Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,067 members, 7,852,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 09:55 PM

What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? (10643 Views)

Living Wraith Or 'akudaya', In Yoruba Traditional Belief; Myth Or Reality? / Be Sure Of Your Afterlife Before You Depart / A Thread Of My Questions To Vaxx on his religion - Yoruba Traditional belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by Holyfield1(m): 1:56pm On Feb 09, 2018
Over the years I've always inquired on the belief of the afterlife according to the Yoruba tradition.

Why do the Yoruba's believe life originated from Olodumare and where will man go after death?

Do they also believe there is a Heaven or Hell where one will go after death and be judged by their deeds on earth?

I've always pondered about the belief in reincarnation as seen in such names as babatunde, yewande, iyabo and the ancestral visits as the egunguns (masquerade) claim or a return of the ori (soul) to olodumare

When a man dies and coincidentally a child is born in the family do they really come back to being or is it a way of consoling the family of the deceased making them believe the deceased came back to life in another form?

Is incarnation or Akudaaya actually real or some kind of fictitious assertions to make people believe in them?

What is the fate of Esu, Obatala, Sango, Oya and the rest of the gods?

Cc: Babalawo

Kingebukasblog, Hardmirror, Seun

Please I need y'all to help me clarify this.
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by hopefulLandlord: 1:57pm On Feb 09, 2018
vaxx
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by hahn(m): 2:00pm On Feb 09, 2018
Hopefully this thread will offer valuable information
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by Holyfield1(m): 2:08pm On Feb 09, 2018
Hahn, hopefulLandlord your contributions are highly welcomed cool
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 2:08pm On Feb 09, 2018
BELIEVING IN JUDGMENTAL GOD AND NON EXISTING DEVIL STEAL YOUR FUTURE.

The Yoruba afterlife consists of Reincarnation. However, what distinguishes the Yoruba reincarnation concepts from Indian versions is that Yoruba version explain that you reincarnate from your ancestors and into your descendants. The Indian version is a lie crafted by Aryans to deceive the Black Indians into believing that they can reincarnate into other castes so there's no reason to fight against the higher castes but just hope to reincarnate into it in the next life. This is all lies and propaganda.

The truth is that you can only reincarnate thru your clan or extended-family descendants. It doesn't have to be your direct great grandchild (it can be, for example, the great-grandchild of your second-cousin for example). It just has to have enough of your DNA code for you to transfer your spirit into it. In theory, you can transfer to anyone who shares your ethnic group DNA code. However, most genetic DNA theories are racist manipulation of science. DNA is not just a physical code but like a keyhole that allows you to open doors in the next reincarnation.

If you do not have the proper key (DNA), you cannot open the keyhole of someone who doesn't share your DNA sequence. This is why many Yoruba names point to the reincarnation of people, but always thru the extended-family. Names like Babatunde (father has returned) reflect the Yoruba notion that reincarnation is a family affair.

This is why ancestral veneration is important in Yoruba. You are not just talking to dead people; you are remembering and learning from your past.

If you do not learn from your past (in this life and in former ones), you will repeat mistakes. That is the purpose of ancestral veneration (egungun) in IFA: Yoruba Scientific Spirituality.Also, Yoruba reincarnation does not believe that once you reach "nirvana" you will stop reincarnating.

So don't believe you will escape that way either. The Odu Ifa tells us that we will all reincarnate until every single human has reached. enlightenment. We are a communal species.

When you don't understand this truth about reincarnation, you will not take efforts to improve the conditions of your clan or ethnic group because you think you will escape it in death's heaven or join another ethnic group in reincarnation. Then when you return to Earth in the same oppressed ethnic group, you complain even though in your former life you did not fight to liberate your ethnic group.

You must understand this cycle. Though the Europeans and Beige race pretends to be Christian, they understand true Reincarnation very well. This is why their clans establish strong dynasties and they accumulate wealth not just for them, but for the next three generations after them. They know they are coming back and they want to be wealthy while they sell you the lie that you can die and go to heaven to escape this cycle.I.e., Black folks. You will not escape your oppression in death's heaven nor in Indian reincarnation.

