Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,293 members, 7,818,990 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene (32909 Views)

Back Of UNN Female Hostel Building, Enugu Campus (Disturbing Photos) / ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) / Poor State Of UNN Boys' Hostel (Disturbing Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by Boyooosa(m): 8:09am On Jul 20, 2019
VisibleDreamz:
Growing up in Nigeria, one of Chidozie Ojobor’s most visceral memories was the death of his older sister, Ginika, who died of typhoid fever in 1999.

“Her death caused me to want to understand what typhoid meant, the organism that caused the disease, how it was disseminated and so on,” says Ojobor, who would go on to study microbiology at the University of Nigeria.

His curiosity about infectious diseases became a passion, and his master’s education led to the study of phage therapy – using viruses to treat bacteria.

In particular, he uses “tailocins” – built from parts of viruses – to defeat the bugs.

“Thinking that my sister may have been infected by a resistant strain that wouldn't bow to antibiotics that were administered to her got me more interested in phage therapy,” says Ojobor, a PhD candidate in the lab of Alan Davidson, a professor of molecular genetics in the Faculty of Medicine.

Ojobor set out to understand the molecular processes of disease, with an interest in diagnosis and how diseases metabolize in the body.

His drive to combat infectious disease and, subsequently, superbugs, got the attention of MPOWER Financing, a Washington, D.C.-based company that offers loans to international students. Ojobor was named one of four winners of their Global Citizen scholarship this past spring.

He is the first Canadian university student to win the scholarship. He was picked by MPOWER staff out of 1,121 eligible applications – which they cite as a record number of applicants.

The $5,000 scholarships were awarded on the strength of applicants' essay submissions. Ojobor’s submission identified the need to address the threat of superbugs.

“Antibiotic-resistant bacteria, if left unchecked, would cause 10 million deaths yearly, worldwide, by 2050 [according to a CDC report]. So, there is great need to search for alternatives to the conventional antibiotics,” he wrote. “In the last 3 years of my PhD in Canada, I have identified novel bacteria-killing entities, called tailocins, which I have successfully used to kill resistant bacteria, in the laboratory. Interestingly, in any case that the bacteria then develop resistance, I can genetically engineer the tailocins to overpower the resistant superbugs.”

With tailocins, Ojobor has been able to kill antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the lab. Ojobor’s hope is that he can genetically engineer them to overpower superbugs as cases arise – with treatments in the form of pills and other therapies.

“That, for me, is a high point of the research – that we are able to keep up with that [antibiotic] resistance,” says Ojobor, who joined Davidson’s lab in 2015. “The potential for the research is great and is, for me, really interesting.”

Davidson is full of praise for Ojobor, who he says is "a higly appreciated member of our group.

“Chidozie is a very motivated student with a strong drive to make a difference with his research. He is making important discoveries,” says Davidson, whose lab focuses on antibiotic-resistant bacteria and phage therapies. “He also is a wonderfully warm and engaging person.”

Ojobor is thankful to be named a scholarship winner. He is also grateful for his professor, who has been “super supportive” since he arrived at U of T.

“I think about him as that person who is pivotal to my success,” says Ojobor. “He’s led me in the right direction. We’ve had a great relationship.”

As Ojobor’s education nears its end next year, he is thinking about what to do next with his research. He is leaning towards a public health focus, applying his work to developing countries like Nigeria. He is also considering starting a company “to see how we can take what we are already doing now in the lab and take it to the next level.”

Ojobor is happy to be funnelling his passion into something about which his sister would be proud.

“I feel great and encouraged that I am contributing to this field and, one day, [will] prevent many young and promising Ginikas from dying from resistantfrom dying from resistant bacteria.”

SOURCE:
https://www.utoronto.ca/news/u-t-phd-student-wins-global-scholarship-combating-antibiotic-resistant-superbugs
Sad that NAFDAC will not consider his achievements before using years to register his products. They always want to feel in charge regardless of what you intend to offer the society.

