Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,913 members, 7,831,974 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Notice To Quit - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Notice To Quit (20935 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / Quit Notice To A Tenant / I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Notice To Quit by oladele239(m): 9:53pm On May 04
So today the lawyer in charge of the property I stay in brought a notice to quit for us. Our rent is due November 31st and in the quit notice, it states we must leave that same date.

Please I want to ask is this what the law states ? Because he claims we now have 6 months notice to vacate the apartment even as our rent will be due in November...

This is a very sudden one for me

5 Likes

Re: Notice To Quit by garriAndsugar: 10:02pm On May 04
He's not out of law to serve you 6 months quit notice.

You can use the remaining time to look for another apartment or try to appeal to the landlord of the apartment to see if he can have a change of heart.

83 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by immortalcrown(m): 10:03pm On May 04
garriAndsugar:

You can use the remaining time to look for another apartment or try to appeal to the landlord of the apartment to see if he can have a change of heart.
What warrants the quit notice?

3 Likes

Re: Notice To Quit by oladele239(m): 10:06pm On May 04
immortalcrown:
What warrants the quit notice?

It's on the basis of renovation
Re: Notice To Quit by ForValour: 10:07pm On May 04
Start looking for another apartment now

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by oladele239(m): 10:07pm On May 04
ForValour:
Start looking for another apartment now

Where the money I just paid one last year December

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by ForValour: 10:09pm On May 04
oladele239:

ok

3 Likes

Re: Notice To Quit by AlphaNugget(m): 10:31pm On May 04
oladele239:
So today the lawyer in charge of the property I stay in brought a notice to quit for us. Our rent is due November 31st and in the quit notice, it states we must leave that same date.

Please I want to ask is this what the law states ? Because he claims we now have 6 months' notice to vacate the apartment even as our rent will be due in November...

This is a very sudden one for me
You will need to reply to him via another lawyer, stating that you want an extra 3 months after the expiration of your rent.

If you stay in Owerri I can assist you, if not, then kindly contact any lawyer near you

56 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by AlphaNugget(m): 10:32pm On May 04
garriAndsugar:

You are not getting it, how can you expect him to park out just at the expiration of his rent?
Why not give him an extra 3 months' notice, the 3 months' notice will start counting from the day his rent expires.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by garriAndsugar: 10:35pm On May 04
AlphaNugget:

You are not getting it, how can you expect him to park out just at the expiration of his rent?
Why not give him an extra 3 months' notice, the 3 months' notice will start counting from the day his rent expires.
Why would they give him 3 months notice when they have already served him 6 months notice?

109 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by garriAndsugar: 10:36pm On May 04
AlphaNugget:

You will need to reply to him via another lawyer, stating that you want an extra 3 months after the expiration of your rent.

If you stay in Owerri I can assist you, if not, then kindly contact any lawyer near you
For another person house grin

dey play.

47 Likes

Re: Notice To Quit by AlphaNugget(m): 10:37pm On May 04
garriAndsugar:

Why would they give him 3 months notice when they have already served him 6 months notice?
The 6 month notice is what one will tag as "over wiseness".

The 6 months' notice actually covers his rent period which is only accepted by people that doesn't know their rights, the notice should start from the expiration of his rent and not in between his rent.

108 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by AlphaNugget(m): 10:39pm On May 04
garriAndsugar:

For another person house grin

dey play.
You never see person live for landlord house for full one year because he carry landlord enter court due to this same quit notice issue? Dey play.....no allow ignorance deceive you ohh.

And for your info, I know what I am saying, cos I am into the legal system

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by garriAndsugar: 10:50pm On May 04
AlphaNugget:

The 6 month notice is what one will tag as "over wiseness".

The 6 months' notice actually covers his rent period which is only accepted by people that doesn't know their rights, the notice should start from the expiration of his rent and not in between his rent.
Which tenancy law are you quoting from?

The law states that 6 months notice should be given for a yearly tenant if breaks any of the tenancy agreement or the landlord wants to use his apartment.

They have served him the 6 months quit notice

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by garriAndsugar: 10:53pm On May 04
AlphaNugget:

You never see person live for landlord house for full one year because he carry landlord enter court due to this same quit notice issue? Dey play.....no allow ignorance deceive you ohh.

I am also into legal system and the same thing you're saying it's what of the tenants said, where's he now?

Out of the house, I served him 6months, one week notice of owner recovery and told him to prepare for court. He begged and left the apartment.

