Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) (2116 Views)

Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? / 20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by BinamRex: 1:56am On May 28, 2021
In English, orthography, and pronunciation are not always the same. A word can be spelt in one way but pronounced in a completely different way. Such words are said to be non-phonetic.

Some of you are going to find it hard to believe that you have been pronouncing certain words wrongly all your life, but it's ok. English is not your first language, so it's not entirely your fault, but the Nigerian educational system makes provision for the teaching of Oral English in elementary, secondary, and tertiary institutions, so what's your excuse for not knowing what you should know?

Some of you are going to disagree with my pronunciations, and it's ok, but make sure you carry out your research. Ask an authority in Oral English to guide you.

This problem isn't just peculiar to Nigerians but other Africans. ESL students also face the same problem, so this video will serve as a guide to not just Nigerians, but anyone who wants to improve their articulation of English words.

If after watching this video, you are sure that these are words you can already pronounce correctly, it means you have a native-like command of English. Congratulations!

Please, SUBSCRIBE to my channel, like this video, drop a comment. I'd also love to learn from you guys. And please, share this video. It might be helpful to others. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGDmkay605Q
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by YungMillionaire: 3:59am On May 28, 2021
Foolish Nigerians. U na carry colonial language for head like gala. For once make a youtube video about a real Nigerian language not the one that was forced on your ancestors and used to steal, rape and plunder your land.

1 Like

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by BinamRex: 4:16am On May 28, 2021
YungMillionaire:
Foolish Nigerians. U na carry colonial language for head like gala. For once make a youtube video about a real Nigerian language, not the one that was forced on your ancestors and used to steal, rape, and plunder your land.

English is our lingua franca and a global language. I have cousins working in the UK and the US because of their competence in English.

Chimamanda Adichie, Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, etc are renowned because of their works in English. They could have written their novels in Yoruba or Igbo, but they chose English. Do you know why? I bet your dumbass doesn't know why. Artists from anglophone countries are more famous than their counterparts from francophone, lusophone, or Arab countries. Do you know why?

Do you know why Nollywood is now the world's second-largest film industry? It's because of English. Black people from the Caribbean are learning about African culture from Nollywood movies. Black people in the diaspora made Nollywood popular. And it's all because they understood English.

I am from Gombe state and my tribe is cham. We are not more than 200k in my community. If I make a video about my language, who would want to learn it? Go and tell the government to stop using English. Go and tell pastors to stop preaching in English.

The fact that you chose to criticize my video using English shows how dumb you are. I won't let you make me feel I don't love my culture or language. Cow!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by Deasegun19(m): 5:14am On May 28, 2021
BinamRex:

English is our lingua franca and a global language. I have cousins working in the UK and the US because of their competence in English.

Chimamanda Adichie, Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, etc are renowned because of their works in English. They could have written their novels in Yoruba or Igbo, but they chose English. Do you know why? I bet your dumbass doesn't know why. Artists from anglophone countries are more famous than their counterparts from francophone, lusophone, or Arab countries. Do you know why?

Do you know why Nollywood is now the world's second-largest film industry? It's because of English. Black people from the Caribbean are learning about African culture from Nollywood movies. Black people in the diaspora made Nollywood popular. And it's all because they understood English.

I am from Gombe state and my tribe is cham. We are not more than 200k in my community. If I make a video about my language, who would want to learn it? Go and tell the government to stop using English. Go and tell pastors to stop preaching in English.

The fact that you chose to criticize my video using English shows how dumb you are. I won't let you make me feel I don't love my culture or language. Cow!

chai. lobatan. see finishing.

5 Likes

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by phemmyfour: 6:14am On May 28, 2021
Rubbish

Even the whole Britain doesn't have the same tongue.

2 Likes

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by ItooWorWor(m): 10:33am On May 28, 2021
BinamRex:

You don't have to attack him to make your point, because that was his own point of view same way yours is different. My is also different, we don't have to pronounce those words same way the Brittish or Americans pronounce theirs, our pronouncation of those words doesn't mean we are wrong or right.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by Nobody: 10:35am On May 28, 2021
BinamRex:

Haewo, see finishing you even did more than I was going to do.

