Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,861 members, 7,841,238 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari (798 Views)

We Remain Unshaken By Appeal Court Judgement – Delta APC / Atiku Abubakar Plans To Fight Corruption - PDP Reveals / I Joined APC To Help FG Fight Corruption, Says Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by joshuaakindele7(m): 9:08am On Feb 05, 2019
President Muhammadu Buhari, on Monday said that his resolve to make the fight against corruption one of the cardinal objectives of his administration was unshaken and promised to continue with the fight in his second tenure if given another mandate.

President Buhari stated this at the swearing in of nine members including a 27-year-old lawyer, Hannatu Muhammad into the board of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), chaired by Professor Bolaji Owasanoye.

He reminded the members that their appointment was a call to national service in a sector that is critical to the All Progressives Congress (APC)-led government agenda, adding that the fight against corruption was key to his government.

The President said he was poised to “pursue and will continue to pursue as I seek the mandate of Nigerians for a second term. “The fight against corruption is very crucial in our national development. This is why I have often said – if we do not kill corruption, corruption will kill Nigeria.”

While reminding the members of the damage corruption has inflicted on the nation’s development aspirations, alhe said, “apart from deliberate and wanton looting of our national wealth and common patrimony, corruption has eroded our values and ethical foundation as a nation.

“Corruption has negatively affected our political, economic and social life. Those opposed to our fight against corruption berate us for our focus, determination and single mindedness.

“They pretend that they do not know what corruption is. But Nigerians know what corruption is. Ordinary people know what corruption is and they support our effort and determination to fight it.

“The abuse of public office for private gain represents corruption in its worst form. The circumvention of public policies and processes for competitive advantage and profit is another form of corruption.

“The abuse of public office for personal benefit even if no bribery occurs is also corruption. The diversion of State revenue or miss-application of budgeted funds falls into the same category. “I am particularly delighted that the ICPC law under which you will operate is robust enough to assist government to sanitize the public sector of corruption in service delivery, public procurement, diversion of public revenue, deliberate misuse of public funds, and so on.

“As I have noted in recent times, despite our anti-corruption drive, some agencies of government still divert or refuse to fully account for revenue generated. “Rather than obey constitutional provisions and extant rules and regulations, such agencies continue as if nothing has changed.

“We are determined to ensure that every agency of government account for public revenue generated or expended. I am looking forward to ICPC’s support both for enforcement of anti-corruption laws and submission of policy measures and directives to prevent revenue leakage and diversion.”

The President urged the new ICPC board to collaborate with other government agencies such as the Office of the Auditor-General of the Federation towards mitigating wrong-doing in public expenditure. He particularly said he looked forward to receiving anti-corruption recommendations linked to e-Government standards and principles.

“As the old saying goes – “Prevention is better than cure”. Your statutory mandate recognizes this principle. Therefore, I encourage you to come up with strong preventive policy measures and strategies for government’s endorsement to take us to the NEXT LEVEL in the fight against corruption. I am aware that the ICPC laws empowers you to make proposals to assist government in this fight.

“Just about a month ago, I opened your Corruption Risk Assessment training for anti-corruption agencies in Africa. That initiative, in support of my role as the AU anti-corruption champion is welcome, and I Iook forward to seeing ICPC distinguish itself as a leading institution in Africa in building capacity to conduct and implement corruption risk assessments.

“But charity must begin at home. Therefore, your skills and expertise must be demonstrated in identifying MDAs highly prone to corruption and what must be done to bring about better governance.

“I am also aware that you have set up Anti-Corruption Transparency Unit in Ministries, Departments and Agencies. This is an important step towards corruption prevention and ensuring full compliance with government’s anti-corruption measures and our laws. “I encourage you to make effective use of our ACTU in MDAs by receiving reports directly from such Units and taking enforcement measures to assist government realize its objectives of a cleaner public service.

“My resolve to fight corruption remains unshaken. I assure you of my full support in the fight against corruption in Nigeria.” 27-year-old lawyer, Hannatu Muhammad (Jigawa) represents the youth in line with the requirement of the Act setting up the commission, the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina said, while reading her biography. Other women on the board are Dr. Grace Chinda (Delta), and Mrs. Olubukola Balogun (Lagos).

Other members are Okolo Titus-(Enugu), Obiora Iqwedebia (Anambra), Justice Adamu Bello (Katsina), Abdullahi Maikanu Saidu (Niger) and Yahaya Umah Daudu (Nasarawa). Recall that Owasanoye and eight others were in October last year confirmed by the Senate Chamber. The president had on July 25, 2018 sent the nomination requested the Parliament for confirmation.

He is the fourth substantive chairman of the commission since it was established by the Olusegun Obasanjo administration in 1999. Previous chairmen of the commission are Justice Mustapha Akanbi (2000-2010), Professor Uriah Angulu (Acting Chairman 2010 to March 2011), Dr. Rose Abang-Wushishi (Acting Chairman, March 2011-August 2011), Abdullahi Bako (Acting Chairman, (August 2011-November 2011), and Ekpo Una Owo Nta (November 2011 to January 2018.

In his remarks, Owasanoye said with President Buhari at the helm of the country, the will to fight corruption and bring the menace to a standstill was not in doubt.

He said: “We are lucky to be given this assignment because under your leadership, your unquestionable, unequivocal and unshakable resolve to deal with corruption is very well known. Therefore, the political will required to fight corruption is available. “I pledge on behave of the commission and members that we will do our best not to disappoint you or disappoint the country.”

