Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,255 members, 7,826,004 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria (8736 Views)

Who's Scared Of Going To Naija? / Why Are Some Nigerians Abroad Scared Of Going Back Home? / Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by choongtin(f): 12:42pm On Apr 28, 2007
well well well my parents want me to go to nigeria because apparently am "rude" and i dnt know my roots,  well am excited but the thing is am scared that i might die or something because have heard lots of storeis about nigeria and how they kidnap people kill them and mosqitoes and insects and gosh hate insects also things like the teachers are really horrible and ignorant, also the fact that there is poor eletricity,  i dnt know if i am going to like it or not all i need now is the truth about nigeria,  i was there once but that was when i was little i can't remember anything,  am scared because am staying,  for a long time,  God knows how long,  has anyone been in my situation before or tell me what nigera really is like, i do know a lot about nigeirians but not nigeria
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by Raymand(m): 4:40pm On Apr 28, 2007
You do know that no one gives a ferk if you go to Nigeria or not! it's not like you're worth anything. . .
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by ikamefa(f): 5:26pm On Apr 28, 2007
Raymand:

You do know that no one gives a ferk if you go to Nigeria or not! it's not like you're worth anything. . .

laughing my big black ass off cheesy

@raymand you are such a jack- ass cheesy
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by RedLips3(f): 5:31pm On Apr 28, 2007
what took them(your parents) so long?

and LOL @ Raymond grin
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by spoilt(f): 12:09am On Apr 29, 2007
and did you also hear that we dont even walk upright in nigeria? there are people in nigeria living larger than your parents so get over yourself! grin
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:32am On Apr 29, 2007
choongtin:

well well well my parents want me to go to nigeria because apparently am "rude" and i dnt know my roots, well am excited but the thing is am scared that i might die or something because have heard lots of storeis about nigeria and how they kidnap people kill them and mosqitoes and insects and gosh hate insects also things like the teachers are really horrible and ignorant, also the fact that there is poor eletricity, i dnt know if i am going to like it or not all i need now is the truth about nigeria, i was there once but that was when i was little i can't remember anything, am scared because am staying, for a long time, God knows how long, has anyone been in my situation before or tell me what nigera really is like, i do know a lot about nigeirians but not nigeria

Rudetin (err sorry choongtin), you are indeed very right! grin Infact i dont know how 150 million people could have survived mosquito bites, kidnappings, insects! I spent 20 yrs in Nigeria and i nearly died! Kai. This Nigeria is bad o!
Is it only stories you heard about Nigeria? You are very lucky, i witnessed stories! Our teachers are so ignorant that they have successfully produced a nobel laureate in Wole Soyinka. Teachers are horrible, infact as at 2 months ago there were virtually no students left in schools! Electricity does not exist, if you do come [b]P[/b]lease [b]H[/b]old [b]C[/b]andles [b]N[/b]ear.

Please and please do NOT come to Nigeria, beg, cry, threaten your parents to keep you in the UK. Nigeria is too horrible to serve as a mechanic workshop for rude and insolent children.
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by spoilt(f): 12:35am On Apr 29, 2007
davidylan, you don come oh! ive not laughed this hard in a long time. sorry for the sisi now. she must be young and dumb! cool
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by chiogo(f): 12:50am On Apr 29, 2007
ummm, Naija isn't that bad! I mean, if your parents are financially stable,then you can avoid some of these problems like mosquitoes, lack of constant electricity. Yeah, some teachers are ignorant (be ready to be flogged for stupid stuff) grin Doesn't happen in every school though.
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by GNature(m): 12:53am On Apr 29, 2007
@choongtin

How is it you only heard about the mosquito, electricity and kidnappings ? Nigeria is rich in culture, if anything, going to Nigeria would make you have a good sense of your heritage and like you have been told, there are lots of folks in Nigeria living better than you are in the UK. You'll be fine in Nigeria as long as your caretakers are not seriously deprived of money (as is the case anywhere in the world).
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by cuteass1(f): 12:59am On Apr 29, 2007
choongtin:

well am excited but the thing is am scared that i might die or something because have heard lots of storeis about nigeria and how they kidnap people kill them

LOL . . we all live by our destinies, death and kidnap doesn't happen only in Nigeria? you could still be killed in the UK, not?. The train incident that happened in London last year, and the tower incident that happened in the US in 2001, well those victims, if you asked them might still have thought that Nigeria was more dangerous. What i'm trying to say is that no matter where you are, you're still exposed to danger, we just have to pray for long life wink

In Oslo (capital of Norway), they kidnap and kill people on daily basis too, so??

