Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,203,411 members, 7,985,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 26 October 2024 at 12:48 AM

Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication (13904 Views)

Nigerian Man Arrested For Overstaying Visa By Nine Months In Thailand / Mechanic Bags 12 Months Jail For Cybercrime In Ilorin / SARS Arrest Killers Of Funke Olakunrin, Nine Months After (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by TouchNfollow(f): 6:22am On Oct 22

Trader bags nine months jail for false publication

A Surulere Magistrate Court has convicted and sentenced a 56-year-old spare parts dealer, Fredrick Mmegwa, to nine months imprisonment over false publication.

Chief Magistrate Phillip Ojo, who handed down the verdict on Friday, held that the prosecution successfully proved the cases of conspiracy, conduct likely to cause a breach of public peace, and false publication against the convict.

In his judgment, Magistrate Ojo held that the trader was guilty and therefore convicted and sentenced him to three months imprisonment each on the three counts preferred against him by the police.

Mmegwa, a trader at the United Allied Spare Parts Dealers Association section of the Trade Fair Complex, Badagry Expressway, was found guilty on all three counts after the conclusion of the trial in the case.

The convict was in 2017, arraigned by the Force Criminal Investigation Department Annex, Alagbon-Ikoyi, Lagos, on charges numbered A/197/2017.

The police prosecution counsel, Morufu Animashaun, told the court that the convict and others still at large committed the offences on November 17, 2016.

According to the prosecutor, “The convict made a false publication in The Guardian newspaper, claiming that ‘you are the new executive officers of the United Allied Spare Parts Dealers Association’. This was completely untrue and caused serious disruption within the association.”

The prosecutor said that the offences committed contravened Sections 409, 411(1), and 57(b) of the Lagos State Criminal Code Law of 2011.

During the trial, the prosecution called three witnesses, Mr. Simon Uzoegue, the nominal complainant, as well as Bartholomew Achukwu and Kabiru Salami, a retired Superintendent of Police who investigated the matter.

Six documentary exhibits were also tendered and admitted into evidence.

After the prosecution’s case, the convict chose to file a ‘No Case Submission’ instead of opening his defence. The prosecutor contested this submission vigorously.

However, Magistrate Ojo ruled against the ‘No Case Submission’, stating, “The evidence brought forward by the prosecution has sufficiently proven the charges. Therefore, the convict must face the consequences of his actions.”

Following the dismissal of his submission, the convict, dissatisfied, approached the Lagos State High Court to appeal the ruling, but his appeal was rejected.

Justice Ismail Ijelu, who presided over the appeal, dismissed it as lacking merit.

After his failed appeal, Mmegwa returned to the Magistrate’s Court to open his defence and called five witnesses. Both parties subsequently filed and adopted their written addresses.

Delivering judgment, Chief Magistrate Ojo stated, “The prosecution has successfully proven beyond reasonable doubt the charges of conspiracy, conduct likely to cause a breach of public peace, and false publication against the convict.”

Mmegwa’s lawyer, citing various legal precedents, pleaded for leniency, asking the court to show mercy during sentencing.

In his ruling, Magistrate Ojo sentenced Mmegwa to three months’ imprisonment for each count.

He, however, offered alternatives: “The convict shall perform two weeks of community service to count one and pay a fine of N90,000 for count three, as an alternative to the jail term.”

https://punchng.com/trader-bags-nine-months-jail-for-false-publication/#google_vignette

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by Exousiang01(m): 6:30am On Oct 22
Very good

Same way they went online to declare Peter Obi the president in an attempt to run a parallel government, not knowing it was treason.

Nigerians need to start paying for every wrong information they put out there that way we can have a better society

Modified:
Obidients and Igbos have taken a day off work to insult me because I stated the obvious,
NON OF THEM HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DEBUNK WHAT I SAID.
YET they have gone to hell and back raining insults.
Many have tagged me Yoruba, please stop insulting the Yoruba people, not everyone who has a contrary opinion to the Igbos, Ipob and Obidients is Yoruba.

