Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,111 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? (20235 Views)

Latest Prices Of Day Old Broilers, Pullets,turkeys & Cockerels. / Updated Prices Of Day Old Broiler,Cockerel,Layers From Ibadan. / See The Current Price Of Day Old Turkeys. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 1:01am On Apr 20
I am flabbergasted with the recent high cost of broiler day-old chicks. It is going to hit N1,000 or get as high as N1,700 per chick this year, according to a friend I discussed this issue with.

What exactly is the reason behind this sudden price increase? How are farmers coping?

I was told low production is one of the reasons. Low production? What are the reasons producers are getting out of the business?

Please suggestions on how to survive this period will be highly appreciated.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 3:51am On Apr 22
I am just thinking. How possible can one have like 6 to 10 parents stock and hatch around 50 day old chicks per week? Any suggestion on how to get a few parents' stocks instead of buying 50 in a carton? Maybe 5 to 10 female point of lay instead of buying day old 50 per carton. Any suggestion?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by happney65: 8:25am On Apr 22
I bought 500 pieces at 830 per DOC just last week Thursday in Ibadan. I waited till Thursday instead of buying on Monday thinking it would come down but it never did. It was even 700plus on Monday.

I think it's the demand if I'm right. The demand for broilers DOC right now seems to be the highest in recent times. The high dollar rate has affected those bringing in frozen chicken while the demand for local production seems to have gone off the roof

And No,It isn't low production. The Demand right now seems to be the highest in recent times. Was told by now if it were previously,it would have been selling far lesser

22 Likes 7 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 9:11am On Apr 22
happney65:
I bought 500 pieces at 830 per DOC just last week Thursday in Ibadan. I waited till Thursday instead of buying on Monday thinking it would come down but it never did. It was even 700plus on Monday.

I think it's the demand if I'm right. The demand for broilers DOC right now seems to be the highest in recent times. The high dollar rate has affected those bringing in frozen chicken while the demand for local production seems to have gone off the roof

And No,It isn't low production. The Demand right now seems to be the highest in recent times. Was told by now if it were previously,it would have been selling far lesser

The demand can not be higher now because the cost of feed is high. Nope. The demand actually dropped because many farmers japa. However, the demand is higher than supply. It is a different thing for dd to be higher than ss, and dd now lower than before. The few farmers still producing cannot get enough chicks. Sellers have downsized, too. That feed issue made producers pack up.

The price of imported chicken is reducing cos dollar has reduced. It was sold for N4,500 per kg around my neighbourhood but has come down to N4,200.

So, it is low production. How many hatcheries are operating now. Go verify it. Most of them are out of business presently.

How can demand for broilers be high now when feed cost is extremely high? That feed cost drove hatcheries out of business. And how many farmers can afford to buy feed now? The demand for local has not gone over any rood sir. Still what it is. And people still buy more imported frozen chicken.

How many farmers are still operating on NL?

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by happney65: 10:44am On Apr 22
epainos:

The demand can not be higher now because the cost of feed is high. Nope. The demand actually dropped because many farmers japa. However, the demand is higher than supply. It is a different thing for dd to be higher than ss, and dd now lower than before. The few farmers still producing cannot get enough chicks. Sellers have downsized, too. That feed issue made producers pack up.

The price of imported chicken is reducing cos dollar has reduced. It was sold for N4,500 per kg around my neighbourhood but has come down to N4,200.

So, it is low production. How many hatcheries are operating now. Go verify it. Most of them are out of business presently.

How can demand for broilers be high now when feed cost is extremely high? That feed cost drove hatcheries out of business. And how many farmers can afford to buy feed now? The demand for local has not gone over any rood sir. Still what it is. And people still buy more imported frozen chicken.

How many farmers are still operating on NL?

At your last paragraph "How many farmers are still operating on NL" You see how can you use internet farmers to guage the situation of things. There are still lots and lots of farmers doing very well

See,I don't deny the fact that cost of feed has gone through the roof. I actually wanted to buy much more than I bought but had to reduce because of the cost of feed and yes it is true about the cost of feed

But you saying farmers japa and some others was what caused the high cost of DOC is not true my brother.

As at the last survey I did about a week ago,I didn't see anybody,As in anybody selling imported chicken. NONE. All sells of local chicken even a KG going as high as 4,400.

The woman in my area doesnt even have again as it now very scarce. She has re-sorted to selling only fish.

And about you talking about Hatcheries parking up,This is not the first time hatcheries park up. Yet lots of them are still in existence and doing well. Will they do better when cost of feed comes down? Of course Yes

However,The breeder farmers that I know are Big Men and Big Women. Their yanga is always out of the roof because they make cool good money

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 1:17pm On Apr 22
happney65:

At your last paragraph "How many farmers are still operating on NL" You see how can you use internet farmers to guage the situation of things. There are still lots and lots of farmers doing very well.
You misunderstood my statement, sir. But first, I want to thank you for your responses. I appreciate it. So, what I meant was that the NL farmers sector is a sub-set in the broiler production. Of course, I can't use it to make the final conclusion, but it is a clue we need to take note.

