Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,294 members, 7,894,254 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 06:33 AM

Picture Of Slums In The Usa - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (188955 Views)

Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria / Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / BBC Says 11 Million Lagosians Live In Slums - Rubbish Journalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 4:56pm On Jul 31, 2010
You haven't even seen any.

the sad part of the whole thing is that these "slums" are mostly inhabited by blacks and the condemned. sad

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by paddylo1(m): 5:00pm On Jul 31, 2010
@paddy_lo
even if u live in d Usa. . .Those places r known as run down and deprived areas in the usa not d "technical" language of a slum. . ."SLUMS WERE ERADICATED IN THE INDUSTRALISED WORLD IN THE 20th CENTURY"

U can call it what u like. . but i am telling that i would rather live in Ajegunle,than in North Philadelphia

where u have open drug dealing markets,daily gun battles,cops refuse to go to after midnight
u cant raise a kid there,Teenagers getting gunned down in broad daylight over $20. . it goes on and on

Mind u property values are depressed,the environment is shitty. . . .more and more kids are having kids. . so u have 10 in a house
houses are crumbling,illegal immigrants are moving in with their own problems. . . .no its a slum. . forget what they told u
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by nex(m): 5:01pm On Jul 31, 2010
@Ileke Idi

Please go to google images and search Detroit Slums. The picture above is the first result that shows up. So that picture is as real as can be. There are even worse pictures.

Underground Building\|/

A lot of america's slums are Very mobile too. All those white thrash destitutes living in trailer parks and stuff.

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 5:04pm On Jul 31, 2010
philip0906:

@honeric01
i didn't c d later pix,my bad. . .those r run down estates in d Usa.There r not many people living there,most of d buildings there r empty as people have left(especially d one in chicago).Those places do not qualify 2 be called slums according 2 wikipedia's definition of a slum.A slum is "densely populated". . .xteristics of d favelas in brazil,soweto(d largest in africa),ajegunle,slums in mumbai. . .all these places have millions of people shacked up in there. . .

Bro, people actually live in these buildings, i have pictures to back up my claim, the crackheads, wanderers and co live in these slums.

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 5:06pm On Jul 31, 2010
Millions of normal people live here not a few thousand or few hundred crack heads. . .These places r built of shack not run down upstairs or run down apprtment blocks. . .just don't want 2 deviate,else I woulda shown Y'all hundreds of pix of slums

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 5:07pm On Jul 31, 2010
The problem with developed countries is that they kinda abandon older houses to the detriment of the society while chasing after new innovations.

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 5:09pm On Jul 31, 2010
Ok, Phillip, what will you call these places?

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 31, 2010
nex:

@Ileke Idi

Please go to google images and search Detroit Slums. The picture above is the first result that shows up. So that picture is as real as can be. There are even worse pictures.

Underground Building\|/

A lot of america's slums are Very mobile too. All those white thrash destitutes living in trailer parks and stuff.

Interesting. Not saying it's not believable, just confused about that skyscraper/slum-joint . . .  

Anywaz, slums is everywhere. . . .just depends on if they're getting any aids from the govt.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by bkbabe97y(m): 5:12pm On Jul 31, 2010
honeric01:

The problem with developed countries is that they kinda abandon older houses to the detriment of the society while chasing after new innovations.

Dude, all the pictures you post are from the 1980's during the crack epidemic! Notice the cars? The dress styles? The hairstyles. . . . come on, man!
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 31, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Dude, all the pictures you post are from the 1980's during the crack epidemic! Notice the cars? The dress styles? The hairstyles. . . . come on, man!
grin grin grin
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 5:15pm On Jul 31, 2010
These are run down places where only a few hundred or few thousand live of which many r crack heads . . .by d way,some of those pix were taken in d late 80s at d height of d "chicago depression". . .Many inhabitants of these run down city have left. . .A slum,is "DENSELY POPULATED" not sparesly populated. . .
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 5:17pm On Jul 31, 2010
@bk/babe
what a coincidence. . .did not even c dat u noticed it 2 grin grin.many of those pix were taken in d late 80s like I said b4. . .many of them have now left d city. . .many of those u'll find there r drug addicts,criminals e.t.c
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by honeric01(m): 5:22pm On Jul 31, 2010
@philip0906

do you watch American ganstar movies? most of these places can be found in the scenes. many of these buildings still exist in America, you can not deny the fact that no where is Heaven and that no where is completely slum free.

