Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,876 members, 7,841,288 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? (2685 Views)

Nigeria Regains Cheapest Petrol In West Africa Title / Nigeria Ranks 22nd In Cheapest Petrol Prices Globally - Global Petrol Prices / Fact Check: Is Bola Tinubu Currently In France As Viral Videos Portray? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by jmoore(m): 8:26pm On Jul 20, 2023
Claim A claim by IPMAN that Nigeria has the cheapest petrol in Africa made headlines.
The National Public Relations Officer of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN), Yakubu Suleiman, has said that even with the sudden hike in the pump price of petrol in Nigeria, the country still has the cheapest price of the
product among other African countries.

Verification A quick check in Libya shows that the price of octane-95 gasoline is 0.15 Libyan Dinar per liter. 0.15 Libyan dinar is 0.032 dollars which is 25 naira.

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Libya/gasoline_prices/

Verdict: Libya has the cheapest petrol in Africa

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by jmoore(m): 8:27pm On Jul 20, 2023
The PR guy for IPMAN is related to Lai Lai Mohammed

21 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by richiemcgold: 8:31pm On Jul 20, 2023
N25 is approximately 0.3% of the current pump price.

..the difference is so wide and clear

5 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:33pm On Jul 20, 2023
I pity Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by Blake755: 8:54pm On Jul 20, 2023
A complete Shege is a Shege that goes round without segregation.

-Dr Unago C Shege 2023

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by nairalanda1(m): 8:56pm On Jul 20, 2023
Libya also has

6.8 million people

1.27 million barrels of crude a day...that translates to 101.6million dollars a day...

Which means if we split the money among Libyans that's about 15 dollars per libyan per day

Nigeria has

220 million people

1.6 million barrels of crude a day...that translates to 128 million dollars per day (more than Libya..but wait)

Which means if we split the money among Nigerians we get...0.6 dollars per day.

For Nigeria to be as rich as Libya we have to have a population of just 10 million people...a day.

That is why Libya can afford to keep fuel at N25 per liter.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by jmoore(m): 8:58pm On Jul 20, 2023
nairalanda1:
Libya also has

6.8 million people

1.27 million barrels of crude a day...that translates to 101.6million dollars a day...

Which means if we split the money among Libyans that's about 15 dollars per libyan per day

Nigeria has

220 million people

1.6 million barrels of crude a day...that translates to 128 million dollars per day (more than Libya..but wait)

For Nigeria to be as rich as Libya we have to have a population of just 10 million people...a day.

Who is bankrolling you?

When will you get tired of this?

30 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by nicedayontop: 8:59pm On Jul 20, 2023
Is Libya importing petrol like Nigeria? Definitely not.

4 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by ahiboilandgas: 9:01pm On Jul 20, 2023
nairalanda1:
Libya also has

6.8 million people

Nigeria has

220 million people

and they dont do mass smuggling of petrol like werey Nigerians.

5 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by nairalanda1(m): 9:03pm On Jul 20, 2023
jmoore:

Who is bankrolling you?

Well, I am being paid by the Secret Cabal on Mount Venus who pay me 3 tons of lithium and 2 tons of gold every day and deposit 2 million dollars by the hour in my bank account in Coutts every day...

If you are in the right, you should not feel threatened by my comments.

It is because you know that I am right that you are now attacking me as a 'government supporter' lol.

You guys, you have to learn that not everyone thinks the same way in this world. As for me, all this started in 2012, when I watched a government advert that pointed out that the poor don't really benefit from subsidy...right when Tinubu was screaming that GEJ was evil for removing subsidy.

I woke up then, have remained woke since.

You can pretend we can keep the subsidy, and I am sure tinubu would love to keep the subsidy, but keeping the subsidy has not benefited us in 50 years, so...

8 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by jmoore(m): 9:03pm On Jul 20, 2023
ahiboilandgas:

There is mass smuggling of petrol out of Libya.

Hush!!

5 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by ba7man(m): 9:04pm On Jul 20, 2023
jmoore:

Who is bankrolling you?

He is making sense.

You can either learn to be more objective or embrace your ignorance with passion.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by ogmask: 9:05pm On Jul 20, 2023
Na so dem wan take start the govt?
Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by nairalanda1(m): 9:07pm On Jul 20, 2023
ahiboilandgas:

By Jupiter, Ares and Minerva, I have news for you

The UN-recognised government of national unity, based in the Libyan capital Tripoli, announced on Thursday that it had carried out air strikes against smugglers' sites in the west of the country.

"Our national air force carried out (Thursday) morning precise and targeted air strikes against the hideouts of gangs of traffickers in fuel, drugs and human beings in the western coastal region", the Ministry of Defence said in a statement on Thursday.

The strikes carried out on the "orders of the head of government", Abdelhamid Dbeibah, "successfully hit their targets", it added in the text published on the Facebook page of the ministry's press office, which gave no further details of the locations targeted.

