Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,865 members, 7,841,246 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority (623 Views)

A Coastal Highway Of Misplaced Priority & Abuse Of Due Process - Premium Times / ‘Misplaced Priority’ – Obi Questions Lagos-calabar Super Highway Project / Construction Of Coastal Road From Lagos To Eight States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Yabsun(m): 8:50am On May 12
Come think of it… what if half the money…whooping 15 trillion naira FG is splurging on the coastal road construction is used to upgrade the power grid! What if FG increases generation, expands transmission grid and empower discos infrastructure to aid them taking more energy while the other half is diverted to rehabilitating the existing dilapidated roads that connect same southwest southeast and south-south states?

As much as FG claims Discos is rejecting energy, I can tell you for free that there are limitations across the tiers of power system in the country….from TCN limitations to Discos limitations due to their limited injection substations.

It baffles me when able men who have thinking capability will support a project whose intention is more ostentatious and corruption exemplified than boosting the economy. Majority of Nigerians would never till death ply coastal road including the supporters of this clueless government. Adding power to the grid would directly and indirectly have positive impacts to all Nigerians.

We can all travel from Lagos to Calabar with the existing road infrastructure as at today. We can’t say the same on power supply. I can go by mentioning the importance of power supply to individuals, businesses and economy growth of the country.

We are all enemy of ourselves if we fail to tell ourselves the truth rather shrouding our judgment with propaganda. Let’s tell ourselves the truth, that coastal road project is a total misplaced priority and oozes corruption in the face of this bleeding economy. Ire o ✌️

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by SalamRushdie: 8:52am On May 12
Who told you any coastal road is being built?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Validated: 11:12am On May 12
Oga, please leave the Emilokans in their tomfoolery. That coastal road will not be completed in 15 years, and the cost escalation may exceed 100%. I tell you why.
The amount of bridges you will need to build on the road from Delta thtrough Bayelsa and Rivers to Cross River is nothing less than 50% of the total road project. Imagine the construction of 10 lane Bridge that spans over 200km. It will be one of the wonders of our time.

Some of us know Tinubu as the back of our hands. In 2002, sensing that he delivered zero project, came up with "Imagine a 4th Mainland Bridge". The swung into action before election came in 2003. Land cost in Ikorodu and Badore became hotcakes on account of Tinubu's promises. As you and I are talking, NO 4TH MAINLAND BRIDGR. It has been a campaign promise for 20 years.
Just as the idea of a 4th Mainland bridge was a promise that won him Epe and environ in 2003, he aims to "scam" SS to vote him in 2007. After 2031, that oroject will go into political comatose.
Thereafter, the blame will be heaped on Umahi, an Igbo, who stalled a South-South project..

For anyone in doubt, please visit lower Niger to see where River Niger flows into the Atlantic to appreciate the enormous work required on this "WHITE ELEPHANT PROJECT".

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by MEEVEET: 11:23am On May 12
Yabsun:
Come think of it… what if half the money…whooping 15 trillion naira FG is splurging on the coastal road construction is used to upgrade the power grid! What if FG increases generation, expands transmission grid and empower discos infrastructure to aid them taking more energy while the other half is diverted to rehabilitating the existing dilapidated roads that connect same southwest southeast and south-south states?

As much as FG claims Discos is rejecting energy, I can tell you for free that there are limitations across the tiers of power system in the country….from TCN limitation to Discos limitations due to their limited injection substations.

It baffles me when able men who have think capability will support a project whose intention is more ostentatious and corruption exemplified than boosting the economy. Majority of Nigerians would never till death ply coastal road including the supporters of this clueless government. Adding power to the grid would directly and indirectly have positive impacts to all Nigerians.

We can all travel from Lagos to Calabar with the existing road infrastructure as at today. We can’t say the same on power supply. I can go by mentioning the importance of power supply to individuals, businesses and economy growth of the country.

