Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,475 members, 7,891,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 11:43 PM

Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City - Travel (105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (1586118 Views)

East African Federation (EAC) / Cape Town, Most Beautiful African City Pics / African City Skyline Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:54pm On Jan 30, 2012
In Town

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 3:57pm On Jan 30, 2012

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 4:04pm On Jan 30, 2012
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by pendo89(f): 6:49pm On Jan 30, 2012
aha kutangatanga hapo co-op bank!!
Next KRA,central bank,oops nope the cctvs all over tao will handa u properly.
by the way ka jicho cz of cctv.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by pendo89(f): 9:37am On Jan 31, 2012
[img]http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/image/view/-/1317006/highRes/327810/-/maxw/600/-/mw3cts/-/kq+pix.jpg[/img]

General Electric Co, the largest US conglomerate, has upgraded its Nairobi office to a regional hub to serve its sub-Saharan Africa business.

The Nairobi office used to serve the East Africa region but will now act as a hub for its west, central and part of southern African business—excluding South Africa.

GE’s revenue from Africa accounts for roughly one per cent of its global revenue, but that share is likely to go up, said Jeffrey Immelt, the group chief executive at GE in Nairobi on Monday.

“We have opened the regional office in Nairobi to serve sub-Saharan Africa because GE has identified ample opportunities to invest in, especially in infrastructure,” said Mr Immelt at an event attended by Vice- President Kalonzo Musyoka.

GE says its revenue of about $1.5 billion from across 14 countries including South Africa, Nigeria, Angola and Kenya has been growing in double digits over the last two years. It is targeting to maintain a growth of 10-15 per cent in the short term targeting the power and health sectors.

In Kenya, its prime customers are Kenya Airways and Rift Valley Railways whom its supplies with engines.

It also serves hospitals with equipment such as X-ray machines.

It is also seeking a piece of Kenya’s power sectors where it has started the construction of a 100 megawatts wind power plant worth Sh34 billion and is seeking land in Northern Kenya to build another wind power plant with a capacity for 150 MW.

It joins a string of multinationals including Bharti Airtel, Nestle, Heineken and Coca-Cola that has set their regional shops in Kenya thanks to the location of Nairobi and ease of getting skilled employees for their operations.

The firm also operates in Ghana, Senegal, Cameroon, Rwanda Ethiopia, Zambia, Senegal and Equatorial Guinea and has 1,200 staff on the continent.
Share This Story
4Share

“We are long term investors, I saw these trends in Brazil and China some two decades ago— this is the time to invest in Africa,” Mr Immelt in reference to the increased investor interest in the continent.

But unlike other countries such as China and India, which have focused their attention on Africa’s resources like oil and minerals and market for the produce, the US is targeting the high tech products to maintain its share of the continent’s business.

Chinese exports to Kenya have grown steadily in recent years at the expense of the US and other western nations.

In 2006, the value of Chinese imports overtook those of US to stand at Sh120.6 billion last year compared to Sh39.3 billion of Washington.

While China’s cheap goods have flooded the streets and supermarkets of all major cities and small towns in Africa, America has deepened its presence in the high-tech goods market such as planes, medicines and medical equipment.

The US will increasingly focus on the high end market where it believes it has an edge even as China moves up the ladder in research and development (R&grin) investments.

This is push for a larger share of the high end market is being shepherded by firms such as General Electric.

too busy to edit.sorry. grin
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:09pm On Jan 31, 2012
shocked

Kali sana Pendo.Wacha ma youth wapate jobs. wink

pendo89:

aha[b] kutangatanga hapo co-op bank!!
Next KRA,central bank,oops [/b] nope the cctvs all over tao will handa u properly.
by the way ka jicho cz of cctv.

I was passing by lol.I know better,btw hizo cctvs are everywhere.Ni za polisi au private individuals?
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:11pm On Jan 31, 2012
August 7th Memorial Park.

[/
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:30pm On Jan 31, 2012
[B]Greenspan Shopping Mall in Donholm - Eastlands[/B]

The adjacent estate i coming up nicely as well.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 11:31pm On Jan 31, 2012
Tuskys Supermarket is the anchor store. wink

The Mall is not complete but tenants have occupied some shops. Most notable: Tuskys and Bata.

