Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,234 members, 7,825,904 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA (30072 Views)

Longest Recorded Earthquake In The History Of The World Lasted For 32 Yrs (Pics) / Nigeria Will Experience A Lunar Eclipse On Monday, January 21, 2019 - NASRDA / Earthquake In Abuja? - Now Happening! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by DaddyNimo(m): 6:42am On Sep 28, 2018
Harneyprojects:
One way around this uncertainty about seismic activities in Abuja and its environs is by contracting a competent firm like HarneyProjects limited to design and construct your buildings.
Check out www.harneyprojects.com for more details
your sales techniques are quite annoying! how does having you build my house stop It from falling victim to a natural disaster?? are u looking for foolish clients alone?
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Talknochip(m): 6:42am On Sep 28, 2018
Its all points to one thing; Poor governance and leadership!... We are our own government.... We provide almost everything for ourselves..from water,electricity,roads,housing etc
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Elijahrona(m): 6:43am On Sep 28, 2018
SamOgasco:

Oshare mavo?

I dey o. Earthquake news tire me
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Nobody: 6:51am On Sep 28, 2018
mechanics:
It was not APC that cause the problem, read very well.
Read again.. I didn't say APC is the cause.
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Icon4s(m): 7:03am On Sep 28, 2018
emmanuelpopson:
the.plates are moving and..the African craton may not be stable as we were once told... maybe its the beginning of the west African rift system...

modified..

reading this info just makes me.laugh... so borehole drilling is the cause of this seismic scare... when govt agencies are been run by padi padi people, they put round pegs in square holes... boreholes are vertically dug under the subsurface..and they can only be dangerous to cause earth quake IF Nigeria is under a subduction zone. zones where the plates are weak and move everytime...but we aren't.. these people wanna chop money for the buhari govt so they come out with panic information to make govt procure these seismic equipments and abuje been the rich mans environment will comply asap...

I can see you are a Geologist. So lets talk Geology.

It is true that we were taught that much of the African Plate is Seismically stable especially our part of the plate. Where are the seismically active zones? The Plate boundaries. Are we at or close to any major plate boundaries ? No.

Now, I would personally use the word ''dormant'' to describe the Seismicity of much of Nigeria particularly where we have the basement complex. Why ''dormant''? There are strike slip faults that exist within the Ibadan Unit and North Central Basement complex. Faulting is an indication of seismic activities. It simply means those zones were once seismically active before gaining equilibrium. When something is dormant in this context it simply means it was once active in times past and can become active at any time in the future. We could be close to that future as we are already beginning to see indications from Ogun, Oyo (part of the Ibadan Unit) and Abuja and Kaduna (Part of North Central Basement Complex). The case of Bayelsa may just be due to human activities like Oil Exploration and exploitation.

Now, on the issue of indiscriminate sinking of Bore-Holes as a remote cause. It is very possible but not likely a major cause. Bore-Holes no matter how Deep are too relatively shallow for the effect of ground water extraction to cause a major in-balance in the Earth's subsurface. These water are typically found in the interstitial spaces of acquifers. Mother nature has made it such that there is never vaccum. The draw down created by this water extraction will creat a pressure differetial that will allow water to migrate from other areas to fillup the void spaces created by the water being extracted and then also God has blessed us with plenty of Rains even in the Abuja and Kaduna area. This has ensured a continuous recharge of the acquifers either directly by infiltration or rise in water table occasioned by rise in River levels. So I Particularly find it disturbing that an agency such as that will put a major blame on bore Hole activities.

And as for the Mpape area where there are quarries for granitic materials used for construction, the quarrying activities may have created an inbalance especially as there is a strike -slip fault passing below the area which could be respeonsible for tremors.

By and large major Earth quakes are not expected in Nigeria. What we may have are low magnitude Earth-quakes or Tremors.

