Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,272 members, 7,839,364 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola (10942 Views)

Lagos Clarifies Hike In Lasu Tuition Fees: Not For Stalelites Only Jambites / Lasu Tuition Fees Hike-live Debate Going On In Lag Assembly On Channels T.v / The New Lasu Agege Campus Assistant Director Want To Kill Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by sartorius(m): 7:14am On Nov 26, 2011
BY MONSUR OLOWOOPEJO
Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos state on Friday justified the reason for the increase in tuition fees of tertiary institution in the state, saying “the increased fee does not really cover the personnel cost of the each of the institutions.”

Fashola however described the nomination of Mrs. Roli George, the wife of former deputy chairman of People’s Democratic Party, PDP, Chief Olabode George to represent Lagos state at the National Population Commission, NPC, “as an insult on residents of Lagos state who voted for President Goodluck Jonathan at the last election.” The governor who spoke at the seventh executive and legislative parley held at the Golden Tulip, Amuwo-Odofin, Lagos themed ‘Consolidating Democracy for Service to the People’.

On the increment, he said “Before we took that decision, the state executive council carefully considered the current state of infrastructure and personnel in the institutions vis-a-vis what it should be. And also considered the cost of properly funding the institution as against what currently accrue to it from all sources.”

In order to supplement the hike in tuition fees for students, the governor said that the state government will continue its scheme of scholarship and bursary as it is done all over the world for indigent students.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/no-going-back-on-new-lasu-tuition-fee-fashola/

Those fees are indefensibly outrageous, even out of reach for an average family considering other expenses ,   is Lagos still working?

Whats the p with mrs roli??
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by luvola(m): 8:47am On Nov 26, 2011
mod move to the front page
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 26, 2011
sartorius:

BY MONSUR OLOWOOPEJO
Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos state on Friday justified the reason for the increase in tuition fees of tertiary institution in the state, saying “the increased fee does not really cover the personnel cost of the each of the institutions.”

Fashola however described the nomination of Mrs. Roli George, the wife of former deputy chairman of People’s Democratic Party, PDP, Chief Olabode George to represent Lagos state at the National Population Commission, NPC, “as an insult on residents of Lagos state who voted for President Goodluck Jonathan at the last election.” The governor who spoke at the seventh executive and legislative parley held at the Golden Tulip, Amuwo-Odofin, Lagos themed ‘Consolidating Democracy for Service to the People’.

On the increment, he said “Before we took that decision, the state executive council carefully considered the current state of infrastructure and personnel in the institutions vis-a-vis what it should be. And also considered the cost of properly funding the institution as against what currently accrue to it from all sources.”

In order to supplement the hike in tuition fees for students, the governor said that the state government will continue its scheme of scholarship and bursary as it is done all over the world for indigent students.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/no-going-back-on-new-lasu-tuition-fee-fashola/

Those fees are indefensibly outrageous, even out of reach for an average family considering other expenses ,   is Lagos still working?

Whats the p with mrs roli??
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided,
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by sheyguy: 10:41am On Nov 26, 2011
Nice move, the govt shld stop using tax payers money to run/subsidize education for a selected few who are have made it a habit to bribe their way into these sch. They end up ruin the sch. and leave everybody to carry the pain.
The govt shld rather concentrate on giving scolarship to exceptionally brilliant students only.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Reference(m): 11:15am On Nov 26, 2011
I quite agree. With the high cost of decent infrastructure viz our run away population blanket subsidy is the fastest route to bankruptcy. Targetted subsidies in the form of scholarships is the way to go. Basic education is a right, tertiary education on the other hand is a privilege. Let those who value it pay for it. If it should be free to all then taxes will have to go up.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by benlay(m): 12:04pm On Nov 26, 2011
Fashola would not have been able to go to a University if all schools charge the same amount Law students will have to pay now in LASU, it's a shame. I see poverty raging more and more if this system is sustained.
Nigerians should learn to vote for 'the person' rather than 'the party'.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 26, 2011
^^^ he is still the best serving Governor in the nation, but the recent rants and yanks, i dont think he is right with that.2015 is just a stoen throw
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Baawaa(m): 12:47pm On Nov 26, 2011
I cant believe this
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by bashydemy(m): 1:23pm On Nov 26, 2011
Even in US and western world Education is not free and are expensive
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by solomon111(m): 1:24pm On Nov 26, 2011
Fashola is suffering from mental diminishing return.The dude is got no more idea
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Finland(m): 1:40pm On Nov 26, 2011
bashy_demy:

Talks without brains. If it's the same as the western world , do you want to compare standard of living in both countries? minimum wage in the U.S is about 8 dollars(1600 naira) per hour in Nigeria it not even certain.50% live below poverty and 30% live in poverty. How would these people afford these outrageous school fees?
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Toks2008(m): 1:45pm On Nov 26, 2011
The truth is that ACN as a party has tried by providing free education up to secondary level but nevertheless, i see the new school fee as outrageous.

This is the same school i paid N90 per session and i quite understand things have changed hence the need for the increment but i see the new fee too high for comfort.

I recommend a slash to 100k which shuld be ok. Education is not that cheap though and we must understabnd that many Nigerian parents will prefer to send their children abroad to pay thousands of dollars in tuition fee and will be quick to rubbish our educational standard here in Nigeria.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by mddude(m): 1:46pm On Nov 26, 2011
bashy_demy:

But there is something called PERL grant for students from poor homes, financial aids and student loans to deal with that effect. For students in grad school, you have graduate assistanship programs that basically makes your education free whie you get paid stipends.

With the way things are going in Nigeria, if you are not rich you dont get any decent education
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by mddude(m): 1:49pm On Nov 26, 2011
Toks2008:

The truth is that ACN as a party has tried by providing free education up to secondary level but nevertheless, i see the new school fee as outrageous.

This is the same school i paid N90 per session and i quite understand things have changed hence the need for the increment but i see the new fee too high for comfort.

I recommend a slash to 100k which shuld be ok. Education is not that cheap though and we must understabnd that many Nigerian parents will prefer to send their children abroad to pay thousands of dollars in tuition fee and will be quick to rubbish our educational standard here in Nigeria.

Many Nigerian parents? I wonder what that population is like. Not everybody lives in Lagos and not everybody can afford things like that. What is the average income of most families in Nigeria or even in lagos? It is a sad situation and it is not these students or parents even have access to interest free or low interest loan
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Toks2008(m): 1:54pm On Nov 26, 2011

The problem is that many Nigerian parents have so much children entering the tertiary level of education same time. If they have to save up to send one child to university so be it. We as individuals should also learn to be self sufficient taking up extra vocation just like its mostly done abroad thereby making extra money to compliment our parents in fostering our education pursuit.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by sartorius(m): 1:59pm On Nov 26, 2011
Just in case u dont know the new fees

The document had stipulated that students of Arts / Education are to pay N193,750; Social and Management Sciences N223,750; Law N248,750. In the document Communication/Transport Sciences, Engineering and College of Medicine are respectively to pay N238,750; N258,750; N298,750; and N348,750 as against present fees which range between N25,000 and N62,500. Apart from the relatively legitimate expenses which the university now wants to charge are some charges like N15,000 for Teaching Practice/Field Trip, N50,000 for Moot Court Fee for Law Students, N2,500 for General Studies, N10,000 for Caution Fee, N20,000 for Acceptance Fee which is the sum of all charges in some northern universities. The students naturally protested the disproportionate increase, but the powers that be would have none of that.

725 per cent hike in tuition fee is not fair. very soon laspotech, i understand that lagos state has huge debts larger than several states combined and that the tank is running out of steam,
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Ndkings1(m): 2:07pm On Nov 26, 2011
Is this not the same governor some assholes here were taggin as the future president of nigeria?