According to local media, the sites affected are on the outskirts of Zawiya, a coastal town 45 km west of the capital, which for several weeks has been the scene of clashes between armed groups engaged in human trafficking and other activities such as fuel smuggling

SAUCE

And...
Fuel smuggling is allegedly being carried out in the port of Benghazi in broad daylight, even as petrol stations in the city and elsewhere across the country run dry, showing how Libya’s hugely expensive fuel subsidy regime is malfunctioning. A recent auditor’s report has set out the costs of the wasteful system and pointed to billions of dollars of oil revenue that remain unaccounted for.

SAUCE

It is that bad.

1 Like

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by jmoore(m): 9:10pm On Jul 20, 2023
ba7man:
He is making sense.

You can either learn to be more objective or embrace your ignorance with passion.

What's the topic of this thread?

Ignorance is intentionally deviating from the topic to talk another thing.

5 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by adebayo987: 9:10pm On Jul 20, 2023
jmoore:
Claim A claim by IPMAN that Nigeria has the cheapest petrol in Africa made headlines.
The National Public Relations Officer of the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN), Yakubu Suleiman, has said that even with the sudden hike in the pump price of petrol in Nigeria, the country still has the cheapest price of the

Verification A quick check in Libya shows that the price of octane-95 gasoline is 0.15 Libyan Dinar per liter. 0.15 Libyan dinar is 0.032 dollars which is 25 naira.

the only thing wey remain na to blame past administrations for their bad governance

3 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by nairalanda1(m): 9:13pm On Jul 20, 2023
ba7man:
He is making sense.

He is not being ignorant, he is just angry that fuel subsidy has gone, and people are suffering as a result. He has a right to feel that way.

Personally, I would love it if we could have fuel at very cheap prices, even if it is for say people earning below a certain level...you get a card which you show at a station to buy fuel at a lower rate.

But the thing that makes me support subsidy removal, and I have supported it for 11 years, is that at the end, the deficit from maintaing the subsidy is rising and rising and rising..and it is making our debt situation worse.

At the end of the day, we have a choice. Either keep subsides, and reach a horrifying endgame in a few years where we get bailed out and dictated to by mother IMF, while still having to remove the subsidy anyway......or remove them, suffer for a long time, but long term see some possible investment and jobs.

The thing makes me sad in a way. We are between the proverbial rock and hard place. But when all of Obi, Atiku and Tinubu..the last two were subsidy supporters once upon a time..are saying subsidy must go in January 2023, something is up. Something is spooking them.....and if something is spooking them enough to say subsidy must go...I too got to be spooked.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by nairalanda1(m): 9:22pm On Jul 20, 2023
jmoore:

What's the topic of this thread?

Ignorance is intentionally deviating from the topic to talk another thing.

The purpose of this thread is to show that Nigeria should be selling fuel at that low a price.

1 Like

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by ba7man(m): 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2023
nairalanda1:

He is not being ignorant, he is just angry that fuel subsidy has gone, and people are suffering as a result. He has a right to feel that way.

Personally, I would love it if we could have fuel at very cheap prices, even if it is for say people earning below a certain level...you get a card which you show at a station to buy fuel at a lower rate.

But the thing that makes me support subsidy removal, and I have supported it for 11 years, is that at the end, the deficit from maintaing the subsidy is rising and rising and rising..and it is making our debt situation worse.

At the end of the day, we have a choice. Either keep subsides, and reach a horrifying endgame in a few years where we get bailed out and dictated to by mother IMF, while still having to remove the subsidy anyway......or remove them, suffer for a long time, but long term see some possible investment and jobs.

The thing makes me sad in a way. We are between the proverbial rock and hard place. But when all of Obi, Atiku and Tinubu..the last two were subsidy supporters once upon a time..are saying subsidy must go in January 2023, something is up. Something is spooking them.....and if something is spooking them enough to say subsidy must go...I too got to be spooked.
I'm honestly baffled at people's reaction to this subsidy removal.

For over 10yrs this topic has been discussed, people were actually ignorant not to realize this was exactly what was going to happen??

Same way when Sanusi and Madam Okonjo-Iweala were informing us about hard times to come due to reduction in our income and lack of savings, Nigerians had no idea this was exactly what they were talking about??

They were just singing along to subsidy removal without understanding it's real world implications despite the numerous explanations and illustrations made.

I'm sorry but other African countries are carrying their crosses as well so I guess we carry ours.

4 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by Throwback: 9:35pm On Jul 20, 2023
jmoore:

Who is bankrolling you?

Are you saying your brain is impervious to factual analysis presented in the argument?

Why not give a table of a unit price of PMS for all African countries, so we see if the Nigerian price is one of the lowest or one of the highest in Africa.

Already, we know ours is the lowest amongst our closest neighbours even as far West as Ghana and Ivory Coast.

2 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by Felabrity: 9:47pm On Jul 20, 2023
Let them keep distributing rubbish all in a bid to justify the hike
Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by jmoore(m): 9:49pm On Jul 20, 2023
Throwback:

Are you saying your brain is impervious to factual analysis presented in the argument?

Why not give a table of a unit price of PMS for all African countries, so we see if the Nigerian price is one of the lowest or one of the highest in Africa.

