Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,719 members, 7,834,379 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy (40555 Views)

Africa Day 2020: President Buhari Preaches Peace Across The Continent / Nigeria Re-emergence As Africa’s Biggest Economy, An Economic Scorecard Of PMB / Nigeria Has Taken Over South Africa As Africa Biggest Economy ~ BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by PHijo(m): 12:00pm On Mar 04, 2020
Officialgarri:
I thought they said Buhari is a disaster, so where's all these good news coming from. ?

We wailers can't stop crying after hearing good news.

Another will still join you with "audio economy" even if the source is Bloomberg.

What is the 'good news' ? Until Nigeria grows between 7-12 percent the news is not good!

Our population is growing by 3 percent per annum.

2 percent growth is way below our population growth figures.

What annoying is that our growth rate is not strong because of Buhari's gross incompetence. If we had competent hands in charge, 6 percent would have been realistic for last year, 9-11 percent for this year and then we try to sustain growth in the 10 percent range for at least a decade. We need double digit growth for at least a decade to reduce poverty in Nigeria to the barest minimum.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Nobody: 12:02pm On Mar 04, 2020
sulaak:

Apartheid is long gone, blacks have been in power for close to 25 years, how long did it take Japan, China, South Korea, Russia and Germany to rebuild their country after the destruction of the second world war. Let's stop making excuses for bad and greedy leadership.

Millions of Blacks are still living in shanty towns and shacks, what is the government policies on rural-urban development, if not that they are busy hosting the FIFA world cup, buying expensive military weapons and building power plants that don't work.
Japan, China, South Korea, Russia and Germany had already built a structured civilisation and society hundreds of years before the World War II so they are different South Africa an African country was behind and apartheid held them down too for years until Mandela finally became president. He moved South Africa forward though it was impossible to do it fully due to the damage done by apartheid and the short time he had.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by IronGalaxy: 12:04pm On Mar 04, 2020
Odinaka00:

Lol so you 're boldly saying that Black Africans can't rule themselves? Who did this to us? Lol

But judging by what Mandela achieved when he was the President, Judging by what Thabo Mbeki achieved when he was ruling, you would agree with me that they did great as black presidents. Zuma was the one who put South Africa in this current situation which the current President Ramaphosa is struggling to solve. My point is even with the blacks in South African Government, they 're still doing great things. Maintaining their roads, clean water, government hospitals, service delivery and so on. I'm a Nigerian and I love Nigeria with all my heart. But untill you travel outside Naija, you nor go know how bleeped up Nigerian politicians are.. All the past presidents and current one are all useless
Exactly, Exactly.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by NothingDoMe: 12:08pm On Mar 04, 2020
Rossinnki:

You never say this shiit when a southerner is president.

Be patient. Buhari won't be there forever. undecided
I can't wait abeg. Let someone who understands economics take over.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by JaceBlaze: 12:14pm On Mar 04, 2020
IronGalaxy:
You Nigerians though, why do you guys love white people so much? It really really baffles me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRybn_mNh4Q

This 1:13 video clip from The Boondocks covers all bases of what Nigerians are all about.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by IronGalaxy: 12:16pm On Mar 04, 2020
JaceBlaze:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRybn_mNh4Q

This 1:13 video clip from The Boondocks covers all bases of what Nigerians are all about.
Bra, this Uncle Ruckus mentality its what's killing Naija tbh grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Magicians: 12:18pm On Mar 04, 2020
Great igbo that can't fight successfully for it own freedom something black Sudan, Eritrea and many other smaller country did. Your entire tribe need to commit suicide out of shame instead of boasting or bragging over failure.

Igbo hating Buhari is no news considering your forefathers inherited sorrow of wail from claim by the same igbo that you are hated by Ikwerre Hausa Kanuri Fulani Yoruba South Africans Malaysian Singaporeans Indians Arabs Chinese Mongolian Ghanaian Togolese n several others.

A common trait among Igbo is being nurtured from the womb by bigoted parents with irredeemable hate, acute bigotry n extreme foolishness so no surprises from where you are coming from.

enemybulldozer:
From what I observed, you need the services of a psychiatrist to examine what you have inside of your skull.

