Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. (26003 Views)

Nigerian Navy Launches New Warship / Buhari Nominates Buratai, Olonisakin, Ibas, Abubakar, Usman As Ambassadors / Yusuf Gagdi Inspects Nigerian Navy's New Warship Under Construction In UAE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Factgist: 7:09am On Dec 10, 2019
grin
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by thundafire: 7:11am On Dec 10, 2019
Ok na,so as country big we don't have even submarine let me not talk b4 dey use 10 generation to pay off debt of submarine
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by gambia(m): 7:12am On Dec 10, 2019
Instead of buying solid weapons to combat BH and ISWAP. Clueless folks angry
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Nobody: 7:15am On Dec 10, 2019
I was born on a naval base.

My Dad worked with the NN until he retired in the 90s. So, he used to tell me a lot about NNS Ambe.
At the time, the flagship was NNS Aradu.

The current flagship, NNS Thunder doesn't quite impressed me. Seriously. Considering its history as a decommissioned ship of the USCG.
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Xisnin(m): 7:15am On Dec 10, 2019
Waste of money.
Common sense dictates that we concentrate security resources on the greatest threats facing the country
and not some vainglorious monuments.
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Racoon(m): 7:16am On Dec 10, 2019
VanGap:
The Way Things Dey Go for Naija ehhhhh.If you want to choose presidoo next time.Choose wisely
Choose wisely under the influence of weed shey? grin
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by ceasare: 7:16am On Dec 10, 2019
ideatoprince18:
What does Nigeria need warship for?

Do we have any external threat?

Why was it launched in UAE

Is the keel laying ceremony not good to perform in Nigeria ports or waters?

All this questions keep befuddling my mind

Yet with all these funfair and waste of tax payers money on irrelevant trips like this buhari will still increase tax on d populace to fund these kind of trips.

By the way when will he retire this guy's before ibas too sight naval university in his village.

1 Like

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by lexy2014: 7:16am On Dec 10, 2019
SatanTheDevil:
I see Nigeria becoming a nuclear power

Guy I beg no make person laugh. Day just break
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by OfficialAPCNig: 7:17am On Dec 10, 2019
You forgot to add that the lead Engineer is an Igboman just like an Igbo man led the engineering crew of NNS Andoni, MRP Ezugwu, the NAF drone during GEJ era and recently, Innoson redesign, servicing and refitting of the alpha jet in 2016 in the height of BH when foreign contractors couldn't come to our aid and proforce couldn't do anything.

It was illiterate Innoson that bailed NAF. That success led Innoson into military contracting

3 Likes

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by OfficialAPCNig: 7:20am On Dec 10, 2019
ceasare:

Yet with all these funfair and waste of tax payers money on irrelevant trips like this buhari will still increase tax on d populace to fund these kind of trips.

By the way when will he retire this guy's before ibas too sight naval university in his village.
If the fool retires without siting naval university in beloved SS, he will hear from us
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by noisy45(m): 7:22am On Dec 10, 2019
Just to militarilize the Niger delta and to offload those obsolete t-60 and t 70 Russian tanks grin
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 10, 2019
no water in the north, obviously this government is out to oppress the south, using our oil money to procure warships to kill us, taking loans to fight us.

1 Like

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by noisy45(m): 7:26am On Dec 10, 2019
SatanTheDevil:
I see Nigeria becoming a nuclear power

Have you brushed your mouth this morning grin

1 Like

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by ConqueredWest: 7:28am On Dec 10, 2019
naptu2:
The chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, has performed the keel laying ceremony of Nigeria's new warship in Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates. The ship will be a landing ship tank (LST) and it will replace Nigeria's previous two landing ship tanks, NNS Ambe and NNS Ofiom, which were decommissioned 10 years ago.

The new warship is expected to be completed in May 2020

https://twitter.com/NigNavyToday/status/1204049325980082179

Is there any special design or technology that enables LST to land too close to shallow waters without getting stuck.?
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 10, 2019
ideatoprince18:

You guys just post without thinking really hard. You simply stopped short of saying that the Nigerian Navy should be disbanded.

That was how we thought that we did not have an internal threat, went to sleep without any reasonable preparation and BH came to UnCloth us.

The truth is, the best way to prepare for war is to be ready years before it is even in the horizon.

If you are looking at those wasting the country's scarce, precious funds then look away from the navy. The biggest culprits are those your crooks in civilian attire. I hear they are called politicians.

I am always up for military spendings. I admire countries that spend heavily on decent military equipment. Especially Naval equipment. Sea and air might rule the world.

By the way, need I remind you that Nigeria has a vast coastline? So, why have such a large coastline and leave yourself vulnerable with an ill-equipped Navy simply because there is no immediate "external threat"? Very dangerous.

I only have problems with the fact that the NN take these things abroad when we want to build them. They should get better at these things by upping their game Otherwise, everything is in order.

3 Likes

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by NGpatriot: 7:36am On Dec 10, 2019
In my lifetime, Nigeria is having a warship built from scratch, brand new instead of the usual old and almost lifeless Tokunbo.