You are going to continue coming to Earth as a Black person and you are going to continue to struggle as Black until you begin to plan for the progress of Blacks three generations into the future (that you have enough prosperity that you can take care of your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren).
A true devotee of the egungun plans for the next 16 generations of prosperity.

copy from one of my topic.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 2:16pm On Feb 09, 2018
Holyfield1:
Over the years I've always inquired on the belief of the afterlife according to the Yoruba tradition.

Why do the Yoruba's believe life originated from Olodumare and where will man go after death?

Do they also believe there is a Heaven or Hell where one will go after death and be judged by their deeds on earth?

I've always pondered about the belief in reincarnation as seen in such names as babatunde, yewande, iyabo and the ancestral visits as the egunguns (masquerade) claim or a return of the ori (soul) to olodumare

When a man dies and coincidentally a child is born in the family do they really come back to being or is it a way of consoling the family of the deceased making them believe the deceased came back to life in another form?

Is incarnation or Akudaaya actually real or some kind of fictitious assertions to make people believe in them?

What is the fate of Esu, Obatala, Sango, Oya and the rest of the gods?

Cc: Babalawo

Kingebukasblog, Hardmirror, Seun

Please I need y'all to help me clarify this.

ESU , OBATALA,OYA, SANGO are NOT gods, the are called orisha. orisha means ori ti a sha . the head we specially selected. we venerate them to annex their energy , we do not worship them . yoruba only worship oludumare. yoruba traditional religion is monotheistic.

8 Likes

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 7:17pm On Feb 09, 2018
vaxx:
BELIEVING IN JUDGMENTAL GOD AND NON EXISTING DEVIL STEAL YOUR FUTURE.

The Yoruba afterlife consists of Reincarnation. However, what distinguishes the Yoruba reincarnation concepts from Indian versions is that Yoruba version explain that you reincarnate from your ancestors and into your descendants. The Indian version is a lie crafted by Aryans to deceive the Black Indians into believing that they can reincarnate into other castes so there's no reason to fight against the higher castes but just hope to reincarnate into it in the next life. This is all lies and propaganda.

The truth is that you can only reincarnate thru your clan or extended-family descendants. It doesn't have to be your direct great grandchild (it can be, for example, the great-grandchild of your second-cousin for example). It just has to have enough of your DNA code for you to transfer your spirit into it. In theory, you can transfer to anyone who shares your ethnic group DNA code. However, most genetic DNA theories are racist manipulation of science. DNA is not just a physical code but like a keyhole that allows you to open doors in the next reincarnation.

If you do not have the proper key (DNA), you cannot open the keyhole of someone who doesn't share your DNA sequence. This is why many Yoruba names point to the reincarnation of people, but always thru the extended-family. Names like Babatunde (father has returned) reflect the Yoruba notion that reincarnation is a family affair.

This is why ancestral veneration is important in Yoruba. You are not just talking to dead people; you are remembering and learning from your past.

If you do not learn from your past (in this life and in former ones), you will repeat mistakes. That is the purpose of ancestral veneration (egungun) in IFA: Yoruba Scientific Spirituality.Also, Yoruba reincarnation does not believe that once you reach "nirvana" you will stop reincarnating.

So don't believe you will escape that way either. The Odu Ifa tells us that we will all reincarnate until every single human has reached. enlightenment. We are a communal species.

When you don't understand this truth about reincarnation, you will not take efforts to improve the conditions of your clan or ethnic group because you think you will escape it in death's heaven or join another ethnic group in reincarnation. Then when you return to Earth in the same oppressed ethnic group, you complain even though in your former life you did not fight to liberate your ethnic group.

You must understand this cycle. Though the Europeans and Beige race pretends to be Christian, they understand true Reincarnation very well. This is why their clans establish strong dynasties and they accumulate wealth not just for them, but for the next three generations after them. They know they are coming back and they want to be wealthy while they sell you the lie that you can die and go to heaven to escape this cycle.I.e., Black folks. You will not escape your oppression in death's heaven nor in Indian reincarnation.

