Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,742 members, 7,840,879 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro - Crime (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro (48508 Views)

2 Jealous Ladies Upload Married Friend’s Sex Video On Social Media In Lagos / Idowu Oluwatosin Olakunle: Police Arrested Me For Being Feminine & Too Slim / Police Arrested Me Because Of My Dressing, Murder Suspect Confesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro by Odin13: 11:29pm On Jun 22, 2023
professorPABX:

You are very uncivilized with your primitive. Is it because they have known for 15 years that a professional woman cannot visit a professional colleague in an hotel suite? What about if he had lodged in an apartment? Even if they just met for a month, is it a criterion for a professional woman meeting a professional colleague who just arrived from abroad? If the Lady had travelled abroad and he is the one that invited her organization for a program abroad would the police have arrested him or her? If the program is taking place in Lagos or PortHarcourt will police have gone to Radisson Blue Hotel or Four point by Sheraton or Intercontinental Hotel to arrest a businessman in his Suite for receiving a female business executive who is married in his suite? I have seen business executives receiving top female business executives who are married in their suites in Lagos, PortHarcourt, Pretoria (SA) & Europe.

They are crude, uncivilized and highly primitive. Mind you, most of the people on this topic are not Muslims and not even from Northern Muslim States. They are from South. They are suffering from bitterness.

That was how an hotel in Abuja in 2013 said two men from the same organization who came from Lagos to Abuja for Visa processes for an IT Seminar abroad cannot lodge together in the same suite because it is against Sharia Penal codes. It was very funny when the news got to Computer Village, Ikeja because they were from Computer Village branch of the company.

NB: Are you aware there are apartments where people lodge in Lagos, Portharcourt and even Abuja. If he had lodged in apartments will he still be required to receive a Female executive of an organization in verrander or at the reception?
What kind of Capital is Abuja? Is it an Islamic Country capital?

Next time, they should seize Professional married women international passports to
Prevent them from attending seminars or training abroad or make it mandatory for any organization inviting married women in Nigeria to invite them with their husbands.

We will leave the nairaland for their types. Nigeria is gradually getting to a point of decision. They can go and die with their vendetta, hatred and primitive behaviour.

k
Re: Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro by KingPure(m): 12:46am On Jun 23, 2023
Thank God that you're alive and well to be telling your story.

Now, for this moment and space, forget about sharia law, police rascality and the correctness of their actions, and please concentrate on the technicalities.

Is the hotel 3, 5, 7 star, or no 🌟?

Does the hotel possess a VIP/VVIP lounge?

Is your female friend of 15years now happily married or not? Lest I forget,

Is your female friend's motion restricted physically, as in, is she by any means on a wheelchair?

Your response to those questions would determine how truly you're serious with your life and "activism".

Perhaps, the fact that you later went to beg the DPO tells a whole different story entirely.
Re: Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro by Vietnaminfo(m): 12:48am On Jun 23, 2023
complexstuffs:

You never talk true. wetin Una sef dey find for Ashawo quarters.

Police all over the world always raid ASHAWO zones even in America and UK

While your perspective of our experience may vary, I have chosen to share only the details of what I and my friends personally encountered. I have no reason to fabricate or alter the account simply to cater to my readers' preferences.
Re: Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro by Uptheante(m): 8:28am On Jun 23, 2023
erniok:

On moral grounds, they should also go for office holders that abused their offices.
Abuse of office is a criminal offence according to the Constitution
Re: Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro by complexstuffs(m): 8:50am On Jun 23, 2023
Vietnaminfo:

While your perspective of our experience may vary, I have chosen to share only the details of what I and my friends personally encountered. I have no reason to fabricate or alter the account simply to cater to my readers' preferences.

No vex.. I no dey fight you. It was just a friendly advice.

Hanging around crime zones can be very dangerous. Many people have gotten into serious trouble from such. Some even lost their lives as they were stabbed to death. Police raid of ASHAWO and/or drug infested areas is not only legal but also an international procedure

I heard of a guy from PH who was sent to a course in the US. On a weekend, he decided to hang out and party with the boys only for all of them to be picked up during a police raid. Hard drugs were found on some of the guys and police subsequently locked them up. The guy was in police cell for days because he didn't have anyone to bail him. The training institute has to come and bail him but he couldn't continue his training because he had lost days while in police cell.

The training company then sent the police report to his company in PH as the reason they couldn't continue his training for him. The police report from the US was what his Nigerian company used to sack the guy.
Re: Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro by erniok(m): 9:30am On Jun 23, 2023
Uptheante:

Abuse of office is a criminal offence according to the Constitution
Just like this, it's both morally wrong and a criminal offence.
Re: Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro by Vietnaminfo(m): 10:37pm On Jun 24, 2023
complexstuffs:

No vex.. I no dey fight you. It was just a friendly advice.

Hanging around crime zones can be very dangerous. Many people have gotten into serious trouble from such. Some even lost their lives as they were stabbed to death. Police raid of ASHAWO and/or drug infested areas is not only legal but also an international procedure

I heard of a guy from PH who was sent to a course in the US. On a weekend, he decided to hang out and party with the boys only for all of them to be picked up during a police raid. Hard drugs were found on some of the guys and police subsequently locked them up. The guy was in police cell for days because he didn't have anyone to bail him. The training institute has to come and bail him but he couldn't continue his training because he had lost days while in police cell.

The training company then sent the police report to his company in PH as the reason they couldn't continue his training for him. The police report from the US was what his Nigerian company used to sack the guy.

I understand what you are saying and one thing is that Nigeria Police is always looking for means to extort people. They knew we are innocent and only after asking us to pay some amount of Naira.
Re: Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro by eodavids(m): 10:27am On Jun 29, 2023
professorPABX:

Why can't the husband put her in purdah and stopped her from working?

