerian education is in SHAMBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing them they teach/lecture, nothing at all. being there before!

i am not having a laugh - i graduated first class from university of lagos and then went to the UK to do a masters degree, 80% the stuff we were thought in the masters course were things we were thought earlier in the Bsccourse, ditto for my pals doing the masters in some other fields. I am not beefing, ask anyone, take a poll and don't use your judgement alone. Everywhere i work in the UK, there is usually a Nigerian there, working top jobs, and these people had degrees and qualifications from Nigeria, if the educational system in Nigeria is that bad as you described, how would these people have coped?

Have you heard of HSMP? Do you realise how many Nigerians work in the UK with their Nigeria certificates? If the system is as ridicualed by you, why will the british system not be strange to them? Just do a research and see for yourself what I am saying.

Beside, what is the meaning of beefing anyway? and wha yardstick are u using to compare? I talked from experience? Which foreign school have u schooled to make an comparison? I can hold my head anywhere and tell it to anybody who cares to listen that Nigerian education is superior to those in so called foreign countries. Quote me.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by gbeborun(m): 6:18pm On Mar 17, 2007
@alabiyemmy,
I'll never quote that, never!!!!! Nigerians survive the world over becos of sheer determination! Think it's foolhardy to compare the quality of nigerian education to western education. This aint about patriotism bruv, let truth be told. nigerian educational system is in shambles and total ruin! It needs to be overhauled and quickly too, b4 the launch more ekpoma like graduates out again.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by gbeborun(m): 6:22pm On Mar 17, 2007
@alabiyemmy,
If nigeria was so great, why did u bother coming over for your masters degree? abi. Why u come UK? abi u be elitist? or na class thingy? If nigeria was so great, then u must have wasted millions of naira coming down, as u could have had ur programme in nigeria and at a cheaper price too!!!!

Stop beefing! ok
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by alabiyemmy(m): 8:07pm On Mar 17, 2007
Bad belle - ask me again and I will tell you, but I don't have time for these.

My point is, what is learnt in Nigerian universities is comparable and at times better than what is llearnt in the western world, nobody is talking about the system, the system is not the same as the curricula.

Busy bodies. I think some people just like to argue without reading the point very well, and what is the point taking things personal, if you dont agree with my point, then read and go away, what is the point asking me why I came to the UK?

For your info - I got a scholarship which is tenable in the UK and I took it, if i didnt win a scholarship, for sure I would have had my masters in Nigeria. U don hear?
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by Ndipe(m): 11:01pm On Mar 17, 2007
@Alabiyemmy, dont you consider it a waste of time, that you accepted the scholarship to study abroad instead of pursuing your PG studies in Nigeria? Abi, you like awuff?
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by alabiyemmy(m): 11:16pm On Mar 17, 2007
who is talking?
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 6:02am On Mar 18, 2007
alabiyemmy:

i am not having a laugh - i graduated first class from university of lagos and then went to the UK to do a masters degree, 80% the stuff we were thought in the masters course were things we were thought earlier in the Bsccourse, ditto for my pals doing the masters in some other fields. I am not beefing, ask anyone, take a poll and don't use your judgement alone. Everywhere i work in the UK, there is usually a Nigerian there, working top jobs, and these people had degrees and qualifications from Nigeria, if the educational system in Nigeria is that bad as you described, how would these people have coped?

Have you heard of HSMP? Do you realise how many Nigerians work in the UK with their Nigeria certificates? If the system is as ridicualed by you, why will the british system not be strange to them? Just do a research and see for yourself what I am saying.

Beside, what is the meaning of beefing anyway? and wha yardstick are u using to compare? I talked from experience? Which foreign school have u schooled to make an comparison? I can hold my head anywhere and tell it to anybody who cares to listen that Nigerian education is superior to those in so called foreign countries. Quote me.

