Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,141 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

The Anniversary - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Anniversary (244 Views)

Writers Arrive In Abuja For The Chinua Achebe's 10th Year Anniversary / Ana To Honor 10th Anniversary Of Chinua Achebe's Passing With Roundtable Discuss / Nwando, Chinua Achebe’s Daughter Marks Father’s 8th Death Anniversary (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Anniversary by Boredwriter: 4:19am On Sep 22, 2023
Hello guys
This is a short story I have been working on, do read enjoy and drop your thoughts.

Ruby
Today is our anniversary and he left this morning without saying anything about it. This morning he woke up got dressed and told me he had to be at work, I was like for God’s sake it’s Saturday I thought Saturdays are supposed to be work free day but I decided not to say anything but okay and watched him leave. I clearly do not understand what the hell is going on in my marriage, the past 4 to 6 months have been something else with my supposed best friend turned husband whom I married.
I have known Travis all my life we were childhood friends. Our mother’s were best friends from university days and their friendship continued even as they got married, so they ensured that their children got to know each other and become friends also. And even when my mother passed on when I was 12, thanks to cancer, his mother took up the responsibility and became a mother to me, well she has always been a mother to me anyways as she is my godmother.
And Travis has always been there for me right from childhood even though he was 2 years older. He has always been an awesome friend to me, He did fight for me back then in school and was there for me when I lost mom. I remember telling him how I felt when he took me out to celebrate his graduation from high school and he told me he felt same but he wouldn’t say it because he wasn’t sure how I saw him, like a brother or a friend. And we laughed over it cos I was like I have a brother already and I didn’t need an extra one. Since then we've been together only separated when we had to go out to different countries for our university education. And on the day I graduated from school he proposed to me, 3 months later we got married and now today makes it 2 years since our marriage and I’m all feeling alone on my marriage anniversary.
I didn’t want to think much about it so I got up from the chair I was sitting on to go get ready because mom called earlier and said she wanted to take me out to celebrate since I told her that Travis went out to work and I’m not doing anything for the anniversary. So I guess I’m spending my day with her. I do pray I don’t tell her that Travis is stressing me out emotionally or maybe she will just find out herself cos she’s good at that besides why won’t she, she is a psychologist.

