Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,497 members, 7,816,184 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign (30174 Views)

Patrick Lumumba Picks Okonjo-iweala Over His Country’s Candidate For WTO Top Job / African Union Disqualifies Okonjo-iweala From Vying For WTO Director / APC Accused Of Hiring U.S PR Firm For $1.2M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by Islie: 7:31am On Jul 08, 2020
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria’s candidate for the World Trade Organisation director-general election, says she is in need of volunteers for her campaign.

In an interview with Arise TV, Okonjo-Iweala said some of her friends have been helping with media work pro-bono.

If elected, Okonjo-Iweala would be the first African to occupy the position.

“So far things are going well and I’m grateful for the support of the government and Nigerians. I don’t have any PR firm working for me. I have some friends who are helping with media work pro-bono because I cannot afford to pay them. It would be nice to have some volunteers,” she said.

Her nomination had triggered slight controversy as President Muhammadu Buhari approved her candidature as a replacement for Yonov Frederick Agah, WTO deputy director-general and Nigeria’s former candidate for the election.

Egypt and the AU’s office of legal counsel had opined that Okonjo-Iweala’s nomination violated the candidature guidelines provided by the AU.

However, the WTO told TheCable that the former World Bank managing director is eligible to run for the office.

The two-time minister of finance also described WTO’s acceptance of her nomination as a testament of the faulty premise on which opposition calls were made.

Okonjo-Iweala described herself as “the best woman for the job”, saying the WTO needs a fresh pair of eyes to take on its leadership.

She expressed gratitude to the federal government, the ministries of foreign affairs and trade, among others for their support.

The development economist described WTO as a critical global organisation that needs to be reformed in key areas like dispute resolution, adding that its effectiveness will be enhanced if it becomes more inclusive by supporting women, MSMEs, among others.

She has received the endorsement of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and seeks to get the support of the African Union (AU).

https://www.thecable.ng/i-cant-afford-a-pr-firm-okonjo-iweala-seeks-volunteers-for-wto-campaign

11 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by oz4real83(m): 7:36am On Jul 08, 2020
Another format embarassed. You all are not different from Hushpuppi. GEJ had no shoes, PMB couldn't afford the N25m APC's presidential form and had to take loan from the bank, this is somebody whose children were studying in expensive schools abroad. This is not a Nigerian election, it involves other countries whose citizens are not as gullible as most Nigerians. Madam NOI was the only minister that insisted that she MUST be paid in dollars during her time as minister under OBJ and GEJ. Madam NOI, please go and bring out money from where u have been hiding them and hire PR team(s), we are tired of financing the expensive lifestyles of yours, APC and PDP politicians.

322 Likes 22 Shares

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by ICHguy(m): 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2020
This is too much though

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by Onyi22(f): 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2020
Whats happening?

1 Like

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by Dzzorro32(f): 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2020
I will love to join for the exposure hope it's not time consuming

12 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by Wuuworld(m): 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2020
Ezigbo Nwa Ada Anyi, I ga enwe mmeri site na -ike chukwu...Iseee!!!

22 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by JosephXavier: 1:18pm On Jul 08, 2020
I want to volunteer ma

Contact me please but I will be paid in dollars

48 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by OLDESTWARRIBOY: 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2020
If you no get money, drop out nah wey person wey get for Egypt or Ethiopia come out.
Nigerian politicians Mata ehh. All the money wey she dey collect for the boards of four banks where dem dey??

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by techmo(m): 1:20pm On Jul 08, 2020
cool

Let Alison Madueke volunteer , Sambo Dasuki can join as well

9 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by snoopz: 1:20pm On Jul 08, 2020
I'm shocked

8 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by blowjohn(m): 1:20pm On Jul 08, 2020
But why do people lie like this?
Why are Africans or specifically nigerians like this?
This is too much o

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by airminem(f): 1:21pm On Jul 08, 2020
This could be like the former us vice President who couldnt afford a home after leaving office. Notwithrtanding AFDB president Femi adeshina did great and i doff my hat again.Ngozi dont worry, sponsors, partners, donors, citizens, civil society, media, traditional institutns, tech enabled channels will do that for us all.