You are right its jst that @ d moment our education is nt dere yet cos of bad govt bt if everything falls into place we will top again.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by dblock(m): 7:24am On Mar 18, 2007
The stuff I'm learning in school now in Australia is the same stuff I was learning in Nigeria 7 years ago.
Curriculum is different from credibility and facilities
The Nigerian, Sri Lankan and Indian curriculum's are the highest in the world in terms of Intellect and difficulty

Why do you think that Indians are so smart, but yet a school in Indian is jam packed and has little facilities
You'd be a fool to use Curriculum and Fidelity interchangeably. There is a huge difference
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by alabiyemmy(m): 11:57am On Mar 18, 2007
Thanks @dblock
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by TheOne2(m): 6:13pm On Mar 18, 2007
Sometimes I wonder when people post things here. How can one talk about curriculum being better abroad. The curriculum is the same, it's just facilities that differ. The university is not supposed to make you whole, it's a foundation you build on yourself. I work in a technologically-intensive industry and some of the brightest and most effective people have never stepped out of Nigeria for education.

There are two centres of excellence in petroleum engineering in the UK and at present the best students in both schools on all the courses are Nigerians that did their undergraduate study in Nigeria. The Nigerians that schooled here in the UK are not measuring up at all.

@Ndipe

I'm sorry to say this but if you say you didn't learn much in Nigeria, I'll say it's because you attended university of Uyo. I'm not slighting the school but I served there and was utterly disappointed that the school awards degrees. I guess we need to monitor our schools more closely to ensure the quality but some schools as at now still give you the quality of education you can get anywhere (leaving out the stuff you need capital intensive facilities for).
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by Ndipe(m): 11:51pm On Mar 18, 2007
@the one, are you implying that other universities curriculum, apart from my alma mater can compete with leading universities abroad? I highly doubt it. Yeah, I schooled at Uniuyo, and I am pretty sure that my school can compete with other leading tertiary institutions in the nation. Abroad, I am not sure, but some of the students, I am sure can defend their projects. The truth is this, lets just revamp our curriculum, or at the very least, adopt a model of education that can in the very least, rival that of the western education.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 4:34am On Mar 21, 2007
dblock:

The stuff I'm learning in school now in Australia is the same stuff I was learning in Nigeria 7 years ago.
Curriculum is different from credibility and facilities
The Nigerian, Sri Lankan and Indian curriculum's are the highest in the world in terms of Intellect

I kinda go with u.We just need the right approach and the right way of doing things to move forward.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by gbeborun(m): 9:48pm On Mar 21, 2007
Na wa o, ppl 4get things easily sha! Have u all forgotten that everything in Nigeria is Copy and Paste? Even when it aint fit for purpose. If the nigeria curriculum is so up-to-date as u guys claim, my friends in nigeria doin mech engineering still they do "carburretor" when the world has moved and cars are now using injector.
dblock, abeg stop lying, what did u learn in naija 7yrs ago that u r now being taught in Australia? C'mon guys, make una take am easy. Wetin no good, no good. The curriculum needs to be serious updated.

@alabiyemmy, why u hate this country so much? i dey fear ppl like u o!
anyways, nice sharing ideas. make una take am easy!
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by alabiyemmy(m): 11:41pm On Mar 21, 2007
gbeborun:

@alabiyemmy, why u hate this country so much? i dey fear people like u o!

Hate which country?
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 7:37am On Mar 22, 2007
gbeborun:

Na wa o, people forget things easily sha! Have u all forgotten that everything in Nigeria is Copy and Paste? Even when it aint fit for purpose. If the nigeria curriculum is so up-to-date as u guys claim, my friends in nigeria doin mech engineering still they do "carburretor" when the world has moved and cars are now using injector.
dblock, abeg stop lying, what did u learn in naija 7yrs ago that you're now being taught in Australia? C'mon guys, make una take am easy. Wetin no good, no good. The curriculum needs to be serious updated.

@alabiyemmy, why u hate this country so much? i dey fear people like u o!

I do not agree with u on the curriculum because its not that backward like you put it.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by hotchic1(f): 8:33pm On Apr 14, 2007
because pple rip u off in Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by 9ja4eva: 9:35am On Apr 15, 2007
Well i think people are ripped off everywhere.
Re: Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? by Blackcat(f): 1:59pm On Feb 19, 2008
:-x

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Let’s Talk About Croatia Work Permit And Visa Application. / Killer Pilot Contemplated Crashing A Lagos-Bound British Airways Jet In Suicide Bid / Cool Sign I Ran Into In Italy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.