Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt (18165 Views)

BUA Founder, Abdul Samad Rabiu Donates ₦200 Million To Sokoto University / UNN Students Thrown Out Of The Hostel In Enugu (pics) / Bishop Oyedepo: My Adopted Son Was Also Thrown Out Of Covenant University. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Kwanza: 5:38am On Aug 01, 2021
THE Eko Electricity Distribution Company (EKEDC) has thrown the University of Lagos (UNILAG) Akoka, Yaba, Lagos into darkness over unpaid debt of about N200 million it billed the university for electricity consumption.

The university authorities, however, told Sunday Tribune that the institution has dutifully never failed to settle its electricity bill on a monthly basis, claiming it has paid up to June 2021. According to the authorities, the university, which has now resorted to generators to power some areas, rationing the supply between the administrative area and staff quarters, has paid a total of N1.123 billion in electricity tariff to EKEDC in the last 17 months from January last year.

Confirming this development to Sunday Tribune in an interview, the university’s spokesperson, Mrs Nonye Oguama, lamented that the electricity bill being served each month on the university by EKEDC, keeps rising each day.

She said the university could not just cope meeting up with the exorbitant monthly bill because of its other financial obligations as a social service and not commercial purpose institution. She argued that EKEDC ought to have factored in this position in billing the university, declaring that she could not categorically say for now when the university would be able to resolve the matter as there is no money.

Also speaking with Sunday Tribune, vice chancellor of the university, Prof Oluwatoyin Ogundipe, confirmed that the university from January 2020 to June 2021 had paid N1.123 billion in electricity tariff. Ogundipe said the whopping sum, which could not be disconnected from the high electricity tariff in the country and estimated billings, was paid from the institution’s internally generated revenues on a monthly basis, adding that it was draining the purse of the university.

Giving a breakdown of electricity bill paid by the university in the last 17 months, Professor Ogundipe said the “N51 million was paid in January 2020; N50 million in February: N58 million in March and N62 million in April,” of same year.

The amount, he said, dropped to N26 million in May 2020 during the general lock-down due to COVID-19 pandemic and further dropped to N21 million in June, but went up to N24 million in July; N25 million in August and N26 million in September.

“So, in October, when activities started coming up again, we had N56 million bill and it dropped again in November to N29 million before it skyrocketed to N81 million in December when the electricity tariff was increased generally in the country by the power distribution company.

“Since then, [EKEDC] has been bringing huge bill every month; N84 million in January; N79 million in February and it rose to N85 million in March when our students started coming back to hostels; N88 million in April and jumped up to as high as N181 million in May and came down again to N118 million in June,” he said.

“So, in the period covering 17 months, we paid a sum of N1.123 billion on electricity and the amount is just too high for the university to cope with,” Ogundipe stressed, adding that the bills are just too high for the university to maintain.

“Even companies that are making profit cannot find it easy to be coughing up such a huge amount of money for electricity every month”

https://tribuneonlineng.com/unilag-thrown-into-darkness-over-n200m-electricity-debt/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Bola146(f): 5:39am On Aug 01, 2021
What is really good about this Nigeria?

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Hezzyluv: 5:41am On Aug 01, 2021
200million gaba daya? undecided

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by inoki247: 5:45am On Aug 01, 2021
lol Na Unilag dey owe 200milion nd me wey dey owe 280k on my NEPA bill dey will carry dere mumu ladder come my house and be disturbing the peace of my Wire....

Buh I don't understand as Unilag big reach dey can't generate dere own electricity wat ar dey now teaching the students all this school's needs to be productive.....

128 Likes 9 Shares

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Kennitrust(m): 5:50am On Aug 01, 2021
This news is not sweet at this early hours of the day

I pray, anything that will bring darkness in our way this new month, will automatically be consume by favor and grace from God... Amen

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by tunapawizzy: 5:51am On Aug 01, 2021
University that claims to be training scientists that will advance science should at least be able to depend on solar or waste to energy sources....the only thing Nigerian Universities know is to be buying official cars upandan.

107 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Kabir5643(m): 5:51am On Aug 01, 2021
Thank God say we don go house. This school is a very useless school. E dey pain me sha say I no write jamb this year. How can we be in one class for like two years. Lasu wey dey Lagos sef no dey do like this

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Dagger111(m): 5:52am On Aug 01, 2021
They will pay.
Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Graplly: 5:52am On Aug 01, 2021
shocked
Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by 201prounique: 5:52am On Aug 01, 2021
Nawa o

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by kenbee(f): 5:54am On Aug 01, 2021
Nigeria is also in darkness over one Grandpa's style of leadership.
This is nolonger a news !

