Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,551 members, 7,816,339 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) (1176 Views)

Thomas Jefferson: The 3rd US President, Who Couldn't Live Without Books. / Bossing The Boss: A Motivational Story. / They Couldn't Go To Prom, So They Brought Prom To Them! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 9:44pm On Apr 09
COULDN'T PRETEND
😫😫😫😫😫😫

WRITTEN BY A SLAYQUEENWRITES
🪂🪂🪂🪂🪂🪂🪂

SYNOPSIS

Folake has finally gotten a job after a long time of searching. But a new challenge arises.

Having worked for just a week in the sales department of a dignified established, she's supposed to stand in for the Manager's secretary who is away on maternity leave.

Trouble brews as she realized that the manager is the same guy that she had crossed paths with on her first day at the office; a pompous, arrogant brat who puts on airs and makes everyone cower in fear.

Will she take up this role or quit her new job?
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 9:48pm On Apr 09
COULDN'T PRETEND
😫😫😫😫😫😫😫

WRITTEN BY A SLAYQUEENWRITES
🪂🪂🪂🪂🪂🪂🪂🪂

EPISODE 1

Hi, my name is Folake and I'm best friends with a crazy girl named Justina.

I'm twenty eight years old and currently out of work. I live in Lagos anyway.

Been out job hunting for close to a month now and today's no different as I'm returning from an interview which has flopped already.

“Anything to eat?” I asked Tina as I slumped tiredly on the foam.

“Yeah I made spaghetti since morning but it's all cold sha.” Tina responded passively as she kept busy with painting her long nails.

At the mention of 'spaghetti', I sprang up from my position and rushed out of the room towards the kitchen.

I returned with a plate of the spaghetti in my left hand and a fork in my right hand.

There's too much salt in the food but I dared not mention it to her.

“How was your interview today girlfriend?” She asked as I sat down on the foam managing the salty lunch while she fanned her now painted nails with paper.

“Tina, I don tire for this country sef. There were like thirty others applying for the same position.” I stated in defeat and Tina shook her head slowly in pity.

“So have you taken a second thought about what I said earlier on?” She asked after a while. I knew exactly what she was talking about.

“Tina, it's hard oh, this man in question has a wife unlike your own who's wife is no more.”

“C'mon girl, it's not like you are going into something serious or long term with him anyway. Just the weekend and you're out with plenty of cash which you can use to start a business.” She pressed on.

After minutes of vigorously convincing me, I yielded and agreed to do exactly what she said.

Now don't get confused, Tina who's just twenty six, is dating a sixty five years old chief who pampers and dotes on her like kilode.

In her own way of helping me out, she's trying to hook me up with one of chief's friends.

I've refused to take up a job at Chief's company just in case they break up and he fires me or tries anything funny with me.

Honestly, I don't trust that potbellied crook.

Fast forward to Friday night...

I was dressed up in one of Tina's most modest mini dresses. Later on, chief's driver arrived to pick us up.

As nervous and uncomfortable as I felt, I managed to laugh and calm my nerves even though this man appeared to be older than chief self.

My people, na frustration dey carry me waka reach this stage.

We sat and drank for a while until Tina and chief left together leaving me alone with him. I don't even remember this man's name.

I felt disgusted with myself for ever agreeing to something like this initially. I felt like some cheap runs girl on the street.

When he asked me to spend the night with him in his hotel room, I told him that we'd get down the next day as I wasn't feeling so well tonight.

He offered to drop me off at home but I quickly turned him down.

I ended up going home that night in a taxi with thirty thousand naira as my transport courtesy of whatever-his-name-is.

As I sat in the taxi, my mind was made up never to see that man again.

I'd never forgive myself if I dared to do anything with him. Good Lord! I let him place his hand on my lap, so disgusting!

Tina returned the next morning looking so excited like she'd hit the jackpot.

After drinking water, she started narrating all that chief promised to put together on her birthday which was barely a week ahead.

“He asked me to name anything I want for my birthday!” She squealed.

“And what did you ask for?” I asked with so much interest.

“A house in Lekki.” She said dreamily clasping her palms together.

“Oh my world!” I yelled excitedly as she squeezed me in a tight hug.

My cue came, and I had to narrate my own part of what went down yesterday night after she left with Chief.

Just like I guessed, Tina was really furious for turning chief's friend down but it had no effect on me whatsoever. It's my life and I get make those decisions on what I actually want to do.

We finished up with cleaning around the house, making breakfast, before I decided to go and submit an application letter for an opening I saw last night on Facebook.

I returned in the afternoon and couldn't find Tina at home. I'm sure she's out somewhere with Chief.

Two weeks Later...

Like you can guess, we're already in the new house.

A lavishly furnished one-storey building with a long tarred driveway, beautiful trees, a small swimming pool, a Gateman who also doubled as security.

There were other flats in the premises but ours was the sole storey building.

I even have an entire room to myself which is almost the size of the former apartment that we lived in.

These days, the only thing that Tina does is to tweet, make videos for her IG, go live and take selfies. And when she's not doing any of those things, she's out enjoying herself with Chief in different parts of the world.

Having learned my lesson, I dared not follow her to any of those places no matter how much fun she was having. I had a gut feeling that it just wouldn't last.

She's treading on a very tight rope, a dangerous path and I try to point that out to her every now and then but I dared not push it too much as I'm living under her roof, getting fed by her and I even wear her clothes.

This is the main reason why I'm so serious about finding a job and regaining independence.

“I'm ready to leave now girl, wish me well.” I said as I walked down the stairs and found Tina in the spacious sitting room taking selfies.

“Please, before you step out, just help me snap one or two.” She requested handing me her brand new iPhone.

I scoffed inwardly as I gently received the sleek device from her and started snapping as she kept changing styles.

I'm sure that I'd snapped up to hundreds as I finally returned the phone to her and hurried out of the house for my interview before I run late.

On arrival at the interview location which was not so far from the new house, I did the sign of the cross, before walking into the building with some confidence, holding my head up.

“Good morning Sir, please where is the interview holding?” I asked one fine bobo that I met coming down the stairs since the ground floor was completely empty including the receptionist's desk.

“Follow me.” Was all he said after a little hesitation which he took to look closely at me before turning round and jogging back up the stairs.

He was going so fast that I had to practically run to keep up with his pace.

“There!” He said pointing to a room with a bunch of people already sitting on waiting chairs.

“Thank you so much.” I said but he turned round and hurried off without saying anything in response.

So grumpy! Great way to make me nervous before an interview.

I found myself a seat and waited for the interview to actually begin and my name to be called.

My turn came, I went in and sat before the panel which consisted of not-so-young ladies who were not smiling at all.

Honestly, the people in this company have no sense of humor at all.

Praying that I get this job since, the applicants present were not that much anyway.

When I came down, I saw that guy who showed me around earlier getting down from a flashy Mercedes looking like he owned the place.

I shook my head at how pompous he was carrying himself and my mouth was turned down as I walked off in the opposite direction to prevent him from seeing me again. He made me feel so awkward the other time.

He was a really hot boy and I really took my time to feast my eyes on his good looks just in case I don't get the job which means I'll never see him again.

READ EPISODE 2 HERE:
https://lalaspov..com/2022/08/couldnt-pretend-episode-2.html?m=1
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 9:22am On Apr 10
EPISODE 2

Saturday Morning...

“Lala! Lala!! Wake up and see something!” Tina yelled directly into my ear.

“You're gonna burst my ear drum Tina, go away!” I protested sleepily feeling for a pillow to throw at her.

“You got the job Folake, look!” She announced and immediately, sleep disappeared and I sat up like the Undertaker with eyes and ears wide open like an antelope's while she kept reading the message on my phone screen.

It felt too good to be true as I sprang up from the bed and snatched the phone from her to confirm.

For real, I got the job! I jumped up in excitement and hugged her feeling so overwhelmed with joy.

Everything was done with much excitement throughout the day as I ironed out some clothes to wear to work on Monday.

Tina was so happy for me and even donated a brand new palazzo pants that she's never worn before.

Great! That's exactly what I'll be wearing on my first day.

Tina left on Sunday night to be with chief while I slept alone in the big house anticipating the sound of my alarm.

It's sometimes scary sleeping in this big house all alone so I stayed awake most of the night.

I fell asleep around one in the morning and was thankful that I didn't sleep through the alarm that I'd set on my phone.

By the time I got ready to leave for work, Tina wasn't yet back so I didn't bother making eba for her since she doesn't eat cold or reheated eba.

