Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,550 members, 7,816,334 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC (55533 Views)

Abba Moro Wins Benue South Senate Seat, Replaces David Mark after 20 years / Orji Uzor Kalu Wins Abia North Senate Seat - Daily Trust / Udom Lambasts Senator Akpabio, As PDP Mourns Exit Of Senate Minority Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by Limitednow: 2:59pm On Feb 25, 2019
How I was forced to announce Okorocha winner of Senate seat – INEC Returning Officer

Sunday night’s melodrama snowballed into a full-blown controversy Monday morning when the returning officer for Imo West Senatorial District, Innocent Ibeabuchi, said he was “detained at the centre for days.”

He said this while announcing the results of the senatorial election for the zone.

Before reeling out figures at the district collation centre in the Independent Electoral Commission (INEC) Office in Orlu, Mr Ibeabuchi, a professor, said he was being held “under duress” to announce the results.

“My name is Ibeabuchi Izuchukwu Innocent, a professor at the Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO), the returning officer for Imo West (Orlu) senatorial zone”, the official said.

“My area commander; my P.Os; the party agents here present; members of the press; ladies and gentlemen.

“I have been held hostage here for days so I’m trying to ease off and take my life home back to my children and for the sake of that I am calling these results under duress,” the returning officer said.

Okowa Campaign AD

He then reeled out the results.

The Drama
After announcing nine out of 12 local government areas that made up the zone, Mr Ibeabuchi paused. The time was 9:45 p.m Sunday.

Three LGA results were being awaited to finalise results for Imo west district. They are Oru West, Ugwuta and Orlu.

The outgoing governor of the state, Rocha Okorocha who ran under the All Progressives Congress (APC) won in eight of the nine local governments announced earlier.

Mr Ibeabuchi said he received an urgent call from the state’s Resident Electoral Commission (REC), Francis Ezeonu, to return to Owerri and continue the process Monday morning.

But Mr Okorocha’s supporters insisted the returning officer “must complete” the announcement, “otherwise, he is not going anywhere.”

They blocked the professor from leaving the building. They refused to yield even when police officers intervened.

For hours, the APC agents who initially hauled verbal threats at the returning officer resorted to pleading. But Mr Ibeabuchi stuck to his guns.

He remained unmoved even after Mr Okorocha and his closest rival, Jones Onyeriri of the Peoples Democratic Party visited the centre at different intervals Monday morning.

Mr Ibeabuchi would later yield and declared Mr Okorocha winner of the election. He said the governor polled 97,762 votes while Mr Onyeriri returned second with 63,117 votes.

Mr Okorocha’s old rival and a former senator, Osita Izunaso, came third with 30,932 votes.

What happened?
It was not immediately clear why Mr Ibeabuchi initially refused to announce the remaining results on Sunday night but later did on Monday “under duress.”

When contacted, INEC spokesperson in the state, Emmanuella Opara, said the commission was following the development and had sent security personnel to bring Mr Ibeabuchi to Owerri.

“Let him come back here with his report and tell us what happened.”

Mr Onyeriri, who is a sitting member of the House of Representatives, later alleged that the returning officer was held hostage throughout the night by Mr Okorocha’s supporters after a directive from the REC to “stop the collation and return to Owerri.”

He said Mr Ibeabuchi stopped the process after observing “the whole results were rigged and inflated in favour” of the outgoing governor.

“Throughout the night, they used several means to compel the returning officer to go ahead with the wrong results.”

He further described elections in the zone as heavily rigged by Mr Okorocha, saying he would not accept the results.

“In Ideeato South, he brought all collation officers to his house and compelled them to write results on his behalf. The number turned out was far behind the number captured by smartcard reader.

“He also colluded with some RAC techs to make the smart card readers not to work to enable him to do normal registration, hence inflation of voters.

“I want that results to be changed because I will not accept them. I am the actual winner. In law, if the returning officer says he can no longer continue, you cannot force him.”

The election was adjudged by observers and participants to be fraught with irregularities such as ballot snatching, invasion of polling units and harassment of voters by thugs.

Shortly before the governor’s arrival, PREMIUM TIMES reported how a journalist, duly accredited to cover the polls, was harassed and briefly detained by the thugs in Mr Okorocha’s polling unit at about 10:14 am.

This happened in the presence of two female police officers at the centre.

Source:https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/316087-how-i-was-forced-to-announce-okorocha-winner-of-senate-seat-inec-returning-officer.html

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by chriskosherbal(m): 3:01pm On Feb 25, 2019
When it comes to election in Nigeria always expect revelations..