4 Likes

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by evansjeff(m): 5:55am On Aug 01, 2021

Well...In other news

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by konkonbilo(m): 5:55am On Aug 01, 2021
angry unilag should be generating their own electricity instead of paying for it every month.

18 Likes

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Nobody: 5:55am On Aug 01, 2021
This is madness
School no fit pay electricity bills?

Shey na government work be that too

Note 10 pro for sale

6-128gb

Check my siggy
Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Unsad(m): 5:55am On Aug 01, 2021
The news these days are heart breaking.
Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by FatimaAbubakar(f): 5:57am On Aug 01, 2021
What a useless country!

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by merits(m): 5:58am On Aug 01, 2021
grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Moferere: 5:58am On Aug 01, 2021
A 21st century university so properly called
Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by tunapawizzy: 5:59am On Aug 01, 2021
Education is expensive and u have to pay(or someone pay for u at least) to get a quality one....schoo wey dey owe PHCN, dem go dey owe internet service provider too na, how student wan take do effective research.... for those always abusing private uni people, this is d standard 50thousand per session gets you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by akanbiaa(m): 5:59am On Aug 01, 2021
Solution is for the electricity company to provide adequate prepaid billing for the university.

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Staphylococcus: 6:00am On Aug 01, 2021
Move in right direction.

And dont why a school like UNILAG cannot afford electricity bills

They should be sued and made to pay for damages caused by excessive credit accumulation and delay.

And school will still be boasting of churning out the best substandard graduates in the country, when it cannot even pay utility bills.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Phato929: 6:01am On Aug 01, 2021
Na wao. But why all this hike in price. God bless my country Nigeria

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Nobody: 6:04am On Aug 01, 2021
This is a Federal University. Can't they research alternative methods of powering their campuses? Research no be by mouth. These days, universities find modern solutions to problems.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by captainamiedi1: 6:04am On Aug 01, 2021
University that claim to train people and solve the problem of the society can't solve it's problem. What happen to other means of power generation? They will be quick to tell u how federal government don't support research or govt don't put any money into education. But the last ASUU strike. The money that was given to them for university development, can they give account of it?? What about the one generated by the school?? E.g school fees, admissions forms, course registration etc. They can't give account of it.

It's okay to blame Buhari for everything but the position you are, you are doing worse than Bubu. But yeah FG is bad. Like say na ghost they work with FG

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by mastertek: 6:04am On Aug 01, 2021
What's wrong with generating own electricity, using abundance gas we have in this country.

Still don't know why Nigerian didn't use gas generator
Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by anambraamaka: 6:05am On Aug 01, 2021
That's crazy
Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by tunapawizzy: 6:06am On Aug 01, 2021
konkonbilo:
angry unilag should be generating their own electricity instead of paying for it every month.
The first thing that came to my mind...the people working in power generating companies are supposed to be products of universities, why can't the teachers that taught them generate electricity for the university

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by akanbiaa(m): 6:10am On Aug 01, 2021
tunapawizzy:

The first thing that came to my mind...the people working in power generating companies are supposed to be products of universities, why can't the teachers that taught them generate electricity for the university
Most of them only concentrate on how to create fictitious and outrageous estimated billing and divert part of payment to themselves that will make them multimillionaires over might.

4 Likes

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by PrinceGallant: 6:10am On Aug 01, 2021
May Allaah come to our aid in this country

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by MEGA4BILLION(m): 6:10am On Aug 01, 2021
If the can't generate power from alternative sources, they should at least make use of prepared meter rather than complaining
Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by MeghaneMorgane(f): 6:13am On Aug 01, 2021
Every Lagosian is affected by this high rise in electricity bill. We now ration light at home. We don’t use the Air-conditioner except we are running on generators because using the air-cons when running on nepa means you should get ready for high billing.

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Thrown Into Darkness Over ₦200 Million Electricity Debt by Nobody: 6:16am On Aug 01, 2021
I thought they said they now generate electricity through renewable energy and all.

So it's all audio BS.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bayero University, Kano Admission List / 24-year-old Kebbi Poly Student Electrocuted In Hostel / ASUU Talks Tough Ahead Of Friday Meeting With INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.