Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,862 members, 7,841,242 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

List Of Countries That Voted For And Against The UN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / List Of Countries That Voted For And Against The UN (1511 Views)

Pres Buhari Addresses The Nation, Thanks Millions Of Nigerians That Voted Him / pictures those that voted for CHANGE can relate to / “I Will Vote Buhari In 2019 As A Pay Back To All That Voted Him In 2015" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Countries That Voted For And Against The UN by fellowman: 10:48pm On Dec 21, 2017
The U. N . General Assembly on Thursday overwhelmingly passed a measure rejecting the Trump administration’ s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel ’ s capital, a stunning rebuke of a U . S . decision that allies and adversaries alike warned would undermine prospects for peace .

Despite U. S . threats to cut aid to countries that backed the resolution and even funding for the United Nations itself , 128 countries voted in favor of the measure. Only nine countries — including the United States and Israel — voted against it. Another 35 abstained , and 21 were absent .

The vote also underscored the apparent futility of the U . S . campaign to sway votes by
threatening to cut funding , which some countries viewed as an effort to intimidate them into submission. Although Trump said Wednesday that he would be “ watching” for countries that receive a lot of U . S . aid and voted “ against us , ” the list of co- sponsors grew at the last minute to include Egypt and Jordan , the only two countries besides Israel that receive more than $1 billion in U. S . aid annually.
Nikki Haley , the U . S . ambassador to the United Nations , set the stage for a future showdown .
“ The United States will remember this day in which it was singled out in this assembly for the very act of exercising our right as a sovereign nation , ” she said . “ We will remember it when, once again , we are called up to make the world ’ s largest contribution to the U . N . , and we will remember it when many countries come calling on us to pay even more and to use our influence for their benefit . ”

None of the countries that voted with the United States and Israel against the resolution are diplomatic powerhouses — Guatemala , Honduras , Togo and the Pacific island states of Micronesia , the Marshall Islands, Nauru and Palau . Among those voting in favor were Russia , China and several U . S . allies , notably Britain , France , Germany , Italy , Greece , Japan and Turkey . The abstaining nations included Canada , Mexico, Australia , Colombia , Haiti , Poland and the Philippines
Re: List Of Countries That Voted For And Against The UN by softmind24: 11:14pm On Dec 21, 2017
Good, they should cut their useless aids

1 Like

Re: List Of Countries That Voted For And Against The UN by Nigeriadondie: 11:17pm On Dec 21, 2017
undecidedThough I am a christian, I do feel sympathy for the plight of the Palestinians at the hands of the Israeli occupation.
The US that claims to be d beacon of democracy and freedom have belied that claim by supporting the repeated violations of international laws by the Israelis and in many cases turning a blind eye especially on the settlement issues as well as the violations of numerous UN resolutions making it an irresponsible member of the UN. The fact that Israel has the military advantage makes it a bully who has always been willing to wield the big stick.

I share the sentiments of late Nelson Mandela who consistently advocated for the freedom of the Palestinians from Israeli occupation who said:’Our freedom from apartheid is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians’. Sadly his statements which remained consistent with his views until his death made the Israelis stayed away from his burial as there was no single Israeli representative present.
Till date, RSA has not changed its view on this contentious issue. The South African have always has had a sympathetic view of the Palestinians.

For Christians who would hastily support the Israelis repression of the Palestinians should realize that the Israelis are not christian but practices Judaism. They killed Jesus Christ and it was foretold that they would be abandoned by God. Read Matthew 23:37-39. This was illustrated in Matthew 21:33-43.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Countries That Voted For And Against The UN by sammieguze(m): 6:14am On Dec 22, 2017
I know Nigeria will be there already and I honestly think it's the right thing to do

My problem however is the let's destroy it mentality those people have when things don't go their way
Again, I think it's the right thing to do
Re: List Of Countries That Voted For And Against The UN by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 22, 2017
To hell with UN resolution! Trump has spoken and there is nothing UN can do aboit it.
Where was the UN when Assad was slaughtering his people with chemical weapons?
Where was the UN when muslims are busy terrorising everybody?

To Hell with Buhari's vote!
Buhari voted for himself, his children, his Yoruba muslims(fake) and his (original) northern Mulims

His vote is not the position of Nigerians.
His vote will not change anything.

America has the capacity to erase every life on planet earth!

1 Like

Re: List Of Countries That Voted For And Against The UN by Pavore9: 7:42am On Dec 22, 2017
Those Countries that hitherto depended on the U.S for aid but voted against it should become smart in sourcing alternative funding because it is unnatural to still expect U.S to ignore that.

(1) (Reply)

We Will Not Vote For You Unless You Do These 11 Things: Presidential Aspirants / Nigerians React To FG On Plans New Refinery Close To Niger Republic (photos) / Exposed: See Faces Of The ‘thugs’ Who Snatched The Senate’s Mace (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.