1. Side entrance (it has two entrances but the main one is still under construction).

2. Part of the compound as you enter from the side

3. Tuskys section.

4. Greenspan Estate Ph 4 is under construction and can be seen in the background.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by pendo89(f): 6:02pm On Feb 01, 2012
Some CCTV'S  all over the city are owned by Access Kenya to Monitor traffic.
The Kenya police  too have their own at  strategic places to monitor crime.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:21am On Feb 03, 2012
Pendo,wacha ukabila.Kenya ni ya sisi sote!
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 12:27am On Feb 03, 2012
Magical Kenya cool

Beaches
- White sand beaches on the Indian Ocean coast, popular with celebrities from Naomi Campbell to Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie.

Rainforests
- Including the Mau Forest complex, the largest forest in East Africa.

Mountains
- Such as Mount Kenya, the 2nd highest mountain in Africa, and the toughest on the continent to climb.

Lakes
- Including the Rift Valley lake system, one of Kenya's UNESCO sites.

Great Rift Valley
- Large valley which cuts its way through Kenya. Home of areas with high biodiversity.

Safari
- The word Safari originates from Kenya, home to some of the world's finest parks and reserves.

Urban: Nairobi
[B]Nairobi[/B], the largest and probably most modern city in East Africa, which includes:
- Largest malls in East Africa.
- Solar Ice Rink, the largest ice rink in Africa and only rink outside SA and Egypt.
- Museums including the [url=http://www.letsgokenya.com/upload/images/Nairobi%20Museum.jpg"]Nairobi National Museum[/url] and the Karen Blixen Museum.
- Nairobi National Park, the only national park of this kind bordering a capital city.
etc.

Urban: the Coast
- The coast includes two Unesco sites: [B]Lamu[/B] and Fort Jesus, [B]Mombasa[/B].

Sport
- Anything going. For example, some of Africa's finest golf courses:

Desert/Arid
- The North of Kenya, which includes the Lake Turkana: the world's largest permanent desert lake and the world's largest alkaline lake.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by ciceroji: 10:52pm On Feb 03, 2012
Hey, which flickr account did you get these pictures from? I would like to see more and also ask to use some of them.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by dereWaMatt: 12:40pm On Feb 04, 2012
wazi wazi mwana, the only kenyans i cn be more proud of at th moment r our troops winkno pun.nway,i consider your threads my fix, from nairaland,th military thread n ssc.ukiacha kupost hizi picha naenda rehab.i live n work along thika road n th road iz awesome n almost done,il post pics soon.i gt dozens.btw hw come u dnt post on the ssc thread anymo,ile ya akina parisian girl,christos,eddeux etc cry.that thread wz more appreciated no doubt, pendo una siasa mob sana grin
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by pendo89(f): 1:03pm On Feb 06, 2012
^^ So wewe ni dere wa matt?? undecided are u the famous dude Maina Kageni likes calling on classic 105fm? eti dere msafi sana!
Hahaha.Yesterday I was viewing Mt.Kenya. oK Its just outside kwetu.My God the sight at around 9 am is breathtaking.
I went to watch the Safari Rally in Nyeri. smiley smiley I just hope the paparazzi gallivant went too.
Usijali na sisa zangu.I love politics more than food.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 7:47pm On Feb 06, 2012
pendo89:

^^ So wewe ni dere wa matt?? undecided are u the famous dude Maina Kageni likes calling on classic 105fm? eti dere msafi sana!
Hahaha.Yesterday I was viewing Mt.Kenya. oK Its just outside kwetu.My God the sight at around 9 am is breathtaking.
I went to watch the Safari Rally in Nyeri. smiley smiley I just hope the paparazzi gallivant went too
Usijali na sisa zangu.I love politics more than food.

I had it rocked,sorry didnt attend but will look for some pics. smiley

ciceroji:

Hey, which flickr account did you get these pictures from? I would like to see more and also ask to use some of them.

I will find them for you soon and feel free to use any of the pics.Btw,Karibu Nairaland.

dereWaMatt:

wazi wazi mwana, the only kenyans i cn be more proud of at th moment r our troops winkno pun.nway,i consider your threads my fix, from nairaland,th military thread n ssc.ukiacha kupost hizi picha naenda rehab.i live n work along thika road n th road iz awesome n almost done,il post pics soon.i gt dozens.btw hw come u dnt post on the ssc thread anymo,ile ya akina parisian girl,christos,eddeux etc cry.that thread wz more appreciated no doubt, pendo una siasa mob sana grin

lol ati dere wa mat,umenipata humu nairaland.Manze umenikumbusha hiyo thread ya scc manze nili forget.Je,wewe ni Nairoberry wa scc?  winkAta mimi am proud of our troops in Somalia.The Kenyan way of life is non-negotiable.

