Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,727 members, 7,847,930 topics. Date: Sunday, 02 June 2024 at 11:39 AM

Footballers : Your Lives Matter Too - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Footballers : Your Lives Matter Too (211 Views)

The Sad Lives Of Freelancers In Nigeria / Fundgram Empowering Lives / Police Academy Students From Kaduna Lost Their Lives In Ghastly Motor Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Footballers : Your Lives Matter Too by ngmoses17(m): 2:22pm On Jul 02, 2021
�Emmanuel Moses

"Footballers are like women trying to get a man to marry - the older they get, the harder it is finding a good club."

While growing up, I loved football and the game of soccer like a monkey loves banana. I always think of how successful I would be in this career if I dedicate my whole to it. At every slight chance I had , I played football. Anytime I was sent on an errand and I see where they're playing football, I'll stop by and join them - forgetting I was sent something.

After closing hours , during my secondary school days, my friends and I would arrange a venue where we fondly call 'Emirates Stadium' - to play football while our colleagues were either in school doing extra lessons or at home helping with domestic chores and doing their assignments.

One day after wasting several hours playing football while I was sent an errand - I was lost and had to lie that I was kidnapped by "unknown gunmen" just because I was playing football.

Our landlord seized all our balls till he got tired of us because we don't allow him observe siesta at noon. Even with deep cuts on my leg, I still play football without receiving a single penny.

Then I was dealt a big blow. I have an uncle who is very much into grassroot football and who could have easily handpicked me and drop me in one academy or club like that. I went to Abuja to live with him, I was so happy that at least my football career will take a whole new turn. I trained on few occasions with his team in Bako, Kwali Area Council, Abuja - thinking I could convince him - but to my greatest surprise he said - "My friend, go to school, leave football." This statement was so demoralizing that I actually gave up 'a little.'
"If this man that I thought would be my helper is telling me to go to school then, it is finished - I concluded."

Then, I got my first admission into higher institution (WOLEX POLYTECHNIC). The soccer demon in me resurrected again. I joined the school team and was immediately instated because of my unmatchable impact in the team. I would leave my house by 6AM - jog to school and still train with the school team till it's 7:45AM before starting lectures by 8AM. Anytime I get to the lecture room, I began to sleep - although the department I was was not where I loved to be (ACCOUNTANCY). In fact, the 2.50 GP I had at the end of my first and final year in WOLEX POLY was through football. My coach who is also a lecturer would take me round other lecturers to solicit on my behalf for good marks when marking my script.

I left WOLEX and joined INTERLINK POLYTECHNIC. There, I got my dream course and department - MASS COMMUNICATION. Feeling excited , because I have everything I wanted then - football and Mass Comm. During Rector's cup at Interlink Poly, I'm the most deafened person in the school, there's nothing you would preach to me that will get into my body or soul because I will be so focused on the competition. Any lecturer except the HOD that fixes class during our training will be termed an enemy of success and we would do everything possible to frustrate his/her class. Mr. Balogun, Miss Tomi, Mr Jagbalo... ahh! I would miss classes upon classes just because I'm playing football. Thank goodness for my female colleagues then, they tried to clean up my messes. The sheer determination and passion for football paid off a little - my department won the Rector's cup twice during my four years at college.

But I'm grateful that as a person, I didn't force myself to play football while abandoning other important aspects of my life. I wasn't so ignorant that I shunned school or knowledge because I was playing football. I thank goodness that while yearning for a blistering football career , I was still going to school to gain knowledge. I was fortunate to be sent to school and graduated though.

Though I'm still into football as an administrator but I'm quite satisfied I'm not active.

I feel for footballers, particularly in this continent - every single day. These people pass through a lot. They pass through things that are not printable. Footballers are like women trying to get a man to marry - the older they get, the harder it is finding a good club. I will not go into full details what they pass through because everyone has different experience but these people deserve more than what they get in reward for their passion.

Footballers sacrifice their education, money, inheritance, food, destiny, happiness, love life, just because of football. More reason why most Nigerian footballers, can't put simple sentences together. They've sacrificed every single thing in them to football.

That's why I'm appealing to all our young footballers not to allow football stop them from gaining relevant knowledge and skills that will feed them when football is not. Don't be so carried away that you turn deaf ears to everything around you even when you see someone that's willing to help you in other things. Football will come and go but it's what you have left after football has left you that will stay with you forever. Don't trade your future because of what is not worth it. You know yourself that time is going and you haven't done anything meaningful with your life. Yes, you know. If you lie to the world, you can never lie to yourself.

Brace up! Chin up! Buckle Up! Do something meaningful while you're still playing football. Be alert to things happening around you. There are skills you can learn that will not hinder you from playing football. Don't be ignorant. Football is interesting but it must be backed up.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Becoming A Google Employee And Earning From Youtube / Withdrawal Of Pension Money While Still In Job Before 50years / A Content Writer Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.