Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,110 members, 7,852,756 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 04:25 AM

Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? (15143 Views)

Equatorial Guinea Officially Recognise Igbo As An Ethnic Language In EG. / Buhari Is A Tyrant, An Ethnic Bigot And Very Corrupt / If You Were To Pick An Ethnic Group... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by KnowAll(m): 11:16am On Oct 23, 2010
http://www.joshuaproject.net/people-profile.php?peo3=14926&rog3=NI

Never knew an ethnic Arab tribe is indigenious to Nigeria, how come they are relegated to the backgound both in their state of origin and in the FG.

intresting I hope we see more of them in our national conscieness in the next 50 years than the last 50 years. Do they have any celebretity be it poltician, elder states men or religious cleric.?
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by KnowAll(m): 11:18am On Oct 23, 2010

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by KnowAll(m): 11:52am On Oct 23, 2010
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by KnowAll(m): 11:56am On Oct 23, 2010
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by edoyad(m): 12:05pm On Oct 23, 2010
The arabs i normally see are the hordes of beggars that stand under the scorching sun near the central market in kd. I feel pity for those women and children, but that's Nigeria for you.
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by Jarus(m): 12:35pm On Oct 23, 2010
Yes, there is an ethnic group as Shuwa Arab in parts of Borno and Adamawa states. They are usually very beautiful.
Maryam Abacha, I think, is Shuwa Arab.
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by wesley80(m): 2:33pm On Oct 23, 2010
Now that we've identified both ethnic Arabs and Jews in our midst, i bet all thats left is a Jerusalem to fight over. lol
Seriously though, these presumed roots no matter how true are National drawbacks with no real benefit to Nigeria and Nigerians but to create more division than we are already saddled with. Perhaps their only benefit would be making our history books heavier which i'm not even sure is good to everyone. The lesser we know, the better. Of course historians would have me hanged for saying that but come on, The challenge is the future not the past!

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by KnowAll(m): 3:09pm On Oct 23, 2010

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by Abagworo(m): 3:47pm On Oct 23, 2010
That is so disappointing.I kept telling people on Nairaland that Abacha is from kanuri which is arabic.Sho and zaghawa are also arabic as well as tuareg.
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by sage(m): 4:02pm On Oct 23, 2010
Abagworo:

That is so disappointing.I kept telling people on Nairaland that Abacha is from kanuri which is arabic.Sho and zaghawa are also arabic as well as tuareg.

Tuareg is Berber ethnically not Arab
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 23, 2010
I was at school in Unimaid, Maiduguri. It such a nice and peaceful town until these Boko - Haram thing.

Maiduguri is mainly a Kanuri town and has a sizeable amount of Shuwa Arabs as indigene. Shuwa Arabs are mainly in Borno State of Nigeria.

Though his parents migrated to Kano when he was a small boy, it is certain that he is a Kanuri man and not Hausa/Fulani. The tribal marks on his face is peculiar to the Kanuri people. There are even rumours that his forebears are from Chad. tongue

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by excanny: 5:20pm On Oct 23, 2010
With their livelihood being nomadic, seems like they could be mistaken for Fulanis.
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by homerac7: 5:29pm On Oct 23, 2010
@ poster ,

Yes, dey r active in national politics. I knw d Daggashes for sure as one of dn is my friend n they r shuwa Arabs.
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by EzeUche0(m): 5:31pm On Oct 23, 2010
Yes you got those Shuwa Arabs in Nigeria who could be considered indigenous. . .

And you have those Moroccan children.
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by tpia5: 8:24am On Oct 24, 2010
this is why i say many nlers are pretending to be nigerian.

the poster never heard of abacha?
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:28am On Oct 24, 2010
These "Arabs" are black like many of the Arabs in the Sudan. Calling them Arabs seems morel like a matter of terminology than anything else,

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by tpia5: 8:29am On Oct 24, 2010
^^nah, they're arabs even if mixed.

arabs dont consist of only whites even though that's the way it seems.
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:41am On Oct 24, 2010
Are the Sudanese and Chadians Arabs?

I don't see any real difference between these Shuwas and the various Sudanese and Chadian groups. The thing is Sudanese and Chadians may dress like Arabs for obvious cultural reasons, but does that actually make them Arabs? The Sudanese were Nubians before modern times and the Chadians were also of a different culture and lifestyle, so they aren't inherently like the people whose culture they've adopted. That's why it seems like a matter of terminology to me. These "Shuwa Arabs" were something else before being Islamicized and before trade/interaction with North Africans, whatever that was. Arabs in Saudi Arabia, Omen, Yemen, U.A.E., etc. have always been Semites though, "Shuwa Arabs" are of a different stock/lineage, really,
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by tpia5: 8:43am On Oct 24, 2010
^^different groups, different ancestry.

there are arabs native to sudan and chad, yes.

you know if you remove the red sea, africa and the middle east are the same continent?

same thing with europe you might say.

but the red sea is smaller than the meditteranean one.

Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:57am On Oct 24, 2010
Okay, I know there are Arabs in the Sudan but those aren't the ones I'm talking about really. At a certain point it seems silly to me to call a pitch black man who's profile looks more like that of an ancient Nubian king rather than like that of king so-and-so of a particular Arab country or any of the historical pictures people show of what they consider Arabs an Arab man because he has the outfit and culture right and happens to be related to actual Arabs who might have come there hundreds of years ago. For sure the rulers of Kanem-Borno at one point were of predominantly Arab descent but would a Saudi or a Yemeni agree that a Kanuri was an Arab if you claimed they were?

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by tpia5: 9:03am On Oct 24, 2010
^^if they dont, that's because as long as they [kanuri] are muslim, they can choose their islamic identity over the arab one.

the issue here is the misconception that you have to be white to be an arab.

not that i'm saying there's anything wrong with refusing to be considered arab and neither am i knocking our forefathers' decision to maintain their independence.

but some nigerian tribes have traditions that link them with yemen or thereabouts.

many were fleeing slavery, oppression and interethnic/racial war hence the migration.

just my opinion.

there was also a persian incursion into africa but little is known about that.
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by homerac7: 9:12am On Oct 24, 2010
@ PhysicsMED,

Colour is not a basis for defining an Arab. Have u heard abt Bedouins and Maghrebs? Dts d first basis of classification of Arabs, then ethnicity. Shuwa Arabs are bedouins first, then their ethnicity as shuwas. They don't necessarily have to b Mediterranean in looks if Dts wht u r expecting, afterall not all Mediterraneans r Arabs.
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by AndreUweh(m): 12:19pm On Oct 24, 2010
Kanuris are not Arabs. What they share in common with Arabs is chiefly religion. They are a Chadian group.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by KnowAll(m): 1:44pm On Oct 24, 2010
Are the Sudanese and Chadians Arabs?

I don't see any real difference between these Shuwas and the various Sudanese and Chadian groups. The thing is Sudanese and Chadians may dress like Arabs for obvious cultural reasons, but does that actually make them Arabs? The Sudanese were Nubians before modern times and the Chadians were also of a different culture and lifestyle, so they aren't inherently like the people whose culture they've adopted. That's why it seems like a matter of terminology to me. These "Shuwa Arabs" were something else before being Islamicized and before trade/interaction with North Africans, whatever that was. Arabs in Saudi Arabia, Omen, Yemen, U.A.E., etc. have always been Semites though, "Shuwa Arabs" are of a different stock/lineage, really,

The Shuwa Arabs are not indigenious chadian or sudanese group, in fact there are Shuwa Arabs population in SUDAN, CHAD, NIGER, and NE Nigeria. They are only 250,000 in Borno State out of a population of 3 million. Their mother tongue is Arabic albeit adultrated Arabic, they are like an Ekiti man being a Yoruba man. They come in different shades from jet black to fair skinned standard or normal Arabic look, the fact that some are dark does not make them less arabic like their cousins in the arabian peninsula, The common denomination between them and their cousins is the capabilty to communicate in the mother tongue.

They are a pastorist tribe, obviously with that kind of movement within the tribe, their nationalities can change from being a Nigerian to a chadian to a sudanese at random that can be dangerous as weapons and fire-arms can brought in by unscrouplous businessmen to subversive groups like Boko-Haram
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by AndreUweh(m): 3:53pm On Oct 24, 2010
KnowAll:

The Shuwa Arabs are not indigenious chadian or sudanese group, in fact there are Shuwa Arabs population in SUDAN, CHAD, NIGER, and NE Nigeria. They are only 250,000 in Borno State out of a population of 3 million. Their mother tongue is Arabic albeit adultrated Arabic, they are like an Ekiti man being a Yoruba man. They come in different shades from jet black to fair skinned standard or normal Arabic look, the fact that some are dark does not make them less arabic like their cousins in the arabian peninsula, The common denomination between them and their cousins is the capabilty to communicate in the mother tongue.

