Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy (13129 Views)

Wale Edun: Only 5% Of Nigerians Have Over β‚¦β€Ž500k In Their Bank Accounts / Wale Edun Gets World Bank Appointment / Wale Edun: With Fuel Subsidy Removal, FG Has Ended Borrowing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by Seun(m): 10:31am On Feb 24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNf97-hy7Gw

Our Finance Minister, Mr. Wale Edun, who is responsible for fiscal policy, appeared on ChannelsTV to share his plans to improve the Nigerian economy:

1) Giveaways. He spent half of his time talking about giveaways. He feels most of the excess naira in circulation has gone to the rich, so he wants to share more excess naira with the poor as well. 🀐

2) To plug revenue leakages by channelling all revenue directly to the FG and disbursing expenditures directly to intended recipients without intermediaries who might embezzle the money. βœ”οΈ

3) To increase tax collection by 70% this year without increasing tax rates and eliminating some types of tax that are unnecessary. βœ”οΈ

4) He want to pay back Ways & Means by looking for new sources of revenue. I felt that his explanation of how that would be achieved was vague. It's unlikely to happen after CBN's data showed an increase in W&M. ❌

5) Collaborating with CBN by increasing interest rates to attract FPI. I find this to be short-sighted if attracting hot money is the perceived benefit of raising interest rates and not the reduction of inflation, & FDI. Also, our real interest rates are still negative, so how will this work? ❌

Overall, Mr Edun has some decent ideas but his overall plan is inadequate to solve our problems.

I recommend inviting the economists who spoke at Proshare's Economist Conference to Abuja for a retreat where they can help him to develop a comprehensive plan that might actually work.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by successmatters(m): 10:32am On Feb 24
Wale Edun is only groping in the dark, wallowing in confusion.

For me, I don't expect much from anyone who is brazen enough to steal power, no good policies can come from a fraudulent mandate, a cursed administration and a soiled national image.

Brace up people, they will promise too much but their past is still pursuing them.

7 and half more years.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by stano2(m): 10:35am On Feb 24
Emiefiele Policy if done with 100% transparency will really help.
Mop up the excess Naira circulating

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by CharleyBright(m): 10:35am On Feb 24
Hmmm.
Talk, Talk and all talks, with little or nothing to show while the economy is on a down-slide at a speed never seen before.
What the heck is all this gibberish any help to the poor and hungry masses?
Nigerians are hungry and the first thing on their mind is how to cope and feed with their income unable to buy foodstuff with soaring prices.
First thing to do is find means to flood the market with grains (rice, bean, corn, millet) at subsidized prices. Look for every means to crash the prices of this items. Buy them off producers in the farms and sell them cheaply thru committee boards. Once the citizens can feed, you have taken off a huge load of your shoulder and averted Natuonal crisis.

Secondly, try to crash the FX rate. Go after those hoarding Dollars including the Tinubu family. It is time for Tinubu to open the Vaults he has in Bourdillon and release the dollars he has been hoarding. Him and Atiku are part of the problem of dollars. The cleaning of the system should start from their homes. Go after the banks. They are doing round tripping and and hoarding Dollars. Raid their vaults and force them to release the dollars.

Thirdly, the FG should ban all transaction of businesses in Dollars within Nigeria. All those Stores, Business Centres and Schools receiving payments exclusively in Dollars Must Stop. Failure to do so should attract closure of such businesses.

Fourthly, the FG should make law that stipulate that no individual should keep dollar at home exceeding N5000.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by inoki247: 10:35am On Feb 24
Lol everything looks good on paper until you try them and it worked...

Nigerians are different breed that only wants to milk the loopholes of every policy...

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by dayleke: 10:36am On Feb 24
I laugh in Chinese

grin grin
Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by datopaper(m): 10:36am On Feb 24
Nigerians need wisdom to be a great nation. Which government Nigerians no dey abuse? Which government better pass? We need wisdom to win the race.

1 Like

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by iwaeda: 10:36am On Feb 24
Seun:

Our Finance Minister, Mr. Wale Edun, who is responsible for fiscal policy, appeared on ChannelsTV to share his plans to improve the Nigerian economy:

1) Giveaways. He spent half of his time talking about giveaways. He feels most of the excess naira in circulation has gone to the rich, so he wants to share more excess naira with the poor as well. 🀐

2) To plug revenue leakages by channelling all revenue directly to the FG and disbursing expenditures directly to intended recipients without intermediaries who might embezzle the money. βœ”οΈ

3) To increase tax collection by 70% this year without increasing tax rates and eliminating some types of tax that are unnecessary. βœ”οΈ

4) He want to pay back Ways & Means by looking for new sources of revenue. I felt that his explanation of how that would be achieved was vague. It's unlikely to happen after CBN's data showed an increase in W&M. ❌

5) Collaborating with CBN by increasing interest rates to attract FPI. I find this to be short-sighted if attracting hot money is the perceived benefit of raising interest rates and not the reduction of inflation, & FDI. Also, our real interest rates are still negative, so how will this work? ❌

Overall, Mr Edun has some decent ideas but his overall plan is inadequate to solve our problems.