BTW, some of the pix were taken in the late 90s and early 2000s.

do you know Harlem?

Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 5:29pm On Jul 31, 2010
^^
many of those buildings have been abandoned. . .nobody lives there.Many of d houses,have been put up 4 sale at ridiculous prices. . .There is a difference btw a slum and an abandoned council estate(where probably only few crackheads and destitutes live). . .like i said,a slum is densely populated.those places ain't densely populated.k? wink
by d way,those places r not integral or only make up a minute part of the developed countries. . .a slum,is an integral part of d developing country-xteristics of slums
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by bkbabe97y(m): 5:34pm On Jul 31, 2010
philip0906:

@bk/babe
what a coincidence. . .did not even c dat u noticed it 2 grin grin.many of those pix were taken in d late 80s like I said b4. . .many of them have now left d city. . .many of those u'll find there r drug addicts,criminals e.t.c

Dude, I was born and raised in NY, U think I wont recognize my own city?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by bkbabe97y(m): 5:39pm On Jul 31, 2010
honeric01:

@philip0906

do you watch American ganstar movies? most of these places can be found in the scenes. many of these buildings still exist in America, you can not deny the fact that no where is Heaven and that no where is completely slum free.

BTW, some of the pix were taken in the late 90s and early 2000s.

do you know Harlem?

So, u based your knowledge of NY on "American Gangsta Movies"? Is that so? Did it occur to you that maybe, just maybe, some of the buildings your'e quoting from your Gangsta movies were actually in perfect condition but cus of the scene the Director wants to depict he makes the building  and surrounding area look decrepit?!! Did it occur to u? U think shooting a Hollywood movie is like shooting a Nollywood one with a camcorder and toy helicopter? Man, take a hike. Talking bout the pics were taken in the 90's and 2000s. . . Show me buildings from your country even now in 2010!

Do[b] YOU[/b] know Harlem?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by bkbabe97y(m): 5:42pm On Jul 31, 2010
paddy_lo:

Why do u ignorant ppl keep saying there are no slums in America

Yea its that terrible. . . .if u think its not,when next u visit philadelphia,go rent an apartment in North philly
see how long u will live before u are gunned down

I take it from ur claim that everyone in North Philly is dead, a zombie, or a ghost! If its that bad move back to Africa!
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by sage(m): 5:49pm On Jul 31, 2010
That 1st picture is NOT the USA
Abandoned skyscrapers are NOT slums

I am yet 2 see a real slum in the USA

The originator of this thread is a liar. Bold faced liar

Keep consoling yourself with that as if it is some sort of comparable solution to Naija

what a joke this thread is
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 31, 2010
paddy_lo:

U can call it what u like. . but i am telling that i would rather live in Ajegunle,than in North Philadelphia

where u have open drug dealing markets,daily gun battles,cops refuse to go to after midnight
u cant raise a kid there,Teenagers getting gunned down in broad daylight over $20. . it goes on and on

Mind u property values are depressed,the environment is shitty. . . .more and more kids are having kids. . so u have 10 in a house
houses are crumbling,illegal immigrants are moving in with their own problems. . . .no its a slum. . forget what they told u

some arguements here seem to term slum with bad buildings alone anyways thanks for the tip.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 6:00pm On Jul 31, 2010
^^
GBAm. . .and he lives in america lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 6:02pm On Jul 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

your arguement lack genuine intelligence.can you please tell me what makes a slum if you claimed slums in the US are better than those in nigeria.fyi,some parts of ajegunle has skyscrapper and good tarred,yet it's still regarded as a slum.no slum is better than another,a slum is a slum

You must be deluded if you believe your own lies.

What is regarded as slum in the West is norm in Nigeria.

Most of Nigeria that is regarded as middle class and even high brow would fall under slum in the West.

Even the top road works in Ikoyi and VI are shabby by western standards and not as good as Hackneys. Talkless of you senselessly deluding yourself that Ajegunle has [size=18pt]A[/size] good tarred road.

Talk about intelligence.

adolfe bad:

SAGAMITE
You such a retarded GHOMID!!
why would anyone sane need to compare slums?

A slum is a slum!

