Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,557 members, 7,840,320 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

What Is Your Writing Process [7 Things You Can Take From Mine] - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Is Your Writing Process [7 Things You Can Take From Mine] (353 Views)

How The Ideal Reader Myth Hurts Your Writing Process / 5 Books To Sharpen Your Writing Skill In 2020 / Earn Extra With Your Writing Skills On Social Media. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is Your Writing Process [7 Things You Can Take From Mine] by IamHadeh: 8:58am On Mar 08, 2021
What Is Your Writing Process [7 Things You Can Take From Mine][b]

I am a fan of using the writing process that works.

I used to read interviews of my favourites authors, and when they talk about how they write, I become more attentive.

I want to know, and I want to be more practical and productive. (I know you want the same).

By listening and reading about their approach, I have learned to write more, better and even faster. It has saved me from losing a gig on Fiverr.

I use the approach I will share here for writing fiction.

You can use it for any kind of writing, but I use it solely for writing fiction.

Now that we are clear, let’s proceed.

[/b]Your Writing Process Is Yours.

Everyone has their approach. Let’s be honest, you have been writing, and you have been following a process.

It might be difficult, and it might be similar to your favourite author’s method. The only rule is that it should make writing less stressful.

I read that Ernest Hemingway would type while standing, which is kind of weird and helpful. (I guess you can’t be thinking of the self-loathing demons yelling at you that you are not good enough). But, no, I am not a fan of typing on my feet.

If you use what I will be sharing in this post, then good luck to you, but know these things.

I don’t follow the same process for every type of writing. I am likely to use this writing process 8 out of 10 times.
It might change tomorrow. So, by the end of the year, you might ask me, and I will tell you something entirely different. I keep improving the process to my needs.
This is specifically for my fiction writing process. And do not forget, I use it 8 out of 10 times.
Mine is more than the 5 steps of writing process. I use 7, 6 or 8 at times.

I feel relieved after letting that out. Sigh!

You might want to hear how I come about the process.

Come on.

[/b]The Day I Had to Create a Writing Process That works.[/b]

If I haven’t told you, I think I should make it clear; I am a ghostwriter. I now work on Fiverr and Upwork. (I will delete one of them soon).

Some busy authors or authors suffering from writer’s block would reach out to me. I will take their ideas, develop them into proposals and deliver on an agreed time.

I used to write using whatever writing process that works. I might start with the story, come back to the plot and then edit the character. Other times, I might start from the last to the first.

Then one day, I have an urgent deadline, and I wasn’t making progress at all.

The time is ticking on the app. My heart is beating badly. The story characters were protesting against the plot, and it seemed I would fail the deadline and asking for an extension was out of the question.

TLDR: I submitted, and it was accepted, and I even got 5-star reviews.

But I don’t want to be in that situation again.

So, I created a process and adjusted it for months.
I can assure you now.

I have a process that works FOR ME.
It makes my work easier and saves time.
I write up to 7k words per day and spend an hour interval playing or reading.
Let me explain.

[/b]The Writing Process[/b]

You are about to read how I start writing more and better. Feel free to use, adjust and tell me how it works.

Here is the process:

[/b]1. Start with a summary. [/b]
Write a one-line summary of the story.

The last one I remembered using is “On the first day of their meeting, Alex realises she is not her his type, and he politely tells her, but Tina takes it personally.”

It is quite vague. It doesn’t have the details such as who is Alex, where are they meeting? Why is she not his type? What, when, how?

Move to step two.

2. Characterise
I guess you should have a list of things you want to know about the characters. If you meet a stranger today, what will you need to understand them better?

I think your answers should revolve around these eight:

Physical appearance
Childhood
Occupation
Personality
Weakness
regrets/past
Family or lack of it (why)
Again, this is not all you need to create a great character. In fact, if I have leisure, I can write about character development for two to three blog posts. The list above is quick, and I created it for my writing process as a ghostwriter. Depending on the deadline, I will explore other details such as quirks and a diary session, where I try to interview the characters.

Ooops, topic for another day!

Once you nail the answers to the list, they are the bones; the flesh would appear in the next step.

[/b]3. Plot the story[/b]
Hey, wait.

You have to make the previous list for at least two of your lead characters, the antagonist and protagonist. If you have a bigger book, I suggest doing it for about six of the key characters.

Once you do that, write the plot.

My writing process for plotting is quite crazy, and I can’t share it with you.

Check the pictures below and use any one of the two. Note: I found them online and I think they are cool.

[/b]4. Leave everything for an hour.[/b]

This is important. You have to leave the plot and do something else. Allow the ideas to develop in your mind as you play chess or go swimming, or dance ballet.

Whatever — do something different for an hour or more.

[/b]5. Come back to the plot/character sketch[/b]

Reread what you have written, preferably on pen and paper and edit it. If it is in a word document, read on your phone this time instead of your pc.

Read it through another method. Do you find new ideas for certain areas? Add it.

Do you find something to fill the loopholes that exist? You should be able to fill them up now after an hour.

Fill them up.

Next, it is time to start writing.

[/b]6. Sketch your scene before writing[/b]

I learned about this idea from Rachel Aaron, the author of “2k to 10k words”.

Writing your story is like you are searching your brains for treasure. You are trying to figure out what happens in the next paragraph and the next. That’s hard and tiring.

Since you have the plot and you know the character, why not create a clearer scene for chapter one before you sit down and write.

Create a sketch of where the chapter would go. For my writing process and the sample summary I created earlier, I might make a list of things like

Alex and Tina meet at a restaurant.
Alex is nervous. He has arrived first.
Tina arrives and scans the place.
Alex finds her first. She looks different.
Alex flashes back to their chats. She never uses profile pic.
I hope you are getting the pattern here. You can see where you are going in that chapter, and you will arrive there quickly.

And if that’s not where you want to go, you adjust it before you start writing.

[/b]7. Write your story [/b]

Write your story to the end by repeating the last 2 steps. Write it easier and faster.

[/b]So, guys, these are the writing steps I am talking about. What do you think of it, and will you be using them? Let me know in the comments.

You can see a better version of this post, filled with images and graphic representations here:

hadehsblog.wordpress .com/2021/02/28/what-your-writing-process-7-things-you-can-take-from-mine/
Re: What Is Your Writing Process [7 Things You Can Take From Mine] by IamHadeh: 9:01am On Mar 08, 2021
Re: What Is Your Writing Process [7 Things You Can Take From Mine] by marticlinton: 4:56pm On Dec 09, 2023
My writing encompasses a versatile range, tailored to various purposes and audiences. Whether crafting engaging blog posts, insightful articles, persuasive marketing content, or academic papers, I prioritize clarity, depth, and relevance. I need help to write mba dissertation, I strive to captivate readers through compelling storytelling, backed by thorough research and a keen understanding of the subject matter. Adapting to diverse tones and styles, I aim to convey messages effectively while maintaining authenticity and precision. Each piece I create endeavors to inform, inspire, or entertain, fostering connections and leaving a lasting impact on the audience. With a commitment to quality and a passion for effective communication, my writing aims to resonate, evoke emotions, and drive meaningful engagement.

(1) (Reply)

Demilade Secretes / Proofreader And Editor For Hire / Osogbo Writers Conference Holds Tomorrow Saturday August 21

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.