Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,460 members, 7,823,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Misconception About Genotype - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Misconception About Genotype (273 Views)

Sexsomnia: A Misconception For “Spirit Husband” / Genotype Combinations And Possible Results. Educate Yourselves / "We Are Both AS Genotype And We Don't Consider Break-Up As An Option" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Misconception About Genotype by digitaltrades: 2:40am On Jan 08, 2020
This post is sequel to https://www.nairaland.com/5616004/genotype-wants-ruin-me-fighting. And the final words of the OP, cheato64, make me want to correct certain misconceptions about Genotype.

Misconception

If two individuals with AS genotypes get married and give birth to say 4 children, only one (25% chance) of their offsprings will have SS genotype while the remaining 3 will have AA or AS genotype.

The Hard Truth

The AS/AS Chart really means that each child has 25%, 50% or 25% chance of having AA, AS or SS genotype. This means each child can be AA, AS or SS in no particular order. In fact, all the children of such a couple can come with SS Genotypes.

Imagine having 4 kids all with SS Genotype! Imagine the pain and suffering on the part of the kids and the psychological trauma on the part of the parents! Imagine the cost of treatment!

Last time I checked, the only permanent solution to sickle cell anaemia is bone marrow transplant, which is costly. It's either such parents take their 4 sickler kids for bone marrow transplant and risk going bankrupt or they leave the 4 kids to wallow in pain and live on liver-damaging analgesics and electrolyte therapy all their lives.

Furthermore, there is no assurance that the AS kids will live up to 25 years before they give up the ghost even if the parent has money to foot medical bills for the kids! Does it really worth it?! What's the point in spending such huge amount and undergoing so much psychological trauma only to bury the kid in his/her prime of life!

My conclusion

Any AS genotype parent that intentionally marries another AS parent is a wicked person deserving a death sentence (in my opinion). Why would a parent condemn a poor, innocent kid to a life of suffering and pain because he or she doesn't want to leave his or her AS partner? It is simple selfishness and wickedness; not love at all!

Bro cheato64, take good note of this. You cannot blame ignorance anymore for your wrong choice. It will be your fault all the way, and you may look back upon today and wish you didn't make this wrong decision because of your selfishness. What is controlling you isn't love but selfishness. True love will let go if it will benefit both parties.

Lalasticala, kindly take note.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Misconception About Genotype by Kingpee2(m): 3:11am On Jan 08, 2020
A whole lot of people should read this especially those I love my partner and I don’t want to lose him or her ,marriage is beyond just love alone ....

2 Likes

Re: Misconception About Genotype by AlphaMogul: 11:02am On Aug 24, 2021
digitaltrades:
This post is sequel to https://www.nairaland.com/5616004/genotype-wants-ruin-me-fighting. And the final words of the OP, cheato64, make me want to correct certain misconceptions about Genotype.

Misconception

If two individuals with AS genotypes get married and give birth to say 4 children, only one (25% chance) of their offsprings will have SS genotype while the remaining 3 will have AA or AS genotype.

The Hard Truth

The AS/AS Chart really means that each child has 25%, 50% or 25% chance of having AA, AS or SS genotype. This means each child can be AA, AS or SS in no particular order. In fact, all the children of such a couple can come with SS Genotypes.

Imagine having 4 kids all with SS Genotype! Imagine the pain and suffering on the part of the kids and the psychological trauma on the part of the parents! Imagine the cost of treatment!

Last time I checked, the only permanent solution to sickle cell anaemia is bone marrow transplant, which is costly. It's either such parents take their 4 sickler kids for bone marrow transplant and risk going bankrupt or they leave the 4 kids to wallow in pain and live on liver-damaging analgesics and electrolyte therapy all their lives.

Furthermore, there is no assurance that the AS kids will live up to 25 years before they give up the ghost even if the parent has money to foot medical bills for the kids! Does it really worth it?! What's the point in spending such huge amount and undergoing so much psychological trauma only to bury the kid in his/her prime of life!

My conclusion

Any AS genotype parent that intentionally marries another AS parent is a wicked person deserving a death sentence (in my opinion). Why would a parent condemn a poor, innocent kid to a life of suffering and pain because he or she doesn't want to leave his or her AS partner? It is simple selfishness and wickedness; not love at all!

Bro cheato64, take good note of this. You cannot blame ignorance anymore for your wrong choice. It will be your fault all the way, and you may look back upon today and wish you didn't make this wrong decision because of your selfishness. What is controlling you isn't love but selfishness. True love will let go if it will benefit both parties.

Lala, kindly take note.
Yup! This post is very valid!

I know of a wealthy family that
had 7 children, and 4 of them
had sickle cell leaving only 3 free!

The belief that only 1 in 4 children
will have sickle cell is just a
percentage probability. Just as
the original post stated, it's true
that all the 2, 3 or 4 of the children (of parents who are both AS) can
turn out as sickle cell carriers.

(1) (Reply)

Power Of Rida Bitter ,pure Natural Herbal Medicine Whtspp 07036845662 / UK Teacher Claims He Beat Coronavirus With ‘hot Whisky And Honey’.new York Post / Remdesivir: New Drug Tested In Fight Against Coronavirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.