Stupid tribalists
just imagine!
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by anonimi: 2:11pm On Nov 26, 2011
the real question is how does Babatunde Fashola expect a civil servant in the Lagos state he govers on N18,000 minimum wage to send one child to university Fashola is openly inviting the workers to embrace corruption.
Yet to think that he enjoyed four years of free education, including free textbooks, under Jakande's UPN administration less than three decades ago is appaling shocked

bashy_demy:

How much is the salary differentials between the rulers and the ruled in these developed countries?
Unlike in Nigeria where ordinary legisLOOTERS earn more than the US president- Barack Obama.
I guess the western world does not include scandinavian countries where university education is still free based on set criteria and Nigerians are queuing uop to go study there.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Ndkings1(m): 2:21pm On Nov 26, 2011
This wil only lead to increase in
prostition,arm robbery,kidnapin,theft etc in the state
i no fit shout
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by texazzpete(m): 2:31pm On Nov 26, 2011
anonimi:

the real question is how does Babatunde Fashola expect a civil servant in the Lagos state he govers on N18,000 minimum wage to send one child to university Fashola is openly inviting the workers to embrace corruption.
Yet to think that he enjoyed four years of free education, including free textbooks, under Jakande's UPN administration less than three decades ago is appaling shocked

How much is the salary differentials between the rulers and the ruled in these developed countries?
Unlike in Nigeria where ordinary legisLOOTERS earn more than the US president- Barack Obama.
I guess the western world does not include scandinavian countries where university education is still free based on set criteria and Nigerians are queuing uop to go study there.

You hit the nail on the head, my friend. This is sheer idiocy from Fashola and his cronies.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by damola1: 3:27pm On Nov 26, 2011
They better close down the skool. 350k per annum, how much do parents make?, housing nko?, accomodation nko?,
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by damola1: 3:28pm On Nov 26, 2011
Ashewo work go plenty well well naw,
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Remii(m): 3:37pm On Nov 26, 2011
damola1:

Ashewo work go plenty well well naw,

I don't think so, when post secondary education is rightly priced, it would get more value. Not now that BSc has become equivalent of Secondary school cert and almost a waste of time. Many get out with little or no knowledge of discipline they claimed to have studied and doing all kinds of work no supposed to be engaged in.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by damola1: 3:42pm On Nov 26, 2011
Remii:

I don't think so, when [/b]post secondary education is rightly priced, it would get more value. Not now that BSc has become equivalent of Secondary school cert and almost a waste of time. Many get out with little or no knowledge of discipline they claimed to have studied and doing all kinds of work no supposed to be engaged in.

Price INCREASE already DONE. [b]WHEN
for post sec. education is subject to time.

lasu chicks will have legitimate reasons to become daylight prostitutes!, else, no skool, and no opportunity for a job at the bank or even at the call center. 250k is not beans!
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Remii(m): 3:56pm On Nov 26, 2011
Yes, N250k is not small cash, at the same time, not everyone needs to go to university. I don't intend to sound elitist, but that is a fact. Even in advance countries, university education is not cheap. You will hear guys saying "Am working beyond retirement age to see my kids out of college" Some in Nigerian universities right now have no business being there, not only because of their financial status, even in intellectual ability.

If you pay right price you will be serious at school and you will be able to challenge any harassment or intimidation from lectures. I think private Universities and some "expensive?" state universities like Osun State are less know for those ugly traits.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by damola1: 4:10pm On Nov 26, 2011
When you are in a 3rd world country like Nigeria. You just cannot afford not to have a basic university education. This statistics is not based on facts, but reviews around me, but 4 out of every 5 guys won't didn't go pass secondary school cannot even afford a car in the first 7-10years or even live indepently, which kain life be that?

You can't compare advanced economies to Nigeria. In these economies, the society builds you, your exposure is good enough. But in Nigeria, as a sec. school leaver, you've got practically NO exposure, NOTHING!, University gives you a lot of that, Listen, I graduated from public govt. school and proceeded to fed university, the exposure, the minds I had met in school is the basic foundation that am still feeding from today!,

When you talk about intellectually, you talk about refined development, not necessarily book here, book there, my younger brother is like that, and he's great right now, doing very very well, but still a basic opportunity to interact with people from diverse environment is a start point to achieving greatness, else, you'll always think your father's 1 plot is the biggest in the world!

Paying has got nothing to do with seriousness. The students are not even the one paying in most cases.

