Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,614 members, 7,847,563 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 08:59 PM

Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. (561 Views)

Jorginho wins 2020/21 UEFA Player of the Year award / Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards / Dates Revealed For Summer 2019 Transfer Window (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by oluwaseyi02(m): 3:53pm On Aug 19, 2021
UEFA has today announced the names of the nominees shortlisted for the 2020/21 UEFA Men’s and Women’s Player of the Year Awards. The award winners will be announced at the 2021/22 UEFA Champions League group stage draw ceremony, which will take place on Thursday 26 August at the Haliç Congress Center in Istanbul, Turkey.

On the same occasion, UEFA will also honour the coaches who have had the biggest impact over the previous season with the UEFA Men’s Coach of the Year and UEFA Women’s Coach of the Year Awards.

UEFA Men’s Player of the Year
For the men’s player award, the shortlist of three players was selected by a jury composed of 24 coaches of the national teams which participated in this summer’s UEFA EURO 2020, together with 80 coaches of the clubs which played in the group stages of the 2020/21 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League. Fifty-five journalists from each of UEFA’s 55 member associations, selected by the European Sports Media (ESM) group, were also part of the jury.

The coaches and journalists were requested to select a shortlist of three players by allocating respectively five points, three points and one point to each of them. The final result was based on the total number of votes cast by the coaches and the journalists. The coaches were not allowed to vote for players from their own team.

The three players who received the most points overall following the conclusion of the voting, in alphabetical order, are:

Kevin DE BRUYNE (Belgium – Manchester City FC)

JORGINHO (Italy – Chelsea FC)

N’Golo KANTÉ (France – Chelsea FC)

UEFA Men’s Coach of the Year

For the men’s coach award, the shortlist of three coaches was selected by a jury composed of 24 coaches of the national teams which participated in the recent UEFA EURO 2020, together with 80 coaches of the clubs which played in the group stages of the 2020/21 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League. Fifty-five journalists from each of UEFA’s 55 member associations, selected by the European Sports Media (ESM) group, were also part of the jury.

The coaches and journalists were requested to select a shortlist of three coaches by allocating respectively five points, three points and one point to each of them. The final result was based on the total number of votes cast by the coaches and the journalists. The coaches were not allowed to vote for themselves.

The three coaches who received the most

Josep GUARDIOLA (Spain – Manchester City FC)

Roberto MANCINI (Italy – Italian men’s national team)

Thomas TUCHEL (Germany – Chelsea FC)

Cc
Seun
Ishilove
Lalasticlala

Source:
All football

Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by paulolee(m): 4:07pm On Aug 19, 2021
my mind goes with kante BT my head is saying Jorginho...it depends on the criteria they are judging because UCL is a key determinant BT euros is a factor too..
Jorginho may win it because he won both but if its based on individual performances, it should go to kante..
that Chelsea family matter and not my business as long as d prestigious ballon d or award is specially preserved for my GOAT..
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by fergie001: 4:16pm On Aug 19, 2021
paulolee:
my mind goes with kante BT my head is saying Jorginho...it depends on the criteria they are judging because UCL is a key determinant BT euros is a factor too..
Jorginho may win it because he won both but if its based on individual performances, it should go to kante..
that Chelsea family matter and not my business as long as d prestigious ballon d or award is specially preserved for my GOAT..
So you now believe me when I said leave the Ballon d'Or for the Europeans......Where is Messi?

Ojeemah DoggOneDogg somtochukwu95
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by Abfinest007(m): 4:17pm On Aug 19, 2021
We know already who gonna win it
Like for kante share for jorgiho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by paulolee(m): 4:19pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

So you now believe me when I said leave the Ballon d'Or for the Europeans......Where is Messi?

my gee no de fall hands now...this is the European best n not the main ballon d or dt would be presented this December
According to UEFA, the award "recognise[s] the best player,
irrespective of his nationality, playing for a football club within the
territory of a UEFA member association during the previous
season."..
BT still I see dis award as a reward for being d best player in the UCL only...
uefa best player of they year isn't the same with ballon d or award n DTS d main deal..
lewa, iniesta, ribery n even vvd all won this but never won d ballon d or..
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by RevolverOcelot(m): 4:22pm On Aug 19, 2021
Kante is gonna win it.
Tuchel also
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by fergie001: 4:25pm On Aug 19, 2021
paulolee:

my gee no de fall hands now...this is European best n not the main ballon d or dt would be presented on December
You earlier told me....Messi will clear everything, ngwanu.
E go still clear for your eye....dey shift goal post....S'ebi na here we dey.
grin grin