Why should you expect kanu to conduct a referendum, is he the zoogerian president??
If your brain is not damaged you should know why your god buhari is being hated by the great Igbos.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by JaceBlaze: 12:21pm On Mar 04, 2020
IronGalaxy:
Bra, this Uncle Ruckus mentality its what's killing Naija tbh grin
Even African Americans call Nigerians worshippers of the massa.I once heard comedian,Aries Spears address their house nigger tendencies.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 04, 2020
nameo:

Do you know that this is nothing to celebrate here, and infact that this indicts this Govt??

Clue: In 2014, Nigeria became the largest economy in Africa and valued at $509.9bn whilst South Africa was $370.3bn.

Today, Nigerian economy has according to your report in the OP declined to $472/402bn i.e a decline of about $38bn( it would even be more if you take into account inflation rate between then and now).

The only reason SA overtook us was that our growth since then has been very sluggish with us entering into a recession(successive "negative" growth). The reason why you just overtook SA again is that they just entered their 2nd recession within the period.

In real terms, none of the countries grew.

So quit that Buhari worship. On the economy, as with almost everything else, he has failed.

God bless you. I wanted to reply the idiots glorifying mediocrity and cluelessness. But no need, you said it succinctly.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by IronGalaxy: 12:25pm On Mar 04, 2020
JaceBlaze:
Even African Americans call Nigerians worshippers of the massa.I once heard comedian,Aries Spears address their house nigger tendencies.
Yeah, I've heard of that, you're quite correct. There's a misconception that in the US that says Africans Americans and Africans don't get along, and I think it stems from the fact that Nigerians go there and align with the white man and end up looking down on black Americans and ultimately creating tension for other Africans. The white worship is real

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Nobody: 12:27pm On Mar 04, 2020
Magicians:
Great igbo that can't fight successfully for it own freedom something black Sudan, Eritrea and many other smaller country did. Your entire tribe need to commit suicide out of shame instead of boasting or bragging over failure.

Igbo hating Buhari is no news considering your forefathers inherited sorrow of wail from claim by the same igbo that you are hated by Ikwerre Hausa Kanuri Fulani Yoruba South Africans Malaysian Singaporeans Indians Arabs Chinese Mongolian Ghanaian Togolese n several others.

A common trait among Igbo is being nurtured from the womb by bigoted parents with irredeemable hate, acute bigotry n extreme foolishness so no surprises from where you are coming from.

I am igbo bro why must you talk like this it isn't fair man. If this was quora you would have been reported. This is a bad thing to do honestly. If we must move forward in this country we must stop this bigotry.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Magicians: 12:29pm On Mar 04, 2020
[quote author=IronGalaxy post=87156816][/quote] It matters little what anyone wish, South Africa should just get it economy out of recession n keep it development rate so it continue to be the envy of many of us that understand what development is all about.

You should worry less about nitwit here in Nigeria that compare development in both countries. If Nigeria was that great multitude won't be flocking to SA like they flock to Europe.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Magicians: 12:32pm On Mar 04, 2020
IronGalaxy:
How are we lazy but then build roads, ports , build new hospitals, power plants etc? Your people hop to South Africa daily to enjoy these fruits of labour of the very same "lazy people". And what does Xenophobia got to do with this?

You waste your time replying stupid n retarded Nigerians that knows only to denigrate others while their own cities are rotten to the core.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by IronGalaxy: 12:32pm On Mar 04, 2020
Magicians:
It matters little what anyone wish, South Africa should just get it economy out of recession n keep it development rate so it continue to be the envy of many of us that understand what development is all about.

You should worry less about nitwit here in Nigeria that compare development in both countries. If Nigeria was that great multitude won't be flocking to SA like they flock to Europe.
Recession is Recession, stop equating us to Zimbabwe. Finish

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Area4Area: 12:33pm On Mar 04, 2020
nuele:

Am so happy you mentioned South Korea economy. I see them as a fine blueprint for us to follow diligently infact to read as a text.