It's a great time to be a proud Nigerian.
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by foreshore(m): 7:36am On Dec 10, 2019
naptu2:
Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas with the people that are building the new warship.

The man is so short, i wonder how he was recruited since there is a minimum height requirement
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Admiralwale(m): 7:38am On Dec 10, 2019
Modern landing ships like USS Boxer are more sophisticated. Lets move 2 d modern era.

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Iscoalarcon: 7:38am On Dec 10, 2019
naptu2:
Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas with the people that are building the new warship.
you mean brand new?
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by naptu2: 7:44am On Dec 10, 2019
ideatoprince18:

Nigeria certainly and definitely needs warships for a variety of reasons. We need different types of warships for different reasons.

1) Maritime security: This is the most important reason that we need warships and it's the biggest problem facing Nigeria at the moment.

Countries depend on the sea for trade. Think about the number of ships that arrive Apapa Port, Lome Port and Cotonou Port every day. A country’s economy can be severely affected if ships can not arrive at their ports safely.

Yet there are many pirates that would love to attack these ships, steal their cargo, extort money from the owners of the ship and kidnap the crew.

Read this horrifying story about a Nigerian that was kidnapped by pirates off the coast of Nigeria. https://www.nairaland.com/5518033/boris-oyebanji-kidnapped-pirates-mistakenly

Some people say that piracy is one of the reasons that ships do not berth at the eastern ports in Nigeria. This is an indictment on the Nigerian Navy, which is meant to ensure that ships can sail in Nigerian waters safely.

2) Resources: A lot of Nigeria’s oil and gas resources are off the shores of the country. Many foreign nationals and countries would love to steal those resources. It is the duty of the Navy to secure those resources and there have been many cases of the Nigerian Navy arresting Russian and Ukrainian ships that have stolen oil from Nigeria.

In fact, the Navy has complained that it does not have enough ships to properly patrol Nigeria’s maritime boundary and I watched a presentation in 2005 in which an admiral suggested that the oil companies should buy ships for the navy so that it can properly secure Nigeria’s oil installations.

3) National security: In 1999, when the military was leaving power, some people suggested that Nigeria did not need a military. I thought that those people were crazy. It’s just like saying that you should not have a gate, walls and security guard at your house because you are not quarrelling with anybody. What about armed robbers??

All kinds of countries invaded the Democratic Republic of the Congo during its Civil War in the late 1990s. They did not go there because they loved the Congo. Rather, most of them went there to steal diamonds. Ugandan president, Yoweri Museveni’s brother was indicted for profiting from the war in the Congo (his brother is a general).

Charles Taylor of Liberia created havoc in Sierra Leone primarily because he wanted to steal diamonds from the country. Many innocent Sierra Leoneans were killed and injured because Charles Taylor wanted to steal diamonds. This was possible because they did not have a military that was strong enough to protect them.

Equatorial Guinea was a tiny country off the coast of Nigeria that people did not really take note off until oil was discovered in the country in the late 1990s. In the early 2000s, Margaret Thatcher’s son and some of his friends sponsored a coup in Equatorial Guinea in order to install a government that would give them rights to the oil. Luckily, Nigeria and Zimbabwe found out about the coup. The mercenaries were arrested in Zimbabwe on their way from South Africa to Equatorial Guinea. Nigeria sent its flagship, NNS Aradu, to protect Equatorial Guinea.

Equatorial Guinea discovered that it was important that it had a strong navy and it began investing its oil money in its navy until their navy was almost as strong as Nigeria’s.

3) Regional security: There’s an old adage that says that you must assist your neighbour to put out a fire in his house, otherwise the fire will burn your house too. In the early 1990s, during the wars in Liberia and Sierra Leone, very violent robberies became common in Lagos. This was partly because there were a lot of small arms (especially AK47s) in West Africa due to the wars in Liberia and Sierra Leone. These wars also spread like a fire. The war began in Liberia and then spread to Sierra Leone and then spread to Guinea. There were also a lot of Liberian refugees in Nigeria and that was a security risk (Fohday Sanko was arrested in Abuja).

Therefore it’s important that Nigeria helps its neighbours to put out their fire before it spread to Nigeria. That’s the job of a landing ship tank.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Maziyk: 7:46am On Dec 10, 2019
Your colleagues are building university in their respective home towns and state you are here playing one evil Nigeria, at last ylh will be pushed out like cj Walter onnoghe,fools
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by naptu2: 7:47am On Dec 10, 2019
Iscoalarcon:
you mean brand new?

They haven't finished building it. They will finish building it in May.

Most of Nigeria's warships were built for Nigeria. It's only in the 2000s that we started this practice of acquiring second hand warships and I'm happy that it's coming to an end.

NNS Obuma (Nigeria) was built for Nigeria in the Netherlands in the 1960s, NNS Aradu was built for Nigeria in Germany in the 1970s and '80s, etc.

