Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,995 members, 7,852,366 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:01 PM

Martial Art - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Martial Art (779 Views)

Reasons To Learn And Use Martial Arts / The Best Martial Arts Exercises For Seniors Age 55 And Older (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Martial Art by ololo12: 6:34am On Jun 16, 2020
This thread is for martial art enthusiast. Would be nice to link up, or share and exchange ideas with fellow martial art artist, or intending martial artist.

So a brief intro; I’ve been into martial art for a little over 1 year now. I study Krav Maga & Wing Chun Martial art.

It’s been a very nice experience and journey for me so far. And some day I’d love go to IP Man Chun Wing Chun academy in Hong Kong to train with the legendary Ip Chun. His the son of the legendary Ip man. His 93 years old of age. Hopefully, I get to see him before he departs this earth. It would also be nice to meet some of his student like the Grand Master Samuel Kwok. His got a Wing Chun Academy here in Cape Town.

I currently train at the Wing Chun South African academy. Our Sifu trained under Ip Man student in Hong Kong. Hopefully, someday I can bring Ip man style Kung Fu to Nigeria. I checked and can’t seem to find any Wing Chun academy in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Martial Art by meobizy(f): 11:07am On Jun 16, 2020
Join Year: 2007. Total Number Of Comments: 605.
Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 12:11pm On Jun 16, 2020
What’s your point??

meobizy:
Join Year: 2007. Total Number Of Comments: 605.
Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 12:13pm On Jun 16, 2020
Shouldn’t that tell you! That I’ve got an important life outside of Nairaland.

ololo12:
What’s your point??

Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 10:51am On Jun 17, 2020
Wing Chun fighting system consists of 3 open hands form, 2 weapons form and the wooden dummy! I would be elaborate more on the different form in due course.

1 Like

Re: Martial Art by HEAVEN4444: 1:01pm On Jun 20, 2020
ololo12:
Wing Chun fighting system consists of 3 open hands form, 2 weapons form and the wooden dummy! I would be elaborate more on the different form in due course.
brosits me Lekki1444. just letting you know they banned my ID till 25th june because i called that guy mumu. lol well i will use this one till then lowkey . trust all is well with you wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 1:09pm On Jun 20, 2020
Oh snap! If anyone deserves a ban. It’s that plonker. Anyways nothing spoil chief. I de by your side and full ground grin

HEAVEN4444:
brosits me Lekki1444. just letting you know they banned my ID till 25th june because i called that guy mumu. lol well i will use this one till then lowkey . trust all is well with you wink wink
Re: Martial Art by HEAVEN4444: 1:12pm On Jun 20, 2020
ololo12:
Oh snap! If anyone deserves a ban. It’s that plonker. Anyways nothing spoil chief. I de by your side and full ground grin

yeah these mods. some of them are emotional. but thats cool. we keep on trucking lol. I dey your side too my bro grin

2 Likes

Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 8:20am On Jun 23, 2020
I’ve tried uploading SIM LIM TAO video. But Nairaland wouldn’t let me na wa ooo!! How do I upload videos on here?
Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 8:23am On Jun 23, 2020
Wing Chun – Siu Nim Tao

Wing Chun Form – Siu Nim Tao

Siu Nim Tao (or “Little Idea”) is the first form taught in Wing Chun. This form is also known as Siu Lim Tao, Sil Lim Tao, etc. However, please be aware that the movements used in this form can vary between Wing Chun schools.

According to the Samuel Kwok Wing Chun Association, the benefits of learning Siu Nim Tao include “Strengthening the legs through the stance”, “Teaching the student the key techniques of Wing Chun”, “Teaching the student how to turn energy on and off” and “Helping the student understand key principles like economy of motion and the centreline”

For other forms, please visit the main Wing Chun Forms section. If you are looking for forms from other martial arts styles (i.e. the kata of Shotokan Karate), please visit Black Belt Wiki’s main Kata & Forms section.

Credit Samuel Kwok Wing Chun Association, Sil Lim Tao the first
Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 8:24am On Jun 23, 2020
@ Ishilove @ Mynd44
Front page material no?
Re: Martial Art by Exmilitant(m): 8:26am On Jun 23, 2020
Here PH city we prefer juju, guns, knives and axes. Never mind tai chi or karate.

1 Like

Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 8:37am On Jun 23, 2020
With Wing Chun you can enhance your knives or axes fighting skills. Like you can learn how to either counter or diffuse axe or knife attacks. That’s one aspect of it. Don’t even let me get started on the health aspect of Wing Chun martial art. The benefits are enormous.

Exmilitant:
Here PH city we prefer juju, guns, knives and axes. Never mind tai chi or karate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Martial Art by Nobody: 9:12am On Jun 23, 2020
Where are you based? I need to learn this stuff for self- defense. Although I box most times.
Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 6:33pm On Jun 23, 2020
I’m based in South Africa bro! Aren’t there martial art schools in Nigeria? Where are you based?