choongtin:

mosqitoes and insects and gosh hate insects

Darling you just have to get used to them, use preventives and stuff but that will still not keep you 100% protected.

choongtin:

also things like the teachers are really horrible and ignorant,

Well some are, some are not. Just like some teachers in europe are "racists", no place is a bed of roses. I'm sure you won't be the only student in class, so if the teacher is like that, with time you'll start being independent to them as the rest students. Pay your dues (i mean be up and doing in class) and believe me their ignorance and horrible behaviours will be of no consequence to you. You're there to study, nothing else!

choongtin:

also the fact that there is poor eletricity

Yup, poor electricity, but you'll adjust. Take my words. Many before you did wink And when you start melting into the society, you'll be enjoying yourself so hard that electricity would be the least of your problems. It sucks, i know alright but its not the worst that could happen!

choongtin:

well well well my parents want me to go to nigeria because apparently am "rude" and i dnt know my roots, i dnt know if i am going to like it or not all i need now is the truth about nigeria, i was there once but that was when i was little i can't remember anything, am scared because am staying, for a long time, God knows how long, has anyone been in my situation before or tell me what nigera really is like, i do know a lot about nigeirians but not nigeria

The truth about Nigeria is that with some cash in your pocket to take care of your needs, its the best country in the whole world. Why do you think people on nairaland talk day in day out of things they miss about Nigeria??

Those little not-so-perfect things make it memorable. You can be sure of enjoyment 24/7 wink Yes i've been in your situation, lots and lots of people i know have been there too. Its a common routine for nigerian families, millions before you and zillions yet to be in the shoe. Parents do it to ensure their kids a disciplined and moralled adult life. Like you said, they think you're rude, now that is something your parents believe is a result of european/american life (kids growing to be wild and nuisances to the community), just trying to protect you from ending up one.

Have an open mind, take it that you're going on a many-years vaccation to a foriegn land, and tell yourself that no matter what you're bent on making the best out of it, and come rain come sun, you're going to have fun. Its actually not as bad as it seems, neither is it as bad as people make it sound. "Whites" that have been there sing praises of our country not to talk of someone that has her roots there??

VERY IMPORTANT WANRNING THOUGH:
control your youth, do not let your youth control you. Make good friends, bad friends are dangerous, very dangerous and they'll end up leading you into things you'll regret deeply later. You're new, so it'll be easy for you to fall for anything and anybody esp. when you're parents are not there to guide you. But with the right head on your shoulder, you'll pull through. Be the matured adult they think you can't be.

Just be extremely careful, i wish you all the best cheesy Its a story to be told, make it a nice one!!!!
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by chiogo(f): 1:09am On Apr 29, 2007
cute-ass:

LOL . . we all live by our destinies, death and kidnap doesn't happen only in Nigeria? you could still be killed in the UK, not?.

Yup, that is so true. Just like the shootin' at virginia tech  at virginia state here in USA where a chinese student shot about 33 people in class includin' teachers without them doin' anythin' to him. he was depressed and that is even worse than normal killin'. U might not know but a lot of people here in USA are sadder than u think about their life than in naija. Money is not everythin', hon.
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by cuteass1(f): 1:15am On Apr 29, 2007
^^^^ exactly my point dear. Shit happens everyday, everywhere! Actually no where is safer than the other Cos anything can happen cry

Put your life in the hands of God, he knows best cheesy
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by DTruth1(m): 1:30am On Apr 29, 2007
@choongtin,
no disrespect ooooo.
really, i am still thinking how rude u would be for posting comments like this without any reserve in u.
teachers are arrogant. i dont think i hav ever heard that in my life. u must really have no or lil sense of humour and respect.
damn it, what do ur parents do? i bet if they knew all this things u saying about 9ja is tru, they would not send u there.
are u black or white (not discreminating). my niger delta bros would not really think of wasting their tactics on u.
in short u dont deserv 9ja. i dont even know what to write sef.
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by cuteass1(f): 1:37am On Apr 29, 2007
Please ma people, take it easy on her. The first thing i thought to myself too was '"gosh, this girl's got some nerves", but on second thoughts She might have sounded rude, but isn't that why her parents want to send her to naija to learn some discipline?? I'm sure she already knows that, lets give her some time to get rid of the attitude wink

D Truth:

all this things u saying about Nigeria is tru, they would not send u there.
are u black or white (not discreminating).

She's mixed, half nigerian and half italain undecided (not too sure, but something like that)!
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by DTruth1(m): 1:49am On Apr 29, 2007
@cute-ass
i'm sori about the post but it is, was and would be irritating. may be she can modify it a bit by removing some nasty words.
i mean if the teachers there that ar not ignorant hav taught her well, i don't think all this would be.