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 25, 2019
They no dey fall hand it's in their blood APC and intimidation are like twin brothers

142 Likes 12 Shares

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by Limitednow: 3:03pm On Feb 25, 2019
lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by rottennaija(m): 3:05pm On Feb 25, 2019
He won in 8 of 9 you announced. Then stopped and want to change location without announcing the remaining 3? Hmmm

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by cr7lomo: 3:07pm On Feb 25, 2019
APC has brought evil upon the land

34 Likes

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by rottennaija(m): 3:08pm On Feb 25, 2019
cr7lomo:
APC has brought evil upon the land

Really? What did PDP bring?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by Chelseaplus: 3:10pm On Feb 25, 2019
Watch Full Video Clip From HERE

1 Like

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by cr7lomo: 3:11pm On Feb 25, 2019
rottennaija:

Really? What did PDP bring?

So because PDP was assumed to hv brought evil , means we should continue with evil...this is the reason the white man says the black man is brainless and no different from animals

128 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by Asshurbanipal: 3:13pm On Feb 25, 2019
This election is a sham

68 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by brodalikeme(m): 3:15pm On Feb 25, 2019
And someone will come out to say, APC is better, or there is someone called Mr. Integrity in the land. This is depressing, I’m disgusted at everything this folks are doing

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by Nickijoy(f): 3:16pm On Feb 25, 2019
Na wa
Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by somalianprince: 3:19pm On Feb 25, 2019
Why not cancel this sham election. I knew Okoroawusa never won anything because he was never popular even in his locality.

15 Likes

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by hisexcellency34: 3:20pm On Feb 25, 2019
Okorocha won...period!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by somalianprince: 3:21pm On Feb 25, 2019
Where's the poverty infested useless old man called Abagworo?

Okoroawusa has been rejected by Imolites, he had to use force to intimidate the REC. This fraud cannot stand

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by mistyebby(f): 3:22pm On Feb 25, 2019
somalianprince:
Why not cancel this sham election. I knew Okoroawusa never won anything because he was never popular even in his locality.

He is my state governor. He intimidates civil servants to vote and rig for him or they lose their jobs.

He is a curse to IMO state

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by VcStunner(m): 3:24pm On Feb 25, 2019
Lol... lawyers will have a field day this year

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by jlinkd78(m): 3:25pm On Feb 25, 2019
G
Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by MelaninGold(f): 3:36pm On Feb 25, 2019
What nonsense..i thought this regime is fighting corruption. I thought buhari asked ballot box snatchers to be shot on sight. But I know Okorocha will not be apprehended because he is APC. And someone has the guts to call buhari Mr integrity. Has he come out to say anything about the massive violence that marred the election, the loss of lives and properties, the killings, the intimidation. What about"snatch ballot box and die" but it is being done in the midst of security operatives. Ok what about that young 19 yes old boy who came out to exercise his Civic rights for the first time, perhaps he came to vote for buhari. The election held about 2 days ago and our president has not spoken a word about anything all because it's in his favor.nawa oo. All those people voting for buhari and even supporting him I hope all the good works of buhari falls on you and your family. The blood shed is on you. Since you are advocating for a second term,let his doings be your portion. Amen. Amen and Amen. Also get ready for the second coming of recession.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by salbis(m): 3:44pm On Feb 25, 2019
More revelations to come. Useless party, useless members.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by wise2odd: 3:44pm On Feb 25, 2019
Much as I thought. They just burnt down INEC office in IMO all evidence hace been destroyed. The same thing happened in the middle belt and northern part as even as we speak. The reason INEC is holding and delaying.

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by Groovenaija360(m): 3:44pm On Feb 25, 2019
APC IS A CULT GROUP LED BY DULLARD BUHARI undecided

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by namio10: 3:45pm On Feb 25, 2019
Even a pupil lawyer can easily spot how votes were inflated for Okorocha in four LGAs.

9 Likes

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by ArmaniUhuru: 3:45pm On Feb 25, 2019
Politics is win or lose for pdp and other parties, but not for apc. Apc are so scared of losing. Very useless party.

12 Likes

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by lastempero: 3:45pm On Feb 25, 2019
Odikwaegwu.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by kellyboo: 3:46pm On Feb 25, 2019
Nice one though!
Thumbs up op...

Do you need solar power system with original luminous batteries and inverter directly from Indian? If yes kindly inbox me via the link on my signature.
Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by lastempero: 3:46pm On Feb 25, 2019
I don't understand this country again,you know that the election was rigged and you went further to announce it.

5 Likes

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by michoim(m): 3:46pm On Feb 25, 2019
Fake report
Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by Nobody: 3:47pm On Feb 25, 2019
Okorocha must be stopped;

8 Likes

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by StarUp: 3:47pm On Feb 25, 2019
As long as it doesn't affect Senator Dino Melaye's win, then they are on their own... Dino Melaye(giving Governor Yahaya Bello tough time since time immemorial).

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Forced To Announce Okorocha Winner Of Senate Seat – INEC REC by Flexherbal(m): 3:47pm On Feb 25, 2019
Ha

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Seyi Tinubu To Wed Layal, Pre-wedding Photos Released / Photo: Igbo Girl Turn Hausa Because Of Yusuf Buhari / Tinubu Unhappy Over Governors Takeover Of APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.