Change of Guard at D.O.D,Nairobi.

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2011/08/kianga_exit_flag_ho1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2011/08/kianga_out_1.jpg?w=600&h=400[/img]

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by dereWaMatt: 5:55pm On Feb 07, 2012
haha.zi,mi c dere wa matt n am nt th guy maina calls.jst a nicknme coz of hw i drive, great photos as usual.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by pendo89(f): 7:53pm On Feb 07, 2012
Respect to our soldiers. I know they are well fed and properly taken care of by the gov.And no its ok to be dere wa mat  grin
Have you seen them guarding their hq hapo thka road?
they look like moving bushes or grass. Wametoanisha mawolalo jasho manze! hata siamini
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Pinata: 5:04am On Feb 08, 2012
Kenya Air Force May Have Acquired 8 Israeli F-15 Strike Eagles

http://intelligencebriefs.com/?p=1393

8 New jets have been acquired and delivered to Kenya. According to a senior officer in the Armed forces of Kenya, ex-Israeli F-15 strike eagle fighter jets were delivered at Laikipia airbase, the KDF’s main air defense facility and the largest in the East and Central Africa.

The acquisition may end speculation about the harnessed procurement of a new air force fleet to out-phase the old F-5 fleet.

Kenya is eying Saudi, Israeli, and US F-15 fighter fleets owing to the fact that the three countries besides Japan are the largest users of the highly priced fighter jets.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Pinata: 5:07am On Feb 08, 2012
Kenya Army Ups Air Defenses With SA-11 BUK1M SP-SAM from Russia

http://intelligencebriefs.com/?p=1451

Kenya acquired the SA-11 BUK1M SP-SAM missile system used against high-performance aircraft and cruise missiles in an effort to preempt current threat posed by Ugandan air force.

Uganda recently acquired SU-30MK2 Flankers, superior fighter aircraft from Rosoboronexport, a Russian state arms company dealing with the SU-30 aircrafts.

The acquisition of the BUK1M missile defense system is a strategic step in preempting threats on Kenyan territory besides harnessing air defense capacity.

According to Russian security experts, the SA-11 BUK1M (GADFLY) is a medium-range, semi-active, radar-guided missile using solid-rocket propulsion that provides defense against high-performance aircraft (SU-30MK2, among other types of flankers) and cruise missiles.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Pinata: 5:12am On Feb 08, 2012
The Intelligence Report: Kenya’s KDF’s 50-ACB Wing Armed With Russian MI-28

http://intelligencebriefs.com/?p=1581

Kenya army’s 50-Air Calvary Division has acquired much dreaded ground attack helicopters from Russia.

50-ACB acquired Russian about 16 units of the dreaded ground attack MI-28 Attack helicopters after the success of the unit in Somalia operation.

The air Calvary has been instrumental in destroying Al-Shabaab capabilities particularly in rescuing ground forces under attack besides carrying out precise attack on enemy troops.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Pinata: 7:05am On Feb 08, 2012
Kenya Police First in Africa with Eurocopter AS350B3e Helicopter

http://www.defencetalk.com/kenya-police-first-in-africa-with-eurocopter-as350b3e-helicopter-39609/

The Kenya Police Air-Wing is expanding its airborne law enforcement and crime prevention unit with the delivery of a Eurocopter AS350 B3e Ecureuil helicopter.

Kenya’s selection of the AS350 B3e, which is the enhanced version of Eurocopter’s successful AS350 model, follows an open and competitive tender won earlier this year by Eurocopter Southern Africa (Pty) Ltd, the Group subsidiary in charge of Southern Africa markets.

The new helicopter, which was handed over to the Kenya Police, in Nairobi will be dedicated to police law enforcement and crime prevention missions including anti-poaching, anti-terrorism operations. It will also be deployed in search & rescue, casualty evacuation, personnel transport and various other civic protection roles.

The Kenya Police Air-Wing is the first African customer for the AS350 B3e, which boasts several enhancements over previous AS350 variants, including an uprated Turbomeca Arriel 2D turbine engine allowing better take-off performances while decreasing maintenance costs.

Range and payload was a primary consideration in selecting the AS350 B3e as the Air-Wing required a helicopter capable of patrolling both the dense built up area around the major cities, Nairobi and Mombasa, but also to cover smaller towns and communities spread over large areas.