@choongtin
i think u reall need a public primary school in beeree (the hearth of Ibadan in Oyo state) believe me no kidnapping of any kind.
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by zigbo(f): 1:57am On Apr 29, 2007
Raymand:

You do know that no one gives a ferk if you go to Nigeria or not! its not like you're worth anything . . .
ewoo!

@choongtin are u trying to say that all animals are the equal but some are more equal than others.what abt those there,howcome they are nt dead mayb u think u are peculiar,i bet u are one of those people that convince kids there that africa/nigeria is made up of people and animals living together in the jungle nd strugling for survivor,hun come bak nd see how well nd large most people here live and stop ranting i dnt mean 2b rude

[s]atleast there are no such things as serial killers here,no matter how depressed u are,u know the consequences[/s]
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by spoilt(f): 2:00am On Apr 29, 2007
half italian , half nigerian. [s]hehehehehe! i thought you were going to say half nigerian half god! [/s] grin
abeg. nigeria is not a boot camp!
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by finemocha(f): 2:02am On Apr 29, 2007
choogntin

goodluck girl, i grew up in nigeria and when i go home i go only for vacation, well now im in medical school and my popsy and momsy are talkin about going ot youth copper service. i mean WTF.  apparently they want me to give back to my country, like wha tthe hell has nigeria done for me.  anyway sha, n igeria is fun if u have money and the right kind of people to have fun with, and yes there are some problems with nigeria.  for example u wont have the same luxuries u have there like going out on dates till 2 in the morning.  going to clubs and not feelin like u will get robbed by some cult member, sushi, starbucks, charlotte rousse, victoria secrets, forever 21, and smoothie king.  i mean there are boutiques in nigeria but i get bored easily and after looking at the same rude human beings u get tired.   oh adn no beach.  except maybe u go to lekki beach, that one na your own wahala. hmm now i know there are gyms around (if u go to gyms) but from ur story u seem kinda young so it sounds more like a boarding school experience for u.  well dear get ready for jealous seniors who will hate on u and punish u for no reason.  (been there it sucks, fun times though but still shitty)

GOOD LUCK
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by spoilt(f): 2:05am On Apr 29, 2007
finemocha:

choogntin

goodluck girl, i grew up in nigeria and when i go home i go only for vacation, well now im in medical school and my popsy and momsy are talkin about going ot youth copper service. i mean WTF. apparently they want me to give back to my country, like wha tthe hell has nigeria done for me. anyway sha, n igeria is fun if u have money and the right kind of people to have fun with, and yes there are some problems with nigeria. for example u wont have the same luxuries u have there like going out on dates till 2 in the morning. going to clubs and not feelin like u will get robbed by some cult member, sushi, starbucks, charlotte rousse, victoria secrets, forever 21, and smoothie king. i mean there are boutiques in nigeria but i get bored easily and after looking at the same rude human beings u get tired. oh adn no beach. except maybe u go to lekki beach, that one na your own wahala. hmm now i know there are gyms around (if u go to gyms) but from your story u seem kind of young so it sounds more like a boarding school experience for u. well dear get ready for jealous seniors who will hate on u and punish u for no reason. (been there it sucks, fun times though but still shitty)

GOOD LUCK

all this advice you are giving is only relevant if her life here is all dat. we always assume that people here live better which is not always true! undecided
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by cuteass1(f): 2:10am On Apr 29, 2007
Well i think by now she's gotten the message, we've all asked of some unfamiliar countries one time in our lives, though not rudely wink

She said she "heard" '(it might be true, Cos the whites truly are good at making us look bad), we all hear things. Some have asked me untrue things about Norway which i've simply said "no, its not true" to.

Some of us are scared of adjusting to new things, even if she doesn't live good here, its what she's used to, some Nigerians when they get to europe also complain of it not being "all that". Actually it goes both ways!!
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by finemocha(f): 2:18am On Apr 29, 2007
cuteasss

u are exactly right, no matter what if this chick goes home she will have to adapt period. but coming from overseas to nigeria is a very had experience. the aculturation is ridiculous, plus it seems like they migh throw her in boarding school. hmm im sure her life in the UK is not bad either, if not she wouldnt be soo worried
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by spoilt(f): 2:20am On Apr 29, 2007
finemocha:

im sure her life in the UK is not bad either, if not she wouldnt be soo worried

its amazing how people overseas who live in squalor are scared of going to naija. the cheek of it! grin
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by zigbo(f): 2:24am On Apr 29, 2007
finemocha sorry but u are talking nonsense.

on the contrary when u come to nigeria for sec.school i think u tend to make friends easily nt because u came from jupiter or where ever but because u are new.

