Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,868 members, 7,848,522 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 03:58 AM

Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time (1852 Views)

The Religion The Is Practicing What Jesus Taught. / How Is Religion The Cause Of Backwardness In Nigeria And Africa? / Is Religion The Problem Of The World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by DikeDiMighty: 12:58pm On Nov 26, 2019
For years, the tussle between theism and atheism as rival ideologies has continued to rage in this section. Many matters have been discussed and in some cases, over-flogged. Yet sometimes when I think about the life of a contemporary Christian or Muslim, I wonder how people can believe such atrocious lies and extol concepts that defy acceptable logic. Is it that the capacity for critical reasoning in systematically diminished by religious dogma?. How can people read those tomes filled with hallucinary events and believe those events with a straight face?.

On the Christian side, be truthful my dear friends...deep down, do you actually believe these things:

1. That Noah hid the entire planet in his crude leaky boat?. Really?, over 3 million species of creatures at the time; including the penguins which would have had to waddle all the way from Antartica, the Kangaroos hopping in from Australia, the Pandas from China, the Polar bears from Russia, even the odd sharks and whales, all came to Palestine to cozy up in Noah's rickety canoe?.

2. That Moses parted an entire sea with a magic staff?. Let's assume that this happened in a vacuum where common sense is a constant 0, what about the geological implications?.

3. That Joshua commanded the Sun and Moon to stand Still?. Well, there are many things fundamentally wrong with that scenario, but let's once again flush logic down the toilet on this one. Or not. One, the sun is not even in motion in the first place. Two,since the sun isn't a kinetic body, means the earth and moons were the ones "standing still", a gravitational disruption of this magnitude means that both bodies will collide and implode.

4. That Jesus ascended into heaven without a spacesuit. While I understand that this account may have inspired modern comic characters like Superman and Chinese movie mavericks like Jackie Chan, it simply isn't probable that any sole human can generate the escape velocity needed to propel away from this planet...and, err...is heaven meant to be in the sky?, how come we haven't discovered it?.

5. That hungry lions somehow found Daniel thoroughly indigestible, and hence, allowed him to leisurely peruse their den while they gazed on meekly. Of course, we have been treated to modern parodies of this event, which didn't really go as planned for the Daniel wannabes, it appears that modern lions are simply not as benevolent as their ancient Babylonian counterparts.

6. That a snake managed to convince Eve (perhaps through telepathic means?, Oh no!, don't tell me you believe snakes talked too?!) to eat a fruit which then made she and her equally fruit-loving husband find out that they were naked and fall out with God?. According to the account, God even had the time to sit busily, tongue between teeth, and sew up a pair of fur skinned garments for his wayward charges (or did he simply stretch his...err...wand(?) and, poof!, out comes a neatly pressed pair of deer-skin garments straight from the celestial laundromat. At this stage, it's hard to tell. Our pastors may be too preoccupied with preaching about tithes to come up with any logical explanation of what happened.

7. That Mary was impregnated by the holy spirit?. Look, I know how this works; Joseph probably sucked in bed, yet the husband's family was putting pressure on her to conceive a child, surely any woman would feel pushed to procure pregnancy from elsewhere in order to save the marriage. It's absolutely normal. There was no reason for her to tell lies. Or for people to tell lies on her behalf.

Let me stop at 7 for now.

If people have no trouble believing such comical delusions, why then is it so far-fetched to believe the African gods who were acclaimed to have wrought american wonders during their times on Earth?.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by sweetonugbu: 1:11pm On Nov 26, 2019
Quit troubling your brain we know

1 Like

Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 2:43pm On Nov 29, 2019
DikeDiMighty:
For years, the tussle between theism and atheism as rival ideologies has continued to rage in this section. Many matters have been discussed and in some cases, over-flogged. Yet sometimes when I think about the life of a contemporary Christian or Muslim, I wonder how people can believe such atrocious lies and extol concepts that defy acceptable logic. Is it that the capacity for critical reasoning in systematically diminished by religious dogma?. How can people read those tomes filled with hallucinary events and believe those events with a straight face?.

On the Christian side, be truthful my dear friends...deep down, do you actually believe these things:

1. That Noah hid the entire planet in his crude leaky boat?. Really?, over 3 million species of creatures at the time; including the penguins which would have had to waddle all the way from Antartica, the Kangaroos hopping in from Australia, the Pandas from China, the Polar bears from Russia, even the odd sharks and whales, all came to Palestine to cozy up in Noah's rickety canoe?.

2. That Moses parted an entire sea with a magic staff?. Let's assume that this happened in a vacuum where common sense is a constant 0, what about the geological implications?.

