Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me (49871 Views)

Akpan: "I Scored 126 Votes To Win Primary But APC Submitted My Opponent’s Name" / Dapo Abiodun: I May End Up In Pulpit After 8 Years As Governor / Timi Frank Replies Governor Ikpeazu: You Are Nothing But APC's Mole In PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Maxymilliano(m): 10:57am On Apr 27, 2022
Mr Abiodun, with jail number 8600B9436, had filed an application for a redaction of his criminal records in Miami Dade, Florida.

ADEFEMOLA AKINTADE • APRIL 27, 2022

Embattled Governor Dapo Abiodun says his arrest in the United States over credit card fraud and forgery in 1986 is not sufficient grounds for his disqualification by the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Mr Abiodun said APC as a political party lacked the power to disqualify him, stressing that only a competent court of law could do so had the statutes of limitations for such matters not passed.

An aspirant or candidate will only be disqualified by the court if the false information he gives relates to a constitutional requirement of eligibility. APC is not a court of law. Accordingly, it cannot disqualify our client” the governor’s lawyer wrote Abdulahi Adamu, APC chairman, citing section 29(6) of the Electoral Act 2022.

Represented by Afe Babalola and Co, Mr Abiodun’s legal team further argued that the governor’s probable arrest was not a conviction and hence was not answerable to the laws that applied to criminals.

Even if he was convicted in 1986, the governor’s legal counsel asserted the Nigerian constitution only disqualifies ex-felons from contesting political offices if their sentence was less than 10 years before the election date.

In any event, assuming but not conceding that our client was even convicted in 1986, he would still not be affected or caught by Section 182 (1) (e) of the CFRN because the CFRN requires that the conviction which would disqualify a person from the position of the governor must have occurred ten years before the date of election to the office,” wrote Mr Abiodun’s lawyer.

This was in response to a petition submitted by APC member Ayodele Oludiran on behalf of Oluwatobi Sofela of Ogun Bibire Unity Forum, who warned the party might lose the governorship seat in Ogun due to Mr Abiodun’s criminal history and its concealment from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) despite swearing an oath.

He also cautioned that the discrepancies in the governor’s educational qualifications might also cause opposition parties to question the eligibility of Mr Abiodun’s re-election bid, swaying the electorate to their side.

“If action is not taken, the chances of our great party, the APC, retaining the governorship seat in Ogun State shall be in jeopardy as previously seen in Bayelsa and Zamfara States,” wrote Mr Sofela in a statement.

Mr Abiodun, with jail number 8600B9436, had filed an application for a redaction of his criminal records in Miami Dade, Florida.

The request was granted in 2015.

Last May, Abidemi Rufai, a longtime associate of Mr Abiodun, was arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in the U.S. for his role in a $650 million (N312 billion) employment fraud.

https://gazettengr.com/i-was-arrested-for-fraud-in-u-s-but-apc-cannot-disqualify-me-in-2023-dapo-abiodun/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Ebubu: 10:58am On Apr 27, 2022
Why would they arrest you?
Have they arrested Tinubu?

276 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Ussycool: 11:00am On Apr 27, 2022
Chai
So APC have gut to disqualify a presidential aspirant? Are they not fraud?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by habsydiamond(m): 11:02am On Apr 27, 2022
If these people can be swearing if our traditional gods na only God know the number of politicians we for get in this country.. Dem go Don reduce drastically.

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Rilwayne001: 11:05am On Apr 27, 2022
Dapo will be disqualified in the last minute. Watch out!

habsydiamond:
If these people can be swearing if our traditional gods na only God know the number of politicians we for get in this country.. Dem go Don reduce drastically.

It’d have made no difference

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Maxymilliano(m): 11:08am On Apr 27, 2022
So Dapo Abiodun is a jailbird grin

Truly, APC is an Association of Past Criminals

223 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 11:08am On Apr 27, 2022
All Progressive Criminals cool

96 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by ovieigho(m): 11:08am On Apr 27, 2022
Just because he declared for Osinbajo, Tinubu’s camp with their usual propaganda are already calling him light weight governor!
They are already running kiti-kata just to dig his past

350 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by OVB123: 11:17am On Apr 27, 2022
The younger brother of tinubu.

351 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Addme: 11:18am On Apr 27, 2022
ovieigho:
Just because he declared for Osinbajo, Tinubu’s camp with their usual propaganda are already calling him light weight governor!
They are already running kiti-kata just to dig his past
I don't think so, his declaration was just yesterday but the petition has been submitted since. I think before yesterday

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by habsydiamond(m): 11:18am On Apr 27, 2022
Rilwayne001:
Dapo will be disqualified in the last minute. Watch out!

It’d have made no difference
why did u say that..

1 Like

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Adebar: 1:59pm On Apr 27, 2022
grin
Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Caseless: 2:00pm On Apr 27, 2022
What's going on here?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by foryourmindlol: 2:00pm On Apr 27, 2022
Afonja governor. This is the future of One Nigeria they're fighting so hard for - to enthrone criminals and corrupt looters like this yahoo governor and drug baron Tinubu.

22 Likes

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Felabrity: 2:01pm On Apr 27, 2022
Fraudster

Who voted you sef?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Finnese001: 2:01pm On Apr 27, 2022
grin
Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by haffaze777(m): 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2022
No wonder Ogun state is in comatose state

341 Likes

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by NaughtyBrainiac: 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2022
Angelfrost:
A Party of Criminals (APC) shouldn't have any issue with an Ex-Con!
And PDP is a party of Non-Criminals? Saints?

All of you should continue being ludicrous by preposterously supporting political parties when most of these Politicians are only after their personal interests.

Can you count how many former PDP Politicians now in APC and former APC Politicians now in PDP?

Why have you lots chosen to be foolish for life? Think!

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Racoon(m): 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2022
See what these bastards have reduced politics to. A convicted criminal in the US even threatening to become president in Nigeria? What audacity mixed with shamelessness.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Mindlog: 2:02pm On Apr 27, 2022
Yahoo boys of the 80s.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by osinbanjoisaliar: 2:03pm On Apr 27, 2022
Addme:

I don't think so, his declaration was just yesterday but the petition has been submitted since. I think before yesterday

Dem born you yesterday. Na since last month Abiodun go don show greenlight for Osibanjo door. Yesterday na just formality

20 Likes

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by zombieTRACKER: 2:03pm On Apr 27, 2022
undecided

Damn right ..

on which moral ground should they disqualify this fellow.. when the party's self acclaimed national leader is an epitome of fraud

18 Likes

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by kiltoko1(m): 2:03pm On Apr 27, 2022
Please pictures of him in prison uniform needed

3 Likes

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by soberdrunk(m): 2:03pm On Apr 27, 2022
Can you just imagine!!! Person way suppose bury head in shame...... angry

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Drsnives(m): 2:03pm On Apr 27, 2022
Kweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekeeee ooo

1 Like

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Transcriber: 2:03pm On Apr 27, 2022
Bloody crooks

2 Likes

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by vision2050: 2:04pm On Apr 27, 2022
grin
Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 2:05pm On Apr 27, 2022
With his full chest....That's a man! Iragbiji can never accept.Never Never..Ndi oshi

4 Likes

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by Foreign231(m): 2:06pm On Apr 27, 2022
Turn illegal to legal
Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 2:06pm On Apr 27, 2022
Sophisticated politics in the mud.
The jagaban vs osibanjo fight go sweet 4 neutrals.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Replies Aisha Yesufu: 'You Are A Frustrated Sidekick' / Peter Obi Kneels Down In Dunamis Church To Appreciate God (Photo) / 'What Is Bulaba?' - Reno Omokri Mocks Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.