You are going to continue coming to Earth as a Black person and you are going to continue to struggle as Black until you begin to plan for the progress of Blacks three generations into the future (that you have enough prosperity that you can take care of your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren).
A true devotee of the egungun plans for the next 16 generations of prosperity.

copy from one of my topic.
Interesting Vaxx. I believe that every kind of culture and race has some kind of explanation for reincarnation, this is just one of them to me and I enjoy hearing the Yoruba take on it. I enjoy studying traditional African religion, spicifically that of the Yoruba people as that was the first ethnic group that I had come into contact with when first discovering that I am fascinated with African cultures and peoples... doesn't help that the person who introduced me to all of this is a Yoruba singer! LOL Wonder if maybe she has practiced the Yoruba spiritual system before?
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 7:20pm On Feb 09, 2018
Also I don't think Ifa is the name for the Yoruba spiritual system.... Ifa is just the name for the system of divination which is just part of their spirituality/religion. In a more modern religious sense, we can term the entire thing Ifa, just like Christianity or Islam or Judaism or Hinduism..... but really spiritual systems like that don't have names as they are a part of life in general, as many say.

1 Like

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 7:37pm On Feb 09, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

Interesting Vaxx. I believe that every kind of culture and race has some kind of explanation for reincarnation, this is just one of them to me and I enjoy hearing the Yoruba take on it. I enjoy studying traditional African religion, spicifically that of the Yoruba people as that was the first ethnic group that I had come into contact with when first discovering that I am fascinated with African cultures and peoples... doesn't help that the person who introduced me to all of this is a Yoruba singer! LOL Wonder if maybe she has practiced the Yoruba spiritual system before?
which ethnic group do you belong too? on my own personal study, we blacks , all over Africa share a lot in common. our believe system is just too similar. i will be ready to tell you much about Yoruba spiritual system so that you can see the similarities yourself and also appreciate it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 7:45pm On Feb 09, 2018
FeelDeMusic:
Also I don't think Ifa is the name for the Yoruba spiritual system.... Ifa is just the name for the system of divination which is just part of their spirituality/religion. In a more modern religious sense, we can term the entire thing Ifa, just like Christianity or Islam or Judaism or Hinduism..... but really spiritual systems like that don't have names as they are a part of life in general, as many say.
ifa is much like a computerized system that gather the thought and rational decision of the Yoruba. a storage fercility that contain every issues that deals with mankind. be it philosophy , politics and moral code. our culture is our religion. you may not be totally wrong if you call it ifa traditional religion. i prefer the coinage.

1 Like

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 7:54pm On Feb 09, 2018
vaxx:
ifa is much like a computerized system that gather the thought and rational decision of the Yoruba. a storage Felicity that contain every issues that deals with mankind. be it philosophy , politics and moral code. our culture is our religion. you may not be totally wrong if you call it ifa traditional religion. i prefer the coinage.
I think you're right about that.... that's something else I've heard.

I'm actually not black at all (hahahaha)! I'm white and from America, but I have a huge fascination with this kind of stuff. I'm assuming you practice this religion?
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 8:15pm On Feb 09, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

I think you're right about that.... that's something else I've heard.

I'm actually not black at all (hahahaha)! I'm white and from America, but I have a huge fascination with this kind of stuff. I'm assuming you practice this religion?
nice having you here bro. we are one under the surface of the earth. yes it is my way of life. my dad a traditionalist ,my mom a Muslim) was educated in an Anglican school . this make me have adequate knowledge of the three major religion in Nigeria. ifa is growing in the usa. will you like to connect with your fellow brethren? and you are free to ask me anything

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 8:23pm On Feb 09, 2018
vaxx:
nice having you here bro. we are one under the surface of the earth. yes it is my way of life. my dad a traditionalist ,my mom a Muslim) was educated in an Anglican school . this make me have adequate knowledge of the three major religion in Nigeria. ifa is growing in the usa. will you like to connect with your fellow brethren?

Yes, I totally agree that we are truly all one people! Lovely philosophy.....

My fellow brethren? What do you mean... like people like you who practice Ifa? I'm confused.....
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 8:25pm On Feb 09, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

Yes, I totally agree that we are truly all one people! Lovely philosophy.....

My fellow brethren? What do you mean... like people like you who practice Ifa? I'm confused.....
yes , checking on your topic, do you use screen reader?