3. That Joshua commanded the Sun and Moon to stand Still?. Well, there are many things fundamentally wrong with that scenario, but let's once again flush logic down the toilet on this one. Or not. One, the sun is not even in motion in the first place. Two,since the sun isn't a kinetic body, means the earth and moons were the ones "standing still", a gravitational disruption of this magnitude means that both bodies will collide and implode.

4. That Jesus ascended into heaven without a spacesuit. While I understand that this account may have inspired modern comic characters like Superman and Chinese movie mavericks like Jackie Chan, it simply isn't probable that any sole human can generate the escape velocity needed to propel away from this planet...and, err...is heaven meant to be in the sky?, how come we haven't discovered it?.

5. That hungry lions somehow found Daniel thoroughly indigestible, and hence, allowed him to leisurely peruse their den while they gazed on meekly. Of course, we have been treated to modern parodies of this event, which didn't really go as planned for the Daniel wannabes, it appears that modern lions are simply not as benevolent as their ancient Babylonian counterparts.

6. That a snake managed to convince Eve (perhaps through telepathic means?, Oh no!, don't tell me you believe snakes talked too?!) to eat a fruit which then made she and her equally fruit-loving husband find out that they were naked and fall out with God?. According to the account, God even had the time to sit busily, tongue between teeth, and sew up a pair of fur skinned garments for his wayward charges (or did he simply stretch his...err...wand(?) and, poof!, out comes a neatly pressed pair of deer-skin garments straight from the celestial laundromat. At this stage, it's hard to tell. Our pastors may be too preoccupied with preaching about tithes to come up with any logical explanation of what happened.

7. That Mary was impregnated by the holy spirit?. Look, I know how this works; Joseph probably sucked in bed, yet the husband's family was putting pressure on her to conceive a child, surely any woman would feel pushed to procure pregnancy from elsewhere in order to save the marriage. It's absolutely normal. There was no reason for her to tell lies. Or for people to tell lies on her behalf.

Let me stop at 7 for now.

If people have no trouble believing such comical delusions, why then is it so far-fetched to believe the African gods who were acclaimed to have wrought american wonders during their times on Earth?.
8.That Yahweh rained fire and brimstone on an entire city because the men played with each other's penis.

1 Like

Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by Prinss: 6:51pm On Nov 29, 2019
1 Corithians 2:14
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by SMBH: 7:25pm On Nov 29, 2019
Following
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by CaveAdullam: 8:37pm On Nov 29, 2019
But you agreed with the dictionary meaning of eternal, infinite, mystery and God.

Assuming there was no Bible, we can still discover God from our dictionaries. Lol

Oga DikeDiMighty, if the Bible/Gospel of Christ is a conspiracy theory, the Apostles and early Christians wouldn't have risked their lives for it. The Bible didn't only tell me this, Josephus, Tacitus and other great historians have something to say about this.

Na only baby Christians at this age still dey fear atheistic claims...... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

What doesn't exist does not have a name, and if GOD is a name given to a supreme being then definitely He exists. Or do you know of anything that doesn't exist but have a name?

Hallelujah, praise the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Thanks.

God bless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OtemAtum: 3:39am On Nov 30, 2019
These are the reasons why Jehovah and all his numerous lies will never go unpunished. Currently Jehovah is in a spiritual cage where his godmates have confined him, so that human mind evolution could begin worldwide, especially among the Africans who are the most gullible beings.
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by Aspiringstudent: 8:18am On Nov 30, 2019
If you are religious just accept the fact that little stupidity lies in you.... It's very simple.
I make a lot of theist very uncomfortable intellectually, because what I am after in an argument is not changing them but proving to them that they are stupid...i will make it very obvious and I give them the chance to prove I'm stupid too---they stop talking to me hahaha

2 Likes

Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by DikeDiMighty: 9:05am On Nov 30, 2019
CaveAdullam:
But you agreed with the dictionary meaning of eternal, infinite, mystery and God.

Assuming there was no Bible, we can still discover God from our dictionaries. Lol

Oga DikeDiMighty, if the Bible/Gospel of Christ is a conspiracy theory, the Apostles and early Christians wouldn't have risked their lives for it. The Bible didn't only tell me this, Josephus, Tacitus and other great historians have something to say about this.
As a Christian, do you believe in Islam?, I will guess your answer is "No". Are people not risking their lives for Islam today?. Can you now see the flaw in your reasoning?. People will risk their lives for whatever they think is right, that doesn't prove that it is actually right.

Can you please tell me what Josephus, Tacticus and Pliny the younger said about "Jesus"? grin grin quote the texts let us see...

CaveAdullam:
Na only baby Christians at this age still dey fear atheistic claims...... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

What doesn't exist does not have a name, and if GOD is a name given to a supreme being then definitely He exists. Or do you know of anything that doesn't exist but have a name?

Thanks.