1 Like

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by Nobody: 10:36am On May 28, 2021
ItooWorWor:

You don't have to attack him to make your point, because that was his own point of view same way yours is different. My is also different, we don't have to pronounce those words same way the Brittish or Americans pronounce theirs, our pronouncation of those words doesn't mean we are wrong or right.
You don't have to attack what? The slowpoke obviously insulted him so op decided to pay him in his own coin, even naptu2 and budatuum dey change am for people so why should op be different.

1 Like

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by Nobody: 10:38am On May 28, 2021
YungMillionaire:
Foolish Nigerians. U na carry colonial language for head like gala. For once make a youtube video about a real Nigerian language not the one that was forced on your ancestors and used to steal, rape and plunder your land.
If they tell you all to choose lingua franca from our local languages you all will wage a damned war because of it so please, leave our english in peace. Nigerian English has not yet been standardised so stop crying.

1 Like

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by ItooWorWor(m): 10:41am On May 28, 2021
SegFault:

You don't have to attack what? The slowpoke obviously insulted him so op decided to pay him in his own coin, even naptu2 and budatuum dey change am for people so why should op be different.
No he didn't attack the ops, he only said foolish Nigerians and I don't think the op foolish unless he considers himself one.

1 Like

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by Nobody: 10:45am On May 28, 2021
ItooWorWor:

No he didn't attack the ops, he only said foolish Nigerians and I don't think the op foolish unless he considers himself one.
It was an attack on the op simple Nd short. End of discussion.

1 Like

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by ItooWorWor(m): 10:49am On May 28, 2021
SegFault:

It was an attack on the op simple Nd short. End of discussion.
If you say so.
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by BinamRex: 11:01am On May 28, 2021
ItooWorWor:

If you studied oral English in school, you should be able to pronounce English words correctly. Nigerian newscasters and some Nollywood actors and actresses pronounce English words correctly. They didn't fall from the sky. They are Nigerians.

There are American missionaries in Jos. They didn't just learn how to speak Hausa and other local languages, they learnt how to pronounce the words correctly. Learning how to pronounce a word like a native speaker doesn't mean adopting the speaker's accent.

Frand Edoho of Who Wants to be a Millionaire pronounces English words correctly. Does he sound like a white man? You can pronounce English words correctly without sounding like a white person.

1 Like

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by ItooWorWor(m): 11:24am On May 28, 2021
BinamRex:

If you studied oral English in school, you should be able to pronounce English words correctly. Nigerian newscasters and some Hollywood actors and actresses pronounce English words correctly. They didn't fall from the sky. They are Nigerians.

There are American missionaries in Jos. They didn't just learn how to speak Hausa and other local languages, they learnt how to pronounce the words correctly. Learning how to pronounce a word like a native speaker doesn't meant adopting the speaker's accent.

Frand Edoho of Who Wants to be a Millionaire pronounces English words correctly. Does he sound like a white man? You can pronounce English words correctly without sounding like a white person.
Not everyone can pronounce the English words correctly, even those who went to school not to talk of those that didn't.

It's just have to do with individual practice and concentration, been taught oral English in school doesn't mean you will be perfect in English words pronouncation.
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by Tohsynetita1: 12:21pm On May 28, 2021
ItooWorWor:

Not everyone can pronounce the English words correctly, even those who went to school not to talk of those that didn't.

It's just have to do with individual practice and concentration, been taught oral English in school doesn't mean you will be perfect in English words pronouncation.
Oral were taught to pass, not to employ. You will hear teacher saying 'in your exam' during class . Is learning only for exam?
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by ItooWorWor(m): 12:26pm On May 28, 2021
Tohsynetita1:

Oral were taught to pass, not to employ. You will hear teacher saying 'in your exam' during class . Is learning only for exam?
You are right!

