Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,952 members, 7,841,665 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

Russian Army Vs Nigerian Army. Nairalander's Opinion - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Russian Army Vs Nigerian Army. Nairalander's Opinion (378 Views)

Opinion:- 10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is Better Than Canada / My New Opinion Of China After 1year And 7months / Nigerian Passport Vs Nigerian Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russian Army Vs Nigerian Army. Nairalander's Opinion by mushroomFarm: 10:46am On May 08
Like I always say. This is not a USA vs Russia post. I do not like to meddle in the political frictions between these two super powers. I just love to talk about where I live (Russia) and some lovely experiences I have had.
So while we are always quick to take sides when it comes to issues of Russia and America, I want it to be Russia vs our dear Country Nigeria today.
Tomorrow 9th of May is victory day in Russia. We mark and commemorate the day brave Russian soldiers silenced the Nazis of Germany which ultimately led to the end of the second world war.
In preparation for this, there has been several military and para-military shows and programs within the cities of Russia even in Yakutsk(Coldest city in the world -63 degrees) where I live, bringing citizens and foreigners like me much closer to Russian soldiers and see live and direct what these 'super humans' looks like.
I am disappointed! But it's not what you think
Let me share my experience with you.
Russian Armed forces vs Nigerian Armed forced
1. Russian armed forces respect citizens and foreigners extremely!
So I was walking to the epidemiology center in the city to get a medical book needed to start my holiday medical practice. Some road sections were blocked because of military functions and police officers were helping drivers and pedestrians with alternative routes. Someone how I misunderstood a directive from one of the police officers and ended up finding myself in a lane with a vehicle facing me and a man dressed in ceremonial military attire with about three or four stars on his shoulders. (I am not familiar with Russian military ranking)
Imagine yourself standing in front of a Nigerian army's military general's car because you misunderstood a directive. While I was shocked standing there...he smiled, waved and said "Африканец! рад видеть вас здесь." Which sort of means African! I am glad to see you here. and everyone around him just smile.
Meanwhile I have never ever seen a Russian soldier holding a belt, a cane nor any form of torture equipment and they are very gentle with the citizens. In fact I have never seen a police office with an AK-47 here even though this weapon is being manufactured here in Russia. But Nigeria is a different and sad story!
2. Russian Armed Forces has a high level of cooperation with the Russian police force.
We all in Nigeria know that the Nigeria armed forces enjoy beating and dehumanizing our police as much as they love doing it to civilians. Both forces clash every other week, throwing shameful punches every now and then. I observed that in Russia, all law enforcement responsibilities that has to do with civilians is handled by the police. Even when the armed forces are staging any program, the police are in charge of securing the location, keeping civilians safe and crowd control.
3. Russians love the Russian armed forces!
In Nigeria we curse and hurl insults on those uniformed Nigerian men on daily bases, no thanks to their bad reputation. Many Nigerians even love to mock the Nigerian armed forces about how useless they can be against terrorists and we all saw how no one has faith in our army when a military operation in Niger was being considered.
It is a different story in Russia!
The people speak of their armed forces with love and pride. They love them, you will see people waiving the Russian flag and chanting victory slogans even trying to take pictures with them within the limits of what is allowed.
To be honest it got me wondering how these Russians built deadly combat machines and still managed to keep their human and loving side.
I want to use this opportunity to let the administration of our military (Nigerian armed forces) understand that soldiers hitting and torturing civilians is not a normal thing at all! They should learn from countries like Russia how to be tough and 'reasonable' at the same time because, certainly while the Russian military personnel's might seem docile within the city, I think 99.999% of all of us on this forum will agree that our 'aggressive' guys are no match for them.
I also realized that unlike the Nigerian army military structure where the ranking hierarchy of a thing has been manipulated into some sort of occult and a rigid system to fuel and pamper the arrogance of some unworthy superior thereby making it impossible for juniors to voice a dissenting opinion, Russian armed forces practice and enforce hierarchy too but there is deep and healthy relationship between people at the top of the ladder and the junior officers below.
You can observe for yourself on YouTube the reaction and interaction of junior military officers when our president (President Vladimir Putin) or senior military officers interacts with them. (For instance you might see President V. Putin discussing with some officers and you will see another group of young officers doing their own private discussions just behind him or close to him)
Then compare it to what we have in Nigeria. Not to talk of a recent scandal where a senior officer in Nigeria imprisoned, molested and abused a junior female officer. The case has somewhat been swept under the bed I think.
In conclusion our government should do something about these abuses, restructure the armed forces, learn from countries like Russia, create rules and laws that will prevent civilian abuse by these guys and enforce these laws.
And as a Nigerian, make sure you do everything possible to visit any of these first world countries are least once in your life and experience the other side of life.
#StayBlessed.

Justwise mynd44 nlfpmod

Re: Russian Army Vs Nigerian Army. Nairalander's Opinion by muyico(m): 11:51am On May 08
comparing death and life
Re: Russian Army Vs Nigerian Army. Nairalander's Opinion by mushroomFarm: 2:23am On May 09
muyico:
comparing death and life
Okuama, endsars,I think they know how to kill civilians much more than how to defend them
Re: Russian Army Vs Nigerian Army. Nairalander's Opinion by illicit(m): 12:28pm On May 16
Nice one
Re: Russian Army Vs Nigerian Army. Nairalander's Opinion by Xpeerence: 12:36pm On May 16
Abroad life is za sweetest.
Re: Russian Army Vs Nigerian Army. Nairalander's Opinion by Komu1048(m): 12:56pm On May 16
God should pls give me grace to even leave this country n experience how a country ought to be. All this kind of info just give me Goose bump yet no money to even go Benin

1 Like

Re: Russian Army Vs Nigerian Army. Nairalander's Opinion by Maxxim: 6:04am On May 24
I believe all the arms of government are designed to work against Nigerians, even Nigerians themselves, reason you see them making decisions that has no benefits for the ordinary citizen.
Almost every Nigerians believes they're better than any one else and will never miss the chance to bully you if there's any opportunity.

(1) (Reply)

Enquiring / Several Houses Destroyed As Petrol Tanker Falls, Spills Content In Oyo / Help Me Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.