Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,411 members, 7,853,810 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 03:21 AM

Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. (15389 Views)

25 Small Scale Business Ideas In Nigeria / Business For Stay Home Wife / How To Make A Poultry Incubator At Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by iaabc(f): 11:34am On Aug 26, 2011
If you decide to resign from your present job in order to have more time for your kids, what business would you do? I have administrative experience and nothing else.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by madoba: 1:57pm On Aug 26, 2011
I would recommend FM perfumes. It is a business where you can sell perfumes but I think that may work better in an environment where you are in constant contact with others such as colleagues at the work place, acquaintances at church may help too.

FM perfumes is a multi-level marketing business where you have to get people to sign up under you, in order to move up to the next level, get more points and benefits etc.  I am not a fan of multi-level marketing businesses.

However I recommend it because you can still do very well by just selling the perfumes. Your focus should be selling to make profit NOT getting people to join under you. But if you find people by all means sign them up. Just don't make it your focus otherwise you will have a hard time with success

You can try this: Make tasty sandwiches and take them out to offices, schools or places where people usually congregate every morning and sell. Sandwiches are easy to make, it doesn't take much, people are often hungry and looking for a quick snack while working. If you can't sell yourself find a contact person in each organization where you can leave your goods and return for your money at the end of the day it's risky but worth a try.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by tpia5: 3:59pm On Aug 26, 2011
^^great idea @ the sandwich or snack thing.

some people do that.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by tpia5: 4:03pm On Aug 26, 2011
@ topic

you can babysit or start a daycare/school

sell frozen foods if you have a working freezer [depends on your type of neighborhood though]

meet up with other stay at home mums [a lot of oyibos do this and it works for them i think]

take up private tutoring at your own convenience.

you might not make a lot of money from these but i assume the main thing here is to keep busy.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by femmy2010(m): 12:59am On Aug 27, 2011
@Op,you have a car?
Then I can recommend Dry cleaning.
That can be done from home and your ex-work mates would be your first set of clients.
All u need do is pick up and drop off as you would employ hands to wash and do the ironing for you.
Best of luck.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by seedord247(m): 2:58am On Aug 27, 2011
femmy2010:

@Op,you have a car?
Then I can recommend Dry cleaning.
That can be done from home and your ex-work mates would be your first set of clients.
All u need do is pick up and drop off as you would employ hands to wash and do the ironing for you.
Best of luck.

what if one of the customer forget his CD inside the pocket and the OP took his cloth for washing what do you want the husband to say?
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by LagBlogger(m): 3:22am On Aug 27, 2011
Poster,

You can visit my blog by clicking on the link below and have a look at 10 home based business ideas with low budget/ start up costs.

On the other hand I still have a few I would want to share additionally with you;

1. Start a home based honey distribution business (profit margin is high)

2. How about a travel agency from home

3. Have you considered also writing articles as a freelancer check out these websites

a) elance.com

b) guru.com

c) textbroker.com

d) hubpages.com

4. Start blogging from home about a specific niche. You could use a free platform such as blogger with adsense or even better use hubpages you have other options of making money along with adsense such as amazon associate program.

Best of all these ideas can put real cash (not invisible) in your pocket within a few months of dedicated serious work.

Good luck to whoever values this
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by 9jabizhelp(m): 3:38am On Aug 27, 2011
In Nigeria today, we are always encouraged to acquire one other skill and i really agree with that. You could learn and start a small cake baking business at your house. Employ sales people who will help you supply to your clients if you are too busy with the kids.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by tpia5: 3:42am On Aug 27, 2011
^^why the bolded part- just curious.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by 222Martins(m): 4:15am On Aug 27, 2011
@poster, you said you have administrative experience and nothing else. Does it mean you have no passion, hobby or something that thrills you? If you do, then you can start a home business around your passion or hobby. But if not, then consider offering consultations based on your administrative experience.

And one more thing, you are a stay at home mum. Why not do some research online for some possible business ideas for stay at home mums. Or better still, start an online business.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by manny4life(m): 4:16am On Aug 27, 2011
Sell on eBay @ your own time, You can purchase liquidated brand new items like clothing's, jewelry, shoes et al and sell on eBay, very easy and convenient. Here is a sample jewelry I buy from a CA wholesaler who is into high fashion jewel items.  Though I have a great job, my store on eBay makes me decent income.

You can teach if you have the time; I did this part-time. During summer, I gathered few elementary school kids and tutored them computer training, that niche can be extended to those who are willing to learn like adults. If you good in Accounting/finance/math/retail business book-keeping, you can do anything from the comfort of your home. In addition to that, it's tax training season a lot of people will need their taxes done for a fee.

In addition, you can ship items to Nigeria and have your money remitted back to you. UPS is a good carrier and if you have a trustworthy fellow back home, it's easy as 1-2-3. For instance for every $2,800 of brand refurbished  computers I send back home, I make about $400 profit after expenses. I turn a cycle of once every month, trust me I've made a decent living together with my income.

The opportunities are endless, you just have to have the time to do it, they say time is money.

Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by 222Martins(m): 4:26am On Aug 27, 2011
Start a baby sitting service
Become an event planner
Bake snacks at home and sell to people in your neighborhood.
Offer bookkeeping services to small businesses in your locality
Start a small scale poultry or catfish farm
Join a network marketing company
Become a freelance writer for major newspapers or magazines.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by stkris(m): 4:51am On Aug 27, 2011
@OP
I think it would be easier for people to give you valid suggestions if you indicate your location. What works in the U.S isn't necessarily going to work in Nigeria or elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by chooseable: 6:00am On Aug 27, 2011
@manny4life , pls i like the ideas you posted,wish i can learn more or even have a chat with you.can you pls send me your email let me reach you so that we can interact, This is my email, steve_biz_biz@yahoo.com,or add me on ym, stevs4real999@yahoo.com.Tanx and God bless.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by moremi2008(m): 7:09am On Aug 27, 2011
Well, the oldest profession in the world is always booming. A few clients between changing the kids' diapers will keep you satisfied, financially. grin
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by Nobody: 8:02am On Aug 27, 2011
moremi2008:

Well, the oldest profession in the world is always booming. A few clients between changing the kids' diapers will keep you satisfied, financially. grin

are you advising ha to go into prostitution shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

na capital I-DIOT u be! grin grin

FOR YOUR INFO, THAT PROFESSION IS SATURATED WITH YOUNGER GIRLS AT THE PRICE OF PEANUTS lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 27, 2011
I'd suggest you buy a pop-corn machine and start making pop-corn well-packaged with label on it. And also Chi-Chi can also be produce and package. The packaging is the key to any successful business.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by WaltherPPK: 8:32am On Aug 27, 2011
moremi2008:

Well, the oldest profession in the world is always booming. A few clients between changing the kids' diapers will keep you satisfied, financially.  grin
I see why you recommended it. Because you are a product of the oldest profession in the world.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by soulfood(m): 8:44am On Aug 27, 2011
HAVING A PARTY?

Established in 2004, Outbox is your one stop music and public announcement provider for any event.

www dot outboxmedia dot webs dot com

WWW.OUTBOXMEDIA.WEBS.COM

or call 07028338881

The sound of a place is a key tool in defining the ambience (distinctive atmosphere) of the place. Good sound gives good ambience to all events. For a memorable and lively ambience at your events, Outbox media is your choice.

Live band, DJ, s and equipment hire handled by experienced sound engineers for high quality sound. We play music to match the theme of your events. Be it seminars, weddings, naming ceremony, bachelor’s eve or ladies night. We take details of the people attending the event into consideration in deciding the music that will be played.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by cicero(m): 9:00am On Aug 27, 2011
It is irritating that a person asks a question that is important and some teenager comes up to show how useless their parents are for raising societal disasters. How could someone recommend prostitution here whether seriously or a joke? Because you think you are anonymous? This young man Seun has started this forum that is helping hundreds of thousands and jealous individuals want to turn it into something else to scare decent people away.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by koolguy88(m): 9:54am On Aug 27, 2011
she can do snacks and supply to the shops in her locality/neibhourhood
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by moremi2008(m): 9:55am On Aug 27, 2011
cicero:

It is irritating that a person asks a question that is important and some teenager comes up to show how useless their parents are for raising societal disasters. How could someone recommend prostitution here whether seriously or a joke? Because you think you are anonymous? This young man Seun has started this forum that is helping hundreds of thousands and jealous individuals want to turn it into something else to scare decent people away.

Old baba, did you forget to take your meds again? "Scare decent people away"? Hahahaha! Are you insane? Or is this your first time on the Internet? Abeg jo, get out of here. It was an obvious joke and if that is enough to scare you away, then you shouldn't be wasting the few kobos you're managing at the Internet cafe surfing the Internet.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by iaabc(f): 10:02am On Aug 27, 2011
Yay! My post made it to the front page.

Thanks all for the sensible posts and for the non-sensible ones, well, what can one say, this is nairaland.
Please more ideas.
I am currently in Lagos.

The baking thing and the writing freelance for newspapers sound interesting.
I like the idea of baking but must it be only cakes or chin-chin, what if i do apple pies and stuff, do you guys think you would buy or better still what would you be interested in buying?
Then the newspaper thing, I can write but I am not sure I know how to reach newspapers to buy into the idea.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by leMuhito(f): 10:05am On Aug 27, 2011

1 Like

Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by Knight1(m): 10:41am On Aug 27, 2011
BUsiness ideas don't just come like that. you have to consider your environment and circumstances.
e.g where do you live, what kind of people live there etc
i'll give an example,
if you stay ina place like abj, where estates are sprouting like mushrooms, with young couples moving around, you have to think of things that young people of our day like; some like perfumes, gadgets, etc in such a place you can also start a cooking gas station,
so what you have to do is to look critically at your environment, find a service that people require and meet it while making dough! wink
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by femmy2010(m): 11:18am On Aug 27, 2011
seedord247:

what if one of the customer forget his CD inside the pocket and the OP took his cloth for washing what do you want the husband to say?

That one is serious oo.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by macroworld: 11:35am On Aug 27, 2011
Try Online Marketing by working with an established Company that has network Marketing.
I know of a Woman who works from Home and makes around $20,000 a Month Marketing online for
a Company. There are quite a few examples of such.

The world we are living in is Changing, a decent part of wealth creation is now made by
people working from home and not just big Corporations.

Pick up Robert Kiyosaki's book titled the business school

The good thing with most of this business is that the start up costs are minimal in comparison to
normal business. In most of this businesses, you don't even have to stock product etc etc

I wish you the best.
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by nadine07: 12:02pm On Aug 27, 2011
@ manny4life ur a real bussiness person, abeg give me more tips
Re: Business Ideas For Stay At Home Mum. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 27, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FCMB Group Announces Leadership Changes. / Why You Should Maintain Loyalty With One Bank / List Of States With Shoprite Outlets In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.