Now what is your take?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by kokomilala(m): 7:11am On Sep 28, 2018
We've never been ready for anything as nation.So,I'd like to see how we respond to the possibility of these seismi eruptions.
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by madgoat(m): 7:39am On Sep 28, 2018
elgramz:
Oh my God, please not in Ogun, thousands of headless bodies will be thrown up by the earthquake, it will be a horrible sight sad

Mumu grin

1 Like

Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by GeoOla25(m): 7:48am On Sep 28, 2018
Icon4s:

It is true that we were taught that much of the African Plate is Seismically stable especially our part of the plate. Where are the seismically active zones? The Plate boundaries. Are we at or close to any major plate boundaries ? No.

Now, I would personally use the word ''Passive'' to describe the Seismicity of much of Nigeria particularly where we have the basement complex. Why ''Passive''. There are strike slip faults that exist within the Ibadan Unit and North Central Basement complex. Faulting is an indication of seismic activities. It simply means those zones were once seismically active before gaining equilibrium. When something is passive it simply means it was once active in times past and can become active at any time in the future. We could be close to that future as we are already begining to see indications from Ogun, Oyo (part of the Ibadan Unit) and Abuja and Kaduna (Part of North Central Basement Complex). The case of Bayelsa may just be due to human activities like Oil Exploration and exploitation.

Now, on the issue of indiscriminate sinking of Bore-Holes as a remote cause. It is very possible but not likely a major cause. Bore-Holes no matter how Deep are too relatively shallow for the effect of ground water extraction to cause a major in-balance in the Earth's subsurface. These water are typically found in the interstitial spaces of acquifers. Mother nature has made it such that there is never vaccum. The draw down created by this water extraction will creat a pressure differetial that will allow water to migrate from other areas to fillup the void spaces created by the water being extracted and then also God has blessed us with plenty of Rains even in the Abuja and Kaduna area. This has ensured a continuous recharge of the acquires either directly by infiltration or rise in water table occasioned by rise in River levels. So I Particularly find it disturbing that an agency such as that will put a major blame on bore Hole activities.

And as for the Mpape area where there are quarries for granitic materials used for construction, the quarrying activities may have created an inbalance especially as there is a strike -slip fault passing below the area which could be respeonsible for tremors.

By and large major Earth quarkes are not expected in Nigeria. What we may have are low magnitude Earth-quakes or Tremors.

Now what is your take?
Your pints are valid but I don’t have strength to type... most of my fellow geologist that can provide professional recommendations are presently working in GTBank, Access Bank , FCMB and me myself in Real Estate.

Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Butoneday2(m): 8:07am On Sep 28, 2018
I want the earthquake to hit aso rock first. Zoo cantry.
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Icon4s(m): 8:23am On Sep 28, 2018
[quote author=GeoOla25 post=71595293][/quote]
Haha, then they are not professional Geologists cos they are not practicing.
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Nobody: 8:28am On Sep 28, 2018
emmanuelpopson:
the.plates are moving and..the African craton may not be stable as we were once told... maybe its the beginning of the west African rift system...

modified..

reading this info just makes me.laugh... so borehole drilling is the cause of this seismic scare... when govt agencies are been run by padi padi people, they put round pegs in square holes... boreholes are vertically dug under the subsurface..and they can only be dangerous to cause earth quake IF Nigeria is under a subduction zone. zones where the plates are weak and move everytime...but we aren't.. these people wanna chop money for the buhari govt so they come out with panic information to make govt procure these seismic equipments and abuje been the rich mans environment will comply asap...
U dey believe all this idiot, just look at the name of the agency, u will understand better, NASRDA, probably the most useless agency in Nigeria, they are only looking for ways to generate money and be a little relevant.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Chuksgeo: 8:39am On Sep 28, 2018
emmanuelpopson:

modified..

Exactly my thought, nevertheless lets not give doubt a chance afterall the executive and legislature collects over 40% of our national budget annually
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Tunagee(m): 9:19am On Sep 28, 2018
elgramz:
Oh my God, please not in Ogun, thousands of headless bodies will be thrown up by the earthquake, it will be a horrible sight sad

Story
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:42am On Sep 28, 2018
Baileyz101:
guys.. is this strike affecting banking hall transactions ? kindly quote me pls if u av any knowledge of this.
I take it you are referring to the NLC strike action.
It should not - banks are part of the organized private sector
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by ajl: 10:30am On Sep 28, 2018
emmanuelpopson:

modified..