See,I don't deny the fact that the cost of feed has gone through the roof. I actually wanted to buy much more than I bought but had to reduce because of the cost of feed and yes it is true about the cost of feed
Exactly.

But you saying farmers japa and some others was what caused the high cost of DOC is not true my brother.
I did not say farmers japa cos of the high cost of doc. The reason they japa is the cost of feed. So, a slight increment in doc is a big headache now. And I said that breeders japa cos of the cost of feed too. You know that breeders cannot use any food. You can get away with any food to grow cobb500, but you can not get away with its breeders. So, just like how Ross308 farmers make sure they get the best feed from A to Z so they can make 3 and above kg at 6 weeks, the same applies to breeders so their egg production can be high with good probability of getting hatched.

As at the last survey I did about a week ago,I didn't see anybody,as in anybody selling imported chicken. NONE. All sells of local chicken even a KG going as high as 4,400.
What you don't get is that Buhari banning importing poultry products helped farmers...it is why retailers patronise local farmers. Now, these dollar people have made Tinubu lift the ban last year. Cos the dollar was still on the high side, frozen can't enter. But as at N1,200 ...it is already entering. Trust me, if the dollar should go down more....that's the end. Checkmate. Go and verify in other areas. The cost of frozen chicken is coming down. Make your research, too.

The woman in my area doesnt even have again as it now very scarce. She has re-sorted to selling only fish.
Where is your area?

Major distributors are bouncing back...and they will first face Lagos, Abuja, and the PH market. If things go like this, by the end of next month, most areas in Nigeria will start eating imported frozen chickens again. And you know that those imported chickens ar3 mostly grown with steroids. But people don't care. All they want is anything cheap.

And about you talking about Hatcheries parking up,this is not the first time hatcheries park up. Yet lots of them are still in existence and doing well. Will they do better when cost of feed comes down? Of course Yes

However,The breeder farmers that I know are Big Men and Big Women. Their yanga is always out of the roof because they make cool good money
Their yanga will tripple now cos they are the ones producing. Go and verify again. Ask very well. All the marketers of doc I engaged said the same. The scarcity of broilers is the reason for the high price. Please find out again and let's return here to discuss more. Engage about 5 markets and ask for the reason. Let's hear about your finding when you have them.

Personally, I am considering entering breeding, especially foreign Turkey, but workers wahala is why I am cautious. I don't want such stress.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 6:51pm On Apr 23
Please, I need ideas on how one can get just max if 10 female and 2 male parent stocks of AA+, Cobbs500, Ross308, or any good broiler out there. Any i0dea?
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by epainos: 6:43am On Apr 25
Looks like poverty in Nigeria is hitting hard. Apart from this person who replied to me here, no one seems interested.

Anyway, I have decided to buy a carton parent chicks for now. So, I will have to make preparation for managing about 200 to 300 new chicks every week. I don't want to go this route, but it is the only option I think is available now. Paying above 400naira for broiler day old is crazy... not to talk of paying N950 and which might enter N1500 or N2000. Bola Tinubu has opened the border for poultry meat to enter Naija, so I am sure a greater percentage of the market share for local producers will reduce. Where is the gain if I have to buy N20k+ feed per bag, medications, and then pay above N1k for day old. There is no profit on it. So, I am going via this route.

The next request is that if you know how to do artificial insemination and you have enough experience, kindly reach out to me. I know even you that don't know about it will want to say you can do it. I will know if you are a wayo person. So, if you are sure of yourself, get in touch. Also, if you have experience with just managing parent stocks (not AI), get in touch with me too. I am open to even getting more parent stocks ...meaning, I can enter the hatchery business gradually at my pace. Please, I don't need you to buy me anything cos I can source for myself. So, keep off selling to me anything. I will discard you immediately. If you have suggestions, give me...I will look into it. If I need you to get it, I will ask you. So, anyone contacting me should remove his or her mind from making money from me crazily. I don't need you to approach me and start writing a N50 million incubator with another generator of N30million. I will just throw you away like a shitty paper. So. Get his straight. I want to start small...and grow at my pace. So, buzz off if your mission is to come import for me equipment. I can do that. Don't even go there. Your skill on parent breeders is what I need. That's all. You need an equipment, you tell me. Leave me to get my stuff. Don't interfere.

If you have experience with AI management of parents' stocks or with the natural mating of birds, kindly get in touch with me.

God bless!

7 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:12pm On Apr 28
Wat we do buy 100 naira during buhari time
Tinubu, if you really understand dat name
Ti sinu ibu.....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Nazgul: 7:12pm On Apr 28
I remembered those days full chicken barbecue used to be 4k.