God bless.
I don't want to have the impression that I am talking to someone with single digit IQ here. sad How does something having a name proves it's existence?. Superman had a name, does Superman exist?.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by CaveAdullam: 2:00pm On Nov 30, 2019
Argument is the food of atheists, that's what you want and not the truth. Anyways let me fed you a little. Lol
DikeDiMighty:
As a Christian, do you believe in Islam?, I will guess your answer is "No". Are people not risking their lives for Islam today?. Can you now see the flaw in your reasoning?. People will risk their lives for whatever they think is right, that doesn't prove that it is actually right.
How dear you guess my answer? What makes you think I don't believe in Islam? Sorry for bursting your bubbles, yes I believe in Islam but do not accept all that it claims, and if all Muslims rightly follows the Quoran they will enter the LORD JESUS CHRIST. But however, it is a long process especially for the faithful ones.

By the way what is the metric for determining what is right or wrong?

DikeDiMighty:
Can you please tell me what Josephus, Tacticus and Pliny the younger said about "Jesus"? grin grin quote the texts let us see...
As shown in the pics below. There are others but this is just a tip of the iceberg.

DikeDiMighty:
I don't want to have the impression that I am talking to someone with single digit IQ here. sad How does something having a name proves it's existence?. Superman had a name, does Superman exist?.
whatever are your impressions I don't care. Is a norm, atheists always think they are intelligent than religious folks. Lol

Oga DikeDiMighty, Superman exist, it exists in movies, cartoons, in the net, on paper, in drawings etc.
Oh! I guess where the problem is, you want to see and touch superman, lol. It's just like Air, your mind, your emotions etc.

So tell me why we should believe the dictionary meaning of eternal, infinite, mystery and God?

Thanks.

God bless.

Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by kumulus(m): 2:03pm On Nov 30, 2019
CaveAdullam:

Thanks.

God bless.

Nothing would be by analysis "a kind of thing " which doesn't exist.....by logic it shows nothing is also an existential reality. What say you sir?
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by DoctorAlien(m): 2:13pm On Nov 30, 2019
DikeDiMighty:

I don't believe these caricatures of the Biblical facts which you have listed. However, I believe every word of the Bible. Every word.

Is anything wrong with that?
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by DikeDiMighty: 3:29pm On Nov 30, 2019
CaveAdullam:
Argument is the food of atheists, that's what you want and not the truth. Anyways let me fed you a little. Lol
Nope, I have no interest in gaseous arguments. I only savour intelligent debates.

CaveAdullam:
How dear you guess my answer? What makes you think I don't believe in Islam? Sorry for bursting your bubbles, yes I believe in Islam but do not accept all that it claims, and if all Muslims rightly follows the Quoran they will enter the LORD JESUS CHRIST. But however, it is a long process especially for the faithful ones.

By the way what is the metric for determining what is right or wrong?
Oh, good. Now I know I am dealing with someone who is confused, you believe in Islam yet you do not accept all it claims?, How can you believe something you don't accept?. Or don't you know the meaning of believe?.

CaveAdullam:
As shown in the pics below. There are others but this is just a tip of the iceberg.

whatever are your impressions I don't care. Is a norm, atheists always think they are intelligent than religious folks. Lol

Oga DikeDiMighty, Superman exist, it exists in movies, cartoons, in the net, on paper, in drawings etc.
Oh! I guess where the problem is, you want to see and touch superman, lol. It's just like Air, your mind, your emotions etc.

So tell me why we should believe the dictionary meaning of eternal, infinite, mystery and God?

Thanks.

God bless.
Yet more evidence of confusion here. You see why I think religion actually diminishes IQ?.

"Superman exists", I guess dragons, goblins, elves and unicorns exist too, because they are depicted in fantasy stories. I just can't feel, touch or eat them grin

As for your pictures, those texts have been debunked several times as fraudulent insertions made by Christians during the early days of the church, especially the one purportedly written by Josephus.

Neither Josephus nor Tacitus nor Pliny the younger were born during the time that this so-called Jesus was alive, so how do we even accept those fraudulent texts as authentic historical records?.
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by DikeDiMighty: 3:31pm On Nov 30, 2019
DoctorAlien:

I don't believe these caricatures of the Biblical facts which you have listed. However, I believe every word of the Bible. Every word.

Is anything wrong with that?
Oh the irony grin
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OnPointMan(m): 3:54pm On Nov 30, 2019
OtemAtum:
These are the reasons why Jehovah and all his numerous lies will never go unpunished. Currently Jehovah is in a spiritual cage where his godmates have confined him, so that human mind evolution could begin worldwide, especially among the Africans who are the most gullible beings.

Where is this prison located sire?
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by CaveAdullam: 5:27pm On Nov 30, 2019
DikeDiMighty:
Nope, I have no interest in gaseous arguments. I only savour intelligent debates.

