Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,189 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

Afrobeats As A Catalyst For Social And Political Revolution - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Afrobeats As A Catalyst For Social And Political Revolution (53 Views)

Top 10 Hottest Afrobeats Songs Released In March 2021 / DOWNLOAD: DJ Kaywise – Revolution Mix Vol. 1 • Mp3 / Davido Proves To Be The Commander-in-chief Of Afrobeats As He Makes Another Inge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Afrobeats As A Catalyst For Social And Political Revolution by officialunique: 10:40pm On Apr 25
In a time where Music is becoming a Universal language, the genre Afrobeats has not been one to take a backseat. The name Afrobeats is used to describe a pop music birthed in West Africa, a blend of traditional African rhythms, jazz, highlife, and funk. Afrobeats is a new generation sound pioneered in the early 2000s but has constantly been reinventing itself, however with its foot deeply rooted in the social and political scenery of Afrobeat developed by Nigerian legend, Fela Kuti in the early 60s. Over the years, Afrobeats has been affected by various people and sounds and has now become one of the most recognized sounds in the world. Music originating from Africa from the likes of Wizkid, Davido, Burna Boy, Tiwa Savage, Yemi Alade, and many other artists has begun to gain roots worldwide.

Fela Kuti started singing this particular genre in a time of turmoil and turbulence and used his music as an awareness and frequently a snide to some of these political, social and religious leaders. The lyrics to his songs sounded warning to both leaders and followers and impacted the lives of so many individuals globally. Some of his songs like “International Thief Thief” and “Shuffering and Shmiling” addressed major socio-political issues and resonated with audiences far beyond Africa, reflecting a shared sentiment against bad governance. These songs established the foundation for a musical revolution that continues till today where music is used as a weapon against the silent tyranny of corruption and oppression.

In an interview with Abolanle born in the 80s and hails from Lagos Nigeria, she was asked if Afrobeats has had any significant effect on her perspective about social and political issues. She affirmed, noting how several Fela Kuti’s songs were an anthem in her house growing up. In her words, she said ‘When I was growing up, I remember how my Father played so many of his (Fela’s) songs and explained to I and my siblings how these songs were impacting a number of lives positively. Fela’s songs challenged the normal ways of living in his time and made all leaders both political, religious and social, take accountability for their actions. Even recently, when I listen to artists like Burna boy and Seun Kuti, I feel connected to the struggles faced by people across Africa. In my opinion, Afrobeats is more of a weapon than just a mere music.’

Just like Fela, Afrobeats artists have stood tall and unafraid of their stance when it comes to effecting a change or talking about major issues in their surroundings. In 2004, Nigerian artist Eedris Abdulkareem released a song titled ‘Jaga Jaga’ that served as a catalyst for social and political revolution at the time. The song talked about the increased rate of social vices and economic hardship faced particularly by the vulnerable in Nigeria as at that time putting him at logger heads with the then Nigerian president, Olusegun Obasanjo.

Reminiscing on the #EndSARS protests in 2020, the impact of Afrobeat went beyond mere entertainment to being a call to action. As young Nigerians took to the streets demanding change and justice for police brutality, their frustrations were expressed through music. Afrobeats artists like Burna boy, Wizkid, Davido, Tiwa Savage among others lent their voices to the movement with their lyrics serving as rallying cries, uniting protesters and inspiring hope. Burna boy, following the traumatic shooting event referred to as “Lekki Massacre” at the protest ground released a track titled “20 10 20” demanding that justice be ensured by the appropriate authorities.

While speaking with Ridwan, an upcoming afrobeat artist on the influence of the past and current shining stars of Afrobeat on the coming generation, he said that he has been inspired by various afrobeat artists who in the past have used their platform to promote the good things of the continent and also raised awareness about the not-so-very-correct things happening. ‘Growing up listening to afrobeat has shaped my thinking differently. To me now, music is not just about singing but also raising awareness and lending your voice and platform to important things,’ he said. He also mentioned that because of their boldness, he has been able to write songs that he knows will inspire and make the government and leadership of the country and continent at large.

With the popularity that Afrobeats has gained over the years, many artists from various regions of the world have begun to collaborate with many African artists further increasing its virality. These collaborations influence far more than just social and political gatherings, but even cultural gatherings. On Tiktok and Instagram, a number of international artists are now dancing Afrobeat dances as well as promoting Afrobeat dances like ‘Shaku shaku’, ‘Ázonto’, ‘Zanku’, African dressing and food with the use of their songs. This establishes the ability of the genre to transcend geographical boundaries breaking the barriers of culture and language.

Afrobeat artists have given Africans one thing that no other continental music platform has been able to give their people; a sense of unity, they have used their lyrics to bring people of different cultures and backgrounds to be one. Most importantly, they have inspired change both in the political sector and in the social aspects not just amongst the people but also for the leaders. Afrobeat has been and is still being a catalyst for the social and political revolution, they have been seen to be the voice of the voiceless in Africa as a whole.

– Fredrick Igharo

https://officialuniqueblog.com.ng/2024/03/19/afrobeats-as-a-catalyst-for-social-and-political-revolution/

(1) (Reply)

Aitch – Famous Girl / Breaking The Silence / Everything You Need To Know About Dance Shoes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.