Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,004 members, 7,852,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:53 PM

Tutor To Earn: How To Start A Home Tutoring Service In 2020 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tutor To Earn: How To Start A Home Tutoring Service In 2020 (422 Views)

Best Online Tutoring Service In Australia / Freelance Tutoring Service / Tutoring Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tutor To Earn: How To Start A Home Tutoring Service In 2020 by Chisometutors: 10:05pm On Dec 27, 2019
Have you considered providing tutorial services? Tutoring is a great way to earn extra income while doing what you love (teaching).
Personally, I believe the choice I made to become a tutor is one of the best decisions I have made career-wise. Here’s some of my why:
• I get to call my own shots i.e. I choose when, where and I how I would like to work
• I have been able to keep myself occupied during my spare time and earn between 70,000 – 90,000 Naira monthly on a part-time basis
• I have the opportunity to pursue other activities without then conflicting with my classes
One thing though, I had no formal experience or teaching qualification when I started in 2015; I still do not have any teaching qualification but so far, my tutoring business has done nothing but flourish. If I can achieve this within a short time, so can you!
However, the major problem you may be having now is how to get started.
Here are 8 basic steps to help you start your own home tutoring business:
Step 1: Assess Yourself
Tutoring requires you to have the basic teaching skill, passion, patience and dedication before you can be successful. What skills do you have to offer? How flexible is your schedule? Where and when would you like to tutor? These are some questions to ask yourself.
Step 2: Have Good Credentials
Having good credentials shows a parent that you take your studies seriously and you know what you are doing. Parents seek to have tutors who are smart, intelligent and grounded in their chosen subject area. This reassures them that you are equal to the task and can help their ward improve their grades and excel in their exams. I had good grades in my first degree and having a second degree gave me an extra edge. So far, no parent has doubted my competency-based on that.
Step 3: Decide On Who You Will Tutor
It is not possible to teach everyone. The best bet is to decide on the class of learner you resonate with. For me, I tutor learners in primary school because I get along with them. So if you feel comfortable tutoring older students, by all means, have at it. when you work with learners that you can relate with, they will, in turn, be ready to receive your tutoring.
Step 4: Figure Out Your Fees
The main reason you started tutoring is to make money. So make a research on what other tutors in your niche and location are charging. And try to fix your rates within the margin. As you gain momentum you can increase your rates. Don’t go too high with pricing and don’t go too low either.
Step 5: Be Found
Tell people you know: friends, family members, colleagues, neighbours etc. about your tutorial service. Most of my learners are from the recommendation made by my friends and family members about my services. Registering with an agency also made things faster and easier. Most parents trust tutorial agencies because it is already established. Although agencies collect a commission for their services, it pays on the short run for new tutors. All you need is a profile and you can start requesting for tutorial jobs. A few tutoring agencies to checkout are Tuteria, ProTeach, Prepclass, Citytutors etc. You are not limited to these, feel free to do your research.
Step 6: Prepare Your Materials
You need to be familiar with your chosen subject area. For instance, if you intend to tutor a primary school learner, revising their curriculum will do you much good. So get the relevant materials and start studying. It does not speak well of you if you are ill-prepared as a tutor.
Step 7: Have a Tutorial Strategy
Knowing how to handle your lessons is key. Try to plan your lesson in a way that it is not boring and the learner is also engaged throughout the duration of the class. I start with assessing the needs of the learner first to find out areas that could be a challenge. Then I create a lesson plan to suit their needs.
Step 8: Make Your Terms of Service Clear
From the onset, let parents and learners know how you work. I have had situations where parents reschedule lessons without prior notice, expect me to add extra time when a learner comes late for a lesson, delay payments and expect immediate transformation for their child who in turn is not willing to work hard. Having a policy pays, it saves you the headache and troubles. So think of things you would not accept and let parents know on the onset before lessons start. If they agree to it, all well and good and if they don’t, ask yourself this “am I willing to take the risk?”
Bear in mind that the first day of tutoring can feel very uncomfortable but when you have a positive mindset and believe in yourself, you will do well.

For more tips on home tutoring, I have a resource you can download for FREE. Click on the link below to get it http://chisomnazuokorie.trainquarters.com/show/thewsoftutoringfreebieoptin

(1) (Reply)

Upgrade JAMB UTME CBT Score 2020 Online | Full Procedure. / Unilag Cut Off Marks 2020| All Faculties And Departments / UNILAG 2020/2021 DIPLOMA/FOUNDATION APPLICATION FORM IS OUT - 08158942445

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.