Already, we know ours is the lowest amongst our closest neighbours even as far West as Ghana and Ivory Coast.

I won't force every information into your skull.

Any person with common sense can see the link and follow it to learn more. Even the person that presented a different topic entirely didn't say Nigeria has the cheapest price.

The fact check was for a specific purpose which is obvious. So it's irrelevant to add information that has nothing to do with the topic.

1 Like

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by femicyrus(m): 9:57pm On Jul 20, 2023
jmoore:

Where is the so called market forces that only inflict pains on Nigerians ?
Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by MadamExcellency: 10:00pm On Jul 20, 2023
IPMAN too lie

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Angola/gasoline_prices/

Cheapest pms is sold mostly in African countries like
Libya
Algeria
Angola
Egypt

2 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by dangermouse(m): 10:21pm On Jul 20, 2023
They always spew cheap propaganda to defend their blunders. That's what they are good at, though only the gullible will buy in.

An oil producing country with no working refinery which should have being the first agenda any meaningful new government would have fixed before removing subsidy on petrol.

NB. Don't even go the Dangote refinery route. Its yet to be completed and will take more time to start functions.

2 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by workchopNG: 10:33pm On Jul 20, 2023
nairalanda1:

The purpose of this thread is to show that Nigeria should be selling fuel at that low a price.

No! The purpose of the thread is simple as A B C.
To counter the IPMAN claim that Nigeria has the cheapest petrol price in Africa.

That's simple. You might be right in what you're saying but it's totally different from the purpose of the thread.

If you think otherwise, then let me ask. If your son brings an assignment with the question... Which country has the cheapest petrol price in Africa?

Option 1: Nigeria
Option 2: Gambia
Option 3: Libya

Which will you select as the correct answer?
Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by Enskynelson(m): 10:49pm On Jul 20, 2023
nairalanda1:
Libya also has

6.8 million people

Nigeria has

220 million people

The post is not to justify or otherwise of the current price of fuel in Nigeria. It is rather trying to bring out the lies in the stament by the IPMAN chairman who claim fuel is cheapest in Nigeria as compared to all other African countries. Na people like u sabi divert during debates. 😂
Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by PapaNnamdi: 12:09am On Jul 21, 2023
nairalanda1:
Libya also has

6.8 million people

Nigeria has

220 million people

You are another living proof that school is not scam.

So when libya sells its crude they share it among the citizens??

Ah, this one don go ..
He nor even knw say the population na huge plus, smh
If the money is judiciously used on infrastructure for production,
Do you know how much Nigeria will produce and sell as forex,

Nawa oo delete your post abeg
Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by Zxcvbnmghtr: 12:28am On Jul 21, 2023
jmoore:

Who is bankrolling you?

When will you get tired? We know Obi no dey give Shishi that is why your complain is too much because you don't have money to buy fuel.
Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by Zxcvbnmghtr: 12:37am On Jul 21, 2023
workchopNG:

No! The purpose of the thread is simple as A B C.
To counter the IPMAN claim that Nigeria has the cheapest petrol price in Africa.

That's simple. You might be right in what you're saying but it's totally different from the purpose of the thread.

If you think otherwise, then let me ask. If your son brings an assignment with the question... Which country has the cheapest petrol price in Africa?

Option 1: Nigeria
Option 2: Gambia
Option 3: Libya

Which will you select as the correct answer?

He already stated the correct answer.

nairalanda1:

cheesy
Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by Yankee101: 12:38am On Jul 21, 2023
Even Egypt is cheaper
Most oil producing countries are much more cheaper than nigeria
Re: Fact Check: Is Nigeria Selling The Cheapest Petrol In Africa? by tbarrister(m): 12:50am On Jul 21, 2023
PapaNnamdi:

You are another living proof that school is not scam.

So when libya sells its crude they share it among the citizens??

Ah, this one don go ..
He nor even knw say the population na huge plus, smh
If the money is judiciously used on infrastructure for production,
Do you know how much Nigeria will produce and sell as forex,

Nawa oo delete your post abeg

You think you're wise but you're actually a slowpoke if you truly believe in the rubbish you posted.

Have you heard of per capita income or wealth distribution? In case you don't know , if you have 100 billion dollars revenue to take care of your 18m population that rely on oil. You can basically declare free education, free housing, free allowances for citizens etc as it was done in libya during maummar gadaffi. If you have 200 million people relying on oil then you might have a problem satisfying their needs as the revenue will inevitably be spread thin due to the geometrical population growth . The bigger the population the bigger the population increase , if not controlled.

Dude our population is one of our problems , there is a reason China used the one child policy to control its population before they emerged as a superpower.

If you have 2 kids , you can sponsor them to the highest level in the best schools and even support their careers financially but if you have 10 kids , you'll have to give them low quality education, little or no support and they will just put pressure on the system because they're unskilled.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jos Church Attack:suicide Bomber,cocin Member -dfence Hq. / Re: We Remember Differently By S. Kadiri / If You're In Kano, Watch What you Wear, They're Arresting people Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.