Ninejaywon:
Where are you based? I need to learn this stuff for self- defense. Although I box most times.
Re: Martial Art by Minxie(f): 6:55pm On Jun 23, 2020
I want to take some classes when I move back to SA in 2021. does this place have a website? What level do they start at and what are the packages and payment details?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Martial Art by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 23, 2020
ololo12:
I’m based in South Africa bro! Aren’t there martial art schools in Nigeria? Where are you based?

Not any that I know of. I thought you are in Nigeria. Okay
Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 4:22am On Jun 27, 2020
Yes, it does have a website. It depends on the kind of martial art you're interested in. Personally, I'd recommend Krav Maga for you. But you can choose between Krav Maga and Wing chun. I do both martial art style. Here's the website for both martial art styles
http://www.wtkungfu.co.za/
https://www.stormcombat.com/

Let me know what you think.

Minxie:
I want to take some classes when I move back to SA in 2021. does this place have a website? What level do they start at and what are the packages and payment details?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 4:41am On Jun 27, 2020
The second form
Chum Kiu or Seeking the Bridge
There are two main points in Chum Kiu: to avoid [attacks] by turning, and to be stable. I practiced the Lan Sau turning movement in Chum Kiu every day, all day for three months, but my father wouldn't teach me the next movement until I got it right. "You think three months is a long time?" he said, "I followed my master for three years!"
Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 4:44am On Jun 27, 2020
The Second Forms' Structure
Ip Chun Lan Sau from Chum Kiu The first section of Chum Kiu teaches how to use turning and techniques at the same time, for example the Bong Sau and Wu Sau are performed whist turning and shifting the body weight from one leg to the other. This is teaching the practitioner to use the hips to develop power or Yiu Ma as it's called in Cantonese. Yiu Ma and body movement in general, is not present in the first form. Chum Kiu is also teaching the practitioner about body positioning when using techniques like the Bong Sau which becomes considerably more effective when combined with turning.

The first section also introduces two way energy as seen when the Lan Sau arm Laps back and a straight punch is delivered. This enables the practitioner to deliver more devastating blows with relative ease as the Laping arm is enabling the transfer of power across the body as the force can flow as one motion without interruption, with the addition of pulling your opponent off balance, the target will also be moving into the punch and so additional damage will be caused. The key to doing this is to learn how to use all the muscles in your body in a short sequence ie. your hips and legs turn and start generating some power, which is then carried on my the shoulders and finally the arm. If you miss time this, you end up just striking with your arm and not using the power of your whole body. The only way to develop this skill is through practice. Chum Kiu is a vitally important way to practice synchronizing the body's movements to work as one unit.
Tip If you can't do the turning Lan Sau in the first section quickly and powerfully without loosing balance, you need to practice more. It should feel natural. If it doesn't get your sifu to help you do the movement until it feels natural and comfortable.

Samuel Kwok doing the Bong Sau in the Chum Kiu form The second and third sections introduces Wing Chun stepping, this, when combined with techniques, this enables the safe bridging of the gap between the practitioner and his/her opponent. Hence the form is called Chum Kiu or 'seeking the bridge'. It is with contact that the Wing Chun practitioner has his/her biggest advantage, this is, after all one of the areas Wing Chun specializes in and is a big part of why we do Chi Sau. Furthermore the second section of Chum Kiu is building on Sil Lim Tao by making the practitioner use both footwork and kicks with hand techniques such as blocks/covers.

Chum Kiu also introduces the Wing Chun practitioner to three different kicks, a lifting kick to block others kicks as done by Ip Chun, a front kick which can be aggressive or defensive as used by Ip Ching, and a turning kick which again can be used to stop the advance of an attacker or strike them if they try to get around the practitioner. The Wing Chun kicks like hand techniques are non committal and do not compromise the balance of the practitioner in any significant way. This is due to their speed and lack of height. Most kicks are delivered to targets below the waist, like the groin or knees.
Also throughout the practice of Chum Kiu the practitioner must use both hands at once. Although this is done in Sil Lim Tao, when both hands are used in the first form they perform the same action whereas in Chum Kiu they do different things, requiring a higher level of ability and concentration from the practitioner.

Therefore Chum Kiu builds on Sil Lim Tao.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Martial Art by Minxie(f): 9:22am On Jun 27, 2020
ololo12:
Yes, it does have a website. It depends on the kind of martial art you're interested in. Personally, I'd recommend Krav Maga for you. But you can choose between Krav Maga and Wing chun. I do both martial art style. Here's the website for both martial art styles

thank you smiley
Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 9:24am On Jun 27, 2020
Anything for you, my kind lady cheesy kiss
Minxie:

thank you smiley

1 Like

Re: Martial Art by ololo12: 9:25am On Jun 27, 2020
Someday, I hope to establish one in Akwa Ibom

Ninejaywon:

Not any that I know of. I thought you are in Nigeria. Okay

1 Like

Re: Martial Art by AlphaTaikun: 12:09pm On Feb 28, 2022
ololo12:

Very insightful thread. wink

(1) (Reply)

The Types Of Vegetables That You Need To Eat To Stay Healthy / I Have Been Seriously Battling With Halitosis For Long !!!!!! Help / Why New York Health Chief, Defender Of Cuomo Policies Is Resigning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.