Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,804 members, 7,834,700 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac (28062 Views)

Real Housewives Of Abuja Featuring Jaruma Set To Debut / Favourite Housewife: Real Housewives Of Lagos [OPINION] / Award Winning Franchise, The Real Housewives Set To Debut In Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by muhammaduyusufu: 3:11pm On May 09
The show’s been praised for its representation of Nigerian culture, particularly thanks to Dr. Wendy Osefo and the introduction of Nneka Ihim in season 8. But a recent episode has caused some viewers to wonder what is Os* in RHOP and others have drawn issue with Wendy’s definition of it because they felt like she misrepresented its meaning.

The Real Housewives of Potomac is Bravo’s reality TV series following the personal and professional lives of wealthy women living in Potomac, Maryland. The series—which is a part of Bravo’s Real Housewives franchise featuring 11 cities across the world—premiered in 2016 and is the eighth installment in the Real Housewives franchise.

The Real Housewives of Potomac Season 8 cast includes Wendy, Nneka, Gizelle Bryant, Ashley Darby, Robyn Dixon, Karen Huger, Candiace Dillard Bassett, and Mia Thornton. The cast also includes Friends of Charrisse Jackson-Jordan and Keiana Stewart. Nneka is married to Dr. Ikenna “Iyke” Ihim, a board-certified medical doctor, philanthropist, and night lounge investor.

In Season 8, Episode 2, the topic of Wendy being Os* or, rather, Ashley Darby’s lie about Wendy being Os* was a major plot point and some fans were upset about Wendy’s representation of it. So what is Os* on RHOP and why are fans so divided?

What is Os*? To understand the root of Wendy and Nneka’s feud, some context is required first. In Nigerian culture, “Os*” refers to a social caste system among the Igbo ethnic group. The term “Os*” historically designated individuals considered outcasts or untouchables due to their perceived association with deities or spirits.

Efforts have been made to eradicate the “Os*” caste system, as it is seen as discriminatory and contrary to modern principles of equality and human rights. In 1956, Nnamdi Azikiwe, then the premier of Eastern Nigeria and later the first president of Nigeria, spearheaded the passage of a law aimed at abolishing Os* and its social disadvantages.

Both Wendy and Nneka have said they are Igbo. According to Brittanica, “Traditional Igbo religion includes belief in a creator god (Chukwu or Chineke), an earth goddess (Ala), and numerous other deities and spirits as well as a belief in ancestors who protect their living descendants. Revelation of the will of the deities is sought by divination and oracles.” After colonization occurred completely in Nigeria, the predominant religion became Christianity. Brittanica states, “Many Igbo are now Christians, some practicing a syncretic version of Christianity intermingled with indigenous beliefs.”

“Wendy’s family is the Western equivalent of the ‘wrong side of the tracks,” an insider shared with AllAboutTheTea.com. “Her family and their ancestors have had bad reputations because of evils stemming from past generations. They are ‘os*,’ essentially cursed.”

Taking information from the article above, Ashley told Wendy that Nneka considered her an “Os*”, meaning “outcast”—a definition that some fans thought was reductive. “As a Nigerian, this Os* thing is no joke,this is wicked ,careless,reliving. Please you guys need to read on this. Families have been torn apart, for Ashley to use this means she did her research, knew the implications and still went on to use it. Ashley is desperate, this is so random for a Nigerian not to talk of a non Nigerian. If Ashley continues this way reality tv or not,it won’t end well for her. [sic],” a fan wrote in the comments section of YouTube.

Another said: “Listen, as a full-blooded Igbo person, someone who believes in the well-being of the Igbo nation, you should never be seen talking about Os* cast. I’m not saying this because I’m an outcast … well if you think I am, that is your business! My problem is I can’t lay my hands on significant reasons for the stigma. There is no danger in associating with them [Os*], so why would someone who claims to be a doctor project her tribe poorly on a global TV [show]? Some of these people you stigmatize don’t even know the story, nor believe in it.”

But the fact is that being Os* is highly nuanced. According to The Life, “The Os* Caste System is an ancient practice in Igboland that discourages social interaction and marriage with a group of people, referred to as Os* (outcasts). This is because they dedicate these Os* people to the Alusis (deities) and are thus seen as inferior to the Nwadiala (free-borns).” It’s outdated, so basically if Wendy’s family has Os* origins, it’s nothing to be ashamed of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qsiq_cXthc?si=6Cn0aeNubVSVuPHH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ix6jGO31Q?si=aYr7WTe0Cc37YTnp

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by YorubaNiBaba(m): 3:49pm On May 09
Nothing good can ever come out from that side...