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have contributed anything here because I know some of you are very crude, uncivilized and primitive. On the other hand, before I stopped contributing to discussions on nairaland, I just have to say something here. He actually committed two offences by your primitive reasoning. 1. The region or tribe where he comes from. 2. The city where he committed the offence - ABUJA. Those are the two offences. All the jargons you wrote here is just hiding behind your long held vendetta or bitterness.

1. If the accused were to be from your region ( I have carried out due diligence on your profile) you and your sociocultural organization would have issued statement and read a riot acts. Prof Soyinka seating arrangement on a local flight some years back and the insult from a young man which all of you applauded is an example. If it were old Prof Achebe without a wheelchair that found himself in the same situation, all of you would have insulted and cursed the young man. Another example is a pregnant lawyer that was killed at Lekki by Police Officer, most of you were on the side of the Police officer but several years ago were some of your brothers were killed at Apo, Abuja under Obj government all your sociocultural organizations fought for Justice.

2. If the hotel were in Lagos or PortHarcourt, it would have been another story. There are apartments in Lagos, Abuja & PortHarcourt that people also lodge, but security considerations make people coming from abroad to lodge in suite in good hotels.

Finally, this is a warning to people in Development organizations and top management staff of Financial Institutions coming to Abuja not to have meetings with their colleagues in their suites or apartment.

NB : People talk about hotel bar or lobby. That is another crude & uncivilized mentality. If he had lodged in apartment is he still expected to receive visitors in the lobby if it exists? Is it everybody that lodged in suites that receives visitors at the lobby or bar?

I have some level of respect for you here because you make your points clear all times.

Pls, do you know "Modesto manifesto" and what it stands for?

Do you agree the principle holds value for all men of value in all societies?
Re: Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro by omotola90(m): 11:18pm On Jul 01, 2023
Vietnaminfo:

I understand what you are saying and one thing is that Nigeria Police is always looking for means to extort people. They knew we are innocent and only after asking us to pay some amount of Naira.
@vietnaminfo,are you still in austria? can i get your mail? i want to ask you some questions thank you
Re: Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro by Vietnaminfo(m): 8:11am On Jul 02, 2023
omotola90:
@vietnaminfo,are you still in austria? can i get your mail? i want to ask you some questions thank you

Avoid Austria if you don't have means to support yourself financially. A word is enough to the wise

2 Likes

Re: Police Arrested Me Because A Married Friend Visited My Hotel Room - Ayo Sogunro by Konquest: 9:52am On Apr 23
nlfpmod:
As shared by Human Rights Lawyer, Dr Ayo Sogunro.

So, about last weekend’s events.

I had come to Abuja to facilitate a human rights meeting with several NGOs and my accommodation was also booked at the hotel where the meeting would be taking place. 🧵

Soon as I landed, I sent messages to my friends in Abuja confirming that I was around.

As always, whenever I am in Nigeria, my friends would come welcome me at my accommodation, share a drink or two and generally gist. This time was no different.

For now.

One of them promised to stop by on her way home from work, also in the area.

Of the people I texted, she was the first to get to my place. I had checked into the hotel around 6.20pm and she got there around 6.40pm. Barely 15 minutes later, three police officers came to my door.

When the police arrived at my door, they asked to be let inside.

I denied them entrance and told them they had no authority to enter a private space without a warrant or a a clear just cause. Instead, they just pushed me aside and made their way in.

On seeing my friend, they asked her to come with them. We both asked why. The police replied that because my friend was a married woman, she should not have been in the hotel with me. I said this was ridiculous. She was a citizen of Nigeria and had a right to meet with anyone.

The officers insisted that she must come with them and so must I. For ‘questioning’.

I said, NO WAY. ON WHAT GROUNDS

If they wanted to arrest me, I would comply. But I would not voluntarily follow them to answer questions on unclear and unstated allegations.

This argument went back and forth for a while; one officer even started recording it on his phone. Some other police officers were called in as backup (making them about 6 total). A few of my other friends also arrived. Hotel management came in. It was becoming quite the scene.

Eventually, the officers got fed up with my refusal to voluntarily accompany them and then said they were putting me under arrest - still no clear allegation or reason.

My friend and I then followed them out of the hotel where a van was waiting and they took us to the station.

Up to this point, I still had my phone on me. I wasn’t touched or cuffed or assaulted by the officers. Our interaction throughout was verbal only. I was able to use my phone to make calls and alert people about what was unfolding.

But because I was still confused by what was going on - and the officers were not telling me who had sent them, how they discovered my room, or why I had been targeted (and also to forestall the worst) I sent out a series of tweets to alert the wider public.

But the police officers did not appreciate me putting the tweets out. At the station, they asked me to turn off my phone and hand it over. I did.

They asked me to write a statement - still with no context as to the charges - and I declined to do so without my lawyer present.

https://twitter.com/ayosogunro/status/1671556418938208261
Bump.

This is an incredible experience from the young lawyer, Ayo Sogunro.

Could the Abuja-based hotel staff have had a hand in secretly informing the police about the married lady's visit, OR could the married lady's husband be behind the police invitation to Ayo's hotel room? If this could happen to a qualified lawyer who knows his rights, then you can imagine what would have happened to a dude who barely knows the law or isn't a legal practitioner.

In any event, to be on the safe side, it's best to receive especially female associates in the hotel lobby of any hotel to prevent any unintended consequences such as false accusations of sexual assaults and more. Period.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Suspected Electric Cable Thief Electrocuted To Death In Lagos (Disturbing Photo) / Gunshots As Police, Okada And Keke Riders Clash In Ijora Lagos Over Ban / Delta Woman Stabs Man To Death During Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.