Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,987 members, 7,841,775 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? (153 Views)

Hisbah: Use Headless Mannequins To Advertise, Cover Their Breast, Bottom Shapes / Male And Female Mannequins At Affordable Prices / Traffic Boutique! Mannequins On The Road In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? by Tendd: 6:30pm On May 11
I have observed something unsavoury in Nigerian fashion stores.Why are there mostly white mannequins inside and outside of your fashion stores?One can hardly find our black skin images infront of fashion and designer stores.Is it that you truly hate oneself and your natural black skin? What is going on? Everywhere is just white images all over the place.
Re: Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? by MaziX(m): 6:37pm On May 11
Na village u dey.. try move out... black ones are even more expensive and unique.. top designers use them
Re: Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? by Tendd: 6:45pm On May 11
MaziX:
Na village u dey.. try move out... black ones are even more expensive and unique.. top designers use them
I noticed it in Port Harcourt and also recently in Owerri.It is all over the place.In some cases, one can find only 1 black mannequin with even caucasoid look and the rest are just plain white images.
Re: Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? by Zonefree(m): 6:46pm On May 11
Tendd:

I noticed it in Port Harcourt and also recently in Owerri.It is all over the place.In some cases, one can find only 1 black mannequin with even caucasoid look and the rest are just plain white images.
How about you start to mass produce black mannequin and distribute all over the country.

2 Likes

Re: Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? by thesicilian: 7:32pm On May 11
If you make yours you can paint them any colour you want

3 Likes

Re: Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? by Tendd: 8:13pm On May 11
Zonefree:

How about you start to mass produce black mannequin and distribute all over the country.
I can guarantee you with all certainty that the producers of mannequin do have images for all races but are often shocked that most Nigerian buyers do
prefer White mannequins over their own black and Negroid features..So it's not about manufacturing anything for a people, but if the people actually want such black images infront of their stores.Talk about self -hate of the highest propensity.If you visit Asia, you will find Asian looking images that look like them everywhere at their fashion stores,same for middle Easterns and also Europe but in Nigeria..Boom it's all white images.We are Africans with majorly dark skin,kinky hair,full lips,wide nose etc.We should have images that look like us Infront of our stores
Re: Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? by Tendd: 8:18pm On May 11
Mr moderator.This topic is not about fashion per se.l think we need this at the first page so folks can discuss this with an open mind.Let us see what others think.lt's all about self -love and identity.We are all here to learn, to grow and to improve.
Re: Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? by Tendd: 8:23pm On May 11
thesicilian:
If you make yours you can paint them any colour you want
It's not about painting anything.Most Africans have their unique features like kinky hair,full lips, broad nose,etc.These should reflect on mannequins in our Country.We must represent and be proud of who we truly are,at least in our own country.
Even in Europe, some stores have black mannequins to give a sense of belonging and support to their black minority but in Nigeria..na white images everywhere with little or no black at all.
Re: Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? by thesicilian: 10:05pm On May 11
Tendd:

It's not about painting anything.Most Africans have their unique features like kinky hair,full lips, broad nose,etc.These should reflect on mannequins in our Country.We must represent and be proud of who we truly are,at least in our own country.
Even in Europe, some stores have black mannequins to give a sense of belonging and support to their black minority but in Nigeria..na white images everywhere with little or no black at all.
My point is, these images as simple as they are to make, are being produced mostly by the whites. So you can't really blame them for making them after their own likeness. Instead of us to complain, we can as well start producing our own in any likeness we want.

1 Like

Re: Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? by Tendd: 10:42pm On May 11
thesicilian:

My point is, these images as simple as they are to make, are being produced mostly by the whites. So you can't really blame them for making them after their own likeness. Instead of us to complain, we can as well start producing our own in any likeness we want.
I understand you.l am not apportioning blame on the whites.Most African American churches, fashion stores etc have pure negroid paintings, pictures, images on their walls, stores or other business places .There are plenty of black mannequins for sale.The manufacturers make images of all different races.The problem here is, whether Nigerian buyers are even interested in buying such black images,at least judging by the number of Caucasian images,we find everywhere.
Re: Why No Black Mannequins At Fashion Stores? by thesicilian: 10:51am On May 12
Tendd:

I understand you.l am not apportioning blame on the whites.Most African American churches, fashion stores etc have pure negroid paintings, pictures, images on their walls, stores or other business places .There are plenty of black mannequins for sale.The manufacturers make images of all different races. The problem here is, whether Nigerian buyers are even interested in buying such black images,at least judging by the number of Caucasian images, we find everywhere.
That's another issue to consider. Sometimes the Nigerians themselves tend to prefer the "foreign stuff" to their own

(1) (Reply)

Buy High Quality Genuine Skincare Products / How Can I Grow My Followers On Instagram / Fashion Entrepreneurial Support Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.