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by Dagger111(m): 4:01pm On May 09
Awon werey gbogbo

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by 1bunne4lif(m): 4:01pm On May 09
Wahala pro max

2 Likes

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by Thugnificent(m): 4:01pm On May 09
Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by tobenuel(m): 4:01pm On May 09
Lets not talk about it then

Jesus Christ didn't destroy our tradition and culture rather HE modified it. We are all free borns

But when it is time to marry, our mothers will secretly try to find out if one's spouse to be is an ***

But also black Americans talk too much and too lousy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by beryledibor: 4:02pm On May 09
Got to be a promotion post. Because I don't get the essence of this post

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by Nahunger(m): 4:02pm On May 09
angry
Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by kasim155: 4:02pm On May 09
I thank God for Christianity that wipe out so many evil cultural practices in many parts of Africa and beyond.

18 Likes

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by PARADIZEPRIEST: 4:03pm On May 09
These are not real house wives,they are fake house wives with olosho vibes all over their erotic bodies angry

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by Coldspice: 4:03pm On May 09
Such a shame

3 Likes

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by YesDaddyTill203: 4:04pm On May 09
OSU outcast. Same thing on NL.
Most are not housewives oh. Na olosho masquerading as housewives. Same thing with basketball housewives. Most na desperate oloshos looking for cheap attention.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by CartelKenneth: 4:04pm On May 09
Real housewives of Potopoto bastard women who are sent from the pit of hell

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by Judolisco(m): 4:05pm On May 09
I was taught osu caste system in social studies many years ago, do the igbos still practice dis system? Can a freeborn marry from the osu clan?
The igbos in rivers and some parts of delta do claim they ain't igbos and hate to be called one, are they osus as well? Or were they termed as osus in the past?
... Also some igbos hate the igbos from ebonyi, are the ebonyi igbos osus as well?

So many questions but the most important one is, is this tradition still in practice till today or it's a thing of the past?

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by allanphash7(m): 4:05pm On May 09
Gather here if you don't understand what they are talking about

18 Likes

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by olisaEze(m): 4:05pm On May 09
cool

2 Likes

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by ElSudani: 4:05pm On May 09
If we talk now they will call it tribalism. 2024 and we are still talking about nonsense.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by OceanGate33: 4:06pm On May 09
Too bad
Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by garriAndsugar: 4:06pm On May 09
I no even understand wetin dem dey talk.

My gbola just dey rise like soaked garri

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by AuschwitzPrefec: 4:07pm On May 09
People that are quick to call others bigots and racists are the same people discriminating amongst themselves.

Everything they accuse others of, they are a thousand times more guilty.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by Ebeano49(m): 4:07pm On May 09
Forget it. Fact is most of the fierce anti-osu campaigners in public are usually the first to send their relatives in the villages to go 'ask questions' before aggreging to marriage proposals for their sons and daughters.

14 Likes

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by jiz: 4:07pm On May 09
Wahala
Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by Juoflife1(f): 4:08pm On May 09
This osu thing is not practiced in my part of Igbo land

4 Likes

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by Slytiger: 4:08pm On May 09
Dem don export their wahala go America. Nigerians and drama are 5 & 6. One would think these Americana-Nigerians should know better but No, they are no different from we Nigerians in Nigeria grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by Coldspice: 4:10pm On May 09
Slytiger:
Dem don export their wahala go America. Nigerians and drama are 5 & 6. One would think these Americana-Nigerians should know better but No, they are no different from we Nigerians in Nigeria grin

3 Likes

Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by santaclaws: 4:11pm On May 09
So they have taken this thing abroad... na wa o 🙄
Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by Slytiger: 4:11pm On May 09
beryledibor:
Got to be a promotion post. Because I don't the essence of this post
It's educative actually. The article has the best explanation of the so called caste system. I have never really understood it until now. Good to know their are efforts to eradicate it starting from even Nnamdi Azikiwe.
Re: Slur: Nigerian-Americans Disgrace Themselves On Real Housewives Of Potomac by PlayerMeji: 4:12pm On May 09
Tribalism within tribalism...

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Emeka Enyiocha: Number One Nollywood Action Hero / Miyonse, Soma And Efe Up For Eviction This Week On Big Brother Naija (pics) / BBNaija: Nina "My Greatest Fear Is Losing Collins, My Boyfriend"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.