Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,852 members, 7,851,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:03 AM

5 Nigerian Slangs That Have Different Meanings In Other Countries - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / 5 Nigerian Slangs That Have Different Meanings In Other Countries (800 Views)

Canadian Slangs That Would Drop Your Jaws (video) / 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Relate / 15 Nairaland Memes And Their Meanings (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Nigerian Slangs That Have Different Meanings In Other Countries by taiwotosho22(m): 7:58pm On Nov 19, 2022
There are over 500 languages spoken in this West African country and in addition to that there are the slangs. The Nigerian slangs are usually so funny that you will wish you were a Nigerian so you could understand them.
Another thing about the slangs used in Nigeria is that they sometimes have a different meaning in other countries. Here are five of them.

How far?
In many places "How far" means you're asking about the distance of a place. In Nigeria, it means something else. When someone says, "How far?" they could be asking you, how are you, or about a discussion you guys had earlier, or it could even be used in form of hello.

Trenches
The dictionary meaning of trenches is a long, narrow ditch or a long, narrow, deep depression in an ocean bed. In Nigeria? Trenches means something totally different.

When someone says they are in the trenches, it means they are living a poor life, one filled with sapa. Trenches is also associated with your life in the past where you didn't have good clothes and it could also refer to rural locations.

I'm coming
In the English language, the phrase "I'm coming" means you're actually moving towards the person you're talking to. In Nigeria, it is something different. When a person says, I'm coming, they could be moving away from you and only mean they will be coming back soon.

Chairman
A chairman is someone who presides at a meeting or heads a committee, board, at least that's what the Collins dictionary says. In Nigeria, that is not what it means.

When a person says that's my chairman, the meaning could range from someone who you always ask for favors, to someone whom you hold in high regard to even someone you're romantically involved with.

Breakfast
Breakfast is supposed to mean the first meal of the day. More recently, it is used in Nigeria to refer to getting a heartbreak.

So when person A ends a relationship with person B and person B is left heartbroken, it is said that person A has served person B breakfast. Now breakfast in this situation could be hot or cold depending on the level of pain experienced by the receiver.
You can add yours....

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Slangs That Have Different Meanings In Other Countries by Realguyman1(m): 8:00pm On Nov 19, 2022
O
Re: 5 Nigerian Slangs That Have Different Meanings In Other Countries by Nehyooh(m): 8:56pm On Nov 19, 2022
taiwotosho22:
There are over 500 languages spoken in this West African country and in addition to that there are the slangs. The Nigerian slangs are usually so funny that you will wish you were a Nigerian so you could understand them.
Another thing about the slangs used in Nigeria is that they sometimes have a different meaning in other countries. Here are five of them.

How far?
In many places "How far" means you're asking about the distance of a place. In Nigeria, it means something else. When someone says, "How far?" they could be asking you, how are you, or about a discussion you guys had earlier, or it could even be used in form of hello.

Trenches
The dictionary meaning of trenches is a long, narrow ditch or a long, narrow, deep depression in an ocean bed. In Nigeria? Trenches means something totally different.

When someone says they are in the trenches, it means they are living a poor life, one filled with sapa. Trenches is also associated with your life in the past where you didn't have good clothes and it could also refer to rural locations.

I'm coming
In the English language, the phrase "I'm coming" means you're actually moving towards the person you're talking to. In Nigeria, it is something different. When a person says, I'm coming, they could be moving away from you and only mean they will be coming back soon.

Chairman
A chairman is someone who presides at a meeting or heads a committee, board, at least that's what the Collins dictionary says. In Nigeria, that is not what it means.

When a person says that's my chairman, the meaning could range from someone who you always ask for favors, to someone whom you hold in high regard to even someone you're romantically involved with.

Breakfast
Breakfast is supposed to mean the first meal of the day. More recently, it is used in Nigeria to refer to getting a heartbreak.

So when person A ends a relationship with person B and person B is left heartbroken, it is said that person A has served person B breakfast. Now breakfast in this situation could be hot or cold depending on the level of pain experienced by the receiver.
You can add yours....
grin
Re: 5 Nigerian Slangs That Have Different Meanings In Other Countries by Careente7(m): 10:15pm On Nov 19, 2022
Respect first of all ,but trenches is actually a “hip hop” word for ghetto,slum etc.It actually originated from the US as a slang ‘for it got it’s way down to the real trenches.
Re: 5 Nigerian Slangs That Have Different Meanings In Other Countries by akwesenana: 3:48am On Nov 20, 2022
Trenches ain't Nigerian.

(1) (Reply)

Plane Crash / Shop Lifting / Black Lacy Panties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.