I recommend inviting the economists who spoke at Proshare's Economist Conference to Abuja for a retreat where they can help him to develop a comprehensive plan that might actually work.

Jehun soke method and template. Make people poorer and extremely poor. 1kg of rice will look like salvation. APC have no plan than wreck havoc on the nation. grin grin grin grin grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by Anguldi(m): 10:37am On Feb 24
Another gazelle gragra tongue
He's Ment sad

2 Likes

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by alpharoyalty: 10:38am On Feb 24
It's nothing short of trial and error.

2 Likes

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by Cassandraloius: 10:38am On Feb 24
Weird
Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by israelmao(m): 10:38am On Feb 24
Nigeria's economy needs experts who can think right on their feet at this moment not experimental and theoretical economists because every split of second counts for the rejuvenation of her bartered and shredded economy under the leadership of the dumbest and most clueless president Nigeria had ever had who has since retired to his Daura home.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by gratiaeo(m): 10:38am On Feb 24
What different do they want to do that they have not done people have lost hope on Tinubu failed government

2 Likes

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by bigdammyj: 10:39am On Feb 24
Listening…
Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by free2ryhme: 10:39am On Feb 24
Seun:

I'm smart with my mouth but never with my
results - says every Nigerian government official
for the last 70years.

3 Likes

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by Stevenson20: 10:40am On Feb 24
Overrated modafuckers.
They have absolutely nothing to offer.

2 Likes

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by 4Play(m): 10:40am On Feb 24
Collaborating with CBN by increasing interest rates to attract FPI. I find this to be short-sighted if attracting hot money is the perceived benefit of raising interest rates and not the reduction of inflation, & FDI. Also, our real interest rates are still negative, so how will this work? ❌

Increasing interest rates is vital as a way to cool inflation as you can't fight inflation with interest rates which are below the rate of inflation. Attracting portfolio inflows would be an added bonus.

In addition, they need to curb government spending and money supply growth as this is fueling inflation and Naira depreciation. Increasing the supply of naira leads to increased demand for dollars.

So it's not so much about directing spending to the poor (if they can do that, great) but curbing the growth in government spending.

PS: Ultimately, they need a quick and sizeable injection of forex which they can source from the IMF.

9 Likes

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by Donedeal1(m): 10:40am On Feb 24
The government is trying it's own parts

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by Eriokanmi: 10:40am On Feb 24
Seun:

Don't mind these guys Seun. They're at their wit's end.. confused set of people
Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by visionsen(m): 10:41am On Feb 24
Mr. Edu should work with the recently appointed monetary committee then let's see how it goes.

1 Like

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by andy244: 10:41am On Feb 24
Ebin pawa oo

1 Like

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by CyberHustle: 10:41am On Feb 24
At least he has a plan he is willing to present to the people.
How will he get to the poor without going through the rich and have them hijack the aid again?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by Dream25: 10:41am On Feb 24
stano2:
Emiefiele Policy if done with 100% transparency will really help.
Mop up the excess Naira circulating
Which Emefiele policy?..
Why do you guys like deceiving yourself like this?

6 Likes

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by Zupay: 10:41am On Feb 24
When people analyze what he said and them lay bare for others to see it really worth, some would say you hate Nigeria but thank God, God does not punish anybody for what He himself knows is the truth.
Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by owiko(m): 10:41am On Feb 24
They should get to work already.

1 Like

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by money121(m): 10:41am On Feb 24
Ok
Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by Sccarrr: 10:41am On Feb 24
dayleke:
I laugh in Chinese

grin grin
whats funny? We know ppl like don't even understand half of what's said.. u just don't want any good fr d country...team in saner climes yen yen yen
Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by Mandate1: 10:42am On Feb 24
Seun:

you see that tax collection increase, that's the primary concern of this govt. But unfortunately, you can't tax a population of people who don't have and whose means of livelihood has nosedived. Tax increment should come from creating public utilities. In Nigeria, it's the reverse.

For me, a productive nation should be interested in taxing 20m #10, 000 each, than tax 5m people 20,000 each. Nigeria should be more concerned about creating prosperity, not just tax tax tax.

Yes, govt needs more revenue, but we have to be careful not to tax people into poverty. I think president Tinubu needs to revisit his policies.

3 Likes

Re: Wale Edun's Plans To Improve The Nigerian Economy by AbuTwins: 10:42am On Feb 24
May God help us all!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Labaran Maku And His Team Visit Aregbesola / Kaduna State Held LG Polls In 2018 And In 2021 Using Electronic Voting Machines / Ondo Governorship: Mimiko Turns To President Jonathan For Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.