“Good morning, please how can I get to the sales department?” I asked the receptionist who was present at her desk today.

“Morning, hold on let me call someone to come and take you there.” She responded courteously.

Politeness! That's something new in this very serious organization.

Within a minute, a short lady in very high heeled shoes walked towards us and said hi in a really friendly manner. Even better!

The receptionist asked her to help me out with directions before returning to whatever she was doing on her computer.

The short lady who's name is Amarachi or 'Ama' in it's shortest form is an inside sales rep and knows everything and everyone in this organization.

She told me everything I needed to know as well as the things and people that I had to avoid here.

“See that one in tight red skirt, she considers herself a queen in this department, avoid getting in her way.” She warned and I nodded as she further explained that the girl in red skirt is a team leader in the sales department which happens to be my department.

“Hope you're taking notes?” She inquired and I nodded with a broad smile.

I've been hired as a sales assistant which means that I'm going to be wiping the noses of these sales reps, the team leaders and everyone else up to the sales manager.

“Remind me to show you the GM and the HR later during lunch break. They are the company's version of Tom and jerry.” She went on reducing the last part to a whisper which made me chuckle.

“They dated once upon a time until they broke up because of her jealousy. Rumors have it that she didn't want GM to even respond to another female's greetings. The poor guy eventually got fed up with her attitude and they went their separate ways. Since then, things haven't been the same between them.” She narrated and I kept nodding.

Bottom line is; men hate it when women get too clingy and possessive so I totally understood.

“And this is Promise, team leader in charge of new recruits. He's one of the few good guys around here.” She said as we got closer to a fresh looking guy who shook my hand and showed me an empty desk to occupy.

Promise and Ama both took time to educate me on the dos and don'ts of the organization before giving me my very first assignment to perform which was photocopying and printing.

It was relieving that I didn't have to face the HR or department head to receive an appointment letter as it was already signed and sent to my mail ready for printing.

Promise and Ama didn't bother introducing me to the rest of the team as it seemed that everyone here had something against the other.

The first day is always a tough one. I had no breathing room as my heartless co-workers loaded me with work. I had to miss lunch break, also missing the opportunity for more exploration with Ama.

After what felt like forever, it was a whole lot of minutes past five and I finally got off work. What a first day it was!

Promise is directly responsible for training any new recruit in the department but he left all of that to Ama.

Ama and a couple others were having some sort of meeting so I just waved her goodbye and made my way down the stairs passing a couple of others also heading out.

As soon as I found my way outside the building, I saw that grumpy guy resting on the hood of that same flashy Mercedes chatting and laughing heartily with another guy.

So even devil dey laugh? Mtchew!

My legs weighed tons as I took slow steps since I had to walk past them to get to the gates.

Well, as it turns out, they didn't even notice me as they kept talking and laughing even harder than before.

I overheard the other one talking about Chelsea losing their match during the weekend. Typical male conversation!

At least, my first day was smooth and successful.

I crossed to the other side of the road, got into a taxi and went home.

The gateman informed me that Tina didn't return yet so I decided to give her a call.

She told me that she and chief are currently in Abuja where Chief had a very important meeting to attend.

Poor me! I'm going to be alone in this big house all night again.

I got changed, warmed up the little remaining soup and ate before washing the pot and returning to look at some of the assignments I'd brought home.

Going to bed around ten tonight, I had so many plans for the next day.

It was as if it was just a ten minute nap when my phone's alarm started screaming indicating that it's five o'clock and time for me to get a move on.

A few minutes to eight, I appeared before the receptionist's desk, signed the time book and found my way to the sales department.

The girl who was in red skirt yesterday was the first person I greeted today but she didn't even say anything in reply.

Ama and Promise arrived together about five minutes later. There's this chemistry between them and I suspected that something was going on between them but I dared not ask.

It was just too soon for me to ask such questions since I didn't know how she'd take it.

Today was a little less pressing than yesterday and I had time for lunch.

“There are two canteens here. One for the big boys and girls and the other for us pawns.” She explained and we walked into the already crowded room which looked like a secondary school dining hall.

I mean I knew that it's a big organization with branches in other cities but I had no idea how many staff we had in this branch.

Promise was already seated. Ama and I joined him and we ordered for our own food.

In a few minutes, we were done with our food and I had this urge to pee.

Ama wasn't ready to get up and show me the way to the restroom so I was on my own here.

I left the canteen and after a little bit of wandering around, I found the restroom, eased myself and walked back up the stairs. That's how I met him on the stairs again. Oh no!

©A SLAYQUEEN WRITES 2024

Read Episode 3 Here>> https://lalaspov..com/2024/04/couldnt-pretend-episode-3.html?m=1
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by Aprishyn06(m): 1:33pm On Apr 10
Following!
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by miracle98(f): 8:37pm On Apr 11
Well done Authoress.
Waiting for the next episode.
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by Crestaria: 3:37pm On Apr 12
This is nice. More please.

Well done
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 4:50pm On Apr 13
My frail heart skipped a beat or two as I came face to face with the guy who I met on these very stairs on the day of my interview.

“Good afternoon.” I greeted warmly.

“Afternoon.” He muttered and kept descending the stairs engrossed in whatever was going on in his phone. He walked past me and his arm brushed against mine. Heart attack!!

“Do you remember me?” I asked in a voice that was loud enough for him to hear me.

“No!” That was his only response. So annoying.

“Maybe he doesn't know how to make sentences.” Ama drew her conclusion after I was done narrating all of the encounters with this guy.

Work was done for the day and we were taking a minute to unwind before heading downstairs.

“Yeah maybe. But then how did he get a job here?” Promise queried with both hands raised.

“Yeah, right.” Ama said slowly and picked up her handbag from the desk.

“Describe this guy if you don't mind.” Promise continued as we started our journey out of the office.

“He's got brown skin,very low cut hair and a whole lot of well trimmed beards. Oh, and a body from the gym as well.” I described with a shrug.

“There's more than ten people who match that description here girl.” Promise said helplessly.

“Must be one of those low lives from the accounting department. They love to walk over people so do yourself a favor, next time you see him, just act like he's another little speck of dust which you don't happen to see.” Ama suggested and gave me a wink.

We got outside and said our good-byes as I crossed to the other side of the road as usual and got into a taxi.

On getting home today, I met Tina asleep on the couch with headphones in her ears.

I shook her to wake up. She was so excited to see me and was equally as eager to tell me all that she did and saw on her trip to Abuja.

On my part, I also narrated to her all of my experiences at work and the craziness of my fellow workers there.

Later that evening, chief sent a driver to drop her off at one of these Lagos big girls' birthday party and security to look after her.

Tina is now a big girl oh! Rich sugar daddy, big house in Lekki, latest iPhone and expensive designer clothes, shoes and every other thing that is trending out there.

She even told me that chief was planning to buy her a Rolls-Royce before the year runs out.

I wonder the type of strong jazz that she's using on this man.

“We're out of paper Folake, I need you to go down to storage and get more reams.” One of the sales reps whose name I couldn't remember ordered and I nodded while inwardly spitting in her face for what it's worth.

Storage unit was also where the heavier photocopying and printing tasks of the company were done.

I returned in a flash since it was almost time for lunch and I didn't want Ama and Promise to leave without me.

On our way to lunch, that was when we saw Mr grumpy and the sales manager who happens to be a lady laughing and walking towards the staircase together.

“The big dogs are off to lunch at an off-site location while puppies gotta pay for whatever the nasty canteen operators are cooking.” Ama said in a whisper before we walked into the canteen but I was too shocked to say anything.

“That's the guy I've been telling you about na. The one with SM.” I finally opened my mouth as we sat down waiting for our order to arrive.

“You mean the supposed slowpoke who couldn't even say more than two words at a blow?” Promise asked in panic and I nodded in affirmation. The shock on both faces was getting me scared.

“That is the general manager!” Ama and Promise chorused in a bit of a yell making the people on the next table look at them like they were crazy.

My mouth went wide instantly as plenty thoughts ran through my mind.

“Are you two serious about this?” I asked chewing on my bottom lip nervously.

“Of course girl. If you'd mentioned that his car is a fancy black Mercedes, it would have helped.” Promise said running his fingers along his forehead slowly.

“It slipped my mind.” I said with a shrug.

Great! So the GM is a pompous little brat who walks around with a chip on his shoulder. No wonder he acts like he owns the place.

Ama and Promise went on to narrate how junior staff cower upon his arrival, his friendship with the sales manager being a major factor that destroyed his relationship with the HR and on and on.