1 dollar to 1187 Won.

Poor currency ratio of course.

However, the economy is export driven. Export driven economy is a great changer. More still, they are very technologically developed. In short they have factories. They can self produce machines. Family businesses and conglomerates such as Hyundai automobile, Samsung and LG, they export electronics, textiles, ships, steels etc

Then most of it's problem is historical,North Korean trouble. Dollar against it has been high from time past.

But their per capital income is high, highly technological society.

For the high dollar, they try to buy from their fellow Asians and self production, their problem is mainly historical, compared to we that the problem shouldn't be at all
I was only trying to remove that notion in some people that the closer the exchange rate of a currency to the dollar, the bigger, stronger its economy is and that is why I used South Korea.
Japan is another example, over 100 yen to the dollar and we don't need to educate anyone on how rich, industrialized and big its economy is.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Magicians: 12:34pm On Mar 04, 2020
Na mouth dem de use propel GDP growth.
Which world economy is growing at over 10% ?

PHijo:

What is the 'good news' ? Until Nigeria grows between 7-12 percent the news is not good!

Our population is growing by 3 percent per annum.

2 percent growth is way below our population growth figures.

What annoying is that our growth rate is not strong because of Buhari's gross incompetence. If we had competent hands in charge, 6 percent would have been realistic for last year, 9-11 percent for this year and then we try to sustain growth in the 10 percent range for at least a decade. We need double digit growth for at least a decade to reduce poverty in Nigeria to the barest minimum.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by IronGalaxy: 12:34pm On Mar 04, 2020
Magicians:

You waste your time replying stupid n retarded Nigerians that knows only to denigrate others while their own cities are rotten to the core.
Ai they are slow bra, but somehow I've become used to it. They are like that special child that needs extra care.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Em5(m): 12:37pm On Mar 04, 2020
nameo:

Do you know that this is nothing to celebrate here, and infact that this indicts this Govt??

Clue: In 2014, Nigeria became the largest economy in Africa and valued at $509.9bn whilst South Africa was $370.3bn.

Today, Nigerian economy has according to your report in the OP declined to $472/402bn i.e a decline of about $38bn( it would even be more if you take into account inflation rate between then and now).

The only reason SA overtook us was that our growth since then has been very sluggish with us entering into a recession(successive "negative" growth). The reason why you just overtook SA again is that they just entered their 2nd recession within the period.

So quit that Buhari worship. On the economy, as with almost everything else, he has failed.

Before you go on to mislead people with your misguided analysis you missed to factor in the role slump in oil price played. In 2014 the price of crude oil was ~$93/barrel hence the robust $509bn economy, fast forward 2019 the price of crude is ~$50/barrel. If your salary was N93k and later dropped to N50k per month will your economy still be the same? Will you still be able to afford chicken everyday?

This is coming after the crash of oil price in 2016 which saw many oil dependent economies slip into recession including Nigeria. While other countries are still battling to survive the recession Nigeria has since come out of the recession and is making gradual steady progress.

Please, be guided.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by timesup234: 12:43pm On Mar 04, 2020
Area4Area:
Hold on, what was calculated there was the GDP nominal which takes into account the exchange rate to the dollar, if the naira becomes 150 to a dollar today, GDP nominal would increase. The 509.9 billion figure was when the naira was higher than this.

GDP PPP doesn't take fully the exchange rate to the dollar and it actually gives the real state of the economy, someone who earns 350k naira in Nigeria and someone earning $1k in the US, who do you think would be living better. In dollar terms, they're both earning $1k. This is what the GDP PPP evaluates and that's why our GDP PPP is over $1.2 trillion today despite the 470 billion as the GDP nominal.
You be economist. You deserve 50k to take groove this weekend

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Magicians: 12:48pm On Mar 04, 2020
I will reply to you only once.

You think I do not understood what I did is wrong
? Well I do but will I stop ? No, I won't.