We are all enemy of ourselves if we fail to tell ourselves the truth rather shrouding our judgment with propaganda. Let’s tell ourselves the truth, that coastal road project is a total misplaced priority and oozes corruption in the face of this bleeding economy. Ire o ✌️
I agree that costal road is a misplaced priority project

You want to invest borrowed money into light? Electricity? Who would pay for the light

Say we charge 150per kwh... And let's assume an average house hold use an average of 5kw per our... That's 750 per hour . .. The bills comes out to 560k monthly... Say a house uses 2.5kw per hour that's 280k per month

That's about $200 which is not that bad

But the issue is Nigerians are too poor to pay $200 fo light

So focus should not be power, or rail or second Niger bridge or the likes

Should be 80% provision of credit facilities 20% maintainance of already existing critical infrastructures

When we can get GDP per capita to $10k to $15k naturally constant electricity would follow

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by tunjiajayi: 11:26am On May 12
Yabsun:

As much as FG claims Discos is rejecting energy, I can tell you for free that there are limitations across the tiers of power system in the country….from TCN limitation to Discos limitations due to their limited injection substations.

It baffles me when able men who have think capability will support a project whose intention is more ostentatious and corruption exemplified than boosting the economy. Majority of Nigerians would never till death ply coastal road including the supporters of this clueless government. Adding power to the grid would directly and indirectly have positive impacts to all Nigerians.

All of una don turn analyst onto something wey dem no consult you for and that your opinion matters naught.

Face front.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Beautifulday: 11:26am On May 12
Yabsun:

Most of our leaders have vested interest in many projects they under take.

3 Likes

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Beautifulday: 11:32am On May 12
MEEVEET:

You want to invest borrowed money into light? Electricity? Who would pay for the light

Say we charge 150per kwh... And let's assume an average house hold use an average of 5kw per our... That's 750 per hour . .. The bills comes out to 560k monthly... Say a house uses 2.5kw per hour that's 280k per month

Should be 80% provision of credit facilities 20% maintainance of already existing critical infrastructures

When we can get GDP per capita to $10k to $15k naturally constant electricity would follow

Egypt borrowed the money they used to upgrade their power system. Most countries do.

Most of those that pay for power are not private individuals but business enterprises. If you have been following MAN, you would have seen the amount they waste on power generation.

Let's assume individuals are to pay for the light self. Do you know how many homes that doesn't have light in the country. Half of major cities in Nigeria don't see up to 5 hours light in a day. What does that tell you?

Do you know some flat are charged 40,000 plus per month yet they don't see light up to 10 hours a day? The power sector is in massive corruption.

Last year, they bought high profile vehicles and share a lot of money.
Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by MEEVEET: 11:45am On May 12
Beautifulday:

Egypt borrowed the money they used to upgrade their power system. Most countries do.

Most of those that pay for power are not private individuals but business enterprises. If you have been following MAN, you would have seen the amount they waste on power generation.

Let's assume individuals are to pay for the light self. Do you know how many homes that doesn't have light in the country. Half of major cities in Nigeria don't see up to 5 hours light in a day. What does that tell you?

Do you know some flat are charged 40,000 plus per month yet they don't see light up to 10 hours a day? The power sector is in massive corruption.

Last year, they bought high profile vehicles and share a lot of money.
Egypt GDP per capita is 4 times yours

Has a, well developed tourism sector that can pay for the light

They have a good manufacturing sector that needed the light

Corruption is not the reason we are undeveloped oga.
Nigerians don't understand the development stages

3 Likes

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Gbogbowa: 11:48am On May 12
MEEVEET:

if we have electricity and 1000000 pay just 2000 monthly that money will be recovered in less than 10 years

1 Like

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Gbogbowa: 11:50am On May 12
MEEVEET:

corruption and waste is our major undoing has a nation
Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Ola9ja23: 11:51am On May 12
IPOBidients and Bitter Obituarists are crying on all threads 😀

Hope you guys are still happy about Naira devaluation?

