Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering (145 Views)

Do I Need A Degree To Become An HMO Officer? / Mechanical Engineering Or Computer Science? / Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering by guydoescode(m): 4:44pm On Apr 21
Greetings,

I’ve got a story to tell, one that’s a bit unconventional but entirely my own. This post isn’t just about sharing my journey — it’s also a documentation of the pivotal moments that led me to where I am today. And I hope that in the future, I’ll be able to look back on these words with no regrets.
Re: I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering by guydoescode(m): 4:44pm On Apr 21
A Critical Decision Point

Picture this: I’m fresh out of university, and ‘barely survived’ with a degree in mechanical engineering. According to all the textbooks and societal norms, I’m supposed to dive headfirst into a promising career in this field or try furthering my education with masters and all that. But here’s the thing — I couldn’t shake off this nagging feeling that I was heading in the wrong direction.
Re: I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering by guydoescode(m): 4:45pm On Apr 21
Lost and Confused

There were days when I felt utterly lost, unsure of what my next move should be. The logical choice would have been to stick with mechanical engineering, but deep down, I knew that path wouldn’t lead to fulfillment or happiness for me. It was like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole — it just wasn’t going to work. I might put a smile on my face and pretend or make it look like it’s working but then, it won’t now, and even on the long run, it won’t later.
Re: I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering by guydoescode(m): 4:45pm On Apr 21
The Moment of Clarity

Then, amidst the confusion and uncertainty, it hit me like a bolt of lightning: I needed to follow my passion for tech, something I have been invested in since way back in junior secondary school. Sure, it was a risky move. I had no formal training in software engineering, just some basic knowledge of coding I have been able to gather all these years and absolutely no roadmap for success. But I knew in my gut that it was the right path for me.

1 Like

Re: I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering by guydoescode(m): 4:46pm On Apr 21
Embracing the Unknown

So, I took a leap of faith and dove headfirst full time into the world of coding, joined a bootcamp, and online tutorials. It was surely exhilarating and terrifying all at once for me, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Every line of code I wrote, every new concept I grasped, felt like a step closer to finding my true calling. Coding feels like therapy for me.

1 Like

Re: I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering by guydoescode(m): 4:46pm On Apr 21
Embracing a Fresh Perspective

Fast forward to today, and I’m proud to say that I’m still finding my place in the tech world. Currently, I’m in a bootcamp learning to become a full stack software engineer. Sure, there were challenges along the way — moments of doubt, setbacks, and imposter syndrome — there would still be even more to face ahead but they would only make the journey sweeter. I’ve traded in my fears and doubts for lines of code and made sacrifices, and I’ve never been happier.

Final Thoughts

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from this experience, it’s that sometimes you have to trust your instincts, even when they lead you off the beaten path. Life is too short to spend it chasing someone else’s idea of success. So, if you’re standing at a crossroads, feeling torn between what you should do and what you want to do, take a chance. Who knows? It might just lead you to exactly where you’re meant to be.

Here’s to embracing uncertainty, chasing dreams, and forging your own path.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering by Lumidee007(m): 4:48pm On Apr 21
I wish you well in your journey. I also want to go into tech, hope it's not late for me cry

1 Like

Re: I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering by CoronaVirusPro: 4:57pm On Apr 21
IT is done already!

You coming in late, and market already saturated. You will have to game with ridiculous offers which is not worth it.

Think AI

3 Likes

Re: I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering by guydoescode(m): 5:04pm On Apr 21
Lumidee007:
I wish you well in your journey. I also want to go into tech, hope it's not late for me cry

Thank you for your well wishes! It's never too late to pursue your passion for tech. If you're committed and willing to put in the effort, you can definitely make it happen. Wishing you the best of luck in your endeavors!

1 Like

Re: I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering by Babangidapikin: 5:04pm On Apr 21
Better know where you want to specialize else you be lost in the flow ...and my candid advice get a Solar Power supply and be ready to burn enough data .. because in I.T learning is continum. .. what is relevant this month might be worthless tomorrow...

2 Likes

Re: I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering by guydoescode(m): 5:13pm On Apr 21
CoronaVirusPro:
IT is done already!

You coming in late, and market already saturated. You will have to game with ridiculous offers which is not worth it.

Think AI

Thanks for sharing your perspective! While it's may be true that I'm 'coming in late', I firmly believe that opportunities abound for those who are passionate and dedicated. Even if the market seems saturated, pursuing what I love brings its own rewards.

If, by some chance, this endeavor doesn't turn out to be as financially lucrative as I hope it will be. I'll still have no regrets. For me, success isn't just about the bottom line—it's about pursuing my passion, living a life that's true to myself, pushing boundaries, and constantly growing.

Plus, I'm already exploring AI and integrating it into my work, so I'm excited about the possibilities ahead and I'm committed to making the most of every opportunity.
Re: I Abandoned My Mechanical Engineering Degree To Embrace Software Engineering by guydoescode(m): 5:34pm On Apr 21
Babangidapikin:
Better know where you want to specialize else you be lost in the flow ...and my candid advice get a Solar Power supply and be ready to burn enough data .. because in I.T learning is continum. .. what is relevant this month might be worthless tomorrow...

Absolutely, you make a great point! Specialization is key in the field of tech. I'm currently exploring various areas and honing my skills to find where I can make the greatest impact. And you're spot on about the importance of continuous learning and staying adaptable. Thanks for the candid advice!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Google Lays Off At Least 200 Employees From Its ‘core’ Teams / Managing Chaos: Tools To Set Priorities& Make Decisions Under Pressure Course / Earn Money Trading

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.