Why ?

because out of bigotry laced with foolishness you read what your igbo compatriot wrote bragging n insulting everyone from page 1 of this post till the last page but I went through your post for today, I am yet to see you caution anyone with bigger bigotry induced comment from the Igbos but you foolishly as the effrontery to quote n advice what am doing is wrong.

In your delusion n foolishness do you mean only foolish igbos should have the right to make insulting n bigoted remarks on NL ? Do your father own NL or you think others are not hurt when your cursed tribesmen make such remarks ? Yet, you can only caution those paying them back in their own coin.

Did I start bigoted remarks on this page or I was replying a foolish n bigoted Igbo who you refuse to caution ? It is Amadioha that will fire your soul for the audacity to caution me while you ignore Igbos with more bigoted comment. I for include your entire household n unborn generation for the curse but make I just leave u for now.

Ausrichie:

I am igbo bro why must you talk like this it isn't fair man. If this was quora you would have been reported. This is a bad thing to do honestly. If we must move forward in this country we must stop this bigotry.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 04, 2020
Magicians:
I will reply to you only once.

You think I do not understood what I did is wrong
? Well I do but will I stop ? No, I won't.

Why ?

because out of bigotry laced with foolishness you read what your igbo compatriot wrote bragging n insulting everyone from page 1 of this post till the last page but I went through your post for today, I am yet to see you caution anyone with bigger bigotry induced comment from the Igbos but you foolishly as the effrontery to quote n advice what am doing is wrong.

In your delusion n foolishness do you mean only foolish igbos should have the right to make insulting n bigoted remarks on NL ? Do your father own NL or you think others are not hurt when your cursed tribesmen make such remarks ? Yet, you can only caution those paying them back in their own coin.

Did I start bigoted remarks on this page or I was replying a foolish n bigoted Igbo who you refuse to caution ? It is Amadioha that will fire your soul for the audacity to caution me while you ignore Igbos with more bigoted comment. I for include your entire household n unborn generation for the curse but make I just leave u for now.

I did not read his other posts bro. Why do you insult me like this? Haba I never said a bad word to you. To move forward as a nation I will caution him if that is okay by you. Don't be this radical with people it isn't good.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Sassyp(m): 12:54pm On Mar 04, 2020
GOD bless you...it shouldnt just be BIG ON PAPER...People are still hungry and suffering.
chriskosherbal:
Not just big theoretically it should reflect in the day to day lives of the ordinaigerians, bringing about the desired positive they crave for otherwise it's equal zero.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by juman(m): 12:55pm On Mar 04, 2020
Wishing south africa better leaders.
ANC people are clown of leaders and very corrupt.

Meanwhile, it shameful that the economy of nigeria is comparable to SA. Two hundred million people country vs fifty six million people.

One Nigeria is a mistake and mess.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by PHijo(m): 12:56pm On Mar 04, 2020
Magicians:
Na mouth dem de use propel GDP growth.
Which world economy is growing at over 10% ?

So for your mind Nigeria na 'world economy '?

How man percent of global GDP does Nigeria account for?
Do you know South Africa and Egypt have much larger capital markets in comparison with Nigeria's?

Do you know South Africa, Morocco and Egypt all have banking sectors that are much larger than Nigeria's?

They all have functional aviation hubs, Nigeria doesn't.

What this means is that even based on African standards Nigeria is backwards. Since Nigeria is backwards, there is room for double digit growth if those in charge embark on the right reforms and support the process with fiscal stimulus.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by MrMou: 12:57pm On Mar 04, 2020
nameo:

Mr man, what are comparing? Apples Vs Oranges.

The growth for last quarter of 2019 was bout 2.55%. That is low by Nigeria's standard. In 2014, growth was above 6%.

The reason it is the best in 4 years is cos other quarterly growth since this Govt came in has been even more dismal. And like i said earlier, it is an indictment on Buhari handling of the economy
Mr man, why you dey call 2014 like say Jona no rule enter 2015?
Jonathan left our GDP growth at a dismal 2.35% when he left office in May 2015 from the 7.68% he met it when he assumed office.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by myobjective: 12:59pm On Mar 04, 2020
Em5:

Before you go on to mislead people with your misguided analysis you missed to factor in the role slump in oil price played. In 2014 the price of crude oil was ~$93/barrel hence the robust $509bn economy, fast forward 2019 the price of crude is ~$50/barrel. If your salary was N93k and later dropped to N50k per month will your economy still be the same? Will you still be able to afford chicken everyday?