Let Naira get to 50000 against dollar so that we can all be happy together 😁😀😀

Two can play the game

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by MEEVEET: 12:36pm On May 12
Gbogbowa:
if we have electricity and 1000000 pay just 2000 monthly that money will be recovered in less than 10 years
Lmao where did you get the maths from or you just assumed
Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by kokoA(m): 12:39pm On May 12
The one they have been pumping since 1999 what happened to it?
Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Forkthiefnubu: 2:07pm On May 12
MEEVEET:

Insightful thinker
Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by BrodaBenad: 2:07pm On May 12
They'll attack you oo

leave them

we'll be here to welcome dem when Thier sense start working
Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by loffyloffy: 2:45pm On May 12
MEEVEET:

I like your response , very inteligent and realistic unlike many that we see here.

I see nothing wrong with the coastal road though more so, since the fg is going to be responsible for only about 30% of the cost.
That road could be transformational.

I've lived in Australia where thery have such roads, it opened up the beaches and brought tourism and development.

Imagine the impact that road will have in just lagos alone?..imagine what it will mean to open up the sea fronts in ogun, ondo, cross river,akwa ibom, bayelsea and rivers state.

I do agree that the project is overtly ambitious and it will be remarkable if it could be delivered 100%. But even at 50% the impact will be massive.

The talk that other roads have been abandoned is not true, work is going on in various projects all over the country and one does not disturb another...the infrastructural deficit that Nigeria a country of maybe 200million people have is massive, clossing that gap will improve the economy and our way of life.

Yes we need to become a credit society to move forward..it will grow the economy and transform our society..Data is important if this is to happen and we must commend the govt starting from Jonathan(BVN)..Buhari(NIN)..BAT needs to integrate all this and come up with a comprebhensive credit rating that will open up the credit space.

On electricity, people are not even paying for the current epililetic power supply, many are by passing meters here and there, how can we expect them to pay when supply becomes better.

The idea that someone will just borrow us money that will just solve all our electricity problems doesn't jell, when we are not even paying for the govt subsisdised electricity that we currently have.

Wages needs to go up, the economy expanded and our GDP per capital massively improved as you righly said, then other things will follow

1 Like

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Beautifulday: 2:53pm On May 12
MEEVEET:

You think paying back is a one year thing. Some loan take 100 years.

How would the loan for the road be paid back?

1 Like

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by babasolution: 2:58pm On May 12
I've lost some near miss opportunities because of lack of electricity, I imagine sometimes,what if there was no electricity issue in Nigeria?

There will be massive upscaling of so many things.

People don't really understand the implications of the poor electricity in Nigeria.
It's disastrously massive.
Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by lamentor78(m): 3:09pm On May 12
Yabsun:

Nobody needs your opinion
Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by MEEVEET: 3:52pm On May 12
Beautifulday:

You think paying back is a one year thing. Some loan take 100 years.

How would the loan for the road be paid back?
If you borrow $10 billion at 3% interest
Interest alone is $300 million dollars... In 100 years you would have paid $30 billion dollars in interest for a $10 billion dollars loan and would still need to pay back the $10 billion

The question is even if the road loan is at 1% interest... Do you think that loan can generate $200 million net profit yearly? If yes how

2 Likes

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by ibechris(m): 3:58pm On May 12
U are a brilliant guy.

U know all their antics.

Validated:
Oga, please leave the Emilokans in their tomfoolery. That coastal road will not be completed in 15 years, and the cost escalation may exceed 100%. I tell you why.
The amount of bridges you will need to build on the road from Delta thtrough Bayelsa and Rivers to Cross River is nothing less than 50% of the total road project. Imagine the construction of 10 lane Bridge that spans over 200km. It will be one of the wonders of our time.