17 Likes

Re: Notice To Quit by garriAndsugar: 10:56pm On May 04
Since it's on the basis of renovation, OP can still plead for little time while he makes effort to move out after the notice expires.

3 Likes

Re: Notice To Quit by AlphaNugget(m): 11:10pm On May 04
garriAndsugar:

I am also into legal system and the same thing you're saying it's what of the tenants said, where's he now?

Out of the house, I served him 6months, one week notice of owner recovery and told him to prepare for court. He begged and left the apartment.
He begged because he was timid.

Don't pray to have me as a tenant, I will exercise my right and if you infringed on it, I will patiently wait for you in court and I pray that court case lingers for 5 years

53 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by keeper303: 11:43pm On May 04
If the court case lingers for 5years, won't you pay the accumulated rent at the end of the court case?

65 Likes

Re: Notice To Quit by yomi007k(m): 2:14am On May 05
AlphaNugget:

He begged because he was timid.

Don't pray to have me as a tenant, I will exercise my right and if you infringed on it, I will patiently wait for you in court and I pray that court case lingers for 5 years

I pity you.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by Double0h7(f): 2:25am On May 05
oladele239:

Where is the money to renew your lease once your lease expires? Use the same money to pay for a new property. If you have to downsize then do so. This is somebody’s house and they have given you sufficient advance notice.

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by oladele239(m): 6:08am On May 05
AlphaNugget:

I love in Lagos o... Would be glad if any lawyer here in Lagos can help

It's not that I don't want move but the notice seems too sudden even though it's in 6 months time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Notice To Quit by AcadaWriter: 6:13am On May 05
began looking for another apartment now

8 Likes

Re: Notice To Quit by AlphaNugget(m): 6:31am On May 05
Ignorant people are trying to misquote me, but I have said what I want to say and I owe no explanation to any body.

Go and make research and try to educate yourselves 👍

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by Houseontherock1: 6:43am On May 05
6 months is adequate for yearly tenants. I also have a couple that has to leave at the end of their first rent now because they are very stubborn. His 6 months started counting from February and he's been begging through his lawyer and family but no way! Take it easy with the landlord and see exactly why he wants you out...unless the building was sold, most landlords won't tell you they want to renovate within one year of renting out a fresh apartment

7 Likes

Re: Notice To Quit by AlphaNugget(m): 7:09am On May 05
111GlassCup:

Good one courtboy
Who be you?

Why you add those account numbers and phone numbers for my post.... 🤔
Re: Notice To Quit by oladele239(m): 8:25am On May 05
Houseontherock1:
6 months is adequate for yearly tenants. I also have a couple that has to leave at the end of their first rent now because they are very stubborn. His 6 months started counting from February and he's been begging through his lawyer and family but no way! Take it easy with the landlord and see exactly why he wants you out...unless the building was sold, most landlords won't tell you they want to renovate within one year of renting out a fresh apartment

I didn't just move in .
I have been an occupant for a couple of years
Re: Notice To Quit by Jodesky(m): 8:30am On May 05
AlphaNugget:

Whatever you mean by being 'into the legal system' is not equivalent to being a lawyer. The Notice in this instance is clearly in accordance with the Tenancy Law. If you pay your rent yearly, you are entitled to 6 month's notice to quit.
Where the term expires and your rent is in arrears, you will receive only the 7-days Notice.
That the court system could be manipulated to prolong your stay in a house is a dying culture in Lagos now. Pray you don't tempt a wicked landlord with this jungle plan as you may find yourself on the streets without knowing why.....

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by Houseontherock1: 9:06am On May 05
oladele239:

I didn't just move in .
I have been an occupant for a couple of years
Okay...then just move out

10 Likes

Re: Notice To Quit by ibechris(m): 10:57am On May 05
The quit notice is in order.

Any lawyer that says otherwise is a quack lawyer.

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Notice To Quit by Jestin: 11:24am On May 05
keeper303:

If the court case lingers for 5years, won't you pay the accumulated rent at the end of the court case?
The person u re quoting is totally ignorant of the law. He doesn’t even kn the landlord is entitled to the backlogs

31 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Free 5 Bedroom Bungalow Design and 3D For Nairalanders / What Is The Estimated Cost Of Building A 3 Bedroom Flat In Lugbe? Please Help / 10 Rock-solid Reasons Why You Should Be Investing In Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.