2 Likes

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 8:28pm On Feb 09, 2018
Also, I adore writing, especially creative writing, and even more spicifically fantasy writing. In a story I'm working on one of the characters, who is a person in real life as well, is the daughter of the goddess Osun. I chose this trait for her because I just thought of how Osun represents love and beauty and femininity and harmony, and this person brings those kinds of things to me whenever I listen to her sing (she's Asa BTW)! You might have guessed because of my signature.....

Anyhow, I'm also incorporating that aspect of hers into the story since I think it's cool to put some more traditional cultural aspects in it since it tells of African characters, musicians, all real musicians, in my story they go to a music school.
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 8:32pm On Feb 09, 2018
FeelDeMusic:
Also, I adore writing, especially creative writing, and even more spicifically fantasy writing. In a story I'm working on one of the characters, who is a person in real life as well, is the daughter of the goddess Osun. I chose this trait for her because I just thought of how Osun represents love and beauty and femininity. and harmony, and this person brings those kinds of things to me whenever I listen to her sing (she's Asa BTW)! You might have guessed because of my signature.....

Anyhow, I'm also incorporating that aspect of hers into the story since I think it's cool to put some more traditional cultural aspects in it since it tells of African characters, musicians, all real musicians, in my story they go to a music school.
interesting, osun symbolized beauty and love. she is called iya olomo yoyo. mother of plenty children ...... i love music too but my voice is not good enough?

1 Like

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 8:36pm On Feb 09, 2018
vaxx:
interesting, osun symbolized beauty and love. she is called iya olomo yoyo. mother of plenty children ...... i love music too but my voice is not good enough?
Hey, it's ok, don't be like that! I'm sure that you're able to sing good!

I also am trying to play the talking drum but I'm not great at it (LOL)! I'm a musician though, I have perfect pitch and rhythm, I'm assuming that this is partially caused by my blindness.

I was born blind at birth and my retinas detached themselves from my eyes because they grew too quickly, as a result I've never been able to see throughout my entire life... but I'm just fine with that! I adore being blind honestly, and I think it has given me a lot of advantages over my sighted peers (LOL)!

I have loved all sorts of music throughout my life. Currently I'm obviously into African/Nigerian/Yoruba music and studying it. I love playing the gangan! It's so unusual but so cool at once! I love the saworoide bells that go on the iyalu, the sound that they make by themselves and the sound they make along with the drum. It's beautiful!
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 8:44pm On Feb 09, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

Hey, it's ok, don't be like that! I'm sure that you're able to sing good!

I also am trying to play the talking drum but I'm not great at it (LOL)! I'm a musician though, I have perfect pitch and rhythm, I'm assuming that this is partially caused by my blindness.

I was born blind at birth and my retinas detached themselves from my eyes, as a result I've never been able to see throughout my entire life... but I'm just fine with that! I adore being blind honestly, and I think it has given me a lot of advantages over my sighted peers (LOL)!

I have loved all sorts of music throughout my life. Currently I'm obviously into AFrican/Nigerian/Yoruba music and studying it. I love playing the gangan! It's so unusual but so cool at once!
whao. that means you are using screen reader. you have already gather the strength to move ahead . that is good of you.... am sure you can learn drumming too. have you heard about yoruba talking drum?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 8:53pm On Feb 09, 2018
vaxx:
whao. that means you are using screen reader. you have already gather the strength to move ahead . that is good of you.... am sure you can learn drumming too. have you heard about yoruba talking drum?
Yes, I am using a screen reader! Wow, that's so interesting you know that! No one knows what that is so I always have to explain it to them!

Hahahahahahahaha I just told you I play the gangan... isn't that the talking drum? I'm not amazing at it but I'm practicing and being taught by a teacher in England, and one in Atlanta wants to teach me too.
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 9:00pm On Feb 09, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

Yes, I am using a screen reader! Wow, that's so interesting you know that! No one knows what that is so I always have to explain it to them!

Hahahahahahahaha I just told you I play the gangan... isn't that the talking drum? I'm not amazing at it but I'm practicing and being taught by a teacher in England, and one in Atlanta wants to teach me too.
there is a particular dance associated with gangan . it is called bata. it take lot of energy when you are dancing. am sure you can learn that too. tell me about your believe?

