Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,843 members, 7,848,399 topics. Date: Sunday, 02 June 2024 at 10:26 PM

A Call To Spread The Good News To The Poor! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Call To Spread The Good News To The Poor! (46 Views)

Which Of These Two Sounds Like Good News To You? / I Want To Start Paying My Tithes To The Poor. Is Any Thing Wrong With That? / Rich Pastors Disregarding The Poor – Falana Mocks Adeboye, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Call To Spread The Good News To The Poor! by topshore(f): 12:41pm On May 07
Scripture Text: Luke 4:18

In Isaiah 61:1–3, the prophet outlined the mission that God had predetermined for the Messiah, which was to minister to the needs of those who were disadvantaged and destitute. He started off by saying, "The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to those who are economically disadvantaged." As the Bible says in Isaiah 61:1, "He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives, and release from darkness for the prisoners of the prisoner's heart." Seven hundred years later, Jesus Christ opened His public ministry by speaking from this very book, applying Isaiah’s words to Himself: “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. According to Luke 4:18–19, "He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, and to proclaim the year of the favour of the Lord." Upon reaching the conclusion, Jesus declared, "Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing" (Luke 4:21), thereby establishing Himself as the Messiah and Servant-King that was promised to Israel and who would proclaim good news to those who were in need.

What Does It Mean to Spread the Good News to the Poor?

We refer to a positive announcement as "good news." The phrase "proclaim good news" refers to the act of announcing or communicating a message that contains positive information about some recent or significant events. The Greek verb euangelizomai describes this manner of behavior. The New Testament authors specifically attributed this word to the act of proclaiming or preaching the gospel, known as evangelion. The phrase "proclaiming the good news" refers to God's message of salvation for sinful mankind through the death and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ. The English word 'evangelise' is derived from the verb 'euangelizomai'. When we preach the message of salvation in Jesus Christ, we are evangelizing. This means that we are proclaiming the good news, which is that the kingdom of God has come to earth in the person of God's own Son, who brings with him the forgiveness of sins and the gift of eternal life (Matthew 4:23; Romans 10:15).

The Old Testament used the term "the poor" to describe people who did not inherit anything, who were economically disadvantaged and had a low social rank, or who were oppressed, downtrodden, disadvantaged, and destitute. Not only were the poor helpless, but they were also dependent on influential individuals and unfavourable conditions. The term "poor" also refers to people who are dependent on God every day. The Psalms, in particular, use the concept of poverty both literally and symbolically to demonstrate the impoverished's reliance on God as their protector, deliverer, and saviour (Psalm 12:6; 35:10; 102:17; 116:6).

The New Testament carries over these ideas of "the poor," referring to both those living in poverty and those humble and living by faith in God as "the poor." In the great Sermon on the Mount that Jesus Christ delivered, the Lord begins with the Beatitudes, preaching that "God blesses you who are poor, for the Kingdom of God is yours" (Luke 6:20, New Living Translation). Matthew 5:3 describes people as "poor in spirit" when they recognise their own spiritual destitution. They realise that they are in dire need of God, and they turn to Him in order to receive the most abundant blessings that God lovingly provides through trust in Jesus Christ. John the Baptist, imprisoned, conversed with Jesus to confirm his identity as the promised Messiah for Israel. "Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor" (Luke 7:22). This is the response that Jesus gave to John.

According to Matthew 11:2, one of the authoritative signs that Jesus was the Messiah was the fact that He communicated the good news to those who were in need. The argument that James made was as follows: "Hasn't God chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith? "They are the ones who will inherit the kingdom that He promised to those who love him, aren't they? "

A New Living Translation of James 2:5 "When it came to the poor people whom Christ came to save," the apostle Paul explained the breadth of Christ's selfless generosity, saying, "You know the generous grace of our Lord Jesus Christ." Even though He was wealthy, He chose to become poor for your sake, so that through His lack of wealth, He could make you wealthy (2 Corinthians 8:9, New Living Translation).

Proclaiming the good news of salvation to those who were in need was the primary purpose of the entire mission that Jesus Christ carried out. In both a tangible and a spiritual sense, Jesus is a Saviour who fulfils the needs of those who are in need. A further point to consider is that He completely satisfies them (Luke 1:53; 6:20–21; Matthew 5:6).

However, it is important to know that you must be born again and Spirit-filled to be able to spread the good news. Without the Spirit of God upon you, you cannot share the Gospel to the poor. Similar to our Scripture text today, Romans 10:9–14 makes it clear that you must be first be saved before you can preach salvation to others.

[b]"9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”[/b]Romans 10:9–14 (NIV).

If you are reading this and you are not saved, now is the time to give your life to Christ, for tomorrow may be too late. I'll encourage you to say this short prayer as you open your heart to Jesus Christ:

"Lord Jesus, I come to You now. Come into my life, take control of my life and change my world. I say bye-bye to the devil, I enter into the Kingdom of Light. Thank You, Jesus Christ; Your in Mighty Name, I pray, amen."

Congratulations!!!

God bless you.

Peace!

Also read: https://www.gotquestions.org/proclaim-good-news-to-the-poor.html

(1) (Reply)

The Right Attitude (2) / Morning Digest / Tayammum In Islam.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.