Oh, good. Now I know I am dealing with someone who is confused, you believe in Islam yet you do not accept all it claims?, How can you believe something you don't accept?. Or don't you know the meaning of believe?.

Yet more evidence of confusion here. You see why I think religion actually diminishes IQ?
so I must accept the total claims of everything I believe whether it claims are wrong or right and no need for discernment?

Will you accept the time of your wall clock when it stops working even if it has always shows the right time till the moment it stop working considering the fact that you have being using it for decades?

DikeDiMighty:
"Superman exists", I guess dragons, goblins, elves and unicorns exist too, because they are depicted in fantasy stories. I just can't feel, touch or eat them grin
yes they exist in whatever place they are featured because they got names and roles they play.

OK what about the air you breathe, your mind and emotions?

DikeDiMighty:
As for your pictures, those texts have been debunked several times as fraudulent insertions made by Christians during the early days of the church, especially the one purportedly written by Josephus.

Neither Josephus nor Tacitus nor Pliny the younger were born during the time that this so-called Jesus was alive, so how do we even accept those fraudulent texts as authentic historical records?.
That means a policeman/lawyer must be present in a crime scene before they can believe a crime took place?

Do you even understand the dictionary meaning of investigation?

What do you have to say concerning the dictionary meaning of eternal, infinite, mystery and God?
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OtemAtum: 6:09pm On Nov 30, 2019
OnPointMan:

Where is this prison located sire?

It's in the Ketom universe.
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OnPointMan(m): 6:22pm On Nov 30, 2019
OtemAtum:

So who has being speaking to all these pastors, Prophets, alphas, etc.?
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OtemAtum: 6:37pm On Nov 30, 2019
OnPointMan:

So who has being speaking to all these pastors, Prophets, alphas, etc.?
They've been speaking to themselves. That's why you see them shooting and missing all the while. They predict and fail many times.
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OnPointMan(m): 6:51pm On Nov 30, 2019
OtemAtum:
They've been speaking to themselves. That's why you see them shooting and missing all the while. They predict and fail many times.

This is not true about all. Some people have told me somethings that must have only been revealed to them, because those things happen to be true. You can't possibly be saying there is nothing like revelation!
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OtemAtum: 6:54pm On Nov 30, 2019
OnPointMan:

This is not true about all. Some people have told me somethings that must have only been revealed to them, because those things happen to be true. You can't possibly be saying there is nothing like revelation!
You can say things that becomes true, yet you may not see any revelation.
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OnPointMan(m): 6:55pm On Nov 30, 2019
OtemAtum:

You call God almighty the universe, yet you are talking about another universe. Then who is the God in the 'KETOM' UNIVERSE?
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OtemAtum: 6:55pm On Nov 30, 2019
OnPointMan:

You call God almighty the universe, yet you are talking about another universe. Then who is the God in the 'KETOM' UNIVERSE?
God Almighty is the Summation of all Universes.
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by helinues: 6:56pm On Nov 30, 2019
Ok
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by Segyidibedebe: 6:56pm On Nov 30, 2019
[s]
helinues:
Ok
[/s]
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OnPointMan(m): 6:56pm On Nov 30, 2019
OtemAtum:
You can say things that becomes true, yet you may not see any revelation.

Things of the past nko? And am not talking about guessable things o.
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OtemAtum: 6:58pm On Nov 30, 2019
OnPointMan:

Things of the past nko? And am not talking about guessable things o.
You can achieve a lot of things through psycho-physical means. Psychologists do this without any revelations.
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OnPointMan(m): 6:59pm On Nov 30, 2019
OtemAtum:

God Almighty is the Summation of all Universes.

Does HE have healing power? If yes, how do one access it?
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OtemAtum: 7:02pm On Nov 30, 2019
OnPointMan:

Does HE have healing power? If yes, how do one access it?
If God Almighty is the summation of everything in existence, then the parts of God Almighty responsible for healing is through herbs, medical means, etc. In other words, God Almighty operates through its parts like the medical practitioners, users of herbs, motivational words, psychology etc.
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OnPointMan(m): 7:03pm On Nov 30, 2019
OtemAtum:
You can achieve a lot of things through psycho-physical means. Psychologists do this without any revelations.

You just said psychologists. Am talking about people who are not trained. Some may not even see you at all.
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OtemAtum: 7:04pm On Nov 30, 2019
OnPointMan:

You just said psychologists. Am talking about people who are not trained. Some may not even see you at all.
Psychics can do things without being trained too.
Re: Religion: The Greatest Delusion Of All Time by OnPointMan(m): 7:07pm On Nov 30, 2019
OtemAtum:

You said an entity has been revealing things to you. But you don't want to believe other people receive revelations too?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fake Miracle Baby Pastor's Wife Jailed / Oyedepo Has Done Great / If You Don't Speak In Tongues,you're On your Way To Hell!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.