Some of us know Tinubu as the back of our hands. In 2002, sensing that he delivered zero project, came up with "Imagine a 4th Mainland Bridge". The swung into action before election came in 2003. Land cost in Ikorodu and Badore became hotcakes on account of Tinubu's promises. As you and I are talking, NO 4TH MAINLAND BRIDGR. It has been a campaign promise for 20 years.
Just as the idea of a 4th Mainland bridge was a promise that won him Epe and environ in 2003, he aims to "scam" SS to vote him in 2007. After 2031, that oroject will go into political comatose.
Thereafter, the blame will be heaped on Umahi, an Igbo, who stalled a South-South project..

For anyone in doubt, please visit lower Niger to see where River Niger flows into the Atlantic to appreciate the enormous work required on this "WHITE ELEPHANT PROJECT".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Topman7: 4:55pm On May 12
IPOB EMERGENCY NIGERIANS.

THE ROAD IS NOT PASSING THROUGH ONITSHA AND NNEWI AND ENUGU.

SO IT IS NOT A PRIORITY.

IT ONLY PASSES THROUGH IRRELEVANT PLACES LIKE CALABAR AND THE NIGER DELTA, EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE THE REGION THAT FEEDS US.

SOUTH-SOUTH PEOPLE TAKE NOTE..

THE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO FORM A COUNTRY WITH YOU, called Biafr.a.

GUESS WHO THEY WILL PRIORITISE? YOUR REGION OR THEIRS?
Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Sweetberry123: 7:27pm On May 12
Some nigerians are funny how can coastal road be more important than electricity?? That Australia u are talking about if they had to choose between electricity and coastal road tou think they will choose coastal road? Think of how much operating costs of businesses will reduce if we had constant supply of electricity, think of how much forex will be saved from not importing generators, some people deserve to be shot. Coastal highway to boost tourism? Go Inemo beach for akwaibom and see how useless that place is or obudu ranch. Tourism will maybe thrive in lagos that's is but in other states not so much so. If you dont know tinubu dem don buy all surrounding lands fr the so called coastal road finish. Person wen no chop belleful wetin concern am with tourism.

1 Like

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Beautifulday: 9:45pm On May 12
MEEVEET:

If you borrow $10 billion at 3% interest
Interest alone is $300 million dollars... In 100 years you would have paid $30 billion dollars in interest for a $10 billion dollars loan and would still need to pay back the $10 billion

The question is even if the road loan is at 1% interest... Do you think that loan can generate $200 million net profit yearly? If yes how

Your last paragraph is the question I asked you. How would the federal government pay back the loan?

I think it is easier to pay back loan used to generate and distribute electricity than building that particular road

1 Like

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by Sannisege: 12:50am On May 13
Sweetberry123:
Some nigerians are funny how can coastal road be more important than electricity?? That Australia u are talking about if they had to choose between electricity and coastal road tou think they will choose coastal road? Think of how much operating costs of businesses will reduce if we had constant supply of electricity, think of how much forex will be saved from not importing generators, some people deserve to be shot. Coastal highway to boost tourism? Go Inemo beach for akwaibom and see how useless that place is or obudu ranch. Tourism will maybe thrive in lagos that's is but in other states not so much so. If you dont know tinubu dem don buy all surrounding lands fr the so called coastal road finish. Person wen no chop belleful wetin concern am with tourism.
Has the government said they will abandon electricity in favor of coastal road? So because electricity is not sufficient right now, no other projects should be initiated.

1 Like

Re: Coastal Road Construction— A Total Misplaced Priority by babasolution: 10:35am On May 13
Sannisege:
Has the government said they will abandon electricity in favor of coastal road? So because electricity is not sufficient right now, no other projects should be initiated.

There really needs to be laser focus on electricity, infact it needs to be solved once and for all,even if that's all bola TINUBU will do,he will be highly commended

(1) (Reply)

South East Is Not Mature Politically For President / Popular Militants Surrender Arms In Rivers State. / Mend Says Disarmament Process A Charade, Vows Resumption Of Hostility After Sept

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.