We are a 3rd world country, the effects of this actions will have astronomical effects on our society, 250k, 350k, na beans?, maybe fashola thinks everybody is a governor.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Remii(m): 4:18pm On Nov 26, 2011
You see, what we need is to restore middle class in all forms. In the 70s and 80s technical schools and trade centers have values. Even some works in banks and the call centers you talked about do not require university degree. Why should someone spend 4 - 5yrs in college only to collect cash over the counter or become a receptionist of any form?
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by damola1: 4:30pm On Nov 26, 2011
I have no problems with your suggestions of restoring middle class, but you see, you have got to put the cart before the horse. It's like what the president is about to do on subsidy. My opinion is, put the middle class first, then increase the price, what he's about to do is giving people legitimate reasons to steal, defraud, and kill, cos why would your kid be in school and mine won't be able to afford to?, what are the opportunities available for them to be better than me.

Lets do the maths.

A man with MSC earns about: 120k per month, and his wife earns say: 60k, and they've got : 3kids.

Income:
Total income : 180k per month. x 12 = 2,160k.

Expenses:
2 of them are adults already in LASU. And one just out of sec. school, so lets average school fees here, + lesson fees ( jamb etc for the other ones) : 250 ( school fees 1 ) + 300 ( school fees 2 ) + lesson ( 100k ) = 650k

Housing: 3 bed room apartment in Egbeda ( Averagely 500k  per annum)

Feeding per week = 12k per week x 52 = 624k

Transportation for both parents working: Egbeda to VI or even Ikeja: Averagely: 40k per month x 12 = 480k

Total expenses so far: 2,254k, this does not include so many other stuff, clothing, shoes, hostel accommodation, I want to go to Mr. biggs, etc,

This is for a basic average family, which are very few in our society, because I don't think my parents earned this much while growing up,

It's not the best time to ask us to pay for anything, because the govt. has failed grossly to manage what they've got so far. It's rather the best time for them to maximise what they've, and when we see it , we can then cut our neck to make the state better. Fashola is making a big mistake!, one of the biggest wrongs Oyedepo did was to ask people to pay as much as 1M in a school that's founded by funds from the church, Fashola is doing the same,
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by bashydemy(m): 5:07pm On Nov 26, 2011
Finland:

Talks without brains. If it's the same as the western world , do you want to compare standard of living in both countries? minimum wage in the U.S is about 8 dollars(1600 naira) per hour in Nigeria it not even certain.50% live below poverty and 30% live in poverty. How would these people afford these outrageous school fees?
hmmmm if you say talk without brain then maybe you brain is upside down, University is not for everyone like someone said up there, we have Colleges that is cheaper and also technical schools, also you said something about 8$ per hour in US ok how many hour a week can he/she work? highest is 40 hours so do the calculation and lets see what you get, and remember the cheapest University in US will not less than $10k for citizen why international student will be higher and lots of Nigeria are travelling to study Abroad, i have a friend who just went for a professional course in Ghana and it cost $3500 per session, more so in Nigeria lots of parents are sending there kids to private uni and since they can afford it why not this, everything goes with plan, if you can't afford Uni then go to college. remember he said something about scholarship, though am not in support of the fee is too much for now though maybe he need to cut it down a little
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Sagamite(m): 5:22pm On Nov 26, 2011
bashy_demy:

It is not expensive in Germany, France, Holland, Belgium and a host of other countries.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by Sagamite(m): 5:37pm On Nov 26, 2011
Asking these people to pay anything more than N80-100K is grossly unfair.

That excludes the underpriviledge from education and bettering their lives.

An unjust socity is a society with static class and no class mobility based on merit. Only those on top will be able to send their kids to school and then only their kids will be on top.

Less than 70% of Nigerians make up to N750K per annum, to tell these majority that they have to get one third of earnings to pay annual tuition fee of only one child (minus books), excludes them from education. Hence, excludes them from class shift.
Re: No Going Back On New LASU Tuition Fee – Fashola by georgesylva(m): 5:43pm On Nov 26, 2011
cant u c dat acn is loosin Lagos. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Download NOUN TMA Portal Licked Questions - Enjoy While It Last / French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i / 5 Reasons Candidates May Not Score High In 2018 UTME

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.