1 Like

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 9:07pm On Feb 09, 2018
vaxx:
there is a particular dance associated with gangan . it is called bata. it take lot of energy when you are dancing. am sure you can learn that too. tell me about your believe?
Hmmmm, do you mean my religious beliefs? Well, I guess I believe that there is such thing as God, but that it's not really a person... I believe that God is more an entity, a force, something which we can't really understand or comprehend but that is everywhere and in everything, including you and I. That's what I think.

I was raised Jewish, and I still kind of practice my religion a bit, but neither me nor my father, who is also Jewish, really do anything with it anymore.
I thought bata was a kind of drum? So it's a dance too? Hmm, cool! I'll have to look it up.
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 9:14pm On Feb 09, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

Hmmmm, do you mean my religious beliefs? Well, I guess I believe that there is such thing as God, but that it's not really a person... I believe that God is more an entity, a force, something which we can't really understand or comprehend but that is everywhere and in everything, including you and I. That's what I think.

I was raised Jewish, and I still kind of practice my religion a bit, but neither me nor my father, who is also Jewish, really do anything with it anymore.

I thought bata was a kind of drum? So it's a dance too? Hmm, cool! I'll have to look it up.
A kind of pantheism . cool at least you do not reject GOD. yes bata is also a drum on its own with its special dance.

1 Like

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 9:24pm On Feb 09, 2018
vaxx:
A kind of pantheism . cool at least you do not reject GOD. yes bata is also a drum on its own with its special dance.
Yeah, I believe in God as I said, but I don't really believe much in the Abrahamic one.

Well that's confusing... now there's a bata dance and a drum! LOL Wow...

Also you take a very short time to get back, that's just fine and I kind of like that since we can chat casually and I also like to get back to others quickly.

I know that this is off topic but who is your favorite Yoruba musician? Do you like Asa like me?
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 9:47pm On Feb 09, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

Yeah, I believe in God as I said, but I don't really believe much in the Abrahamic one.

Well that's confusing... now there's a bata dance and a drum! LOL Wow...

Also you take a very short time to get back, that's just fine and I kind of like that since we can chat casually and I also like to get back to others quickly.

I know that this is off topic but who is your favorite Yoruba musician? Do you like Asa like me?
good then, i do not also subscribe to Abrahamic concept of God, but not totally. we share the same perspective when it comes to the nature of GOD(I.E)monotheism.

Do not be confused. it is interesting, you can check the video on Youtube...

nairaland made it seems like i am not out of the country, in fact i am at home... asa is cool, she is good with musical instrument like guitar. but due to my childhood upbringing, it is fela , though he is no more, i can still not do without the evergreen record. but i will put wande coal , olamide and Cynthia Morgan on my list

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 12:05am On Feb 10, 2018
vaxx:
good then, i do not also subscribe to Abrahamic concept of God, but not totally. we share the same perspective when it comes to the nature of GOD(I.E)monotheism.

Do not be confused. it is interesting, you can check the video on Youtube...

nairaland made it seems like i am not out of the country, in fact i am at home... asa is cool, she is good with musical instrument like guitar. but due to my childhood upbringing, it is fela , though he is no more, i can still not do without the evergreen record. but i will put wande coal , olamide and Cynthia Morgan on my list
Fela is really cool! For me it's Asa, King Sunny Ade, Omawumi, Angelique Kidjo (she's half Yoruba), and..... hmmmm.... I'm not sure.

Why would people think you're out of the country? I thought you were in Naija hahaha
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 7:50am On Feb 10, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

Fela is really cool! For me it's Asa, King Sunny Ade, Omawumi, Angelique Kidjo (she's half Yoruba), and..... hmmmm.... I'm not sure.

Why would people think you're out of the country? I thought you were in Naija hahaha
king sunny Ade haaaaa, it cool bro...

No, am not in the country.
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by shadeyinka(m): 2:15pm On Feb 10, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

You are correct.
Bats is a kind of drum.
We also have "Ijo Bata": literally, Dance to Bata Drum/Music.