Travis
"I already told my mom to get her out of the house and give her a treat and keep her till 7pm, so I guess that’s enough time to make all the arrangements that is needed" I asked the event planner I hired to help in surprising Ruby. I really hope she’s surprised tho cos this past few months has been kinda chaotic between us most of which is my fault but then a lot has been going on with work and it’s taking a whole lot from me but my wife doesn’t understand because I can’t even get the chance to explain cos whenever she’s annoyed she doesn’t listen she either quarrels with you or keeps quiet and avoids you and all I have done for sometime now is annoy her. But even at that she still tries to wait up for me till I get back and always ask me if I’m going to eat even when I told her to stop waiting up and most of the morning’s she shows that she’s pissed and I don’t even get to talk to her much cos I’m out again for work. I am really exhausted from work and my wife well I’m used to her, I know her all my life and I know she’s not an easy person to talk to when she’s annoyed so I just let her be but then I don’t like the way our marriage is going, I miss my best friend and lover so I decided to make an effort to avoid ruining my marriage and losing her. I do hope she sees it and acknowledges it, even though I know that by now she’s probably fuming from the fact that this morning I acted as though I forgot today was our anniversary.
Re: The Anniversary by Boredwriter: 3:18am On Sep 23, 2023
Helen
“And here comes my princess” I said as I stretched out my hands to hug her. “My baby is two years in marriage and I am so so proud of her” I said to her, she smiled and she looked so pretty and perfect just like my best friend Betty. “I know that Betty will be proud of you as well, come sit down”, I motioned to her and she sat down. I wondered why she was awfully quiet tho then I asked her if everything was fine, she replied that she was okay just that she wasn’t feeling the day and she wished to just stay inside. “Nonsense, you are going out with me and this your aura will change, come on today is your anniversary”, I said to her. “Well don’t worry just give me some minutes let me get my purse” then I went inside before she tries to change my mind cos I know she can.
Betty, her mom was my best friend right from first year in uni, we were best friend till she died and I promised to look after her children Adrian and Ruby, she always wished Ruby and Travis got married right from when we watched them grow up together and I guess her wish did come true even though she wasn’t there to witness it so I know she must be watching over us and smiling.
I really do miss her,more so because Ruby reminds me so much of her, especially when she smiles and her daughter Ruby is an all smiling, bubbling girl, the reason why I wonder why she’s kinda down. Maybe it’s because she thinks Travis forgot about the anniversary, well if it’s that then she has no worries. Anyways I’m just gonna ask her and I hope she tells me.
Re: The Anniversary by Boredwriter: 3:26am On Sep 23, 2023
Ruby
As I waited for mom I scrolled through my Instagram and I saw lots of comments on my Instagram post which I made earlier, it says "Two years in and it still feels like though it was yesterday I said yes to my best person in the world, Happy anniversary to us baby, it’s already a lifetime thing so need to say it and I’m really ecstatic of what the coming years hold for us, you know I love you forever and always babe" I posted it with a picture we took 4 months ago and I got sad all of a sudden realizing we haven’t taken a photo together since the last 4 months when there was a time that taking pictures and making videos was almost an everyday thing. As I saw a lot of "awwn's" and "wish to have a love like this" on the comments I felt worse cos they wouldn’t wish that, if they knew how I felt at this moment. Mom walked in and said “Sweetheart get up let’s go treat you nicely today cos the day is all about you”. I looked at her and said “mom today is supposed to be about me and my husband not just me, like am I not supposed to be out with my husband, why are you the one taking me out?”. She noticed my frustration and came to sit with me, then asked me “is that why you are sad my love?” I didn’t say anything then she said, “I promised not to involve myself in your marriage because both of you are my children and I never want to be in the position were I will have to take sides, it will be unfair to me but then it can’t be helped can it?”. Then she took my hand and asked me to tell her what the issue was and then I felt tears coming down as I narrated all that has happened and how I have been feeling, she hugged me and cleaned the tears from my eyes. Then she asked me “In all of this have you tried to sit him down and ask him what the problem was?”.
“I did try but he was just giving this work excuse so I just got annoyed and stopped asking”. I replied.
“Okay”, she paused then continued “Yes you asked but then you didn’t listen, they say a perfect relationship requires communication but me I will say of course it does require communication but most importantly it requires both party been ready to listen to each other. You said he told you what was wrong but you wouldn’t take it because you didn’t want to pay attention to what he was saying and listen to him, you were more concerned about yourself and wasn’t really concerned about him. Remember in marriage, the two shall become one so you are to act like you are one not two different people so you ought to listen to each other. I’m not saying this is entirely your fault but then you should also do your bit, so I will advice you to go back home and listen to your husband, find out what is going on okay”.
“Yes mom” I answered as I thought about what she said
“Alright then but first let’s go have a good time my baby” mom said as she stood up then I followed suit and we went out to go enter her car. As we drove out I thought about all she said and thought about how right she was. I remembered how on a certain day I was all angry and quarelling cos he came home late again, he told me that he’s got a lot going on at work that it was taking his time so he has been busy that was why he came back late. I told him that he didn’t just start working, he has been working before we got married, yet he had time for me so he should tell me something else, I even accused him of having some other girl, that was why he doesn’t have my time and he got angry, didn’t say anything and went to bed. That was two months ago and since then we’ve just been like housemates living together.
Thinking about it now, it has been my fault all these while, I refused to pay attention to him and try to find out what was going on, I never really listened to him when he spoke to me, I was more concerned on how his actions were affecting me rather than what was the reason for his actions.
Mom and I spent quite a time shopping then went to the salon and spa before we headed back, I couldn’t go back to get my car so I asked mom to drop me off at home that I will come for the car the next day. She did that, I got down and brought out all the things I got while shopping from the car, when I went inside I was shocked by what I saw.
Re: The Anniversary by Boredwriter: 4:56am On Sep 24, 2023
Travis
My beautiful wife came in with the things she got from her shopping with mom and as she walked in I could see how shocked she was so I walked over to meet her with the bouquet in my hand and said “Happy anniversary my Ruby” then I kissed her forehead. I could feel her tearing up so I hugged her, she had already dropped the things she was carrying. “I’m sorry baby I know I have been so far away from you, It wasn’t intentional, I never meant to make you feel sad, you know that’s the last thing I will ever do”. I said as I wiped the tears off her face and kissed her lips. “Please forgive this stupid guy who is so in love with you but has been such an asshole” I pleaded.
She smiled and said “ Please forgive this your baby girl who had been so insensitive to what you were going through and had been such an asshole too”.
I kissed her and said “Come on baby you did nothing, this is on me” I hugged her again and said sorry then we kissed and I led her further into the sitting room, I picked up a bag on the chair and gave it to her, I told her to go put it on for dinner. She opened the bag and said “wow so you planned this with mom right cos I remember picking this dress this afternoon”. I laughed, “well I did, mom sent the dress and shoes after you guys left the boutique”.
“She really made it look like she was spending my anniversary with me when all she was doing was getting me out of the house for you”. Ruby said and I laughed
“Well that’s my mom she has to do whatever her son wants ain’t that right” she smiled and hit my head, she walked towards the room to go change her clothes.
She came back 30 minutes later looking really beautiful. “My wife is the most beautiful woman on earth and I’m so lucky to have her” I said, she smiled then i walked over to meet her and kissed her.
We took pictures and made videos before we started eating, while we were eating I told her all that has been going on with work, why it has been taking all of my time and she felt so sad for how she has been handling it and apologized for it. We laughed over the many scenarios that had happened with her especially the day she said I was interested in another girl, I made sure I used her exact words to tease her then I told her that she was the only woman I see, that it was impossible to have another girl cos everything about her was engraved in my heart already, more like I was intoxicated by her and I can’t get her out of my system. She then kissed me and said “I love you so much Travis”.
When we finished eating we gisted about other things that has been going on , we laughed, then I suggested we danced and I played Ed sheeran’s perfect. We moved to the rhythm of the song as we were consumed by each other’s presence then I whispered on her ears “I Love you”.

The End........

1 Like

Re: The Anniversary by Boredwriter: 4:57am On Sep 24, 2023
That's it guys please read and tell me what you think. I'm very much open to corrections. Thank you

1 Like

Re: The Anniversary by Boredwriter: 2:43am On Jan 08
Hello people kiss
Re: The Anniversary by BlackRainDrops: 1:29pm On Apr 18
I think it's a splendid story coming from a splendid writer. Keep it up! You're doing well.

1 Like

Re: The Anniversary by Boredwriter: 2:24pm On Apr 18
BlackRainDrops:
I think it's a splendid story coming from a splendid writer. Keep it up! You're doing well.
Thank you very much🤗

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

7 Social Media Tips For Authors / Nikelloblog Facts / Call For Submission: The Third Chinua Achebe Essay/poetry Anthology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.