Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,754 members, 7,840,941 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

The Life And Times Of Samuel Okwaraji - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Life And Times Of Samuel Okwaraji (86 Views)

Super Eagles Remember Samuel Okwaraji Who Died While Playing Against Angola / NFF Remembers Samuel Okwaraji (Photos) / Samuel Okwaraji Died 32 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Life And Times Of Samuel Okwaraji by Kokination: 2:18pm On Mar 29
LIFE AND TIMES OF SAMUEL OKWARAJI
https://kokination.com/life-and-times-of-samuel-okwaraji/

Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji was born on the 19th day of May 1964 in Umudioka Orlu Imo State Nigeria by By Mr. David Okwaraji. His parents worked with the defunct Nigeria Airways as a Duty Officer and Lady Janet Okwaraji being a retired school headmistress.

Samuel Okwaraji has four brothers and two sisters. He spoke English, German, Italian, Spanish and Igbo.
He attended WTC Practicing School Enugu where he did his primary education and Ezeachi Secondary School Orlu in Imo State for his secondary Education. Samuel Okwaraji played professional football internationally for Nigeria and wore the number 6 jersey. He also played for clubs in Europe. He played in the midfield position.

In addition to being a footballer, he was a lawyer and he obtained his masters degree in international law from the Pontifical Lateran University of Rome.
One thing he will be remember for is his quote where pledged allegiance to his country showing his great love for his nation Nigeria. He said ‘I am a Lawyer you know and signed to play football for certain conditions but I don’t think it included reselling my service to my country. You or your club cannot stop me from playing for my country. Let me tell you, I am going to represent my country whether you like it or not.

Samuel Okwaraji Football Career
Okwaraji had a football career in Europe which included playing for AS Roma (1984-1985), NK Dinamo Zagreb (1985-1986), Austria Klagenfurt (1986-1987), VfB Stuttgart (1987-1989) and SSV Ulm 1846 (loan) (1987-1988) while finishing his education in law.

In his short stay with Dinamo Zagreb, Samuel scored 3 goals in a friendly game vs NK Budućnost Hodošan. The game was played on 30 April 1986, and Dinamo Zagreb won 12-0. Samuel’s only official game for Dinamo in the Yugoslav First League was as a substitute on 18 May 1986 against FK Priština. The game was played at Maksimir stadium in Zagreb, the 29th round of 1985/86 season. Dinamo Zagreb won 4:3.

Samuel Okwaraji
He joined the Green Eagles and made the squad in 1988. At that year’s African Nations Cup where he scored one of the fastest goals in the history of the championship against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon. He played along until the final match. The Eagles lost to their perennial rivals Cameroon by a lone goal. Okwaraji also made 4 appearances for the Nigerian Olympic team in 1988. One was during the qualifiers, and 3 at the Olympics themselves in Nigeria´s 3 games in the group D.

Read more here https://kokination.com/life-and-times-of-samuel-okwaraji/

(1) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua To Fight Tyson Fury This Year - Boxing Promoter, Eddie Hearn Rev / 2 Goals Ahead Early Payout Offer / Madrid Vs Man City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.