Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,530 members, 7,830,570 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus (30024 Views)

Experts Want More Nigerians Tested For COVID-19 / Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience / My Experience Trying To Get Tested For Covid-19 In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by Opinionated: 12:55pm On Mar 04, 2020
That the world is currently under the strong grip of the coronavirus also known as COVID-19 is not in doubt. There have been suggestions in some quarters that African countries like Nigeria are less-prepared to deal with the disease. However, there is mounting evidence that the so-called developed world might be struggling more with managing the spread of the disease. An American Twitter user, @into_the_brush has shared her experience of trying to get herself tested for the coronavirus. Please read her story next:

I live in Seattle, I have all symptoms of COVID-19 and have a history of chronic bronchitis.

Since I work in a physical therapy clinic with many 65+ patients and those with chronic illnesses, I decided to be responsible and go to get tested. This is how that went.

I called the Corona hotline, was on hold for 40 minutes and gave up.

So I looked at the CDC and Washington public health websites. They told me to see a primary care doctor, but there’s no information about testing.

I called 2 primary care doctors. One told me they don’t know where to get testing, and that I should not to seek out testing. The other one told me to go to an urgent care or ER.

I called the Urgent Care, they also had no idea where tests are, but told me to call the hospital.

I called the hospital. They do not have tests, but transferred me to the COVID-19 hotline to “answer my questions”. Since I was transferred on a medical provider line, I actually got through. Progress!

The lady with the hotline was very kind and professional and understood my concern about my own health and those at my clinic. (Which is currently being sanitized). However, I was told I do not qualify for testing. And I was not given a timeline or info on current resources.

So. Who does qualify? Those who have been out of the country in the last 14 days, and those who have had contact with one of the few people who have been tested and come up positive. That’s it.

The only way I can get treated is if my symptoms get so bad I develop pneumonia or bronchitis, which is very likely in my case. Then I’ll be in the ER and quarantined for several days while waiting for a test and for the results to come back.

This is all incredibly frustrating because I am trying to do everything right in a system that punishes moments of “weakness” like taking days off.

It’s also scary to know that I won’t be able to get help until I need life support.

To sum up: this is not contained. No one knows what the f*ck is happening. I can’t work. WASH YOUR F*CKING HANDS.

From this story it is clear that every country in the world cannot afford to relax and needs to put in strong contingency measures to curb the spread of coronavirus.

https://mobile.twitter.com/into_the_brush/status/1234685467682979840

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by dawnomike(m): 1:27pm On Mar 04, 2020
Sorry about that... This is where we have all gotten the world to

7 Likes

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by eedimo(m): 1:45pm On Mar 04, 2020
Sometimes I think WE (humans) have overstayed our welcome in this world.

There should be an international Day of prayers tagged "GOD WE ARE TIRED"�

We need to ask God to shorten his waiting period.

What I'm I even saying sev�

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by Slawormir: 1:45pm On Mar 04, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr

This viruse is damnnnnn real
Anyway we real niggarrrs ain't scared of shit

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by vincentjk(m): 1:45pm On Mar 04, 2020
Las las God go protect us

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 04, 2020
Small thing dem Don day cry shocked

If she hear the name Buhari, or Afonja shey she fit shout?? Lubbish angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by Donbosco46: 1:46pm On Mar 04, 2020
Funny people
Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by spartan50(m): 1:47pm On Mar 04, 2020
Na wa
Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by YorubaKinging: 1:47pm On Mar 04, 2020
It's funny how people think God can't save his people from this virus
But whether they believe it or not
It's not the hot weather here in Lagos or in any of our cities
It is because God loves his people
He chose the tribe of Israel alone out of all the tribes in the world
And He will choose them again to show forth his praise
Although His people are gone backward and Chose other gods which are not gods but the work of men
Although the people have been enslaved throughout history
The remnant in Zion also have been given to shepherds who feeds themselves alone
Their prophets are blind
Still He will help them
Many wonders your eyes will behold
It's time to reveal His people

28 Likes

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by linearity: 1:48pm On Mar 04, 2020
If you think you have the virus and are developing signs, don’t stress yourself trying to go get tested.

It is of no use, except to quarantine you and isolate you from the general public, so you don’t spread it....but you can do that yourself and self-quarantine yourself in your house, drink plenty of fluid, rest very well do everything to nourish yourself to give your immune system a fighting chance.

There is no magic pill the hospital can give you that ‘cure’ a virus infection all that can be done is aid your body immune system to fight the virus invaders, and you can do the same from the comfort of your house.

Also, mortality rate is about 2-3%, so if you are not very young and not very old your chances of surviving is approximately 100%.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by Moreoffaith(m): 1:48pm On Mar 04, 2020
Camry
Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by noxy1962(m): 1:48pm On Mar 04, 2020
_
Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 04, 2020
I don't even understand his story nor his fears. Looks more like an attention grabbing person..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by positivelord: 1:50pm On Mar 04, 2020
So the salary Trump donated is Audio or what??...I cant believe that is happening in US of all places..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by hojey4life: 1:50pm On Mar 04, 2020
Maybe nah dis Trump people invent d virus sef only God knows shaa.. undecided undecided undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by don4real18(m): 1:51pm On Mar 04, 2020
Hmm
Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by FlyoruB: 1:51pm On Mar 04, 2020
Heard it costs $3,000 to get tested for the virus in the u.s. Healthcare is too expensive in America. Best not to just fall sick.

11 Likes

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by youngbabaj(m): 1:51pm On Mar 04, 2020
Abeg I no wan beg money, , I just need a job around lekki ajah axis
Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by TRUSTEDGUY: 1:51pm On Mar 04, 2020
grin
Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by BlackfireX: 1:53pm On Mar 04, 2020
This 2020 came with alot of bad news.....
Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by Olujoe1(m): 1:53pm On Mar 04, 2020
I'm covered with the blood of Allah !!

2 Likes

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by SmartyPants(m): 1:54pm On Mar 04, 2020
"So. Who does qualify? Those who have been out of the country in the last 14 days, and those who have had contact with one of the few people who have been tested and come up positive. That’s it."

In times like this, it is necessary not to give in to potential mass hysteria.

1 Like

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by solmus: 1:54pm On Mar 04, 2020
undecided

Trump is a local man and myopic white supremacist just like Nigerian's Fulani supremacist, after cutting obamas ebola/desease prevention team due to what he termed wastefull spending, cutting mediacare (health insurance) and cutting Social seciurity only to up the military spending, tax cut for his elite friend, wall building budget, and his travel expense to play golf it is clear US are just as doomed as Nigeria.. he lies brazenly and his follower support it like a religion

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by PureGoldh(m): 1:54pm On Mar 04, 2020
Dx Coronavirus don dey popular pass Ebola
Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by Anneka101(f): 1:55pm On Mar 04, 2020
Corona this Corona that! Every topic on NL these days is about Corona.

It would come and pass.

The end of Corona is near.

1 Like

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by Keenmind2019(m): 1:55pm On Mar 04, 2020
Mateen1000:
May God Save Us From This Virus

26”inch Plasma LG Led TV for sale
Price: 35k
Pic

1 Like

Re: An American’s Experience Of Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus by wellmax(m): 1:56pm On Mar 04, 2020
Saner climes

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: FG Bans Production Of Codeine Based Syrups In Nigeria / Former Overweight Man 'Baba Mutu' Shares Photos To Show His Weight Loss. / Seun Omobo Emerges Chairperson Of The FIP-YPG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.