His name is Alex and he is the best and brightest of his age at the organization. At thirty one, he has two PhDs with his name on it.

Even the managing director respects him. He's literally a golden boy and a great asset to the management and share holders of the company as our branch under his leadership has become the envy of competition.

I listened with so much attention as they told stories of his greatness and stuff like that.

Lunch was over and we returned to work as usual.

I wouldn't have thought in my wildest dreams that this Alex guy is the GM. He doesn't give two tosses about anyone cause he thinks he's more of a somebody than any other person.

My mind was changed and made up. When I run into him again, I'm supposed to greet respectfully and walk away not stopping a whole GM and asking him foolish questions that might end up getting me fired.

With all I have, I'm determined to keep my job whether the devil likes it or not.

On Friday evening, me and Tina decided to go out and have some fun in an elite club not so far from where we lived.

Chief's driver arrived and we both jumped in like little kids.

We drank, danced and had plenty of fun all night before we were dragged back to the car by chief's security men and taken home.

The next day, I had a terrible headache which didn't get better until afternoon.

Tina who never settles down in one place for too long was already dressed and ready to leave for somewhere.

“Tell Chief I said hello.” I said as she made to open the door.

“Which chief is that one?” She asked with a laugh resting her back on the door.

“Hia! See question oh! Your chief now or how many chiefs do you now have?” I said in surprise while she made a funny face.

“I'm not going to see chief, there's this old Bobo of mine than just landed all the way from the UK.” She said with dramatic hand gestures.

“So what about chief?”

“what about chief how?”
She fired back sounding somewhat annoyed.

“What if he finds out that you are cheating on him?” I pointed out with great concern.

“That man is old enough to be my father for God's sake which means he's not my speed anymore. I need to have some fun once in a while girl.” She responded and I shook my head in disbelief.

Tina is something else. Just using this man for his money not knowing that she's playing with wild fire.

“I haven't seen this guy in years and now that I finally got that chance, you want to play mom? Seriously? In case e still never clear you, chief is just a sugar daddy period! We're in it for our personal benefits, he gets his and I also get mine in the process. Grow up for once!” She yelled angrily.

Chief would take everything away and she'd be back to square one if or when he finds out as the case may be.

She left home angry that day telling me that I meddle too much and if I'm not satisfied with how things are going, I should go ahead and get my own house.

I was just trying to get my best friend out of trouble before it's too late but I guess she'd love to take a walk with danger.

From now on, no more advices until I save up enough money and rent my own place.

Read Episode 4>>
https://beat.com.ng/couldnt-pretend-episode-4/
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 1:46pm On Apr 14
EPISODE 4

A beautiful Monday morning, best way to get the second week on the job started was to keep being early.

I walked into the sales department and most of the cubicles were still empty.

Maybe I'm a little too early today. I smiled and moved to my own desk ready for whatever the day has in store.

A few minutes later, Ama and Promise arrived together.

Happenings of the past few days since I've been here have confirmed my suspicion, these two are dating but since they're not saying anything about it, I'm not going to probe them. I no dey work for EFCC abeg!

We chatted about what went down during the weekend before each person departed to their respective positions.

About an hour later, a team leader approached my cubicle. Her name is Haleema. We never say more than good morning to each other so why would she come to my desk?

“SM asked me to come and call you.” She announced and turned round walking away stiffly like she had a rod in her back thanks to her extremely high heeled shoes.

How can someone be so rude? She didn't even wait to hear if I have anything to say.

I slowly got out of my seat and made the trip to the extreme end of the crowded hall where the SM's office is located.

My legs trembling as I took every step. Uncertain of what the next minute holds.

Did I do something wrong? I'm I getting fired? But I have not done anything wrong. Could it be the analysis I submitted on Friday?

So many thoughts and questions ran through my mind as I prayed for God to help me out.

I knocked on her office door and I heard her voice from the other side of the door telling me to come in.

My face went pale with horror as my gaze landed on the second person in the room.

It wasn't just any person, it's Alex the general manager.

He was sitting on the Sales manager's swivel chair while she appeared to be searching for something on her bookshelf.

I've only been in her office once for departmental regularization or so they call it.

“Good morning ma, Good morning sir.” I greeted nervously.

Alex didn't respond but the sales manager did and ordered me to take a seat without even looking at me. She was too absorbed with whatever she was looking for.

Alex's demeanor was unreadable. Every now and then, he'd steal a quick glance at me but I'd catch him everytime since my eyes were constantly fixed on him the whole time. He was acting as if he'd never seen me in his entire life.

Could it be that he's here to victimize me in some way? But I've not done anything to anyone.

I swallowed hard and fidgeted in my seat feeling intimidated as Alex kept swivelling slowly in the chair. It felt like I was going to have a fever.

“Found it at last!” She exclaimed and turned round dramatically grabbing a book to her chest.

“You owe me more than one Lexi.” She joked with a low chuckle handing the book to Alex.

God! This guy is so full of himself. I was doing my best to resist the urge of an endless eyeroll.

“I sure do Vicki.” He said with a smile that would have looked cute if he wasn't so conceited.

For a second it was as if I wasn't even in the room until they both turned to look at me with serious expressions on their faces. I was just too nervous that my palms began to sweat. What on Earth are they going to say now?

“You're Folake right?” It was the SM who spoke and I nodded.

“Yes ma.” I answered slowly shifting uncomfortably in my seat.

“I called you because I have a very important assignment for you. Lexi's... ah! I mean the general manager's secretary is going to be away on a maternity leave for the next two months and three weeks so I'll need you to stand in for her. Can I count on you to do that perfectly?” She concluded and my gaze shifted from her to Alex who had a small smile that he was trying to conceal.

“I'm sorry to ask, but why me ma?” I protested, lightly rubbing my sweaty palms together.

How will I possibly survive being this guy's secretary for almost three months?

“Don't question my authority Folake, as your superior, when you're given an assignment, all you should think about is effective delivery.” The SM said sounding like she was going to fire me next. Alex seemed to be enjoying himself.

“Okay, I'm sorry ma, it's just that I've never been a secretary. My best fit is always in the sales department where I applied.” I said feeling halfway embarrassed and halfway annoyed.

It's the job anyway, I've got to put up with stuff like this.

“It's either this or nothing Folake.” She said a lot more calmly this time and I kept my head down slightly rolling my eyes. This is injustice!

“Follow me.” Alex finally said getting up from the SM's swivel chair with much swagger, flashing her a quick smile and making his way out of the office with quick steps.

I almost had to run after him while he kept going without looking back to check if I was even following him. Does he always have to walk with such fast paces?

“This will be your desk, you can go and get your stuff. When you're done settling, knock on my door.” He stated and walked away without waiting for a response.

Guess I should be glad that he made such a long page of sentences or upset that I'm being forced to pal up with this egotist against my will.

Reluctantly, I returned to my cubicle at the sales department, cleared the little I had and a very confused looking Ama waved me goodbye as she was talking to someone on the telephone. It looked like I was getting fired after just one week.

I made my way back to the secretary's desk outside Alex's office and dropped my handbag, my phone and a couple books on the desk before taking slow steps towards the main office door.

Two feeble knocks, and I heard him telling me to come inside.

His office is pretty nice, well furnished, spacious with a small conference area, a big screen on the wall and smells like some fruit. Must be the air freshener on the table. I tried not to inhale the sweet inviting scent, since it would seem weird.

He didn't even offer me a seat as he just started blabbing about his rules and my roles.

I like how full his beards look complementing his shaved head and how his kissable lips moved as he spoke. But I hated him with a passion because of his pride and arrogance. Now I'm gonna deal with him from eight to five, everyday for nearly three months.

Praying that I don't snap and just break a bottle or something on his head or give him a slap in the face one of these days.

My first task was nearly unbearable; drafting his schedule for the week. I just can't stand him. Uh!

I needed tips on how to actually survive working directly for him.

“Girl I'm so relieved! I thought for a second that you've gotten sacked after just one week in.” Ama exclaimed breathlessly holding her chest like one who'd just run a marathon.

“God forbid bad things!” I said with a chuckle.

We're currently in the restroom where I'd called Ama to meet me up so I could tell her the situation on ground.

“SM assigned me to Alex. I'm supposed to be his secretary for three months.” I stated with my hands thrown in the air.

“What?” Ama screamed like she's just come face to face with the devil. Just then, the door opened and two girls walked into the restroom laughing loudly so we just stayed quiet and waited for them to make their exit.

