Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,436 members, 7,839,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Opinion: To Negotiate Or Not With Terrorists? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Opinion: To Negotiate Or Not With Terrorists? (148 Views)

Don't Trade With Terrorists, Let's End This War - Major General Christopher Musa / Kidnapped Train Passengers: FG Opens Discussion With Terrorists. / Train Attack: Security Agencies Negotiating With Terrorists On Abductees - NRC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: To Negotiate Or Not With Terrorists? by OROSENIWO1: 6:28pm On May 26, 2022
Terrorists are not just hood-wearing, AK-47 totting,sabre-wielding religious exremists cum sadists.... but also those who oppress through unleashing ECONOMIC, POLITICAL , CULTURAL,etc etc BRUTALITY ON THE POPULACE

should we ever negotiate with terrorists or syndicates?

There are three terrorists.

One attacks my country. I am in charge. I do not negotiate.
One attacks your country. You are in charge. You do negotiate.

The third terrorist now needs to decide who to attack. Is it better to pick you or me? Obviously you. You negotiate. I don’t.

Then a fourth terrorist comes. Then a fifth.
Then people who are not terrorists see that terrorism is profitable in your country.

That’s why you don’t negotiate. (In theory).
Re: Opinion: To Negotiate Or Not With Terrorists? by OROSENIWO1: 1:39am On May 27, 2022
HOW DO WE DEAL WITH THE TERRORISTS?
There are several reasons for a person to become something like a terrorist. Even an eve-teaser is a terrorist for the girl/woman who is the victim. There are numerous classification of terrorism, viz, religious, political, economic, geo-political, environmental, etc, etc.

Here I presume we are talking about the most prolific type— religious terrorism!

A person, so heavily indoctrinated and motivated to kill innocents and even die while doing that, is very unlikely to undergo another round of change of heart. Any attempt to detoxify them would not succeed unless the person undergoes 100% self-realization and sees things with the changed perspectives. For that, the terrorist need to cancel, deny, abhor and reject all his previous teachings and indoctrinations. Practically, such thing is considered unachievable!

In comparison, a murderer might repent and reflect the situation that led him/her to commit such an act. There might be several justifiable reasons such as revenge, hatred, need for money, self-defense, etc.

But a terrorist commits heinous crimes under an illusion created in him by others. His self-righteousness would be difficult to remove and practically reboot his memories!

What options are now left with police, military and Law for dealing with such individuals other than putting him/her to peace through legal measures? As long as these people are alive, they aren't going to change their hearts, ideologies and indoctrinations.

To my mind, relieving them of their miserable state of minds by culling them seens to be the last and logical course available under the present situations.

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Submits Report Of Forensic Investigations Indicting Naira Marley For Cyber / Activist Decries High Rate Of Sexual Harassment In Work Places, Institutions / Catholic Priest Abducted In Kaduna Regains Freedom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.