Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,737 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

The Lives And Deeds Of Men (chapter 1) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Lives And Deeds Of Men (chapter 1) (465 Views)

One Night Stand With A Virgin Chapter 1 / His Sex Slut chapter 1 / Deeds Of Yesterday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Lives And Deeds Of Men (chapter 1) by Hatima: 8:58pm On Apr 06, 2019
Hi All,

I write for a hobby. I will be posting bits of what I'm working on every Saturday to encourage my writing as well as welcome you to be a part of my creative process.. constructive corrections and suggestions are welcome.. Thank you!
Re: The Lives And Deeds Of Men (chapter 1) by Hatima: 9:59pm On Apr 06, 2019
“What is good? What is bad? Can we truly tell? Sometimes I think our moral compass is flawed, and when I dwell on that thought, my conclusion honestly bothers me.”
-Anonymous

PROLOGUE
I miss waking up to the songs of the birds, the cries of the newborns, the chatter and yes! The stream! The stream held so many secrets, so many stories but the only story that mattered is of the day I met my mate. I can’t help but smile at the thought of that moment. I loved him or did I? Did I really love him? If you truly love someone that can change or can it? I’m sometimes confused by this because I feel I should care because I once did but that doesn’t matter anymore, there are harsher times ahead.
I’m alone in this cave, all alone. Funny I’m telling myself this as though the situation would change. The realisation of this is making me frantic, but it can’t be helped, it’s cold and dark and the walls speak to me. Yes, they speak to me, I haven’t lost my head! They tell me harsh times are ahead. They say I’m not alone. They lie you know, I’m clearly alone! Alone in my mind, in this cave and I believe the world as well.
I know I should go see what lies beyond this cave but if I did that I would be taking advice from the walls! Ridiculous! What if it’s more death out there? What if I die too? Why isn’t he back……. come to think of it? Is he dead too?
I’m going to see what is out there. Lifting myself off the ground determined to prove them wrong, I take deliberate steps towards…Truth? Freedom? I’m a joke I conclude. I keep moving anyways. The walls were ragged but a somewhat useful guide as they kept me from walking blindly. I tripped several times and could feel the sting of the bruises. That did not deter me.
Suddenly, the air got colder, I could feel it! How come? I walked towards the cold which became my new guide and noticed the cave getting brighter and brighter. My steps became quicker with this new realisation, then I ran excitedly and tripped some more. I realised I had not laughed in a long time, but I was laughing as I ran and I knew then, I did not want to go back there, back to the darkness. I slowed down as I got to the mouth of the cave.
The cold wind kissed my face, I shut my eyes and let myself breathe in and feel the cold air. It was unusually comforting. But how? Why is it all white? Why is it so cold? Where am I? How do I get out of…how did he get out of here? If he did at all.
I realised I was up in the sky, I could see the other mountains around me, and I looked down from the mouth of the cave, examining how I could get down. I had to try. I finally found my footing but had to be careful. A step at a time and I'd be free I told myself. Then a gust of wind came for me. How bad the cold bit me to my bones. I was better off in the cave, safer. I should go back there. Safety is good.
I made an attempt to go back up but lost my footing. This sent me falling fast. There was nothing to hang on to and all I heard were screams, the pleading kind. They came from me as I flailed my arms wildly. This was funny because I’m no bird but human and death awaited me below. This Is certain.
Re: The Lives And Deeds Of Men (chapter 1) by Hatima: 4:04pm On Apr 07, 2019
Lurking readers..I see you!
Re: The Lives And Deeds Of Men (chapter 1) by Hatima: 3:00pm On Apr 13, 2019

“Father! Father”, a little voice called to me.
“Father?” I asked, taken aback by what I heard.
“Yes, father!” I could actually hear him smile in the dark as he said this.
“How?” I choked out as I looked around me. It was pitch black and hot. It was hard to breathe.
“Take my hand,” it said. I outstretched my hands searching blindly for a hand. I honestly did not know what to expect. I held back suddenly not knowing why.
“Come closer,” I said. It's safer that way I believed.
“You want me to?” the voice asked.
“Yes” I was unsure this time
“If that will make you comfortable I will,” it said
Why didn’t I ignore it I thought? I should have. My thoughts were interrupted as I heard tiny footsteps approach me along with a foul choking stench! As the footsteps approached, I inched backward and as I did I could hear it approach faster. Until I hit a wall with my back. There was nowhere to run to.
The stench hit me hard in the face!
“But you told me come closer father” I said with sadness
“Father?” I muttered.
I felt a wet hand on my face as the stench intensified. It was so unbearable I fought the urge not to vomit.
“Don’t touch me!” I yelled as I forcefully pushed it away. I struggled to breathe as I tried to wipe off the foul smelling wetness. It only got worse as I managed to get it all over me!
I was so busy wiping off the mess I did not notice how quiet it got. Then…movement. Fast movement! All around me! I couldn’t keep up…..Then...
“Look at me!” it growled. I felt its breath on my face and its weight on me. It was so hard to breathe!
I couldn’t look at it. I couldn’t brea……I shut my eyes tightly as I began to hyperventilate.
“Will you look at me now?” it said tenderly.
Suddenly I felt warmth on my skin, the good kind. The air smelled sweet too, enough to overpower the stickiness and stench. I opened my eyes and I was alone. It was as before. Before the rebirth. The grasses were green, the trees heavy with fruits. As I lay on my back, I could see the clouds were clear and the sweet songs of birds crowned this nostalgic beauty.
“Father, will you look at me now?” I heard the little voice say.
I turned to look at it. It was on all fours, smiling and beautiful. I couldn’t tell if it was a boy or girl and had had black hair. I could tell that much from where I was. I got on my feet and began to approach the toddler .
I could see it anticipated my approach as it got excited and began to crawl towards me.

(1) (Reply)

The Ficool Confab / Free Script Writing Workshop - Turn Your Stories To Movies / 18 And Pregnant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.