“Tell me it's a lie.” Ama spoke up as soon as the girls were outside.

“I'm dead serious babes, how can I joke about something like this?” I countered.

“Eiyah!” She said over and over again as she shook her head slowly in pity as I gave her a lowdown on the whole thing.

Ama gave me some useful advices and info on how to actually cope with him for the next three months.

Rule number one, I must act the fool and play off any insults or the likes of whatever he's gonna heap on me. That's a good start.

Read Episode 5 Here>>
https://beat.com.ng/couldnt-pretend-episode-5/
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by Aprishyn06(m): 4:12pm On Apr 14
thanks for the update>>>
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 6:53pm On Apr 14
Aprishyn06:
thanks for the update>>>

Thanks so much please support by reading more stories from my blog it would go a long way to encourage my writing
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by Aprishyn06(m): 7:58pm On Apr 14
LipstickCrib:

Thanks so much please support by reading more stories from my blog it would go a long way to encourage my writing

Absolutely! I will

1 Like

Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 10:42pm On Apr 14
Aprishyn06:

Absolutely! I will

Thanks so much

1 Like

Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by Crestaria: 10:04am On Apr 15
Good start indeed!!

1 Like

Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 2:16pm On Apr 15
Crestaria:
Good start indeed!!

Thanks so much I hope everyone loves it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 2:18pm On Apr 15
Episode 5

Last night, I stayed up reading books on how to be a good secretary and every other material I could get my hands on which has to do with secretarial work.

So far so good, I've learned two important things. Number one; arrive before your boss and number two; wait for the boss to leave before you do same.

This meant leaving the house as early as possible. Oh boy!

I alighted from the taxi, settled the driver and ran straight through the small gate which was already open into the premises scanning to see if Alex's car was parked at the usual spot under the car shade but I couldn't find it anywhere in sight.

Good enough! I breathed a little sigh of relief and waved to the gateman who was sitting on a white plastic chair outside his post and lacing up his boots.

A few minutes after I sat down in the small cubicle, Alex arrived. He returned my 'good morning' with what sounded like an almost inaudible mumble.

I stood up and followed slowly into his office where I read out his schedule for the day, got some tasks to perform and returned to my position to get to work on the stuff he just gave me.

“A new secretary!” I heard someone remark and I lifted my head up from the screen to see who's speaking. It's the guy who was talking to Alex the second day I saw him. They somehow look alike though but not very much.

“Good morning Sir.” I greeted and he gave me a friendly smile before he replied and asked if Alex was in before walking to his office door where he knocked and went in.

If only Alex was like that, the world would be a better place to live in.

Almost immediately after the guy walked into the office, the desk phone rang startling me a bunch.

I picked up and realized that it was Alex calling. I rolled my eyes at the realization. He needed me in his office and barely spoke for eight seconds.

I dropped the phone and walked to his office door where I knocked and he ushered me in.

“Where's the document I asked you to retype earlier on?” He demanded curtly as soon as I walked in.

“I'm working on the last page sir.” I responded nervously. What does this guy take me for? Some robot who can type a thousand words in a minute?

“I needed it like an hour ago.” He said in a bit of a yell slamming his palm on his desk while the other guy only sat there watching the entire Episode leaving me red with embarrassment.

“Okay Sir! I'm Sorry sir!” I pleaded as I made to hurry out of the office.

“I'm not done yet.” He added intimidatingly and I turned round to face him again.

“Rewrite this report. I need it on my desk before the close of work today.” He said and dropped a blue covered spiral bound document on his desk and I picked it up before finding my way out of the office.

I stole a quick glance at the other guy and I could tell clearly that he was unimpressed. But with who? I can't tell. Infact, I cared less at that point as I made my way out of the office my heels making a considerable amount of noise.

Returning to my cubicle in annoyance, I hurriedly typed out the remaining page that I was working on, went through it for any typos and finally hit print.

I walked back to the office and presented the finished work to Alex but he motioned for me to hand it to the other guy which I did and rushed out of the office after he okayed it to finish up with the other pending tasks.

“Best of luck with your boss.” The other guy said sarcastically with a little side smile as he emerged from the office and walked away holding the papers I'd given him earlier on.

“Thanks!” I responded shyly as I was still too embarrassed to lift my head and face him.

“I need it.” I muttered under my breath as I kept busy rewriting the report.

Three Days Later.....

“Good job!” Alex commended rather dryly and my eyes widened in a mix of shock and surprise.

Are my ears malfunctioning or I'm I daydreaming?

My jaw dropped instantly and I couldn't even bring myself to say anything.

Alex just commended me? That's just unbelievable!

“Folake!!” Alex yelled dragging me back to reality.
So he even remembers my name?

I forced a smile as I realized that he was holding out the paper on which the report was written.

“Are you okay?” He asked slowly and I nodded in response as I struggled to regain composure as I noted a slight disdain in his tone or was I misreading it?

“Make three more copies.” He concluded bluntly and returned his attention to his laptop.

To sum it up, I left the office; made the copies and submitted them to him just before he left for the day. Whew!

I still can't believe that Alex actually commended me today.

Making my way to the sales department to find Ama, it turns out that she'd already left for the day so I decided to call her up.

All through the drive back home in the taxi, I gisted Ama on what went down between me and Alex until I got home.

Today's Friday and a successful first week under Alex. Thank God I'm still employed!

Tina travelled yesterday with Chief and will be back in a couple of days which means I'll be alone all weekend.

Next morning, I decided to go and get some sanitary pads from the supermarket since I had just two left.

On my way to the counter to make my payment, I sighted someone that looked exactly like Alex.

I didn't want to take the chance of making sure if it was really him so I slowly retreated back into the section where I'd come out from and stood at a point where I could still get a good view of what he was doing until I saw him walk out of the store before I equally got out from my ‘hiding’ place to go and make my own payment.

My heart almost jumped out of my chest as I emerged from the store and made my way out of the premises passing the many cars parked outside only to come face to face with Alex resting on the hood of his car making a phone call.

I stopped dead in my tracks as our eyes met.

Little devil! So it was him for real?

“Good morning sir.” I managed to say with the fakest smile I could manufacture on my face when he finally finished with his phone call.

“Morning. How are you doing?” He responded almost emotionlessly.

“Doing very well Sir.” I also replied flatly and he nodded before walking over to the driver's side, opened the door and turned round to look at me as if I was some sort of clown.

“See you on Monday.” He added coolly, sat in the car and shut the door without caring to wait for a response from me. I don't think I'll ever understand this yeye guy ever.

I scoffed and continued on my way while looking back every now and then towards where he was in the car which still didn't move until I turned a corner and the car was out of view.

“So he just got into his car like that. I mean, just how rude could this guy get?” Ama asked as I concluded my narration to her during lunch time on Monday.

“Babes, I instantly regretted walking up to greet him.” I said dropping my spoon back into my now empty plate.

“No, you did the right thing by greeting him. I just think that he didn't have much to say or you made him nervous.” Promise said and Ama nodded in agreement with a bottle of Sprite pressed on her lips and I laughed at the sarcasm of being able to make Alex nervous when it's usually the other way around.

We gossipped at length about Alex throughout lunch break before we finally parted ways and I returned to my cubicle.

On my arrival, the desk phone was ringing so I rushed to pick up.

It was Alex calling! Gee! He was already back from lunch and wanted me in his office. He sounded really upset on the phone. This isn't good. He usually takes up to an hour or more before he returns from lunch.

I walked into the office expecting the worst as I rubbed my palms together since it was already getting sweaty- a habit whenever I'm nervous.

Alex wasn't smiling at all. Chai! See me, see wahala!

“Good afternoon sir.” I greeted nervously. He didn't say anything for a while as he eyed me up and down repeatedly making me feel so awkward and uncomfortable under his gaze to the point that I started adjusting my dress just in case.

“Retype that trash!” He barked angrily and slammed a file on the table making me jump in fright.

He looked really impetuous with eyes so red. Only God knows how many demons he's battling today. He wasn't just mad at me, he looked like he was going through something else that made him like this today.

“What are you waiting for? Leave my office!” He yelled again and I picked up the file and scurried out of the office.

Don't get me wrong, he's always blunt, annoying and conceited but today, since morning, he's been nothing but plain bitter and brutal. That's different and really scary.

I returned to my cubicle feeling really frightened by Alex's violent behavior.

Going through the paper, I found the typos I'd made. Just two of them that he circled with blue pen and he dared to call my hard work trash just for that.