Point and kill (full cat fish pepper soup) N700.

Stazenbaru (hope I spelt it correctly) beer used to be N100.

If you cannot afford 4k for full chicken barbecue, just buy full catfish N700 and 3 bottles of stazenbaru bringing the total to 1k, and you go de alright.

Tinubu is really making relaxation impossible for the common man. I bought 1kilo of chicken last Sunday for N5,500. It was just one full lap and another small meat they cut to add so that the weight would reach 1kilo. I was just shaking my head.

Things you could just buy those days without breaking a sweat have become luxuries under Tinubu. Yet people are still defending him.

25 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by jeromestarks: 7:13pm On Apr 28
Very soon, people will start eating pigeons.

8 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by gratiaeo(m): 7:13pm On Apr 28
Nigeria is experiencing the worst period in the history of Nigeria under criminal Tinubu. Everything is at it worse condition

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Soneh(m): 7:13pm On Apr 28
Left poultry. Rabbit farming seems to be better. I don't spend much on feeds. Just get them vegetables and you're fine

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by specialmati(m): 7:14pm On Apr 28
grin
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by ironheart(m): 7:14pm On Apr 28
High Transportation cost,
High Electricity cost for hatchery.
High wage demand from worker due to high cost of transportation to work.
High cost of feed to feed the chickens that lays the eggs
High cost of medicines for the chicken
High cost of petrol to power the water pump thats needed for the chickens

Kindly add all the high cost you can remember so that the OP can understand

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by chatinent: 7:14pm On Apr 28
After buying 100 chicks, 98 dies. And I'm eft with two survivors. Omo eh

6 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by ManOfSteel2(m): 7:14pm On Apr 28
Effects of poor economy

Very unfortunate....

Cheap and reliable MTN data at 200naira per gigabyte....
Call/Whatsapp 08109365129
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Macdeey: 7:15pm On Apr 28
cool Everything cost for this country !!!

One of the problem be say the people Wey the do poultry no fit keep up with the everyday increase of the feeds ! So plenty people dey comot dem investment from poultry farming cool cool cool
Economy hard 😔😔😔
Tinubu don finished the whole ECOWAS with em JagaSleep economic policies cool cool cool

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by OlujobaSamuel: 7:15pm On Apr 28
I've not stock birds this year, I've disposed off my last set of broilers, now focusing on my few layers and planning to sell off by Dec.
I don't have the strength for current feed price
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by JASONjnr(m): 7:17pm On Apr 28
I'm now into local chicken.....

No more agric chicken

5 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by EmmyMaestro(m): 7:18pm On Apr 28
Nothing spoil, i will continue training my local chickens. grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by specialmati(m): 7:19pm On Apr 28
cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool something that was sold for 100 naira before.i still don't understand why the criminal wants everything high

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Natbrowny: 7:19pm On Apr 28
1k per chick last week
That madness

I'm starting to kill all hawks and vultures now. Even THIER eggs. Nature is free

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by ggood: 7:19pm On Apr 28
It's use
ggood:
cool
to be 200 naira before
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Dogalmighty17: 7:20pm On Apr 28
Hunger is loading. While I'm not into chicken, I'm into hatching and raising of catfish. Everything has shot up the roof! Price of feed is no more sustainable.

Hatching catfish fingerlings can be hit or miss even with the most delligent of efforts. Imagine spending close to 600k and everything dies at 5 weeks due to bacterial infection outbreak. It isn't easy.

How will Nigerians meet protein needs going forward? Beef, goat meat, fish, eggs and chicken have become so expensive. Is this country cursed?

3 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Macdeey: 7:20pm On Apr 28
gratiaeo:
Nigeria is experiencing the worst period in the history of Nigeria under criminal Tinubu. Everything is at it worse condition
The mumuhas finally send all small businesses to sudden bankruptcy lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by Natbrowny: 7:21pm On Apr 28
JASONjnr:
I'm now into local chicken.....

No more agric chicken

Even local is high bro. And u'll need two to get the meat size of 1 broiler.

Noilers n kuroilers and duals are expensive as f*ck
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by onadana: 7:24pm On Apr 28
Cut your coat according to your material no amount of motivational speaking will change that
Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by stagger: 7:25pm On Apr 28
I stopped stocking broilers last year after the Sayed breeds I got seriously underperformed in weight despite the rising cost of feed.

I was not prepared to start battling the crazy heat and other issues like feed nearing 20k a bag, yet some people will be pricing N2,600 and N2,700 per kg. Not worth it.

I have decided to go the route of Fulani local birds. I had some a short while ago. Prolific egg-layers they are too. Only that my dogs usually wait until they are large enough and then start eating them.

3 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Day Old Chicks. What Is The Cause? Any Solution? by RealLordZeus(m): 7:25pm On Apr 28
The Agrited brand was gotten last week at 955 per chicken

The matter don pass head

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) / How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria / Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.