Kenya has a land area of 580,000 km2 and a population of nearly 39 million residents. It has a diverse geography including a long Indian Ocean coastline. Inland, the terrain varies from savannah grasslands to forests, mountains and even dessert regions. The Police Airwing’s choice of Eurocopter AS350 B3e aircraft was based on their superior operational capability and its proven rugged reliability which will enable it to operate in the Kenya’s variable conditions which range from equatorial humidity at the coast to hot and dusty in the arid regions.

Over the past decade, the AS350 B3, with its outstanding capabilities, has become the reference helicopter for airborne police units in the Sub-Sahara Africa where law enforcement agencies in Angola, Namibia, Botswana and South Africa have also selected them.

The powerful, high-performance AS350 B3e is designed to carry out the most demanding missions in the most extreme weather and geographical conditions. Its exceptional lifting capability, high endurance, extended range and fast cruise speed make the AS350 B3e the leader in its class. The popularity of Eurocopter’s AS350 in a law enforcement role can be attributed to its ability to meet all of a police flying unit forces’ main requirements.

The AS350 B3e is a member of Eurocopter's rugged and proven Ecureuil family. Some 5,000 Ecureuil have been delivered in 98 countries for some 1,600 operators. These aircraft have cumulated more than 21 million hours.

*An AS350 B3 climbed to 3,000m / 9,900ft in 2mins 21sec and made a world record landing on Mount Everest.

Established in 1994, the 100% owned subsidiary employs 80 people to generate an annual turnover of over 300 mZAR through the sale of the complete range of Eurocopter products and services in Southern Africa. The continuous endeavor to better service its customers, led Eurocopter Southern Africa to move in 2011 to bigger and better premises in Grand Central Airport, ideally positioned midway between Johannesburg and Pretoria in the heart of the economical capital of South Africa.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Pinata: 7:35am On Feb 08, 2012
Kenya Acquires 88 BRDM-3 Reconnaissance Vehicles Russia for $105.6 Million

http://intelligencebriefs.com/?p=1554

Kenya defense forces have received the highly revered 88 BRDM-3 reconnaissance vehicles from Russia.

The reconnaissance vehicles were acquired from Russia’s top arms company Rosoboronexport after Kenya sought to purchase 88 of these vehicles for a total cost of $105.6 million in August 2011.

According to Rosoboronexport, they will sell back the vehicles that these 88 BRDM-3 would be replacing 85 BRMs and 3 BTR-60s to help offset the cost of procuring the new equipment.

In the sale agreement, Kenya approved the delivery of these vehicles by the end of the year 2011.
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Pinata: 7:51am On Feb 08, 2012

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Pinata: 8:21am On Feb 08, 2012
Kisii,Kenya

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Pinata: 8:34am On Feb 08, 2012
Kisii

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Pinata: 8:39am On Feb 08, 2012
new roads

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by pendo89(f): 1:51pm On Feb 08, 2012
Road to where now?? okay kisii is just kawa stuff.
We need those sweet gallivanating photos. grin
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 1:58am On Feb 09, 2012
pendo89:

Road to where now?? okay kisii is just kawa stuff.
We need those sweet gallivanating photos. grin

lol you are too kind.That road goes to Namanga and Tanzania. smiley
Pinata:

Kisii

Welcome Pinata.Great pics of Western Province,we want more!
pendo89:

Respect to our soldiers. I know they are well fed and properly taken care of by the gov.And no its ok to be dere wa mat grin
Have you seen them guarding their hq hapo thka road?
they look like moving bushes or grass. Wametoanisha mawolalo jasho manze! hata siamini

Hope they extend the genorisity to the Kenya police espeacially wale wa anti riot.Those guys are mean! angry
Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:01am On Feb 09, 2012
Kenya Methodist University, Meru - Eastern Province.

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by gallivant: 2:15am On Feb 09, 2012
Highway through Meru countryside.

Mambo vipi South Imenti! grin

Re: Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City by Nobody: 9:36am On Feb 09, 2012
Is there a way Nairobi can be made to develop without being turned into a concrete city?

In as much as I love to see upcoming houses and real estate, I would love to see some green as well. I recently went to visit a friend of mine who had moved into a new neighbourhood and was quite saddened by the concrete structures in what was once a leafy area. The WHOLE estate is concrete; hakuna hata ka-cactus kanaonekana jamani?

That's why I sometimes envy the folks who reside in Meru, Kericho, Embu, Kakamega, Eldoret, etc. They get to experience fresh air unlike Nairobians (unless of course unaishi Karen ama Runda.  tongue) .

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (204) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.