1 Like

Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by Mires: 8:11am On Jul 20, 2019
mrvitalis:
Na only person way no know no know

In terms of quality UNN rangs up there amounts the top 2 university in nigeria

Na just infrastructure dey kill is for ranking

Proud to be a super lion

Having gone through the first two universities in Nigeria, I can share your thesis that UNN ranks No. 1 in terms of quality in learning.
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by bonnyhope: 8:11am On Jul 20, 2019
VisibleDreamz:

There is bro,
I want you to educate some of us here
Please tell me ...
I want to know and i believe others would also benefit
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by ReeLoaDead(m): 8:20am On Jul 20, 2019
ebuka10box:
2bedroom flat for rent , for 350k, 400k, 450,500 . Hit me up if you are interested
u no de shame? At least give a shout out to the person first, u just de advertise your business ... undecided

2 Likes

Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by ReeLoaDead(m): 8:20am On Jul 20, 2019
Max respect Chidozie Ojobor
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by Amuluonyenaego: 8:27am On Jul 20, 2019
ebuka10box:
2bedroom flat for rent @port harcourt , Ada George axis for 350k, 400k, 450,500 . Hit me up if you are interested 07066196319
What of one bed room
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by VisibleDreamz: 8:46am On Jul 20, 2019
bonnyhope:

I want you to educate some of us here
Please tell me ...
I want to know and i believe others would also benefit

I actually meant distinction and pass, not exactly as in conventional undergraduate grading. Sorry for confusing you. smiley
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by Adezanoti: 8:46am On Jul 20, 2019
I know hes gonna pull some stunt in the nearest future..he's been doing this back in the days at CMS Grammer school, Bariga. Though, I'm also GREAT in my own quarter but I'm proud to see a grammarian soaring high and higher!! Good bless everyone of us!
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by anonimi: 8:47am On Jul 20, 2019
PatrickOkunima:
There's no First Class in Masters.

Don't mind him.
I don't know why some people are so prone to lies even when they are not in APC, the master of lies and propaganda, anchored by their misinformation minister LIE Mohammed. Was that not how Kachikwu lied about having 1st class also before he was called out

FACT-CHECK: Document shows Kachikwu lied about graduating with First Class in Law

A claim by a Nigerian minister that he graduated from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, with a first class honours is false, a fact-check by DUBAWA and PREMIUM TIMES has shown.

During the 17th anniversary celebrations of the Commonwealth Of Zion Assembly (COZA) held at the church headquarters in Abuja two years ago, the Nigerian Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Ibe Kachikwu, was among dignitaries who addressed the congregation.

In a seven minutes 24 seconds video published on YouTube on February 17, 2016 by COZA GLOBAL, Mr Kachikwu, dressed, in a navy blue ‘senator attire’, said: “The heat in this place can either make you or burn you, this is a hot zone. Congrats COZA!”

“It is amazing the sort of revolution that takes place outside the civil service; public service; and the outer space.

“A lot of revolution goes on in houses like this and sometimes all of us who are in government need to find time to come out and spend time with you and get encouraged by the burst of energy that you see…”

While speaking on fate and destiny, Mr Kachikwu took the congregation on a journey of his life, highlighting his educational achievements.

“…I went to Ife (Obafemi Awolowo University) to try and read medicine and I was there for two weeks and then I got admission to read law. My Father drove all the way to Ife to meet me and he asked, why do you want to go to the University?

“And I said, my ambition is to be a doctor and he said, why are you taking the line of what he called least resistance? And I said, what do you mean by that and he said, well, if you want to be a doctor why don’t you just go and read PHD, get to the very top…

“My dad was talking to a little boy and that got me. So, I packed my bag, left the school of medicine and went to read law.

“And, I got in there, got a scholarship and became the best student, I had a first class in that institution (UNN).

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/289618-fact-check-document-shows-kachikwu-lied-about-graduating-with-first-class-in-law.html

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3475931_apc_jpegac400acfc063c990eecab1effb6ce5fc

1 Like

Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by karma2000: 8:50am On Jul 20, 2019
youngRx:
This is what happens when one studies a course they have strong passion for, one with something that drives them to, and not because it is the only means to getting a great job.

Until the economic environment of this country is thriving enough for individuals to go for courses they're passionate about, I'm afraid there won't be any scientific breakthroughs from this region anytime soon.

Congrats to the guru. it's rare to find the blackman on the positive side of international news these days.
anyway karma is prowl to ensure govt encourage our statement
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by anonimi: 8:51am On Jul 20, 2019
mrvitalis:
Na only person way no know no know

In terms of quality UNN rangs up there amounts the top 2 university in nigeria

Na just infrastructure dey kill is for ranking

Proud to be a super lion

You forgot to add the poor, dirty, unhygienic state of the hostels, bathrooms and toilets to your infrastructure.