This is clearly a case of transferred aggression.

Thankfully, I hadn't deleted the soft copy of the document from my computer so I just searched for it, edited and hit print.

In a matter of minutes, I was done and knocked on his door for about five times before he eventually told me to come in.

His back was turned towards the direction of the door. So it's that bad and he doesn't even want to look me in the eye?

I dropped the file on the table after informing him and turned to walk out.

“Cancel all of my appointments for today and tomorrow.” He said in a cracky and hoarse sounding voice like someone who'd been crying.

Gosh! I dared not ask him if he's okay. He may just get up and give me a slap for what it's worth.

Could he really be crying? I doubt it. But if he is, then he needs some serious help.

I returned to my desk and made all the necessary phone calls cancelling every single appointment he had for that day and the next.

He stayed in his office until some minutes to six before he finally came out with the straightest face ever and left for the day without even looking at me or giving me any tasks for the next day as usual.

I quickly picked up my hand bag and phone and also left for the day thanking God that I didn't get fired.

Tina called as I was on my way down the stairs and we talked until I got home. She has enough airtime to stay on the phone forever. Mtchew!

Right now, I was confused about the whole situation with Alex. Is he going to be okay? Should I ask him what is wrong?

Nope, I shook my head as the last question came to mind. It may not be my business but I'm gonna give it time though. If he's still like that in the next few days, I'll take the risk and ask him.

Read Episode 6 Here>>
https://beat.com.ng/couldnt-pretend-episode-6/
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by Crestaria: 9:24pm On Apr 15
I'm loving this, getting more interesting. What a lengthy update.

Thanks for the update Lipstick....

1 Like

Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 6:56am On Apr 16
Crestaria:
I'm loving this, getting more interesting. What a lengthy update.

Thanks for the update Lipstick....
I'm glad you love it the next episode will be soooo hot get ready

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by Crestaria: 8:29am On Apr 16
LipstickCrib:

I'm glad you love it the next episode will be soooo hot get ready
Always with you and ready grin
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 9:57pm On Apr 16
Episode 6

Well, the next morning, Alex surprised me. He walked past my desk looking all swagger and swell with his vainglorious demeanor and pride hovering over him as usual.

He even gave an audible response to my greetings today. That is something new!

This guy must be a bipolar sick twisted devil acting like this today.

Even though he didn't have anything on his schedule today, I still followed him into the office just to find out what tasks he may want me to perform.

He kept me waiting as he was busy prepping a vinyl record which he placed on the platter of a gramophone or so they call it.

This guy has money to spend on stuff like this! I mean why didn't he just get a DVD or something? Such a showoff!

The record started playing and Brandy's voice was heard singing her heart out as usual on the track "Long Distance".

This guy has expensive tastes for almost everything except attitude.

“What can I do for you?” He asked as he turned round to face me sounding so innocent like he was some sort of angel and was just seeing me for the first time ever.

“I wanted to know if there's anything you need me to do Sir.” I said calmly trying my hardest to hide the fact that I wanted to slap his rude but handsome face.

Geez! I just thought about this peacock as being handsome. What's come over me? I mentally slapped myself for thinking such.

“Oh yeah, I need you to type this.” He said tiredly passing me a paper on which paragraphs were written with the sloppiest handwriting I've ever seen.

“Lest I forget, send reminders to all department heads for Friday's meeting.” He added firmly before I finally found my way out of his office.

The week went by fast and without any mishap. Thank you Lord!

Run it up to a week later....

I just received my salary for the first month on the job and I've decided to hit a club with Tina and celebrate my first month at the office and three weeks under a toxic person like Alex who only keeps getting worse as the days go by.

There were days I felt like quitting and even drafted my resignation letter but I never had the liver to send it every time I remembered how tough it was to secure the job in the first place.

Today's Friday, I was just going to leave all of the Alex palava and any other shenanigans out there and have one night of pure fun with my crazy friend.

We got on the dance floor dancing with other sweaty people.

Tina got paired up with some guy she was dancing with and in a second, she disappeared from the room in his arms. Terrific! This girl is turning into something else.

Discouraged, I decided to take a seat at the bar and wait for them to return from wherever they've gone to.

I got a bottle of sprite and started downing the chill liquid down my parched throat.

“You got moves girl.” I heard someone say beside me and my eyes widened as I froze on hearing the voice and almost spat out the drink in my mouth.

Oh no! Could it really be him?

I turned round and confirmed that it's actually Alex sitting beside me on the next barstool with a bottle of Guinness stout on the bar table in front of him.

How come I didn't even notice him sitting there all this while? And why is he always present at the most unusual places?

Oh! Now wait a minute, he just commended my dancing which means he's been watching me for so long! I was blushing hard as my cheeks burned hot.

“Good evening sir.” I said with a little stutter. How bad can this get?

Even with the dim blue lights in the room, I could still see his egocentricity written all over his proud facial expression. Oh please! This is nothing new!

“Never took you for a minidress person.” He said eyeing me up and down slowly after answering my greetings making me shift uncomfortably in my seat.

“Never took you to be a clubgoing person.” I said boldly looking him straight in the face. My courage surprising me greatly.

He started laughing while I shook my head slowly rolling my eyes at him.

We got talking about a whole lot of stuff as the tension between us gradually died down.

So Alex is funny like this ehn? Making crude jokes up and down and telling crazy stories like kilode. I just can't stop laughing! This guy is just like a chameleon showing me so many different colors.

“Wow, look who got hooked up.” I heard Tina say behind me and she started laughing so hard sounding like a lunatic. Great way to embarrass me in front of my boss.

After introductions, I decided to drag Tina who was already so drunk and reeking of alcohol out through the exit door after saying goodbye to Alex since she wouldn't keep her big mouth shut.

To be honest, I don't know how it was possible for me to have such a great conversation with Cold-hearted Alex and also share a few good laughs as well.

Right now, I have no idea what is going to happen when I go to work on Monday. Will he remain nice or will he go back to being his old arrogant self?

Monday came almost too soon as I got to work and waited for him to arrive. Thirty minutes later, he arrived wearing a brand new designer suit.

“Good morning sir.” I greeted in my most courteous fashion but he only responded passively not looking my way as he stepped into his office. It's no overstatement in saying that this guy is an unrepentant narcissist.

The way he's talking to me today makes it seem like he wasn't the same person telling me jokes on Friday night like we've been best pals for so long.

For some awkward reason, I was downcast throughout the day and even skipped lunch break. Maybe I was expecting to see a change in Alex and got let down instead.

The day was long and felt like forever for it to get to five o'clock.

A few minutes past five, Alex finally emerged from his throne room (I mean his office) and without uttering a single word, he dropped a note on my desk and strutted past me.

“Have a nice evening sir.” I said not expecting any response and picked up the note to see what it was.

“Meet me at Kebari's Restaurant at exactly 5:30” I read out loud and my heart skipped a beat as I reread the note and sat back in my chair trying to comprehend the entire situation.

Why would he ask me to meet him at a restaurant after work? Is this where I get fired or reprimanded for something?

For more than ten minutes, I sat there as my brain calculated on every possible scenario that could go down when I get to Kebari's which was just a few blocks away from the office.

I checked my time and realized that it was already eighteen minutes past five. Oh no! I'm going to be late for sure.

Hurrying out of the building like a mad woman, I got into a taxi and dropped at the classy and glossy restaurant.

After settling the taxi man, I got down and took slow steps towards the entrance door which was still far off. It was already five thirty six by the time I arrived.

Wait a minute, how on Earth I'm I supposed to find Alex in this very large restaurant full of people? I'm I supposed to check every table or what? I mean what type of person could be so clueless?

The door man held the door open and I smiled at him nervously and walked in. Here it goes! Awkwardness! I felt like an underdressed misfit.

Kebari's is where the MVPs in Lekki meet and eat plus Yahoo boys, models, runs girls and the likes.

I scanned the crowded hall for any sign of Alex but found none. I don't even have his personal phone number.

As I was still busy scanning the room without seeing him, I decided to take a seat at an empty table and wait for him to show his face. Maybe he's not here yet or could it be that he left already?

I ordered for a bottle of water to keep me busy in the meantime. One thousand five hundred naira for an ordinary thirty five centiliters bottle of water? You've got to be kidding me! I wonder how much the food here will cost.

As the waitress brought my water- in a gold platter may I add, my phone which I'd placed on the table started ringing.

It's an unsaved number calling. I collected the POS machine from the waitress and inputted my pin.