They are a pastorist tribe, obviously with that kind of movement within the tribe, their nationalities can change from being a Nigerian to a chadian to a sudanese at random that can be dangerous as weapons and fire-arms can brought in by unscrouplous businessmen to subversive groups like Boko-Haram

Na you Biko
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by Abrantie: 5:44pm On Oct 24, 2010
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by tpia5: 7:17pm On Oct 24, 2010
^^ stale.

you're not nigerian so how does it concern you anyway.

instigator.
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by emofine(f): 1:23pm On May 26, 2011
I heard they originated from Sudan. Abacha's wife belonged to that group.

EzeUche0:

Yes you got those Shuwa Arabs in Nigeria who could be considered indigenous. . .

And you have those Moroccan children.

Sorry sir but what do you mean about "those Moroccan children"? Are you referring to Moroccan Immigrants?
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by Rossikk(m): 7:07pm On May 26, 2011
KnowAll said

http://www.joshuaproject.net/people-profile.php?peo3=14926&rog3=NI

Never knew an ethnic Arab tribe is indigenious to Nigeria, how come they are relegated to the backgound both in their state of origin and in the FG.

intresting I hope we see more of them in our national conscieness in the next 50 years than the last 50 years. Do they have any celebretity be it poltician, elder states men or religious cleric.?

Why do you want to see more of them in the next 50 years or whatever rubbish it is you wrote? Because they are Arabs?? It is people like you that sell out Africa everyday. Always valuing the light-skinned foreigner over your own fellow blacks.  Do you think they don't have black populations in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Libya etc? How many Iranians or Libyans do you see ''wishing the blacks will play more of a role in the next 50 years'' in their country??

Until blacks like you understand that you have no friends outside your own race, save those wishing to use, abuse, and dump you, you will continue to play second fiddle to other peoples.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by ezeagu(m): 7:16pm On May 26, 2011
Rossikk:

KnowAll said

Why do you want to see more of them in the next 50 years or whatever rubbish it is you wrote? Because they are Arabs?? It is people like you that sell out Africa everyday. Always valuing the light-skinned foreigner over your own fellow blacks.  Do you think they don't have black populations in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Libya etc? How many Iranians or Libyans do you see ''wishing the blacks will play more of a role in the next 50 years'' in their country??

Until blacks like you understand that you have no friends outside your own race, save those wishing to use, abuse, and dump you, you will continue to play second fiddle to other peoples.

I was wondering the same thing.
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by tpia5: 8:44pm On May 26, 2011
emofine:

Sorry sir but what do you mean about "those Moroccan children"? Are you referring to Moroccan Immigrants?

chadians, i should think.
Re: Do You Know Nigeria Has An Ethnic Arab Tribe ? by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 26, 2011
Propaganda, No we don't and Fulanis and bororos are not Arabs. The Arabs up north are not indigenous to Nigeria. And I see Jarus the Islamic/Arab apologist jumping to conclusion without actually doing a physical not cyber research of his own. Go ask those shuwas what's up and they'll quickly point toward where the sun rise in their home further north off Nigeria. Do you know of the Bororo people up north? They look like the desert kings but are full blooded Black folks with their ancestoral diet as the main factor for genetic changes. Shuwas are not indigenous to Nigeria; they are partly nomadic with their homes in Chad, Northern Cameroon and further North away from Nigerian border lines, There are many Black Africans who look like your mainstream Arabs but they don't even have a drop of the desert lions in them,

don't get it twisted. Stop trying to find an affiliation; be self made fooo!!!!

I have many cool Arab friends here who are actually Nigerian citizens born and bred in Lagos but most of them in Abuja. As a matter of fact, they don't hangout with fellow Arabs or go to mosque or anything; they drink more than I do angry cheesy and have a very unique way of representing Nigeria. Ramsey hosted the last independence party in Brooklyn that had to be shut down by 5.0 at 6am in the morn, Those are the real Arab natives of Nigeria cheesy cheesy cheesy, And in all honesty, we all plan to go back HOME after school! They are not affiliated to Nigeria; they are Nigerians. From Lebanese to Syrian to persians, Moroccans etc, but the funny thing is, they don't have any other passport apart from Nigerian passports. They speak pijin. Arabs living outside of their cultural world are the best friends you can have no doubt but the group indoctrination going on in the arabic cultural world makes everyone lose their cools!!!! These guys share same passion with Nigerians, the ones from Lagos were telling their parents back home to vote for Jonathan the ones from Abuja were divided over Buhari and were actually saying they don't know who to push their parents to vote for, I JUST SAT BACK SMILING SAYING IF THOSE AIN'T NIGERIANS, I AIN'T (PS I AM CELTIC/YORUBA LOL).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Power Supply has improved drastically: How is it In Your Area? / Yoruba Koya: As South-western States Begin Movement For Restructuring.. / Court Orders Immigration To release Peter Odili's Passport & apologise to him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.