all those plenty plenty shops u are naming vic.secret,forever21 bla bla bla in Nigeria.there are shops too like that thats if u dint run out of where ever u are comin from broke

speaking about loosing your things to thiefs when u go to clubs, i ve hrd people complain about loosin their phones,wallets etc jst from goin to the movies in your so called paradise lik where don't they steal. u seat there nd complain of irrelevant things like goin on a date till two and what not,thats crap. there is more to life than your complaints.
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by spoilt(f): 2:27am On Apr 29, 2007
zigbo:

finemocha sorry but u are talking nonsense.

on the contrary when u come to nigeria for sec.school i think u tend to make friends easily nt because u came from jupiter or where ever but because u are new.

all those plenty plenty shops u are naming vic.secret,forever21 bla bla bla in Nigeria.there are shops too like that thats if u dint run out of where ever u are comin from broke

speaking about loosing your things to thiefs when u go to clubs, i ve hrd people complain about loosin their phones,wallets etc jst from goin to the movies in your so called paradise lik where don't they steal. u seat there nd complain of irrelevant things like goin on a date till two and what not,thats crap. there is more to life than your complaints.

thank you.
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:31am On Apr 29, 2007
finemocha:

goodluck girl, i grew up in nigeria and when i go home i go only for vacation, well now im in medical school

First off, this over elaborate detail was not required!  grin

finemocha:

and my popsy and momsy are talkin about going ot youth copper service. i mean WTF.  apparently they want me to give back to my country, like wha tthe hell has nigeria done for me.  

3 yrs ago, i said EXACTLY the same thing! After spending 10months in the dry desert of Yola, till tomorrow i cant stop thanking God for giving me the opportunity to go to serve and spend the best 10months of my life. If i could do it again i would in a heart beat. Think NOT what your country can do for you but what you can do for ur country.
If all white people had the same attitude we had towards our own country, we wouldnt have any place to run to!

finemocha:

anyway sha, n igeria is fun if u have money and the right kind of people to have fun with, and yes there are some problems with nigeria.  for example u wont have the same luxuries u have there like going out on dates till 2 in the morning.  going to clubs and not feelin like u will get robbed by some cult member, sushi, starbucks, charlotte rousse, victoria secrets, forever 21, and smoothie king.  i mean there are boutiques in nigeria but i get bored easily and after looking at the same rude human beings u get tired.   oh adn no beach.  except maybe u go to lekki beach, that one na your own wahala. hmm now i know there are gyms around (if u go to gyms) but from your story u seem kind of young so it sounds more like a boarding school experience for u.  well dear get ready for jealous seniors who will hate on u and punish u for no reason.  (been there it sucks, fun times though but still shitty)

Who said there are no clubs? Perhaps you just dont know where they are!
I went to school for 5 solid yrs and i had no single problem with cult members, stop using hearsay to build wrong impressions. Cult members do not prowl the streets!
And what if there is no sushi? Cant you eat suya?
Starbucks kini? Since when did Nigerians become coffee addicts. Go and buy milo and drink!
Victoria secrets? Boutiques? There are plenty in Nigeria, if they bore you go and watch pepper sellers at Ojota market!

Nigeria is not as bad as you all make it sound. I am forever proud of my heritage as a Nigerian. Yes we dont have electricity, yes there is no sushi, yes we may have few bar beaches (they exist if you know where to find them!) but the little we have we make do with it and are happy! Americans have everything and yet take .22 pistols and shoot themselves out of depression.
It is not how much you have but how well u utillise the little God has blessed you with.

There are so many things that make Nigeria tick but our inferiority complex is what makes us think sushi (which is merely packaged raw fish!) is the best thing in the world!
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by finemocha(f): 2:31am On Apr 29, 2007
ZIGBO

THOSE morons who lose their things forget them there.  And there were many girls that came to my boarding school from the UK or the US and the seniors were soo jealous of them, their seniors and theri mates as well. dont get me wrong u will make alot of friends, of course now u be janded aje butter.  but there will be times when u wonder while people hate u and u havent done anything to them.  oh and when i go to nigeria i shop alot but the variety is wack.  so no they dont hvae those types of shops in the US now they migh tcarry their products but for a price ten times more than in teh US.  By the way, she is a young beautiful girl, she can afford to worry about these frivolous complaints after all that is what her mates are doing in the Uk, so why should it be different for her.  Nigeria is not bad, if not i wouldnt come down to visit but like i said the aculturation sucks. trust me been there not fun.

1 Like

Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by SisiHo(f): 2:35am On Apr 29, 2007
@Topic

If you don't want to go back to your parents country, then stay where you are, No need complaining and creating needles anonymousity in the process.