Learning is not only for exam but English is a very large course that has no end, even those who took it as a course still makes mistake.
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by BinamRex: 1:38pm On May 28, 2021
Tohsynetita1:

I beg to differ. When I was in secondary school, my classmates and I would mock our teacher whenever she tried to teach us oral English. We didn't do it in her presence though. We said English is not our mother's tongue.

My interest in oral English started after secondary. When I watched the news, the famous newscaster, Cyril Stober, and Mrs Kehinde (the host of Sunday newsline)would pronounce words differently than I did. I started regretting not taking oral English seriously in secondary school.

Nollywood actors and actresses like Pete Edochie, Ramsey Noah, Bimbo Akintola, Genevieve Nnaji, Bob Manuel, Joke Silva, Olu Jacobs, etc made me appreciate the need to pronounce English words correctly. These actors don't sound like white people, but they pronounce English words correctly.

We just didn't pay attention in class, but I'm sure that most of us were taught oral English. We weren't just taught to pass. We were actually taught to use it, but we felt it was needless.

1 Like

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by seanwilliam(m): 7:50pm On May 28, 2021
If I were you , YungMillionaire, I’ll jejely deactivate bro.. omo the guy finished u no be s.. I know your heart go Dey beat faster like that .. u one mess him , the guy gave you a correct lashing grin just pray this thread no reach front page oo grin. Na only God know how u go Dey feel now

Btw binamrex, u have a good point sha

1 Like

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by YungMillionaire: 8:08pm On May 28, 2021
seanwilliam:
If I were you , Yung--Millionaire, I’ll jejely deactivate bro.. omo the guy finished u no be s.. I know your heart go Dey beat faster like that .. u one mess him , the guy gave you a correct lashing grin just pray this thread no reach front page oo grin. Na only God know how u go Dey feel now Btw binamrex, u have a good point sha

grin grin grin you no well I swear. I should deactivate because of banter on a faceless forum? grin grin grin

Calm down joor. I did not respond because the guy's colonial brainwash is too far gone to be rescued.
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by seanwilliam(m): 8:13pm On May 28, 2021
YungMillionaire:

grin grin grin you no well I swear. I should deactivate because of banter on a faceless forum? grin grin grin

Calm down joor. I did not respond because the guy's colonial brainwash is too far gone to be rescued.

You’re definitely from the street bro. I thought u were going to be annoyed by my post lol ..

Na cruise jare

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by Casper21: 10:10pm On May 28, 2021
Nigerians need to understand that English is a foreign language and not a language of ours. I swear nobody no fit dare correct my English cos they will face a very big backlash. We carry English ontop head still we never achieve anything. See Asian countries wey no dey speak English dey beat America in technologies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by BinamRex: 11:21pm On May 28, 2021
Casper21:
Nigerians need to understand that English is a foreign language and not a language of ours. I swear nobody no fit dare correct my English cos they will face a very big backlash. We carry English on the top head still we never achieve anything. See Asian countries wey no dey speak English dey beat America in technologies.

Ignorance is expensive. Asia is the biggest market for English teachers. In a few years from now, it is estimated that the people who speak fluent English in China will exceed the population of the United States. The craze for English in Asian countries is not something I can make you understand. Just do a google search.

Asian countries like Japan, China, South Korea, Taiwan, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc have English as a compulsory subject in their schools. And to teach English in these countries, one needs to have a degree and a TEFL certification. Thousands of Africans, including Nigerians, are teaching English in Asian countries.

Do you even know that some universities in China and non-English speaking countries like China, Poland, Ukraine, Poland, Japan, Hungary, etc offer degree courses that students are taught entirely in English? What does this tell you about the importance of other advanced countries but in the English language?

Do you know that companies in non-English speaking countries are adopting English as their official language? Japanese cosmetics giant, Shiseido, has adopted English as an in-house language. The company said internal documents will be written and meetings will be conducted in English for its roughly 2,500 employees in Japan.

Japanese, e-commerce giant Rakuten, introduced an English-only policy in 2010.

Japanese carmaker, Honda, made English its official language in 2020.

I am not making this up. These are information you can verify. Google "Teaching English in Asian countries" and you'll be amazed.