1 Like

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by marvin906(m): 7:51am On Dec 10, 2019
Admiralwale:
Modern landing ships like USS Boxer are more sophisticated. Lets move 2 d modern era.

and who will pay the cost of building that and what about maintenance..
stop living in a fantasy

1 Like

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by naptu2: 7:52am On Dec 10, 2019
NGpatriot:
In my lifetime, Nigeria is having a warship built from scratch, brand new instead of the usual old and almost lifeless Tokunbo.

Most of Nigeria's warships were built for Nigeria. It's only in the 2000s that we started this practice of acquiring second hand warships and I'm happy that it's coming to an end.

NNS Obuma (Nigeria) was built for Nigeria in the Netherlands in the 1960s, NNS Aradu was built for Nigeria in Germany in the 1970s and '80s, etc.

In fact, in the past few years, Nigeria has had corvettes built for it in China. These are NNS Centenary and NNS Unity. They were ordered by the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan and commissioned by the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_056_corvette

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NNS_Aradu
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by NGpatriot: 7:54am On Dec 10, 2019
mansakhalifa:

You guys just post without thinking really hard. You simply stopped short of saying that the Nigerian Navy should be disbanded.

That was how we thought that we did not have an internal threat, went to sleep without any reasonable preparation and BH came to UnCloth us.

The truth is, the best way to prepare for war is to be ready years before it is even in the horizon.

If you are looking at those wasting the country's scarce, precious funds then look away from the navy. The biggest culprits are those your crooks in civilian attire. I hear they are called politicians.

I am always up for military spendings. I admire countries that spend heavily on decent military equipment. Especially Naval equipment. Sea and air might rule the world.

By the way, need I remind you that Nigeria has a vast coastline? So, why have such a large coastline and leave yourself vulnerable with an ill-equipped Navy simply because there is no immediate "external threat"? Very dangerous.

I only have problems with the fact that the NN take these things abroad when we want to build them. They should get better at these things by upping their game Otherwise, everything is in order.

The same people are always quick to compare and tell us how South Africa and other counties have better weapons and military hardware than Nigeria, but the moment Nigeria acquires something similar, they'll change their story and start spewing illiterate rubbish all over the place.

These characters are naturally born to hate, to be sad, bitter and mentally stale.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by BreconHills(m): 7:56am On Dec 10, 2019
naptu2:

Thank you.

NNS Aradu was an amazing build. Anti ship, anti sub with its 2 onboard helicopters/sonar dip devices and a threat to air and land forces with its missiles. A revolutionary ship.

Very good piece. I look forward to reading more of your posts. Informative and well written.

3 Likes

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by naptu2: 7:57am On Dec 10, 2019
BreconHills:

NNS Aradu was an amazing build. Anti ship, anti sub with its 2 onboard helicopters/sonar dip devices and a threat to air and land forces with its missiles. A revolutionary ship.

Very good piece. I look forward to reading more of your posts. Informative and well written.

Thank you.
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by naptu2: 8:00am On Dec 10, 2019
It became very clear that Nigeria needs a landing ship tank during the operation in the Gambia.

Nigeria had taken the lead in Ecomog operations in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea in the 1990s, but it wasn't that easy for us to deploy to Gambia because we had no carrier of any sort. Senegal took the lead in that operation.
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by naptu2: 8:07am On Dec 10, 2019
ideatoprince18:

O yeah, I forgot to answer your other two questions.

The keel laying ceremony was held in the UAE because that's where the ship is being built.

No large warship has been built in Nigeria. However, the Nigerian Navy and private Nigerian companies are working towards this goal.

They've built two seaward defence boats in Nigeria and our corvettes that were built in China were completed in Nigeria.

These are the two Nigerian-built seaward defence boats.

1) NNS Andoni

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NNS_Andoni

2) NNS Karaduwa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NNS_Karaduwa_(P102)

1 Like

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by slimthugchimee2(m): 8:10am On Dec 10, 2019
NGpatriot:

Then you must be about 2years old

NNS unity launched 2016 was built newly, nns karaduwa and andoni were even built here in Nigeria, NNS centenary was built brand new and so many others that I don't have strength to explain

1 Like

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by GreenArrow1(m): 8:18am On Dec 10, 2019
OfficialAPCNig:
You forgot to add that the lead Engineer is an Igboman just like an Igbo man led the engineering crew of NNS Andoni, MRP Ezugwu, the NAF drone during GEJ era and recently, Innoson redesign, servicing and refitting of the alpha jet in 2016 in the height of BH when foreign contractors couldn't come to our aid and proforce couldn't do anything.

It was illiterate Innoson that bailed NAF. That success led Innoson into military contracting

Those are very wise Igbo men who are Nigerians like most of my Igbo friends are. Not those second-class low-bred constantly whining no-good lads we have running around the internet spewing trash.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Borno IPMAN Directs Members To Suspend Operations, Shut ALL Filling Stations / Photos From Godwin Obaseki's Campaign Flag Off In Edo State / Thugs Invade Polling Units In Ogbomoso, Seize Thumb-printed Ballot Papers, Boxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.