Better not to comment or educate yourself before you do so. Read the page in this link. Maybe it would make sense to you since you don't believe in your own people.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/10162343/Earthquakes-from-onshore-gas-drilling-threaten-a-disaster-warn-residents-of-Dutch-city.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-21952428
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by profmallor: 10:32am On Sep 28, 2018
more of sinkholes coming not earthquakes..
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by ajl: 10:35am On Sep 28, 2018
profmallor:
more of sinkholes coming not earthquakes..

Probably not likely except if area is made of subsurface rocks that are generally limestone.
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by ajl: 10:47am On Sep 28, 2018
Icon4s:

Now, I would personally use the word ''Passive'' to describe the Seismicity of much of Nigeria particularly where we have the basement complex. Why ''Passive''. There are strike slip faults that exist within the Ibadan Unit and North Central Basement complex. Faulting is an indication of seismic activities. It simply means those zones were once seismically active before gaining equilibrium. When something is passive it simply means it was once active in times past and can become active at any time in the future. We could be close to that future as we are already begining to see indications from Ogun, Oyo (part of the Ibadan Unit) and Abuja and Kaduna (Part of North Central Basement Complex). The case of Bayelsa may just be due to human activities like Oil Exploration and exploitation.

Now, on the issue of indiscriminate sinking of Bore-Holes as a remote cause. It is very possible but not likely a major cause. Bore-Holes no matter how Deep are too relatively shallow for the effect of ground water extraction to cause a major in-balance in the Earth's subsurface. These water are typically found in the interstitial spaces of acquifers. Mother nature has made it such that there is never vaccum. The draw down created by this water extraction will creat a pressure differetial that will allow water to migrate from other areas to fillup the void spaces created by the water being extracted and then also God has blessed us with plenty of Rains even in the Abuja and Kaduna area. This has ensured a continuous recharge of the acquifers either directly by infiltration or rise in water table occasioned by rise in River levels. So I Particularly find it disturbing that an agency such as that will put a major blame on bore Hole activities.

By and large major Earth quakes are not expected in Nigeria. What we may have are low magnitude Earth-quakes or Tremors.

Now what is your take?

Not sure I agree with your point on water from other part of aquifer migrating to an aquifer zone that water is being drawn from. Yes, we know that aquifer water also move by convection or other forms of transport from one point to another but when rate of water extraction exceed the rate of replenishment then the level of water table drops below original level leaving interstitial air-filled pore spaces that are devoid of water. That's the kind of situation the agency is referring to. It's not new. Sane way excessive oil extraction is linked to earthquakes in certain parts of the world.

Let's use this analogy. Which is going to be easier to press down from top by compaction? A square shape sponge that is water soaked or same type of sponge with lot more air spaces?

In a earthquake situation, I am assuming that seismic wave velocity will be faster in rocks with lot of air-spaces than in rocks that is fully saturated with water. Hope that make sense when you think of seismic waves from earthquake or earth tremors epicentre and how it affects areas that are far from the epicenter.
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Icon4s(m): 11:45am On Sep 28, 2018
ajl:

Not sure I agree with your point on water from other part of aquifer migrating to an aquifer zone that water is being drawn from. Yes, we know that aquifer water also move by convection or other forms of transport from one point to another but when rate of water extraction exceed the rate of replenishment then the level of water table drops below original level leaving interstitial air-filled pore spaces that are devoid of water. That's the kind of situation the agency is referring to. It's not new. Sane way excessive oil extraction is linked to earthquakes in certain parts of the world.

Let's use this analogy. Which is going to be easier to press down from top by compaction? A square shape sponge that is water soaked or same type of sponge with lot more air spaces?

In a earthquake situation, I am assuming that seismic wave velocity will be faster in rocks with lot of air-spaces than in rocks that is fully saturated with water. Hope that make sense when you think of seismic waves from earthquake or earth tremors epicentre and how it affects areas that are far from the epicenter.