This is coming after the crash of oil price in 2016 which saw many oil dependent economies slip into recession including Nigeria. While other countries are still battling to survive the recession Nigeria has since come out of the recession and is making gradual steady progress.

Please, be guided.

The biggest problem here is that the population is exploding at 3% per annum without any effort to diversify away from crude or reduce the population to reflect our economic reality.

I don't consider what we are expressing as steady progress, more people are sliding into poverty annually. Agriculture and small scale industries which should be engine of growth is seriously ampere by current insecurity and economic policies of the government.

We the citizens also have a role to play, by investing more into our small scale, agro processing and small scale mining. We also need to reduce our birth rate considerably and our taste for foreign goods.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by PHijo(m): 1:01pm On Mar 04, 2020
Em5:

Please, be guided.

Nigeria's problem was not the fall in oil price but Buhari's incompetence. We are not the only oil producing country in the world. He failed to do the right things. Emefiele was dealing with monetary policy but he failed to get support from Buhari on the fiscal side.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Nobody: 1:02pm On Mar 04, 2020
enemybulldozer:
OH yes, Biafra owns the oil that makes nigger-area what it is today.

The days of divide and rule is over. As the days of Niger delta and SS is over just like the days of bendel is over. What we have now is Biafra forget about what those hungry abuja paid groups are saying ohaneze ndi Igbo included.

If you are in doubt of what am saying, tell your Oga at the top to conduct a referendum let's see who wants to be a nigger-arean.
Bros calm down with the tribal stuff. If you support secession then talk wisely. I am not insulting you just suggesting please let's fight this tribalism stuff on NL.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by juman(m): 1:03pm On Mar 04, 2020
Out of two hundred million people Nigerians, the old confused general is the person that was elected as president.

Omase ooooooo.
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by justtoodark: 1:03pm On Mar 04, 2020
jaxxy:

We are greatly deceiving ourselves. U think it’s by making noise abi? What bloody biggest economy? Unless u mean biggest economy of rogues then i will believe u.

Has figures ever added up in this country especially in this government

ehen ehen....but you supported that jonabasstard to declare nigeria giant of africa back then....
what realy changed since then....??
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by DexterousOne(m): 1:04pm On Mar 04, 2020
nameo:

Exactly

Sub Saharan Africa are really messing up
Re: Nigeria Now Tops South Africa As The Continent's Biggest Economy by Magicians: 1:04pm On Mar 04, 2020
OK I understand you n do wish for the same thing but all I am asking is all these things you claim Nigeria lacks that can propel it to double digit economic growth since it is not only Nigeria that lack such please give us one name of any economy that lack suck n is growing at the double digit you believe Nigeria can grow at or you expect us to accept your deluded nightmare as a reality we must or can achieve with boko Haram, militancy banditry plaguing the country ?!

That is all I ask not another tales of woes or delusion as to how Nigeria can grow at triple digit because someone just woke up from Utopia.

PHijo:
j0
So for your mind Nigeria na 'world economy '?

How man percent of global GDP does Nigeria account for?
Do you know South Africa and Egypt have much larger capital markets in comparison with Nigeria's?

Do you know South Africa, Morocco and Egypt all have banking sectors that are much larger than Nigeria's?

They all have functional aviation hubs, Nigeria doesn't.

What this means is that even based on African standards Nigeria is backwards. Since Nigeria is backwards, there is room for double digit growth if those in charge embark on the right reforms and support the process with fiscal stimulus.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Oshiomhole, Obaseki, In Traditional Outfits As Osinbajo Arrives Benin Airport / Shiites’ Member Faints As Buhari Returns (Photo) / Police Recapture Kuje Prison Escapee, Musa Abdulkarim In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.