4 Lionel Messi (Barcelona, now at Paris & Argentina) – 148 points
5 Robert Lewandowski (Bayern & Poland) – 140 points
6 Gianluigi Donnarumma (AC Milan, now at Paris & Italy) – 49 points
7 Kylian Mbappé (Paris & France) – 31 points
8 Raheem Sterling (Man. City & England) – 18 points
9 Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus & Portugal) – 16 points
10 Erling Haaland (Dortmund & Norway) – 15 points
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by Abfinest007(m): 4:26pm On Aug 19, 2021
De bruyne shouldn't be on this list what did he acheive last season, nothing even penaldes was active than him

2 Likes

Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by Broveens42(m): 4:29pm On Aug 19, 2021
RevolverOcelot:
Kante is gonna win it.
Tuchel also

I don't think so unless for rare individual performances against maldrid, and mancity in ucl final.

But when you talk of game per minutes. Jorginho put in more hours.
Was rarely subbed in the UCL and Euros.
Formed great partnership with kovacic in the epl(in the absence of injured kante)
Won the uefa supercup playing 120 minutes, more than kante.

1 Like

Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by paulolee(m): 4:29pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

grin grin
I never said dt....so bcoz messi won copa, him go also win UCL best were we all knew kante was superb...
messi no follow play euros unlike cr7 wey dey 9th n u still de jonze..
my words were dt messi would win d real ballon d or this December and all this names go jus come watch..
this is just like UCL best na n it started 2011 wen uefa n FIFA splitted from their previous collaboration..
ribery won this award n cr7 won the ballon d or after Bayern won UCL
vvd did same n messi won d ballon d or after Liverpool won UCL..
and even lewi won this last season BT still haven't won d ballon d or bcoz it was scraped due to covid
the award jus looks like a compensation to some players dt had a good ucl performance n may not win the balloon d or
and its a good one, because it would be difficult for stars like kante, Jorginho or kdb to win ballon d or
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by fergie001: 4:43pm On Aug 19, 2021
paulolee:

my gee no de fall hands now...this is European best n not the main ballon d or dt would be presented on December
This is a precursor bro.......
The best player in European Competition...be it UCL or UEL or EURO...not of European descent.

This is mainly for "only the best player in UCL or any oda European competition" and not a general award..
players like vvd, Robery, iniesta, all won this award but didnt win d ballon d or letta dt same year..
So Messi finished outside the top 3 and you still believe he will win in Dec?
Even those ones you mentioned, did it happen that way?

a player not in any European league or country can win the ballon d or if he have a wonderful performance BT CNT win this wan because is meant for European league players only....
Which player outside Europe has won the Ballon d'Or?....I want to learn.

this started in 2011, cr7 have won more with 3 of it and even lewi won dis award last season BT didnt win d ballon d or because it was scraped last year due to covid..
my opinion
These ones you mentioned were amongst the top three...weren't they?
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by fergie001: 4:46pm On Aug 19, 2021
paulolee:

I never said dt....how messi wey remove from knockout wan take win UCL best were kante, de bruyne n even Jorginho dey?
messi no even reach semi n messi no even play euros unlike cr7 o
my words were dt messi would win d real ballon d or this December and all this names go jus come watch..
this is UCL best na...messi won it only 2 times, cr7 won d most with 3, d award started 2011 n not even mentioned wen talking about d real balloon d or dt messi is about winning his 7th...na very simple stuff na
Not just UCL....Even league competitions... grin grin

I tip Jorginho though.....
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by paulolee(m): 4:56pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

This is a precursor bro.......
The best player in European Competition...be it UCL or UEL or EURO...not of European descent.

So Messi finished outside the top 3 and you still believe he will win in Dec?
Even those ones you mentioned, did it happen that way?

Which player outside Europe has won the Ballon d'Or?....I want to learn.

These ones you mentioned were amongst the top three...weren't they?

1...VVD won this award because barca had a bad previous ucl season dt Liverpool disgraced us BT messi still won d ballon d or dt season even wen Liverpool won d UCL
2..we all know ballon d or started giving out d award to non European players since 1995 n I'll edit dt..
3..messi do not deserve to be in dt top 3 because barca was disgraced by PSG this season, barca didnt make d semis in ucl n besides messi didnt play in euros but messi individual performance was d best last season n winning d copa for agentina after many years is a big factor..
my point is dt, this award is mainly determined by a good UCL or euros n its only the best players in UCL dt do win it..
DTS why d likes of iniesta, Ribery, vvd n even Lewandowski all won dis award because of their good UCL bt none won d ballon d or..
let me ask u....ur cr7 played in UCL n even played in euros n ended up winning the golden ball.....wat is he doing in 9th position??
messi is just 4th n above the others with just club performance n it teaches u nothing??
I jus de laugh ur bad belleism...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by RevolverOcelot(m): 5:14pm On Aug 19, 2021
Broveens42:

I don't think so unless for rare individual performances against maldrid, and mancity in ucl final.