Firstly, if you go through my statement again you will see where I said it is possible but not likely. The report hinged more on Bore Hole Drilling as being the cause of the Tremors. Which I am not buying into. My opinion is it could be but chances are slim.

Then, I see your analogy and so let us pick them one after the other.

-How does the interstitial spaces in the rocks become air filled and devoid of water. Where is the air from?

-And yes rate of water extraction can exceed rate of replenishment within the immediate locality and this is typical of the Dry season. But the Mpape incident took place at the peak of rainy season when water levels are highest. Remember also that water travels fast so the water level that was depleted in the last dry season has long been replenished.

-And the second bolded which is a case of Earth quake due to Oil extraction. This is a very rare phenomenon even though it has happened in the past. What happens during Oil production? As the Oil leaves the reservoir the drive mechanism takes over and fill up the spaces left by the migrating Oil. This mechanism can be Water or the Gas Cap. This is a process called water coning and or Gas Cap expansion. No void or vacuum is left. So that analogy of empty Air space does not work here.

-Then finally on your last bolded, let me assume the presence of air space in Rock layers as deep as 100-200ft which you have opined. One of the factors that affect the velocity of travel of waves in a medium is what? Bulk Density of the medium. What is Bulk density? Density of the rock matrix and the fluid content. So between a water baring rock and Air bearing rock which should have a higher Bulk Density? Water bearing Rock because water is more dense than Air.

As Velocity is directly proportional to bulk density it simply implies that seismic waves have higher velocities in water bearing rocks than in Air bearing rocks.
(hint; Speed of sound in Air=340m/s, speed of sound in water=1481m/s).

Now over all get my point once again. Though it is possible for Bore Hole sinking to be responsible for the Tremors, it may not be the more likely reason. The natural tectonic setting IMHO may have more role to play than Bore Hole drilling. The Mpape incident could have been caused by disequilibrium created due to mining in the area and assisted by the strike-slip faults that run through the area. And not bore Holes.

I would recommend an intensive, Geological investigation using the latest technology for much of our Basement Complex areas, expecially areas that have received these Tremors in the recent past (ie last 100 years).

I will like to see your response.

1 Like

Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Friend01(m): 12:19pm On Sep 28, 2018
R2bees:
All these things happening in APC era. diaris god oo

I keep wondering why you some of you can't just stop writing if you have nothing important to say.
how has APC causer the earth tremors as predicted earthquakes is beyond me.
or do we have idiots pretending to be humans.
maybe,I think not.
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Friend01(m): 12:22pm On Sep 28, 2018
obi4eze:
APC is really a curse to this country. We are battling with Buhari, poverty, corruption, insecurity, and now this one.
I just hope the earthquake starts from the residences of the wicked politicians.
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Omonaijani: 1:19pm On Sep 28, 2018
So we should be expecting "major" earthquake in Nigeria now, God save us o.

http://campusbizng..com/2018/09/check-out-tecno-phone-with-20mp-front.html
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by richiepolymer(m): 1:47pm On Sep 28, 2018
smiley
For real, there have been earth tremors for years now. Auchi experienced it in the 90's. Every building in that axis has cracks on the walls that grows wider overtime. Now think about the sinkholes showing up here and there. I mean sink holes and not common erosion o...

DaddyNimo:

stupid agencies, calling landslides earthquake just to prove they are working and sophisticated... bunch of idiots, common pencil they can't produce... they are forming detecting earthquake.
Re: Major Earthquake Likely In Abuja, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Bayelsa – NASRDA by Analyst01(m): 4:40am On Sep 29, 2018
110,000 boreholes yielding 330,000MT of water daily.
That breaks down to 3MT or 3,000 cubic meters or 3,000,000 liters of water per borehole.

Very suspicious data.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Louise Jaiyeola Oduyoye Develops Neva, An Emergency Power Backup For Surgeons / Photos: Tour Through The Decades To Explore How Technology Has Changed. / Nigerian Builds Dredging Machine Out Of Scrap Metals And Car Spare Parts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.