Danrizzle:
The cleaners have deserted their jobs due to a backlog of unpaid arrears. Students are now left with the options of hiring cleaners with their own money, or cleaning the place themselves.

Those who want to see the graphic pictures can go to the source thread. I no wan spoil person Saturday o jare.

1 Like

Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by anonimi: 8:52am On Jul 20, 2019
Franzinni:
Positive news will be a good introduction... Especially those that boosts patriotism

Something Nigerians of today have NONe!

Even our so called leaders are devoid of patriotism... so it's nice to see positivity back to back on this platform this morning....

Are the leaders from another country? Are they not Nigerians like all of us who let them be our leaders

1 Like

Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by KingAzubuike(f): 8:53am On Jul 20, 2019
partnerbizz5:
Great lion.

Naija dey hustle abeg.

Later one man will say they are lazy..

You've definitely not been outside the shores of Nigeria. I thought Nigerians were hustlers until I visited India.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by Mires: 8:55am On Jul 20, 2019
charleymed:

Distinction. Pass. Fail

What are you quoting on the thread? However, that's not how MSc is graded. Let me take you through that of Ui formal weighted average which most universities in South West adopt.

0n a weighted average:

40-49% Terminal
50-54% Proceed to MPhil
55-59% Proceed to MPhil/PhD
60% above Proceed to PhD.

2 Likes

Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by anonimi: 8:55am On Jul 20, 2019
KingAzubuike:
You've definitely not been outside the shores of Nigeria. I thought Nigerians were hustlers until I visited India.

Na so now.
Persin wey never waka reach another persin farm go dey talk sey na im papa farm big pass. tongue

1 Like

Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by mrvitalis(m): 8:59am On Jul 20, 2019
anonimi:

You forgot to add the poor, dirty, unhygienic state of the hostels, bathrooms and toilets to your infrastructure.

Those who want to see the graphic pictures can go to the source thread. I no wan spoil person Saturday o jare.

I said infrastructure
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by PopeFlatino(m): 9:04am On Jul 20, 2019
William Uchemba excelling..Now see Ojobor ooo cool oh God shocked

Na the same UNN I meet this guys,why will my own be so backward l
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by Paulo3ree(m): 9:05am On Jul 20, 2019
selemempe:
Dozie my man...he got 1st class again in his masters

Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by Mightyhaiz: 9:14am On Jul 20, 2019
Adezanoti:
I know hes gonna pull some stunt in the nearest future..he's been doing this back in the days at CMS Grammer school, Bariga. Though, I'm also GREAT in my own quarter but I'm proud to see a grammarian soaring high and higher!! Good blessing everyone of us!
but u suppose don sabi spell grammar na
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by pinkygurl(f): 9:15am On Jul 20, 2019
VisibleDreamz:
Growing up in Nigeria, one of Chidozie Ojobor’s most visceral memories was the death of his older sister, Ginika, who died of typhoid fever in 1999.

“Her death caused me to want to understand what typhoid meant, the organism that caused the disease, how it was disseminated and so on,” says Ojobor, who would go on to study microbiology at the University of Nigeria.

His curiosity about infectious diseases became a passion, and his master’s education led to the study of phage therapy – using viruses to treat bacteria.

In particular, he uses “tailocins” – built from parts of viruses – to defeat the bugs.

“Thinking that my sister may have been infected by a resistant strain that wouldn't bow to antibiotics that were administered to her got me more interested in phage therapy,” says Ojobor, a PhD candidate in the lab of Alan Davidson, a professor of molecular genetics in the Faculty of Medicine.

Ojobor set out to understand the molecular processes of disease, with an interest in diagnosis and how diseases metabolize in the body.

His drive to combat infectious disease and, subsequently, superbugs, got the attention of MPOWER Financing, a Washington, D.C.-based company that offers loans to international students. Ojobor was named one of four winners of their Global Citizen scholarship this past spring.

He is the first Canadian university student to win the scholarship. He was picked by MPOWER staff out of 1,121 eligible applications – which they cite as a record number of applicants.

The $5,000 scholarships were awarded on the strength of applicants' essay submissions. Ojobor’s submission identified the need to address the threat of superbugs.

“Antibiotic-resistant bacteria, if left unchecked, would cause 10 million deaths yearly, worldwide, by 2050 [according to a CDC report]. So, there is great need to search for alternatives to the conventional antibiotics,” he wrote. “In the last 3 years of my PhD in Canada, I have identified novel bacteria-killing entities, called tailocins, which I have successfully used to kill resistant bacteria, in the laboratory. Interestingly, in any case that the bacteria then develop resistance, I can genetically engineer the tailocins to overpower the resistant superbugs.”