While the lady was processing the payment, I picked up the phone hesitantly and the voice on the other side made me smile. What a relief!

Yeah guess, it's Alex calling. So he has my number after all?

“Tell the waitress to bring you up to table seventy four, floor two.” He said calmly as if he was watching me from somewhere.

I looked round the room with the phone still on my ear as my heart pounded hard.

“Up!” He said and I looked up and saw him resting on the staircase leading to the next floor with his phone on his ear and that was when it came to mind that this place has more than one floor I should have gone up. Mtchew!

As soon as I sighted him up there, he hung up and walked out of sight.

“Please, can you show me to table seventy four on the second floor?” I asked the waitress politely and she agreed telling me to follow her as she returned my ATM card and led the way with me following behind clutching the freezing and expensive bottle of water tightly.

Well, the second floor was more grand and glamorous than the first. I wonder what the next floor or the VIP will look like.

We finally got to table seventy four where Alex was seated operating his phone.

“Thanks a lot!” I said to the kind waitress who smiled and walked away.

“You're ten minutes late! That's unlike you.” He said and looked up at me with a small smile on his face. It wasn't his usual flat smile but one that looked genuine and warm.

“I'm sorry sir.” I said with my head low to prevent myself from looking him in the eye or something like that.

“Come on, don't just stand there have a seat.” He said in a friendly tone motioning for me to sit down which I did without any delays.

“I'm starving!” He exclaimed with a little yawn stretching in his seat after taking off his jacket and placing it on the spare seat beside him before proceeding to undo his tie. How come he feels so at home in a place like this?

“Let's eat something first. Take your pick.” He suggested pointing to the menu on the table. What does he mean by 'eat something first'?

I picked it up and ran my eyes through it. So many options to choose from but I dared not ask for anything out of the ordinary. Who knows how much it may cost?

A waiter who seemed to know Alex very well came to our table and they took like two minutes talking about some random things before finally asking me to place my order.

My people, I only asked for coconut rice making Alex look at me like I was some clown.

He ordered for vegetable soup and semovita in his usual proud manner. What a showoff!

While waiting for the food to arrive, I drank from my bottle of water and did everything else to avoid his wild gaze.

Oh God! What is all this about?

Read Episode 7>>
https://beat.com.ng/couldnt-pretend-episode-7/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by Crestaria: 6:56am On Apr 17
Hmmm making progress

Well done

1 Like

Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 10:09pm On Apr 17
Episode 7

The food arrived and from the expensive plates And golden trays that they were served in, you don't need Einstein to help you confirm that it's not cheap to eat in this place.

“So you come here often?” I managed to ask as I picked up my fork and knife 🍴nervously and started eating slowly in my most courteous and sophisticated style. I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of my narcissistic boss.

“I come here everyday for lunch and dinner since I don't cook.” He responded with a shrug and continued eating like it was nothing. How come this guy is feeling so free eating swallows in front of his secretary? In the midst of so many other MVPs?

Though it was tempting to ask him if he even knows how to cook, I decided to shut my mouth.

At a point, I decided to do a little bit of forming and leave about half of my delicious rice untouched so it won't look as if I'm a glutton. (Babe gats get swag and pride small na 🙄)

Actually, I was the only one pretending cause Alex finished his semo and soup and proceeded to clear off the left over rice while I watched in bewilderment. Man's got a really ferocious appetite.

“Even Jesus Christ didn't waste food.” He said with a laugh sounding somewhat fulfilled and satisfied as he noticed that I was looking intently at him like he was performing some sort of magic trick by making all the food disappear.

The waiter came back to clear the table and Alex got serious again as soon as he left us alone.

“I know you're wondering why I asked you to meet me here after work. Well, ugh, I just want to apologize for my behavior and how I've treated you ever since we started working together.” He narrated and paused to examine my facial expression.

Wait, what? Alex is apologizing to me? For real? I must be Lasgidi dreaming or something! I'm speechless!

“I know it's a shocker but that's not how I am. I've been dealing with a lot of crazy stuff recently and then my secretary gives birth and has to go on maternity leave and you're just fresh off the bench and clueless about how I operate. I was trying to force you to be like Rita.” He explained.

“I'm sorry Folake.” That's it! The magic words. Proud Alex just admitted to me that he's sorry? My head was almost bursting. That must have chipped off a ton of pride from him.

"So what do you say? Do you forgive little ol me?" He asked as I was just looking at him like I've seen a ghost.

“I forgive you Sir.” I said nervously.

“Call me Alex when we're out here and thank you.” He interjected with a little smile which I returned.

“I want us to drop the animosity and just be cool.” He continued biting his lips. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that he's very embarrassed and uneasy right now.

In the back of my mind, I felt like laughing about the whole thing. Ama, Promise and Tina are going to laugh their hearts out when they hear this.

But Wait oh, maybe I shouldn't tell Ama and Promise. They might lose their regards for him if they realize that he made himself appear weak and vulnerable by apologizing to a common secretary.

We spoke at length about some random and trivial things before it was time for us to leave. He offered to drop me off at home. I sat in front with the driver so I could give him directions while he sat at the back like a king.

As soon as I got home, I crashed into a sofa and prayed silently thanking God for the fact that I still have a job as I thought Alex was going to put me in a tough position and eventually fire me or something.

“Lala is that you?” I heard Tina yelling from the direction of the kitchen and that was when I perceived the sweet inviting aroma of food hanging heavy in the air and I realized that she's cooking. That's new! But I couldn't have been more thankful since I was still hungry.

“Yeah it's me T.” I yelled back and got up making my way to the kitchen where I found her busy stirring a pot of stew.

“Welcome, you're late today what happened?” She asked as she turned down the heat on the burner where the stew was. That's where I noticed that there was another pot on the next burner which must be the one containing the rice.

I gave her the full details of all that happened including my encounter with Alex.

We shared a few good laughs about it before I went upstairs, got changed and rejoined her in the kitchen where we had dinner and Tina had to leave for somewhere that night being a typical 'waka-waka' babe while I went to bed finding it difficult to fall asleep as I kept thinking about all the things that Alex said and did today.

After two straight hours of staying awake in bed, I finally rolled over and fell asleep only waking up the next morning at the sound of my alarm.

Tuesday morning was a total mystery and I wondered what wonders Alex will perform today.
Is he going to go back to being Jack Frosty or continue being fun like James Corden? I thought to myself as I took slow steps towards my cubicle.

In a matter of moments, Alex arrived with his phone to his ear and only waved at me as he continued walking proudly and disappeared into his office.

He waved at me. Wow! Cool! My heart skipped a beat.

As I sat there thinking about it, the desk phone rang and like I assumed, it was Alex asking to see me in his office.

"Good morning Sir." I said shyly uncertain of what his mood is going to be like today.

"Morning Folake. How are you today?" He asked swivelling in his chair with an intimidating expression on his face but not the usually disdainful look.

"Fine Sir." I responded rather nervously as he has never asked about my welfare except that one encounter outside the store.

He didn't say much as I read the schedule for the day to him and getting the tasks that he had for me.

"The ice has finally melted." I said to myself as I returned to my cubicle to focus on the assignments ahead.

Throughout the week, Alex seemed to be in a very good mood and was less annoying and more human and kind. He didn't criticize my work like he used to and wasn't screaming at me to get things done like I was a robot. I was finally enjoying my life at work. Thank God for this blessing!

Two weeks later...

"Print that report and bring it to me at Kebari's when you're ready to leave." Alex ordered and hurried off before I could even say a word.

So this guy's ego has finally deflated? angry grin

Read Episode 8 Here>>
https://beat.com.ng/couldnt-pretend-episode-8/
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by Crestaria: 6:24am On Apr 18
Love story loading but definitely with challenges here and there. Nice one dear

You are doing an amazing job here

1 Like

Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 10:50am On Apr 18
Crestaria:
Love story loading but definitely with challenges here and there. Nice one dear

You are doing an amazing job here

Thanks dear
I believe every love story has its own challenges
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 6:38pm On Apr 21
Episode 8

"Print that report and bring it to me at Kebari's when you're ready to leave." Alex ordered and hurried off before I could even say a word.

"Yes your royal pompousness." I mocked rolling my eyes when I was sure that he was far off and couldn't hear me.

I abandoned everything I was working on and printed out the report, stuffed it in an envelope and at exactly five, I left the office heading to Kebari's.

It was easier to find him this time around as I had his phone number from the other day he called.

"Was beginning to think that you'd never show up." Alex remarked sarcastically as he saw me and all I could do was smile shyly..