You are dimwit for even trying to compare the West to Nigeria.

All this blind patriotism morons.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 31, 2010
Have you been to Ajegunle before ? Or you are talking of what you read online.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 6:07pm On Jul 31, 2010
Mariory:

Wow, you really do have identity and self confidence issues don't you. When did anyone refer to this as a competition between slums in Nigeria and the US? Actually, I can't really be bothered. Carry on.

Do you have eye sight issues or are you just dyslexic?

Or you just did not read the posts that led to the comments?
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 6:08pm On Jul 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Have you been to Ajegunle before ? Or you are talking of what you read online.

Yes, I have.

Do you want to educate me on the skyscraper you saw in Ajegunle?

Which part was it at? How many floors was it? 38?

I wait for your education.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by sage(m): 6:12pm On Jul 31, 2010
People who are saying there are slums in the USA are talking rubbish. Utter nonsense

go and read the definition of a slum. Nigerian cities ARE the very definition of slums. Whole cities in Nigeria are slums

and some people here have the nerve to post a drunk persons apartment as a slum?? WTF!!!!
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 6:15pm On Jul 31, 2010
There might be what is "called" slums in the West, but if we insist on calling them slums, then 99% of all Nigerian cities and towns are huge slums. Probably only a handful of streets would be non-slum. The villages will simply be labelled "living in the wild".

MOST apartments, infrastructure and amenities in most slums in the US are better than same most middle class in Nigeria have access to.
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by philip0906(m): 6:21pm On Jul 31, 2010
Posted by: sage
Insert Quote
People who are saying there are slums in the USA are talking rubbish. Utter nonsense

go and read the definition of a slum. Nigerian cities ARE the very definition of slums. Whole cities in Nigeria are slums

and some people here have the nerve to post a drunk persons apartment as a slum?? WTF!!!!

grin grin. . .in their desperate bid 2 prove 2 us,dat there r "slums" in d usa. . .they evn went as far as showing us pix taken in d 80s grin grin and showed us abandoned buildings as slums. . .Paddy_lo was calling a crime ridden area a slum. . .dat means,London should be termed "slum city" with its high crime rate grin grin grin
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by sage(m): 6:22pm On Jul 31, 2010
Sagamite:

There might be what is "called" slums in the West, but if we insist on calling them slums, then 99% of all Nigerian cities and towns are huge slums.

MOST apartments, infrastructure and amenities in most slums in the US are better than same most middle class in Nigeria have access to.

I cant imagine the audacity people have. All of Nigeria is slum including the good parts of places like Lagos if you are going to classify anywhere in the USA as Slum. The so-called slums in the west dont have open gutters, water runs into every house, good roads and traffic signs everywhere  etc etc.

People have the nerve 1st to bring false pictures and then show us abandoned skyscraper as "slum". What a joke
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 31, 2010
Sagamite:

Yes, I have.

Do you want to educate me on the skyscraper you saw in Ajegunle?

Which part was it at? How many floors was it? 38?

I wait for your education.
paddy lo posts has been really educative and i suggest you learn from it.nothing bad in learning from others cuz you dont seem to know what really makes a slum.thanks
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by sage(m): 6:24pm On Jul 31, 2010
philip0906:

grin grin. . .in their desperate bid 2 prove 2 us,dat there r "slums" in d usa. . .they evn went as far as showing us pix taken in d 80s grin grin and showed us abandoned buildings as slums. . .Paddy_lo was calling a crime ridden area a slum. . .dat means,London should be termed "slum city" with its high crime rate grin grin grin

grin grin grin

They even included false pictures that are from other 3rd world countries as USA shocked shocked. Talk about desperation cheesy cheesy cheesy

They want to make themselves feel better about Nigeria grin
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by Sagamite(m): 6:26pm On Jul 31, 2010
philip0906:

Thanks!!!

I was looking at the fashion and the hairstyles and thinking is that not when I used to dance on Soul Train TV. grin
Re: Picture Of Slums In The Usa by sage(m): 6:27pm On Jul 31, 2010
North Phili, Detroit etc 100 times >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.>> Nigerian "cities" (ie slums that are labelled cities).

Those are actually 1st world cities with problems. Una wan try?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Remaining States That Will Decide The Winner Of The Presidential Election / Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) military training (pics) / Nigeria has finished me!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.