Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,352 members, 7,839,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Camry Transmission Issue. Vehicle Wont Move In Drive. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Camry Transmission Issue. Vehicle Wont Move In Drive. (1149 Views)

Toyota Sienna Engage In Drive But Wont Move Reverse Works Great / Help! My Car Goes Off When I Put In Drive Or Reverse. / U250E CAMRY Transmission Needed In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Camry Transmission Issue. Vehicle Wont Move In Drive. by temmym4(m): 10:11pm On Mar 11, 2021
Good evening Nairalanders.
Please i have an issue with my camry 1998 gearbox. Firstly it started from not shifting from 1 to 2 in time except i take my leg off the throttle, then toight, i noticed d gear making some kind of sound as i was moving, (it sounds like a frog actually)

I slowed down, then i noticed the car wont move from that point, it sound like revving the car when put in Neutral.

Switched off the car and back on, the car engages and moves a little then slips off and start revving like it's in neutral position again.

I could percieve some hot oil smell when i parked.

I also noticed Transmission oil leaking from underneath which i bought a Litre and poured it in. But it just wont work. Vehicle moves a little and gear stops responding again.

Whats wrong? Is the Gear fried?
What can i do to savage this situation.
Please help.
Re: Camry Transmission Issue. Vehicle Wont Move In Drive. by Mayor555(m): 10:36pm On Mar 11, 2021
temmym4:
Good evening Nairalanders.
Please i have an issue with my camry 1998 gearbox. Firstly it started from not shifting from 1 to 2 in time except i take my leg off the throttle, then toight, i noticed d gear making some kind of sound as i was moving, (it sounds like a frog actually)

I slowed down, then i noticed the car wont move from that point, it sound like revving the car when put in Neutral.

Switched off the car and back on, the car engages and moves a little then slips off and start revving like it's in neutral position again.

I could percieve some hot oil smell when i parked.

I also noticed Transmission oil leaking from underneath which i bought a Litre and poured it in. But it just wont work. Vehicle moves a little and gear stops responding again.

Whats wrong? Is the Gear fried?
What can i do to savage this situation.
Please help.

Sorry about your challenge sir.

When did you add the 1 litre? Before it started slipping off or after?

Like when did you notice the leakage??
Re: Camry Transmission Issue. Vehicle Wont Move In Drive. by temmym4(m): 10:47pm On Mar 11, 2021
Mayor555:

Sorry about your challenge sir.

When did you add the 1 litre? Before it started slipping off or after?

Like when did you notice the leakage??

Thank you sir. I noticed the leakage about a week and some days, i have been checking my transmission dip stick/gauge from time to time, it looks perfectly fine

I added the ATF immediately i few minutes after the gear wont engage
Re: Camry Transmission Issue. Vehicle Wont Move In Drive. by Mayor555(m): 10:53pm On Mar 11, 2021
temmym4:

Thank you sir. I noticed the leakage about a week and some days, i have been checking my transmission dip stick/gauge from time to time, it looks perfectly fine

I added the ATF immediately i few minutes after the gear wont engage

After adding the oil, did the gear engage and moved/selected well before starting to slip off?

And what type of oil did you use?

Slipping off like that points to fried transmission Sha.
Re: Camry Transmission Issue. Vehicle Wont Move In Drive. by temmym4(m): 11:18pm On Mar 11, 2021
Mayor555:

After adding the oil, did the gear engage and moved/selected well before starting to slip off?

And what type of oil did you use?

Slipping off like that points to fried transmission Sha.

No. It only does the same way it has been doing before i poured it. (moves a little and then stops/slips off)

I added Holts ATF of 1L
Re: Camry Transmission Issue. Vehicle Wont Move In Drive. by Mayor555(m): 7:05am On Mar 12, 2021
temmym4:

No. It only does the same way it has been doing before i poured it. (moves a little and then stops/slips off)

I added Holts ATF of 1L

Is the oil giving burnt smell?
Re: Camry Transmission Issue. Vehicle Wont Move In Drive. by Chukwujohn(m): 9:35am On Mar 12, 2021
Dear op, has the issue been solved kindly contact me on 07026487133
Re: Camry Transmission Issue. Vehicle Wont Move In Drive. by temmym4(m): 3:58pm On Mar 12, 2021
Mayor555:

Is the oil giving burnt smell?

When it happened, yes it gave a smell like heated engine oil. And when i checked this morning, ATF actually changed colour which was slightly darker than usual.

I decided to take the car to a mechanic today and it just wont move, Drive or Reverse. None was working, so i had to push it somewhere and i brought my mechanic later in the day.

He unscrewed the pan at the bottom, drained the ATF which already changed to a dark kind of colour, cleaned the pan and the whole area. New ATF was poured in. Car started and it's been selecting well since then.
I am still testing though.

My question now is, the fact that my transmission oil changed colour with a possibly burnt oil (Not sure) will there be a negative effect on the gear internally?

Thanks for your response so far Sir, Am very grateful.
Re: Camry Transmission Issue. Vehicle Wont Move In Drive. by temmym4(m): 4:02pm On Mar 12, 2021
Chukwujohn:
Dear op, has the issue been solved kindly contact me on 07026487133

Thanks for the response sir, vehicle seems to still be running fine after ATM has been drained and pan washed.
Re: Camry Transmission Issue. Vehicle Wont Move In Drive. by Mayor555(m): 9:41pm On Mar 12, 2021
temmym4:

When it happened, yes it gave a smell like heated engine oil. And when i checked this morning, ATF actually changed colour which was slightly darker than usual.

I decided to take the car to a mechanic today and it just wont move, Drive or Reverse. None was working, so i had to push it somewhere and i brought my mechanic later in the day.

He unscrewed the pan at the bottom, drained the ATF which already changed to a dark kind of colour, cleaned the pan and the whole area. New ATF was poured in. Car started and it's been selecting well since then.
I am still testing though.

My question now is, the fact that my transmission oil changed colour with a possibly burnt oil (Not sure) will there be a negative effect on the gear internally?

Thanks for your response so far Sir, Am very grateful.

Wow, thank God.

If you've driven the car for some distance and the car got to it's operating temperature; and all is well with the selection, I believe you're fine.

It might just be a case of bad/flat oil....

So, just have faith.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Camry 05/06 High Idle / On To Go For Sale Or For Swap / Help! How Do I Fix Rough Idling On A Honda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.