I get it now. Alex telling me to bring that report to this place was just a set up.

Table seventy four must be reserved because we sat at the same table as we did the other day and this time, he ordered for okro soup prepared with snails alongside semovita while I ordered for pepper soup rice. I would've opted for soup sha but my nails would make it a challenge to try that as I hated the idea of using cutleries to eat soup.

There was a whole lot of meat in my plate and I wished I could just take some home. So yummy and cooked to perfection. This time around, I dropped my forming and did justice to the rice as well as all the meat after all, no be me dey pay.

We finished eating, and then talked at length about our lives. Turns out that Alex is the first of three sons for his mom who's now late and four for his dad.

I on the other hand was the only daughter and second of four children.

Alex dropped me off at home a few minutes to nine that night.

"I had a great time. We should do this often." Alex said coolly earning a little laugh from me.

We said our goodbyes and I stood there watching him drive off. As I turned to go inside, I realized that the front door was locked so I searched for my keys and unlocked the door. Tina was not in like I'd suspected.

Since I came home with a full stomach, I didn't bother going to the kitchen but just walked straight into my room, changed up and went to bed.

A new day came and I was getting ready to go to work, Tina returned that early morning looking rather upset. When I asked what the problem was, she refused to say anything so I just got on my way to work. One thing about Tina is that she's the queen among drama queens so why bother with her?

As usual, the day went by smoothly and I did some catching up with Ama and Promise before finally coming back home only to meet Tina in the same sour mood.

"Hey T! What's up?" I hailed as I sat down on the sofa opposite her.

"So you're finally back. You left the house without even leaving even a cup of boiled water for me. And the house is just so dirty. Take a look at the white tiles turning into something else." She ranted and I was taken aback.

"Tina calm down na. You were not in last night and besides, I didn't even know when you would be coming back. As for the floor I mopped it on Sunday." I said pleadingly.

"Oh spare me that." She yelled angrily and stormed out of the house angrily.

What could've come over her? Because the Tina I know never speaks to me with such contempt and disrespect.

As I couldn't quite wrap my head around what was going on in her kingdom, I went to the kitchen and found everything squeaky clean. The fridge and the cabinets were all locked. Not even a single spoon was anywhere in sight.

So Tina is locking up the foodstuffs that I also contributed money to buy? No pressure. I went upstairs, changed up and got on the road. I ate rice at a small restaurant far from where we lived and came home to sleep.

By now, Tina was back inside the living room and didn't even respond when I told her 'goodnight'.

The next day, I woke up at the sound of my alarm clock and got ready for work. I'd run out of soap and I didn't even remember to buy that yesterday so I went to knock on Tina's door.

After waiting so long for her to open the door, I asked to borrow her soap and my people, that was when I finally heard Tina's mind ho ha!

She screamed at me calling me a pest, a parasite, you name it. She complained that the house, the food and even most of the clothes I wore belonged to her. She called me poor, wretched and whatever name she could think of.

I left her without saying anything and returned to my room where I took my shower without any soap and got dressed in tears not knowing what to do next.

If someone would have told me that Tina of all people would one day walk all over me like that, I would have never believed them.

After all the things we went through together back in school. Back when she had nothing. She wore my clothes and shared a bunk in my hostel every night since she couldn't afford to pay her rent after her dad died that year.

As I sat there thinking about all the things I've done for her too, I was so annoyed and decided to also confront her and give her a piece of my mind.

We argued for almost an hour before she resolved that the only way to solve all her problems in life was to kick me out of the house.

She threw my things out while the gatemen helped me pack them up. One of our neighbors who came to resolve the issue only got met with insults upon insults by the brat.

I left my things with the gateman who helped me carry them to their post as I promised to come back for them in the evening.

As late as I was, I still got to work. Like I supposed, the time book was already closed. It was already 8:37 by the time I arrived. Alex was here already and that has never happened before.

Thank God I had told him on the phone that I was having problems back home.

Read episode 9 here>>
https://beat.com.ng/couldnt-pretend-episode-9/
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by Crestaria: 7:05am On Apr 22
This is so bad for you girl. I trust you will find a way around it. Tina no try at all.

Thanks Lipstick

1 Like

Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by Aprishyn06(m): 4:08pm On Apr 24
Chai. Omoh

1 Like

Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 4:34pm On Apr 26
Crestaria:
This is so bad for you girl. I trust you will find a way around it. Tina no try at all.

Thanks Lipstick

Omo, Folake has suffered
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 4:35pm On Apr 26
Aprishyn06:
Chai. Omoh

Sad but it's well
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 5:16pm On Apr 26
Episode 9

I arrived at my cubicle and found Alex sitting on one of the waiting chairs reading a newspaper.

"Good morning sir." I greeted looking at the floor to prevent any eye contact.

"My office." He said rather calmly, his tone depicting some concern.

"Sit down and tell me everything." He ordered as he also took his seat and I followed suit.

This would be the first time since I started working for Alex that I'd be told to sit in his office. Things have really changed and I wasn't as nervous as I would have been with the old stone cold Alex.

I narrated everything to him and he empathized with me
assuring that it's just a phase that would soon pass.

I felt relieved that he actually cared like a normal human being and he didn't pressure me all day even though I was really distracted from work.

Just when I thought things were beginning to work out fine, the devil decides to use Tina and mess me up.

Where on earth do I stay now? What crime did I commit? How many days would my little savings be able to afford a hotel? Where do I get money to afford rent in this Lekki? How do I tell my mom that I'm homeless in Lagos?

Later in the day, Ama and I met up in the ladies room and she consoled me.

She would have loved to have me move in with her but she's currently living with Promise. That was shocking to find out sha but they both promised to help me with some money before the week runs out and I couldn't be more delighted.

That day before he went home, Alex gave me twenty thousand naira to check into a hotel for the night. My people, I was shocked to the core. So Alex has a human heart that actually cares about what someone else is going through huh? Wow! Just wow!

With the money Alex gave me, I went back to my former home where I was staying with Tina before she decided to kick me out, packed my bags and thanking the gatemen for being so kind, I boarded a cab, alighted at a cheap hotel in town and checked in for the night.

My prayers all through the night was for God to provide for Ama and Promise so they could give me the money they'd promised so I in turn could add to what I have and get a house even if it meant sharing a room with ten people as long as I have a roof over my head.

I dared not call my mother or my elder brother and tell them that I'm homeless or else, my mom would freak out and start convincing me to come back home.

The next morning, I woke up and reluctantly got ready for work skipping breakfast even though I was somehow hungry, I just didn't feel like going anywhere to buy food.

Alex on the other hand loaded me with work without giving me any room to breathe which got me so annoyed. I was so hungry, exhausted and upset at the same time.

Before it even got to five, Alex had already left which was rather too early.

By the time I finally dragged myself out of my cubicle, it was almost six so I decided to find somewhere and eat first before returning to the hotel.

As I got down from the taxi on the main road and was making the trip back to the hotel which was located on a dirt road, I spotted a fancy Chevrolet parked by the fence of a school building along the dirt road.

The person resting on the hood of the car was Alex's part-time driver. I've seen him in the office a couple times where he'd come asking to see Alex and introduced himself as his part-time driver.

He was calling my name which made me wonder how on earth he knew my name.

Could it be that Alex sent him or he's out here chasing girls?

Hesitantly, I walked over to where the car was parked to hear what he had to say.

He introduced himself as Wahab, the part-time driver and like I'd guessed, Alex had sent him here to come and get me. But how did he know exactly where to find me? Has he been tracking me or something?

Now Alex asked him to bring me. Haba! What for? it's past seven in the evening and all I want is to return to the hotel and rest from all this wahala.

Just as he was speaking, my phone rang and I realized that it was Alex calling. Speak of the devil!

I picked up and he told me that he'd sent Wahab to get me so I got comfortable with following him to wherever he was supposed to take me.

Driving into one fancy area like that which was just like the area I was living with Tina, Wahab pulled up outside the gates of one of the houses and honked for the gateman to open up. This must be where Alex lives.

We drove in slowly into the residence which comprised of several other well lit flats with cars parked in front of each building. Me and Wahab alighted from the car and he went and unlocked the front door of the building his car was parked.

"Oga tell me say make I carry you come this house. Him talk say him don renew rent for you." Wahab announced as we got inside the living room which was already furnished and had a large TV screen plastered on the wall.

"Shey you dey whine me ni." I said tiredly.

"No be joke madam. Na wetin oga say make I tell you be that." Wahab reaffirmed.

