Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,432 members, 7,823,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. (1411 Views)

Why Do Some School Teachers Sleep With Students? / Meet Sackey Percy Ghanaian Dancing Teacher Who Dances With Students After Class / N5000 For Sex With Students Of FGGC Langtang Plateau: Security Guards Connection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Nobody: 12:06am On Dec 04, 2021
Hello house.

As we all know, the end of term examination is ongoing and I observed something very annoying and uncceptable in the students . Though it's not a new thing neither is it the first time they are doing such.

I've noticed that some students are fond of choosing two answers, leaving you with the task of choosing the correct answer for them.
When this happens, sometimes, you're caught between marking it wrong or making the choose for them, which I find incriminating and unethical.

This period, I've had to deal with this same issue ( even though I've warrned them severally to always pick only one answer) but this time I made up my mind to mark such answers wrong even if one of the two happens to be correct and that's exactly how I've been handling this issue but sometimes, I feel it's a bit harsh of me to just fail a student even when he got one of the answers correct.

So, is my approach to this issue right or wrong?

What of a situation where a student does this with the whole questions in a section? Should I go ahead and cancel the whole section or help him choose the correct answer?

Your inputs, please. This is becoming a common trend among them and it's not funny.
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Nobody: 12:36am On Dec 04, 2021
Bump!
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Elosky20: 1:01am On Dec 04, 2021
There is no negotiation when it comes to double answer on objectives, it renders such answers null and void. Ask yourself this question, what if this is JAMB will the computer scoring software pity for them? I even write down their names when I was still teaching and punish them for wasting my time.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Nobody: 1:12am On Dec 04, 2021
Elosky20:
There is no negotiation when it comes to double answer on objectives, it renders such answers null and void. Ask yourself this question, what if this is JAMB will the computer scoring software pity for them? I even write down their names when I was still teaching and punish them for wasting my time.

grin..
The thing is just so tiring. I also don't fail to mention it to them that if they try it in an external exam where it will be marked by computer, they'll all have themselves to blame for it but still, they continue and my hands are tied because most of my schools don't allow teachers to punish the pupils.
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by juniorstar(m): 2:48am On Dec 04, 2021
They are marked wrong!!

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Nobody: 5:04am On Dec 04, 2021
juniorstar:
They are marked wrong!!

Ok.
Thank you sir.
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Rooneyboy(m): 7:20am On Dec 04, 2021
grin grin grin
This is the reason I prefer theory to objective.
You can navigate your way through when answering theoretical questions( as long as "YOU" the teacher is patient enough to read through my epistle) but same cannon happen with OBJ.
Scope we've been using for more than 3 decades.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Rooneyboy(m): 7:22am On Dec 04, 2021
juniorstar:
They are marked wrong!!
why
U dare not try it. So as long as the answer falls in ur writeup.
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by juniorstar(m): 8:20am On Dec 04, 2021
Rooneyboy:
why
I see it as hey teacher I have two options and I will be submitting both..kindly help me choose the right one..well I will help you choose the wrong one and give you zero score for that question..if you had guessed the right one I wd have given you your full score

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Tohsynetita1: 8:34am On Dec 04, 2021
The best thing is to cancel both, I did this in my Secondary School days, Probably because I think a lot, not that am not serious o, I am, but whenever I doubt answer, I shade the options straight. in fact, mine exceeded double, I do shade tripple, From 60 questions, I can do 15 multiple shading, and I will score the 15. Any time I shade multiple choice, I cannot miss the answer because they are doubted options. The best for the teacher is to cancel both. some teacher got my trick then and some didn't, if you often use stencil, you won't get the trick. Or you can cancel shading to writing the Options out.
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Tohsynetita1: 8:36am On Dec 04, 2021
The best thing is to cancel both, I did this in my Secondary School days, Probably because I think a lot, not that am not serious o, I am, but whenever I doubt answer, I shade the options straight. in fact, mine exceeded double, I do shade tripple, From 60 questions, I can do 15 multiple shading, and I will score the 15. Any time I shade multiple choice, I cannot miss the answer because they are doubted options. The best for the teacher is to cancel both. some teacher got my trick then and some didn't, if you often use stencil, you won't get the trick. Let them write out the options with pencil.
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Nobody: 8:43am On Dec 04, 2021
Tohsynetita1:
The best thing is to cancel both, I did this in my Secondary School days, Probably because I think a lot, not that am not serious o, I am, but whenever I doubt answer, I shade the options straight. in fact, mine exceeded double, I do shade tripple, From 60 questions, I can do 15 multiple shading, and I will score the 15. Any time I shade multiple choice, I cannot miss the answer because they are doubted options. The best for the teacher is to cancel both. some teacher got my trick then and some didn't, if you often use stencil, you won't get the trick. Let them write out the options with pencil.

This is not even a shading answer sheet. It's the type you underline or circle the answer. So what they do is underline two options where one is the correct answer and the other is wrong. In fact, one undelined all the options. I just put a big question mark on it.
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Alhajiemeritus: 8:44am On Dec 04, 2021
Mercychen:
Hello house.