2 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by Greenbuoy(m): 1:22pm On Jul 08, 2020
This one sef wan yahoo us!

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by lmm4real: 1:22pm On Jul 08, 2020
This madam is not a serious person. What happened to all the dollars, in salary and kind she collected during GEJ time. undecided

11 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by jubrilELsudan: 1:22pm On Jul 08, 2020
ALL NA FORMAT.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by teebaxy(m): 1:22pm On Jul 08, 2020
List my gains ma
Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 08, 2020
oz4real83:
Another format embarassed. You all are not different from Hushpuppi. GEJ had no shoes, PMB couldn't afford the N25m APC's presidential form and had to take loan from the bank, this is somebody whose children were studying in expensive schools abroad. This is not a Nigerian election, it involves other countries whose citizens are not as gullible as most Nigerians. Madam NOI was the only minister that insisted that she MUST be paid in dollars during her time as minister under OBJ and GEJ. Madam NOI, please go and bring out money from where u have been hiding them and hire PR team(s), we are tired of financing the expensive lifestyles of yours, APC and PDP politicians.

Lol! grin

5 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by EwuGambia: 1:23pm On Jul 08, 2020
Which kyn wahala be this.... undecided
Rich woman self dey fyn free workers... undecided

19 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by erico2k2(m): 1:23pm On Jul 08, 2020
oz4real83:
You seem to forget this person you are talking about is not a politician, rather an epitome of financial industries. What's wrong with her kids studying abroad? did you for once think she lived in Nigeria? her kids were born abroad b4 she even took up a position. If her CV is that corrupt as painted she would be nowhere near all these juicy positions she has attained on the world stage. Give praises to one who it's due and not politicise everything!

39 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by Lexusgs430: 1:23pm On Jul 08, 2020
Story story...... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by Focusmind: 1:24pm On Jul 08, 2020
don't worry, I will volunteer. I am trying to sign up. I hope I would be allowed to come and do internship in WTO.

I am looking for a way to sign in. That is the way it starts. Most politicians and leaders of multilateral agencies does that as well. They always have volunteers to campaign for them and at the end, there are some non monetary benefits like exposure, getting information regarding the agency and the candidate, getting to know the contestant very well and having the person as a mentor.

People may crticise it but it pays. I know one guy that was part of Atiku's media campaign online. He was able to meet Atiku one on one later. Finally, Atiku's name was included in one of his proposals as a referee and the contractor called him. The fact that he knew Atiku somehow made him relevant among other proposals

So campaigning for high-profile candidate is not bad at all but try and make yourself visible. All na part of networking.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by ERockson: 1:24pm On Jul 08, 2020
Bring out the dollars Ma or you want go FUND me thing. I hate hypocrite. If you don't have money who will have it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by yougrichy: 1:24pm On Jul 08, 2020
I hope she gets the appointment.She clearly deserves it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by uchelouis45(m): 1:25pm On Jul 08, 2020
E
Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by styless(f): 1:25pm On Jul 08, 2020
huh...

Ah Mama you can oo
Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by bigfish3k: 1:26pm On Jul 08, 2020
Ah
What of all the looted audio money APC propaganda machine accused you of

"Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor " so says the holy book
Thank God we are now wiser and have also developed a thick skin to their propaganda.
They are evil

3 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 08, 2020
Ride on ma.....The seat is yours to take

2 Likes

Re: 'I Can’t Afford A PR Firm’ — Okonjo-Iweala Seeks Volunteers For WTO Campaign by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 08, 2020
Ghh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obaseki: My Convoy Was Attacked In Oshiomhole’s Ward / List Of PDP Gubernatorial Candidates In 27 States / No More Strike - Tinubu Assures Varsity Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.