With tailocins, Ojobor has been able to kill antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the lab. Ojobor’s hope is that he can genetically engineer them to overpower superbugs as cases arise – with treatments in the form of pills and other therapies.

“That, for me, is a high point of the research – that we are able to keep up with that [antibiotic] resistance,” says Ojobor, who joined Davidson’s lab in 2015. “The potential for the research is great and is, for me, really interesting.”

Davidson is full of praise for Ojobor, who he says is "a higly appreciated member of our group.

“Chidozie is a very motivated student with a strong drive to make a difference with his research. He is making important discoveries,” says Davidson, whose lab focuses on antibiotic-resistant bacteria and phage therapies. “He also is a wonderfully warm and engaging person.”

Ojobor is thankful to be named a scholarship winner. He is also grateful for his professor, who has been “super supportive” since he arrived at U of T.

“I think about him as that person who is pivotal to my success,” says Ojobor. “He’s led me in the right direction. We’ve had a great relationship.”

As Ojobor’s education nears its end next year, he is thinking about what to do next with his research. He is leaning towards a public health focus, applying his work to developing countries like Nigeria. He is also considering starting a company “to see how we can take what we are already doing now in the lab and take it to the next level.”

Ojobor is happy to be funnelling his passion into something about which his sister would be proud.

“I feel great and encouraged that I am contributing to this field and, one day, [will] prevent many young and promising Ginikas from dying from resistantfrom dying from resistant bacteria.”

SOURCE:
https://www.utoronto.ca/news/u-t-phd-student-wins-global-scholarship-combating-antibiotic-resistant-superbugs
grin
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by Soul47(m): 9:16am On Jul 20, 2019
Good.

Abeg which opportunity dey for accountant in the global scene.
Nigerian scene no favour me at all
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by AmazingELixir: 9:16am On Jul 20, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

There's no First Class in Masters.

grin grin grin

Bursted..
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by charleymed(m): 9:34am On Jul 20, 2019
Mires:

What are you quoting on the thread? However, that's not how MSc is graded. Let me take you through that of Ui formal weighted average which most universities in South West adopt.

0n a weighted average:

40-49% Terminal
50-54% Proceed to MPhil
55-59% Proceed to MPhil/PhD
60% above Proceed to PhD.

I don't like seeing retards on my mentions.
What you wrote above, does it make sense to you?
Grade Oga
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by Mires: 9:48am On Jul 20, 2019
charleymed:

I don't like seeing retards on my mentions.
What you wrote above, does it make sense to you?
Grade Oga

Oga, no where in the world grade Msc as "Fail", " Pass". Mention the school and prove your point. Ignorance is a disease. To shock you a little, which institution awards certificate for "Fail"? Not even WAEC

1 Like

Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by calculator123(m): 9:48am On Jul 20, 2019
bonnyhope:
What is the system of grading at Msc level
Distinction, Merit, Pass etc
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by calculator123(m): 9:50am On Jul 20, 2019
Mires:

Having gone through the first two universities in Nigeria, I can share your thesis that UNN ranks No. 1 in terms of quality in learning.
How is his comment a thesis?
It's an hypothesis not thesis.
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by Mires: 9:53am On Jul 20, 2019
calculator123:

How is his comment a thesis?
It's an hypothesis not thesis.

Hahahaha.
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by calculator123(m): 9:54am On Jul 20, 2019
anonimi:

forgot to add the poor, dirty, unhygienic state of the hostels, bathrooms and toilets to your infrastructure

@bolded, what's the difference between all what you wrote and infrastructure?
The word infrastructure is all encompassing.
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by calculator123(m): 9:55am On Jul 20, 2019
Mires:

Hahahaha.
Why the laughter? His comment hasn't been tested and proven yet. Thus it's an hypothesis
Re: Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene by calculator123(m): 9:59am On Jul 20, 2019
mrvitalis:

I said infrastructure
Abeg no mind the guy. If not that I had met smart super lions and lionesses, na so i go just assume say all of una be

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Change Of Date Of Birth Still Possible On Waec Result / Ogun: Classrooms In Agbado Comprehensive High School Collapse After Heavy Rain / Enugu State University (ESUT) in pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.