Parents in Asian countries believe that their kid's proficiency in English will give them an edge in life. That's why English centers are springing up in so many Asian countries.

Your comment shows that you know next-to-nothing about how rapidly the world is changing. Check out the "English Proficiency Index" on google and you'll see that citizens of non-English speaking countries like Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Singapore, etc speak better English than Nigerians where English is a de facto language. Your post reeks of ignorance. Educate yourself about the world.
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by Casper21: 12:40am On May 29, 2021
BinamRex:

Ignorance is expensive. Asia is the biggest market for English teachers. In a few years from now, it is estimated that the people who speak fluent English in China will exceed the population of the United States. The craze for English in Asian countries is not something I can make you understand. Just do a google search.

Asian countries like Japan, China, South Korea, Taiwan, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc have English as a compulsory subject in their schools. And to teach English in these countries, one needs to have a degree and a TEFL certification. Thousands of Africans, including Nigerians, are teaching English in Asian countries.

Do you even know that some universities in China and non-English speaking countries like China, Poland, Ukraine, Poland, Japan, Hungary, etc offer degree courses that students are taught entirely in English? What does this tell you about the importance of other advanced countries but in the English language?

Do you know that companies in non-English speaking countries are adopting English as their official language? Japanese cosmetics giant, Shiseido, has adopted English as an in-house language. The company said internal documents will be written and meetings will be conducted in English for its roughly 2,500 employees in Japan.

Japanese, e-commerce giant Rakuten, introduced an English-only policy in 2010.

Japanese carmaker, Honda, made English its official language in 2020.

I am not making this up. These are information you can verify. Google "Teaching English in Asian countries" and you'll be amazed.

Parents in Asian countries believe that their kid's proficiency in English will give them an edge in life. That's why English centers are springing up in so many Asian countries.

Your comment shows that you know next-to-nothing about how rapidly the world is changing. Check out the "English Proficiency Index" on google and you'll see that citizens of non-English speaking countries like Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Singapore, etc speak better English than Nigerians where English is a de facto language. Your post reeks of ignorance. Educate yourself about the world.

Will u get paid for this ur long writeup? Ode
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by BinamRex: 5:31am On May 29, 2021
Casper21:

Will u get paid for this ur long writeup? Ode

It's "write-up", the word is hyphenated. No, I won't get paid, but I am glad I educated you. Who is the ode? The one who doesn't know that the world is a global village and things are changing pretty fast, or the one who is knowledgeable about the world?
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by edoairways: 11:01am On May 29, 2021
YungMillionaire:
Ironically you express yourself in colonial language

1 Like

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by YungMillionaire: 2:30pm On May 29, 2021
edoairways:
Ironically you express yourself in colonial language

Expressing yourself in English is not the same as carrying it on your head like gala. tongue
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by edoairways: 2:35pm On May 29, 2021
YungMillionaire:

Expressing yourself in English is not the same as carrying it on your head like gala. tongue
It is the same thing.

1 Like

Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by YungMillionaire: 2:39pm On May 29, 2021
edoairways:
It is the same thing.

Last response to you: No, it is not. If it makes you sleep better at night then you can think so. tongue
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by budaatum: 11:33pm On Jul 03, 2021
ItooWorWor:

No he didn't attack the ops, he only said foolish Nigerians and I don't think the op is foolish unless he considers himself one.
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by Hahjascho(m): 4:26pm On Jul 05, 2021
Mehn, I can't stop laughing with all of the funny comments here. grin

Well, the post is educative. However, I'm more interested in how the problems of mixed English pronunciation can be solved.

By that, I mean how the combination of British and American English constantly being spoken in Nigeria can be solved.

This is even more than getting a word pronounced correctly as it affects most of the newscasters and proven English speakers.

@BimamRex
Re: 30 English Words A Lot Of Nigerians Mispronounce (Video) by IamAuntyOnion(f): 5:03pm On Jul 05, 2021
Ordio ... Audio

(1) (Reply)

The Speech That Made Peter Obi Popular In The U.S / Will There Be A Second Batch Admission List At Yabatech / 2010 Neco Online Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.