Few Yoruba people can dance to Bata Music
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 2:31pm On Feb 10, 2018
shadeyinka:

You are correct.
Bats is a kind of drum.
We also have "Ijo Bata": literally, Dance to Bata Drum/Music.

Few Yoruba people can dance to Bata Music

Oh man, now I'm even more confused (hahahahahahaha)!

Ok, so bata is a dance you do with the gangan, and it's also a drum, and it's also a dance you do with the bata drum.. is this right?

I actually have a gangan that was made for me in Nigeria, in the village of Ayete in Oyo State. It's beautiful! Made the traditional way, with deerskin leather tention strings, caffskin heads, and that long piece of string that comes down off it.... what's that called? In fact I actually want to know all of the Yoruba names of all the parts of the drum... the skin/heads, the tention strings, the string, the leather strap that goes on your shoulder.... I'm just so curious!
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by shadeyinka(m): 3:02pm On Feb 10, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

Oh man, now I'm even more confused (hahahahahahaha)!

Ok, so bata is a dance you do with the gangan, and it's also a drum, and it's also a dance you do with the bata drum.. is this right?

I actually have a gangan that was made for me in Nigeria, in the village of Ayete in Oyo State. It's beautiful! Made the traditional way, with deerskin leather tention strings, caffskin heads, and that long piece of string that comes down off it.... what's that called? In fact I actually want to know all of the Yoruba names of all the parts of the drum... the skin/heads, the tention strings, the string, the leather strap that goes on your shoulder.... I'm just so curious!
Bata: Drum sounds like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVSExx-5r6k

Se people class Bata as a talking drum but I don't (maybe its because I really don't understand the music). It's not close to any speech (I could be wrong)

The Talking Drum (Various types from Iya-ilu, Gangan, Gbedu, Sakara, Ogido, Adamo and keri-keri )
Sounds like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aso0r4Zq-F4
Another (several types together)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE6Eo5YhuwM

I hope someone who is more vast in the Yoruba traditional culture on Nairaland can also help.

Cheers
Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by FeelDeMusic: 3:10pm On Feb 10, 2018
shadeyinka:

Bata: Drum sounds like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVSExx-5r6k

Se people class Bata as a talking drum but I don't (maybe its because I really don't understand the music). It's not close to any speech (I could be wrong)

The Talking Drum (Various types from Iya-ilu, Gangan, Gbedu, Sakara, Ogido, Adamo and keri-keri )
Sounds like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aso0r4Zq-F4
Another (several types together)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE6Eo5YhuwM

I hope someone who is more vast in the Yoruba traditional culture on Nairaland can also help.

Cheers
Thanks Shadeyinka! I've actually heard a lot of these drums, as I said I have a talking drum myself, I agree that the bata drums aren't talking drums even though people classify them as such.... Vaxx, do you think you have some input to give?

1 Like

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by vaxx: 3:36pm On Feb 10, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

Thanks Shadeyinka! I've actually heard a lot of these drums, as I said I have a talking drum myself, I agree that the bata drums aren't talking drums even though people classify them as such.... Vaxx, do you think you have some input to give?
it actually a metaphor. it is not that drum talk itself but skillful drummer can mimic the sound of the drum to actually reflect human voice. it sound like human humming.

bata also come with its special dance. and that dance is what is called ijo bata(bata dance) it is not only bata drum that talk. gangan , dundun also talk. likewise omele but omele is a supportive drum that go with sakara. these are just few i can remember for now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Yoruba Traditional Belief Of Afterlife? by shadeyinka(m): 4:13pm On Feb 10, 2018
vaxx:
it actually a metaphor. it is not that drum talk itself but skillful drummer can mimic the sound of the drum to actually reflect human voice. it sound like human humming.

bata also come with its special dance. and that dance is what is called ijo bata(bata dance) it is not only bata drum that talk. gangan , dundun also talk. likewise omele but omele is a supportive drum that go with sakara. these are just few i can remember for now.
cheesy
You are certainly on point.

Yoruba is a tonal language. One can actually tune the talking drum to sing any musical scale.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beauty Without Christ Is Ugliness - TB Joshua... / In Defense Of The Church And Its Leadership / What Is Your Favorite Worship Song?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.