Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,236 members, 7,839,248 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders (41517 Views)

7 Reasons Why Degree Holders Are Poor By Malam Mamuda Kabir DUTSINMA / Depressed Man Sets His Bsc And NYSC Certificates On Fire / Official | FG Approves Equal Salaries For HND, Degree Holders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by Babysho(m): 6:24pm On Jul 14, 2017
lonelydora:
That means the people that designed the educational curriculum are so stupid. Even though most people will jubilate over this, but there's difference between SSCE, OND, HND, BACHELORS, MASTERS, and PhD holders.
Why not equate SSCE and B.Sc too? Or Masters and PhD? Organisations pay different salaries for a reason.

HR personnel should throw more light.

Well, after all in the present Nigeria, OND/HND are getting jobs more than B.Sc/Masters holders. Not because of experience or what, but for 'Cheap' labour.

For those quoting me....I'm not jealous. I like the way FG removed the dichotomy, but it's wrong to generally say both degrees are equal. Secondary schools can never be the same with Commercial schools.

HND in some Departments/Courses is better than B.Sc and vice versa. So yeah they aren't equal.

But the way you're thinking, you need to CUT IT! You're placing too much importance on the degree (paper) itself. You have the degree so as to get employed to APPLY what you learnt. If you went to a Uni/Poly and can APPLY your knowledge GOOD and if you can't PERFORM, it means you're not fit irrespective of the type of college you went to.

Now go and discriminate no more.

P.S : I studied Finance in UI and I know nothing then I got into a Polytechnic to study Art and I'm doing fine.
Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by Boscolo: 6:37pm On Jul 14, 2017
ikp120:
It's obvious that you don't even know that HND and BSC are "basically" the same, since the HND is the graduate certification from a Polytechnic, while BSC is the graduate certification from a university.
Both are tertiary institutions.

Masters, PGD (post graduate diploma) and PhD are post graduate certifications.

I can't believe you even compared secondary school to tertiary institutions. Na wa o. You are supposed to know the hierarchy of academic institutions by now na. From nursery to primary to secondary to tertiary(University, polytechnic, college of education, etc} to post graduate.

Whenever topic like this comes up I laugh at the way our so called 'graduate' on this platform respond.
It's glaring that some pple just believe and 'consumed' what their parent/friends/lecturers/ told them about other institutions without carrying out proper research.

People should realize that Polytechnic, University, College of Education are all higher institutions of learning. The problem is the way and manner we run these programs.

If we are to go by the credit load each of theses institutions offer, we will realize that Polytechnic students offer more credit load than University( a recent evaluation by WES equated Nigeria HND to a post graduate qualification because of the credit load plus the one year industrial training.
It means with your HND you can apply for a Master degree.

I think people should understand that Polytechnic is not a place where they do buying and selling but a place where people are trained to become Engineers and scientist, technologist etc

The path of trainig may be different from that of a University, but it hurt me to see people looking down on HND holders as if they have wasted 5yrs of their lives studying for the the qualification.

Take Finland for example; in Finland, Polytechnics(University of Applied Sciences) run degree program,the only difference is that they are not allowed to award academic masters,but a degree holder from a Polytechnic in Finland can go for his Masters in any Universities in Finland and abroad.Polytechnic in Finland runs professional masters and not academic,that is the only difference.

Instead for our politicians to come Up with good idea on how to revamp the system, all they do us to create arguement over BSC& HND.

In the UK, a school cert holder can earn over £21k a year ( that is above what a Bsc earns) in as much he has the experience in the field, but in Nigeria the case is different, even if you have the experience and have HND, they still prefer to higher a fresh university graduate for the post, hence the reason why things aren't working in some sectors. A fresher from any institution still has to understudy even if he/she made a first class.

Let us all respect qualifications be it SSCE, NCE, ONE,ND,HND,NEC etc, the reason is because is a qualification worked for . .... I'm Sorry for any error(s) as i'm typing from my phone and also on transit

1 Like

Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by Bluffly: 8:53pm On Jul 14, 2017
I tire o. HND is HND and not equal o BSc anywhere in the world. It can never be equal. This is what haooens when you have dunces as leaders.

Rather for them to restructure the program to three years, OND 1 year taught with 6months practical and same with HND. Do a one year in a university to obtain BSc. As simple as ABC but rather they decided to fan confusion.
Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by infantlion(m): 9:32pm On Jul 14, 2017
ndidibabe:
Be deceiving yourself.....

I bet u can't do better than an average HND holder...I can stake my last kobo on that odd
Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by ndidibabe(f): 9:41pm On Jul 14, 2017
infantlion:

I bet u can't do better than an average HND holder...I can stake my last kobo on that odd
infantlion:

No be UME wey you fail carry you go Poly? No one will intentionally want to attend Poly....

1 Like

Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by obiezed: 12:29am On Jul 15, 2017
awa:

HND holders are employing thousands of people ...if you doubt me go ask Slot Mobile Owner.
Stop hating and for once simply believe that Paper qualification has been killing our national development for a long time now.
Let's pay people for what they are able to produce in workplace.
And bsc holders are not productive in the workplace ??,I am an unbiased employer of labour ,and productivity in the workplace has got nothing to do with paper qualification, that said,it allows me to weed out the late achievers from the teeming throngs of applications,let me ask you,if you were so good,why couldn't you make your papers when others were making theirs,this attitude of reaping where you didn't sow ,wuruwuru to the answer is the problem with Nigeria,you didn't make the same results but you want the same pay.utterly ridiculous.
And when next you are in need of heart surgery, kindly request for a HND holder instead of a MBBS holder,
Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by Nobody: 1:59am On Jul 15, 2017
Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 15, 2017
Yemikola:
Be wise, read btw the lines, the dichotomy still exists. Placing them on equal salary though commendable is nt enough. Why should hnd holders have different nomenclature, senior inspectors. That puts them far below a superintendent in paramilitary ranking system, even the salaries will differ with time. Customs' template is the best, both hnd & Bsc start with same level and rank. And it is worthy of note that this only applies to paramilitary.
Hmmmmmm.your contribution is noted and is a welcome idea
Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by infantlion(m): 3:47pm On Jul 15, 2017
ndidibabe:
No be UME wey you fail carry you go Poly? No one will intentionally want to attend Poly....
What a pity!!! U see...Hasty generalization! ! Did I tell u that I studied in a Polytechnic?
Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by glossy6(f): 4:07pm On Jul 16, 2017
lonelydora:

Which polytechnic you attend?
Poly Nekede HND Accountancy, FCA, FCTI, MBA
Any other question? Qualified as ACA first attempts at PE 1 & PE 2
Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by lonelydora: 8:10pm On Jul 16, 2017
glossy6:

Poly Nekede
HND Accountancy, FCA, FCTI, MBA

Any other question?
Qualified as ACA first attempts at PE 1 & PE 2

I didn't ask for all your certifications, my honourable bank manager. Lol. Good one. Keep it up.
Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by samazeezat(m): 8:25am On Jul 29, 2017
It is only in kano state that the dichotomy has TRULY been removed .

Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by samazeezat(m): 8:27am On Jul 29, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Hmmmmmm.your contribution is noted and is a welcome idea

Pls check out the circular I posted earlier. The issue of cadres have been harmonised. They are all equal now.
Re: FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders by MrAkata: 1:19am On Jul 22, 2020
This may suffice in Nigeria but this isn't applicable everywhere. This information is counterproductive and indicative of why some people are apprehensive about employing Nigerians/Africans

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Female Lawyer And Her Father: Before And After Photos / Ritualists Now Attacking Schools (photos) / Landmark University Begins Rice Production (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.