But when you talk of game per minutes. Jorginho put in more hours.
Was rarely subbed in the UCL and Euros.
Formed great partnership with kovacic in the epl(in the absence of injured kante)
Won the uefa supercup playing 120 minutes, more than kante.

Well when u look at it like that it may be Jorgi. It will sha be Blues all through
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by fergie001: 5:26pm On Aug 19, 2021
paulolee:

1..messi wasnt even nominated for this award the year VVD won it because barca had a bad previous season BT still came bk to win d ballon d or..
You are contradicting yourself.

VVD won (2019)....Messi placed 2nd (Barcelona won la liga in 2018-2019) and Ronaldo 3rd.
Lewy won the 2020 & Messi wasn't among the top 3..
There was no Ballon d'Or award in 2020......
So how did Messi come back to win it? I don't understand.

2..we all know ballon d or started giving out d award to non European players since 1995 n I'll edit dt..
Ok
3..messi do not deserve to be in dt top 3 because barca was disgraced by PSG, barca didnt make d top4 n besides messi didnt play in euros..
PSG disgraced Barca?..and Liverpool didn't disgrace Barca in 2019?

..but he participated in la liga this year, and infact won the Copa del Rey abi? abi no be European Competition again?

my point is dt, this award is only determined by a good UCL or euros n its only the best players in UCL dt do win it...eg ar iniesta, Robery, vvd n even lewi bt none won d ballon d or..
A good European Competition....UCL & Euros are not the only determinant for this award.

But those who eventually won the Ballon d'Or later that year all came from the top 3 in the Men's Player Award abi?
2011-Messi
2012-Iniesta/Messi/Ronaldo
2013-Ribery/Messi/Ronaldo

Any other one? grin grin
let me ask u....ur cr7 played in UCL n even played in euros n ended up winning the golden ball.....wat is he doing in 9th position??
If not for the EUROs...he wouldn't be in top 10....He had a terrible season....Everyone knows that.

messi is just 4th n above the others with just club performance n it teaches u nothing??
I jus de laugh u..
When you say with just club...Is an Argentina Copa America more coveted than an Italy EUROs?

Jorginho ticks all the boxes....Country & Club. Stats for stats....what makes you think Lewy won't get into top 3?
You still didn't answer the top 3 question.

Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by DoggoneDogg: 5:27pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

Gbam.

A very good list.
Jorginho should go on to win the Balon D'Or sef. Man won two major trophies this season in a starring role.

Messi failed this season and wants to use Copa America to win it? No league, no CL? Nah

If its that easy, then Iheanacho or Onuachu should be in the Balon D'Or running next season if Nigeria wins the AFCON. Nonsense & dwarf of Erebor.
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by paulolee(m): 5:29pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

You are contradicting yourself.

VVD won (2019)....Messi placed 2nd (Barcelona won la liga in 2018-2019) and Ronaldo 3rd.
Lewy won the 2020 & Messi wasn't among the top 3..
There was no Ballon d'Or award in 2020......
So how did Messi come back to win it? I don't understand.

Ok

PSG disgraced Barca?..and Liverpool didn't disgrace Barca in 2019?

..but he participated in la liga this year, and infact won the Copa del Rey abi? abi no be European Competition again?

A good European Competition....UCL & Euros are not the only determinant for this award.

But those who eventually won the Ballon d'Or later that year all came from the top 3 in the Men's Player Award abi?
2011-Messi
2012-Iniesta/Messi/Ronaldo
2013-Ribery/Messi/Ronaldo

Any other one? grin grin

If not for the EUROs...he wouldn't be in top 10....He had a terrible season....Everyone knows that.

When you say with just club...Is an Argentina Copa America much huge than an Italy EUROs?

Jorginho ticks all the boxes....Country & Club. Stats for stats....what makes you think Lewy won't get into top 3?
You still didn't answer the top 3 question.
na wah o.....my guy forget all this long story...
saw some mistakes in my early writings n gat no time to start editing all...
the koko b say messi had d best individual performance last season n he also won d copa wich seals his 7th balloon d or this December and I dnt Care about who the oda nominees would be..
u say Jorginho tick all d boxes because he won UCL and euros abi??
no wahala bcoz I no get time to prolong d talk before bot ban me..
this uefa award is determined by UCL n messi not in d nominees changes nothing..
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by fergie001: 5:33pm On Aug 19, 2021
DoggoneDogg:
Gbam.
A very good list.
Jorginho should go on to win the Balon D'Or sef. Man won two major trophies this season in a starring role.