This must be one of those houses that come already furnished and cost a fortune to rent.

I couldn't believe what he just told me as it was too good to be true so I decided to call Alex.

"Do you like your new house?" Those were the first words out of Alex's mouth as soon as the call connected.

I was just too amazed and couldn't thank him enough.
Where do I start from? I wanted to jump and scream out loud but since Wahab was here, I kept cool.

The house had three bedrooms, a dining and a nice kitchen. If this is a dream, then please don't wake me up.

After we were done inspecting the house, Wahab handed me the keys and drove me back to the hotel where I decided to spend the night since I'd already paid upfront for two days and I didn't want my money to waste.

All night, I kept turning on the bed with a giant grin on my face as my excitement couldn't let me get any sleep at all.

I only realized that I'd finally dozed off when my alarm roused me the next morning.

For the third day in a row, I skipped breakfast as I packed my bags and checked out of the hotel that morning officially moving to my new crib.

The Uber pulled up outside my flat and helped me carry my bags to the front door which I quickly unlocked, carried my bags into the living room, locked up and reentered the Uber this time heading to work.

I arrived two minutes before Alex came in. I spent almost an hour in his office thanking him and he in turn made me promise not to tell anyone that he was the one who got the house for me.

It was quite understandable why he wanted anonymity in this matter because people will misread a simple kind gesture for something else.

But wait oh, could there be another reason why Alex just dash me house like that? Because I don't want any conditions that I can't fulfill at all.

Read Episode 10 Here>>
https://beat.com.ng/couldnt-pretend-episode-10/
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by LipstickCrib(f): 4:53pm On Apr 28
Episode 10

Folake:

According to him, he used to live there some time back and paid the rent for three years and only lived there for a few months before he moved out to a better area. In which case, the house still has about one year and eight months rent left. Whoa!

Alex really has money to throw around. That house must cost about a million per annum and he paid for three whole years and then left it to waste? Geez!

I called Ama to meet me in the restroom as usual and she even brought me the money that they'd promised to give me which I was no longer in need of presently.

On my way to the restroom, I'd already made up the story I was going to tell her and Promise. A well fabricated and memorized story.

As far as she knows, the house belongs to the friend of a friend who is moving to the states to pursue an MBA program. They didn't want the rent to waste so my friend asked and the owner said I could move in since I didn't have money for rent.

She bought the story hook,line and sinker and was so eager to go check out the house at the close of work.

At 5:09, Alex emerged from his office and left while I also closed for the day rushing to meet Ama and Promise who were already downstairs waiting for me.

The three of us boarded a taxi and landed at my new place.

We explored every inch of the house, unpacked, ordered pizza and ate together before they finally left at a few minutes to eight leaving me alone in the big house which wasn't exactly something new to me.

The bedroom I'd chose to sleep in was really spacious and had a king sized bed in it which bounced as I jumped on it. I didn't even have a duvet or something to cover the mattress. The closet took up all the space on an entire wall. Even queen Elizabeth won't even have enough stuff to fill it up. My bathroom could qualify as a whole apartment on it's own.

Taking stock of what was in the house, I found out that there were no pots, plates or any other utensils in the kitchen. Just a big empty refrigerator, cabinets, and other kitchen appliances too numerous to mention. The counter top shined like it was made of glass as the bright lights on the ceiling reflected on it's surface. Everything in this house was perfect.

Just as I sat there planning on how to get these things, my phone started ringing. It was Alex calling. Wow!

Alex calling my phone? That was one thing I wasn't expecting.

We spoke for minutes about some random things which had nothing to do with work.

Here I was thinking that he wanted to give me some assignments not knowing that he just wanted to talk.

He was interested in finding out how I felt about the house and blah blah blah.

By the time he ended the call, I realized that we'd been on the phone for a whole forty six minutes and ten seconds. Whoa!

It's surprisingly easy to start a conversation with Alex and the guy sabi crack jokes no be here.

I went to bed with a smile on my face thinking about the new house and all the funny things Alex told me on the phone.

Needless to say that I was officially having a crush on my boss! I was crushing on the almighty pompous Alex Oluwoye!

Fast forward to the weekend where I was just returning from my shopping for kitchen items and some foodstuffs. That was when I met one of my neighbors for the very first time.

His name is Edward and he lives in the flat closest to mine. He's a typical Lekki top boy driving a fancy red Toyota plus the normal fake designer outfits. Fake life no go kill person.

He seemed nice but the downside of the whole issue is that he's a playboy and was trying to ask me out on the very first day of seeing me. I simply told him that I have a boyfriend. So annoying!

I brought all the things I bought inside and within minutes, I was already cooking. Thank God for the constantly running generator in the compound, the electric cooker did it's thing as I made soup, stew and cooked rice refrigerating the unused portions.

Boy! This is the life man!

I turned on the smart TV in the living room and switched to a music channel dancing and jumping up on the cold marble floor which was like some kinda glass.

Before I went to bed that night, I called my mom and told her about the happenings of the week from the time Tina kicked me out, me lodging in the hotel, and my 'friend' getting me a house.

First of all, like any typical Nigerian mother, she was annoyed that all these things had happened and I didn't bother informing her. But overall, she was so overjoyed and now that I have my own place, she could finally come to Lagos and visit anytime she wants.

On Monday morning when I arrived at the office, the first person that came to the office was The HR. Her name is Catherine and I remember being told from the jump that she's Alex's ex girlfriend.

Ever since I started working for Alex, she's never showed up here looking for him except on days when the department heads meet in his office.

She's a tall, beautiful, light skinned chic and she smelled really nice just like person wey dey chop better money. Imagine wetin Baba allow mek im pass am by.

"Good morning ma'am. How may I help you today ma?"I greeted nervously but she was just so calm.

"Morning. I'm looking for Mr Oluwoye." She said curtly. That's Alex being called by his surname just to show that she remotely feels nothing for him anymore. Omo!

"Hold on ma let me get in touch with him." I said as I dialled his office phone and informed him that the HR was outside the door.

He told me to let her in which I did. Within minutes, they came out of the office together and strutted past my cubicle like they were going somewhere important.

It took close to an hour later before Alex returned this time around with that his friend who's the head of advertising and marketing. They both had tired expressions on their faces like people going through a lot.

Throughout that day, all department heads took turns to come over to Alex's office and I just assumed that something big was going down.

After all the running around, Alex called me into his office to inform me of the situation on ground.

According to him, the company is currently being dragged by it's own brand influencers as they've not been paid for rendering their services for months now and the brand ambassadors are also threatening to disown the brand.

"Someone is embezzling money at the center and we need to find out ASAP." Alex said running his fingers through his thick beards as he continued narrating the story.

"So how do we find out who's behind it?" I asked cluelessly as I was lost staring at how his lips moved while he spoke as they were partly covered by his beards.

"We have to follow the money. Which is why I won't be in the office for the rest of the week. I need to go to the headquarters tomorrow and attend the meeting with the influencers and ambassadors just so we can figure out a way to calm them down. Plus, I've got to take a look at the audit report myself." He concluded and started swivelling in his chair with such confidence.

"So what will I be doing here these few days?"

"You're my backup. You'll keep an eye on everything and everyone here while I'm gone. Plus, I'll be buzzing you every now and then if I need anything." He responded and I inwardly rolled my eyes at him.

Here I was, wishing that he'd tell me to stay at home and relax till he returns to town. Mtchew!

But come to think of it, I'll miss him oh! But why would I miss him na? Even though he's now a nicer human being, he's still very pompous. How can I be missing him? Is he my boyfriend or what? I quickly crossed that thought off my mind the moment I realized that he was looking at me so intently.

"Are you okay?" He asked casually and I nodded coming back to my senses.

"So I was saying something. Were you even listening to me?" He queried raising his brows slightly.

"Sorry, I got carried away. What were you saying please?" I inquired shyly rubbing my palms together.

"Wanna go for dinner at Kebari's?" He asked with a straight face which forced me to say yes without thinking. Wow! Table seventy four here I come again!

Read Episode 11 here>>
https://beat.com.ng/couldnt-pretend-episode-11/
Re: Couldn't Pretend (i'm Dating The Boss) by Crestaria: 7:32pm On Apr 28
Hmmm... Catherine

Well done

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Catholic Contradictions" The Longest Poem Written By A Nigerian On Poem Hunter / The Journeys Of A Slutty, Alcoholic,young, Foolish Woman REPLY THREAD / The Devil She Knows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 264
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.