To each its own, stay in your "beloved" land of birth,
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by finemocha(f): 2:36am On Apr 29, 2007
daviddylan

i love sushi and chai tea, so bite me if u find that disturbing.  and where i am a lot of my naija babe friend role to starbucks after a morning at the gym.  a lifestyl i like and enjoy thank u very much.  actually i will be in abuja this july and im mad exciteed, but its different for me, im not going to nigeria to land my ass in  boarding school, im going for a vacatino to see my friends and extended family, and no i will not go to nigeria to do youth service, why would i do that.  i plan to help my countrry  but not by going to nigeria and doing frog jump at 6 in the morning.  sorry i dont think soo, not my cup of chai starbucks tea grin.  look bro more power to u for doing that,  i guess it makes u a better person than moi.  who knows who cares.  
but back to the topic, girl i wish u the  best, hvae fun and make the most out of the experience, because most peopple that leave nigeria, especially first generation nigerian americans, dont have the smae connectino to naija like we immigrants do, so they are not compelled to send their little kids home for some well mannered trainig
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by DTruth1(m): 2:37am On Apr 29, 2007
@spoilt and zigbo
i really appreciate and support all ur posts in this tread.  whalahi. She needs to wake up her ideas. 9ja people are always happy. no matter what. not stucking i-pods or mp3 in their ear all days claming to be advanced but full of worries. nutin to worri about, u pay for PHCN or not, no difference. lol
at least if i am not mistaken, the sky in UK is Blue while the one in 9ja is red.

@finemocha
tell me all the clubs u go to are not dominated by blacks. can u der go to an all white club if u would not come out intimidated or molested Those clubs u go by 12 and finito by 2 or three, u call that clubs. damn it. that are no clubs, in 9ja clubs ar on till mama calls. no descimination whatsoever.

@cute-ass
i don't believe it is everythin one hears he/she should believe. I mean if she is half 9ja and half whatever, the 9ja part of her should ring a bell.
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:41am On Apr 29, 2007
finemocha:

THOSE morons who lose their things forget them there. And there were many girls that came to my boarding school from the UK or the US and the seniors were soo jealous of them, their seniors and theri mates as well. don't get me wrong u will make alot of friends, of course now u be janded aje butter. but there will be times when u wonder while people hate u and u havent done anything to them.

Maybe if you did not come acting all stuck up and behaving as if you just landed from Jupiter people might like you more. Been there and seen it all. Now i know that many of those kids who came from the US and UK behaving as if all they ate was gold and silver lived worse lives than we in our Lagos! Without doubt the majority of high and middle income families in the US and Europe are WHITE! The vast majority of the blacks are living either on welfare, from paycheck to paycheck or on credit!

finemocha:

oh and when i go to nigeria i shop alot but the variety is wack. so no they don't hvae those types of shops in the US now they migh tcarry their products but for a price ten times more than in the US.

If the "variety is wack", please dont shop! Those of us who appreciate little things will buy whatever the shops have to offer. Many of you buy things in the US on credit!

finemocha:

By the way, she is a young beautiful girl, she can afford to worry about these frivolous complaints after all that is what her mates are doing in the Uk, so why should it be different for her.

Only spoilt immature children worry about frivolities like insects, sushi, shops and clubbing till 2 in the morning!

finemocha:

Nigeria is not bad, if not i wouldnt come down to visit but like i said the aculturation sucks. trust me been there not fun.

If it sucks that bad please dont come! Yar Adua will be president whether you show up or not!
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:45am On Apr 29, 2007
finemocha:

daviddylan

i love sushi and chai tea, so bite me if u find that disturbing. and where i am a lot of my naija babe friend role to starbucks after a morning at the gym. a lifestyl i like and enjoy thank u very much. actually i will be in abuja this july and im mad exciteed, but its different for me, im not going to nigeria to land my ass in boarding school, im going for a vacatino to see my friends and extended family, and no i will not go to nigeria to do youth service, why would i do that. i plan to help my countrry but not by going to nigeria and doing frog jump at 6 in the morning. sorry i don't think soo, not my cup of chai starbucks tea grin. look bro more power to u for doing that, i guess it makes u a better person than moi. who knows who cares.

thank God for the benevolence of your white masters. If they did not do frog jump every morning at 6 you wont be sitting there sipping starbucks coffee.
Re: I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria by DTruth1(m): 2:51am On Apr 29, 2007
@daviddylan
i beg, no vex, just leave that girl, she does not know much about Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Arik Air Resumes Warri Flight Operations / Visaofficer Has A Question For You / 38 Highly Demanded Jobs In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.