Owasanoye was the executive secretary of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, PACAC.

He was appointed in August 2015 to “promote the reform agenda of the government on the anti-corruption effort, advise the present government on the prosecution of the war against corruption and the implementation of required reforms in Nigeria’s criminal justice system.”

SOURCE: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/02/my-resolve-to-fight-corruption-unshaken-buhari/

Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by StupidInyamiri: 9:10am On Feb 05, 2019
Nnamdi Kanu is back with a new story. This time, he says Atiku is from Cameroon and not a Nigerian; insists on "No leflendum, no erection". Unfortunately, those who wanted Nigerians to believe him when he said Buhari is Jubril from Sudan, are now asking Nigerians not to mind him ¿
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by Hundreddegrees(m): 9:10am On Feb 05, 2019
Start fighting corruption with Ameachi, Akpabio, Tinubu, Oshiomole,Lawal and the rest of your men then I'll take you serious, this your corruption war is nonsense and APC
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by haladadon: 9:13am On Feb 05, 2019
Buhari can not write this long post. I refuse to accept this.
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by Nbote(m): 9:17am On Feb 05, 2019
Pillow fight abi which fight? Can U actually fight urself?
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by magoo10(m): 9:19am On Feb 05, 2019
Buhari and hypocrisy are like bread and butter

Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by Beremx(f): 9:21am On Feb 05, 2019
I didn't bother to read sef. Mtscheew!!

Buhari is like a man chasing after rats in his house when his house is actually on fire.

Buhari abeg receive sense!!
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by Davash222(m): 9:38am On Feb 05, 2019
You’ve been fighting corruption almost 4 years now and still no result. Shame on you !!
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by Larryfest(m): 9:40am On Feb 05, 2019
This is all we have been hearing for the past 4years now yet the corruption has been thriving, masses are starving, soldiers are dying fighting a corrupt war they are never going to win, highest job lose so far etc so what exactly is the achievement of this man that one can boast of
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 05, 2019
Which corruption? Abeg back to Daura jare!!!

1 Like

Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by orisa37: 12:24pm On Feb 05, 2019
All Christians including Osinbajo and I know that you are anointed for that Resolve. "Touch not my Anointed", The Lord says.
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by Asshurbanipal: 12:29pm On Feb 05, 2019
This is already stale. Tell us something new
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by Asshurbanipal: 12:31pm On Feb 05, 2019
StupidInyamiri:
Nnamdi Kanu is back with a new story. This time, he says Atiku is from Cameroon and not a Nigerian; insists on "No leflendum, no erection". Unfortunately, those who wanted Nigerians to believe him when he said Buhari is Jubril from Sudan, are now asking Nigerians not to mind him ¿
A part of adamawa joining Nigeria through referendum and impostor from Sudan impersonating Buhari, what do these two have in common?
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 05, 2019
The way he keeps emphasizing this war against corruption,One would even think he knows the meaning of "corruption".If kadari Ahmed wasn't biased during Osibande-buhari interview,she would have asked Buhari to define corruption.
Buhari should be spare us all this anti corruption humbug.Nobody is buying it now that it has been exposed as witch-hunting of the opposition and suppression of dissident views in disguise.
Buhari claims to be fighting corruption yet you have the likes of Akpabio,Fashola,Amaechi e.t.c to whom one or two corruption allegations has been linked in your ranks.Does this man think all Nigerians are brainless like the Buharideens.?
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by buhariguy(m): 12:54pm On Feb 05, 2019
we Will fight CORRUPTION to a standstill, we believe in your integrity.
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by Starpress: 1:07pm On Feb 05, 2019
We understand sir, and that is why we will send you back to daura so you can keep pighting your kwaraption from dia.

Chinese scholarships available at undergraduate and graduate levels. Check my signature.

1 Like

Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by buhariguy(m): 1:29pm On Feb 05, 2019
Davash222:
You’ve been fighting corruption almost 4 years now and still no result. Shame on you !!
if you want to know if we are fighting CORRUPTION, go and steal, you Will see the result.
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by buhariguy(m): 1:33pm On Feb 05, 2019
Kolombz:
The way he keeps emphasizing this war against corruption,One would even think he knows the meaning of "corruption".If kadari Ahmed wasn't biased during Osibande-buhari interview,she would have asked Buhari to define corruption.
Buhari should be spare us all this anti corruption humbug.Nobody is buying it now that it has been exposed as witch-hunting of the opposition and suppression of dissident views in disguise.
Buhari claims to be fighting corruption yet you have the likes of Akpabio,Fashola,Amaechi e.t.c to whom one or two corruption allegations has been linked in your ranks.Does this man think all Nigerians are brainless like the Buharideens.?
the jobless AGGRESSIVE LAZY idiotic PIGS don't read,
buhari just defined CORRUPTION in three different perspective.
Re: My Resolve To Fight Corruption Unshaken – Buhari by Nobody: 1:57pm On Feb 05, 2019
buhariguy:
the jobless AGGRESSIVE LAZY idiotic PIGS don't read,
buhari just defined CORRUPTION in three different perspective.
So in your mind,you think Buhari said those things without the aid of a written script?
I don't really have time to banter words with you.
You have sank too deep into the abyss of zombeism that any attempt to pull you out is an exercise in futility.

(1) (Reply)

Owerri People say "NO" to APC (video) / Mathematical Proof That Buhari's 4x4 = 1tenure / Jubilation In Atiku's Hometown, Jada, As Buhari Defeats Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.