Messi failed this season and wants to use Copa America to win it? No league, no CL? Nah

If its that easy, then Iheanacho or Onuachu should be in the Balon D'Or running next season if Nigeria wins the AFCON. Nonsense & dwarf of Erebor.
Messi is a legend but I don't buy this Copa America Ballon d'Or sneaking in. I don't just understand.

He is Messi.....he will most likely get the FIFA best player....but an European should get the Ballon d'Or......this list na just expo.
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by DoggoneDogg: 5:36pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

Messi is a legend but I don't buy this Copa America Ballon d'Or sneaking in. I don't just understand.

He is Messi.....he will most likely get the FIFA best player....but an European should get the Ballon d'Or......this list na just expo.

He shouldn't get anything.
Why should he? Just because he has fans?? He isn't the best player in FIFA tournaments, is he?

David Beckham never won anything back then despite having numerous fans because Ronaldo & Zidane were the obvious best.

Football should prevail over social media shenanigans.
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by paulolee(m): 5:38pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

no be lie...messi CNT win this but he would win d big prize this December
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by DoggoneDogg: 5:39pm On Aug 19, 2021
I've come to observe that Messi's fanboys reason emotionally - reason they fell for his crocodile tears instead of facing the fact that this deceptive dwarf ditched them for money & played on their intelligence. Same reason they say he is humble when we have videos of him fighting, bullying, disrespecting coaches, Presidents, fans etc.

Cristiano Ronaldo's fans are a bit more logical. His fans would never have fallen for something fake like what Messi did. They may just keep quiet and continue defending him blindly...

I'm a fan of neither though, just my observation.
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by Dabronze(m): 5:47pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

grin grin

4 Lionel Messi (Barcelona, now at Paris & Argentina) – 148 points
5 Robert Lewandowski (Bayern & Poland) – 140 points
6 Gianluigi Donnarumma (AC Milan, now at Paris & Italy) – 49 points
7 Kylian Mbappé (Paris & France) – 31 points
8 Raheem Sterling (Man. City & England) – 18 points
9 Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus & Portugal) – 16 points
10 Erling Haaland (Dortmund & Norway) – 15 points
Wha criteria are they using to give them point.
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by Numerouno94(m): 6:16pm On Aug 19, 2021
@ Fergie001 u dnt expect Messi's name to b on d list cos he had a poor UEFA campaign last season. Buh everyone knws the balon d' or belongs to Messi. King Pendu nd his fans can hug the nearest transformer.

Notin for king Pendu aka the fraud man. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by Numerouno94(m): 6:18pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by fergie001: 6:23pm On Aug 19, 2021
Numerouno94:
@ Fergie001 u dnt expect Messi's name to b on d list cos he had a poor UEFA campaign last season. Buh everyone knws the balon d' or belongs to Messi. King Pendu nd his fans can hug the nearest transformer.

Notin for king Pendu aka the fraud man. grin grin grin grin
Ballon d'Or on what plank?

Copa America?
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by Numerouno94(m): 8:22pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

Ballon d'Or on what plank?

Copa America?

The tin go shock u like Buhari grin grin grin
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by OJEEMAH(m): 8:42pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

Fergie, you should know this isn't a determinant for Balon D'or.
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by fergie001: 8:45pm On Aug 19, 2021
OJEEMAH:
Fergie, you should know this isn't a determinant for Balon D'or.
...but it is a headstart..... grin grin
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by OJEEMAH(m): 8:51pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

...but it is a headstart..... grin grin

No, its not and Paulolee already explained it
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by fergie001: 9:00pm On Aug 19, 2021
OJEEMAH:
No, its not and Paulolee already explained it
grin cheesy grin

Forget Ballon d'Or for Lionel....he will be amongst the top 3 but won't win it.
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by paulolee(m): 9:30pm On Aug 19, 2021
fergie001:

grin cheesy grin

Forget Ballon d'Or for Lionel....he will be amongst the top 3 but won't win it.
messi CNT be among a nomination of Jorginho n kante or lewi n lose to any of them..
messi go win am easily n ur cr7 no go even make top 10
Re: Nominees Revealed For 2020/21 UEFA Player Of The Year Awards. by fergie001: 9:36pm On Aug 19, 2021
paulolee:

messi CNT be among a nomination of Jorginho n kante or lewi n lose to any of them..
messi go win am easily n ur cr7 no go even make top 10
...with Copa America... grin cheesy

Abeg go defend Braitwaithe jareh cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Rodgers: Why Iheanacho Has Not Started For Leicester This Season / Why Salah Must Be Tied Down With Massive New Contract -carragher / What Messi Fans Won't Talk About.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.