As we all know, the end of term examination is ongoing and I observed something very annoying and uncceptable in the students . Though it's not a new thing neither is it the first time they are doing such.

I've noticed that some students are fond of choosing two answers, leaving you with the task of choosing the correct answer for them.
When this happens, sometimes, you're caught between marking it wrong or making the choose for them, which I find incriminating and unethical.

This period, I've had to deal with this same issue ( even though I've warrned them severally to always pick only one answer) but this time I made up my mind to mark such answers wrong even if one of the two happens to be correct and that's exactly how I've been handling this issue but sometimes, I feel it's a bit harsh of me to just fail a student even when he got one of the answers correct.

What of a situation where a student does this with the whole questions in a section? Should I go ahead and cancel the whole section or help him choose the correct answer?

Your inputs, please. This is becoming a common trend among them and it's not funny.
Doesn't your school put instructions on exam scripts? The instructions should bẹ they should pick only one answer from each questions.The ability to follow instructions is tested with the ability to pick the right answers. If they pick two answers, they are wrong.

3 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by HillaryNelo(m): 9:04am On Dec 04, 2021
Give him or her zero
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Nobody: 11:19am On Dec 04, 2021
HillaryNelo:
Give him or her zero

My dear, Im telling you. U don't want to look wicked.

Alhajiemeritus:
Doesn't your school put instructions on exam scripts? The instructions should bẹ they should pick only one answer from each questions.The ability to follow instructions is tested with the ability to pick the right answers. If they pick two answers, they are wrong.

The Instructions are there and I still announce it verbally to them before they start, yet they'll do the same thing.

Students are just something else. The zeal and willingness to learn and study is no longer there. All they want to do is play, press phone and watch TV.
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Shokoloko(f): 1:18pm On Dec 04, 2021
Mercychen:
Hello house.

Two answers means the student does NOT know the answer.

Its not about looking wicked. Mark it wrong - that is the standard of exams. Only one answer must be marked

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 04, 2021
Shokoloko:

Two answers means the student does NOT know the answer.

Its not about looking wicked. Mark it wrong - that is the standard of exams. Only one answer must be marked

Exactly what I did (marked it wrong) throughout this week but I later started feeling somehow. you know... as a human being. That was why I created this thread to know if I'm being hard hearted and also if it's ok to bend the rules a little and consider them because I know I'm still going to face the same thing this week.

Chai, My children.
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Tohsynetita1: 1:56pm On Dec 04, 2021
Mercychen:

This is not even a shading answer sheet. It's the type you underline or circle the answer. So what they do is underline two options where one is the correct answer and the other is wrong. In fact, one undelined all the options. I just put a big question mark on it.
In that case, give the students the paper to redo it.
And you monitor them with cane.
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Conner44: 2:13pm On Dec 04, 2021
I thought that was the idea

It’s called ‘multiple choice‘ for a reason right? undecided
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by ITbomb(m): 2:15pm On Dec 04, 2021
I remember my teacher then
She said "following instructions is part of the exam", so if the instruction was answer ONLY two questions and you answered 3, you have failed, she won't even pick two and cancel the third

Mercychen:

My dear, Im telling you. U don't want to look wicked.

The Instructions are there and I still announce it verbally to them before they start, yet they'll do the same thing.

Students are just something else. The zeal and willingness to learn and study is no longer there. All they want to do is play, press phone and watch TV.

Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by youngblaq: 2:44pm On Dec 04, 2021
Rooneyboy:
grin grin grin
This is the reason I prefer theory to objective.
You can navigate your way through when answering theoretical questions( as long as "YOU" the teacher is patient enough to read through my epistle) but same cannon happen with OBJ.
Scope we've been using for more than 3 decades.

Sometimes, some of these students answer more than the instructions tell them. You through the instruction above the questions tell them to answer let's say 3 out of 5...
Now you're marking, you then observe that about 1 out of every 6 students answered more than advised. Damn...sometimes you are so into the marking and this sort of stupidity from these set of students would sap your energy so bad...
Obj is just better...any student that shaded two boxes shaded no single box. That's null and void. Easy breezy.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 04, 2021
Probably Primary School pupils. Just mark the co=ect one and move on.
Life no suppose hard for this kids
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Gosj001: 6:24pm On Dec 04, 2021
No time nah to cancel the answer.

I did lot of this during Nysc teaching.

My siggy though
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by BanevsJoker(m): 6:34pm On Dec 04, 2021
Rooneyboy:
why
By your logic, students should begin shading all the options since one of them is bound to be correct.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Ge0grapher(m): 8:02pm On Dec 04, 2021
Some students would even attempt more than the required n0 of questions instructed to answer thinking they would get more marks..
embarassed
Re: How To Deal With Students Choosing Two Answers in Exam Objective Questions. by Nobody: 8:32pm On Dec 04, 2021
Isaytrash:
Probably Primary School pupils. Just mark the co=ect one and move on.
Life no suppose hard for this kids

Lol @ "life no suppose hard for this kids"

That's why I'm asking if I should consider them na cheesy.

It is well.

(1) (Reply)

Bida Poly Important Notice To Students On Dressing (Photos) / ************************* / Federal Polytechnic Ede: Post Mpce Result:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.