I just came back online before I start up for the day to find tonnes of insults from the Obidient dogs. We'll I wasn't expecting any different from them. Some don't even know what parallel government is, they just came to insult me. Some of the masses from across the Niger bridge have started calling me Yoruba this and insulting the Yoruba tribe...

Funny how the average Igbo man thinks that in Nigeria, a nation with more than 250 ethnic groups, any body who is not Igbo is Yoruba, you start insulting anybody with a contrary opinion and tag them Yoruba.
Does this show how small the brain of an Igbo man is?
Or is this just a case of a tribe with low IQ?
Just thinking to my self....

I am done with this the dogs are welcome to come bark again....

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by josiah27: 6:31am On Oct 22
Toh
Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by shivisee: 6:32am On Oct 22
Firm stance needs to be taken in situation like this, to serve as deterrent to others.they always think they can exhibit their muddy agulu/abia behaviour anywhere.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by Parydelegate: 6:32am On Oct 22
In VDM voice....dy will learn the hard way grin

4 Likes

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by AntiChristian: 6:33am On Oct 22
cry

See precedence!

Check am well, na them!
Imo vs Anambala vs Enugu vs Ebonyi vs Osu vs Fake vs original vs Abia!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by djflexcy: 6:35am On Oct 22
Ok
Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by hisgrace090: 6:36am On Oct 22
It remain their oga in Abuja occupying seat of power through fall pretence to be jailed.

7 Likes

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by Apple2: 6:37am On Oct 22
In this critical times and some people wants to go to prison? Haa, God abeg o. Pls, everybody should be careful and avoid problems o. The country is not smiling at all

1 Like

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by MightyHand(m): 6:38am On Oct 22
After the two weeks community service, he's going to be a freeman again.

Fair play👍👍👍👍
Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by 004gist: 6:38am On Oct 22
Exousiang01:
Very good

Same way they went online to declare Peter Obi the president in an attempt to run a parallel government, not knowing it was treason.

Nigerians need to start paying for every wrong information they put out there that way we can have a better society

You guys brought Buhari n supported him for second term when it was clear he was taking the nation backwards.

Now you guys brought tinubu claiming he built Lagos all because of tribes n religion.

Now see the hunger in the land. We all buy fish, bread etc from same market and the kind of leaders u elect will influence the prices u get. It u elect dick heads under the influence of tribes n religion or because u hate a particular tribe u will all end up in a society where u can't buy basic things

shivisee:
Firm stance needs to be taken in situation like this to serve as deterrent to others. Go to Abia or Bambara and misbehave as you like! This is Lagos.

Buhari n tinubu u guys brought how far?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by helinues: 6:38am On Oct 22
Toh
Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by Ogbuu101: 6:38am On Oct 22
hisgrace090:
It remain their oga in Abuja occupying seat of power through fall pretence to be jailed.
Na im be say Bayo Onanuga and Helinues go soon go their own jail because nobody share fake news pass dem

7 Likes

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by Ogbuu101: 6:40am On Oct 22
helinues:
Toh
You go soon enter am for sharing fake news on nairaland
Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by flexyrule(m): 6:42am On Oct 22
Exousiang01:
Very good

Thunder....

3 Likes

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by overall90: 6:42am On Oct 22
Exousiang01:
Very good

Senseless
How a man you people claimed came third is giving you nightmares beats anyone's imagination

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by MTCLimited(m): 6:44am On Oct 22
Chai !
Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by Exousiang01(m): 6:45am On Oct 22
overall90:

Senseless
How a man you people claimed came third is giving you nightmares beats anyone's imagination

The stupidity of the man who came 3rd and that of his dogs who called him president is what I mentioned...

If the high level of their stupidity gives me night mares you might be right.
It scares me to live among creatures like you and your fellow......

5 Likes

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by ShogunNoName: 6:45am On Oct 22
Exousiang01:
Very good

Yoruba people and propaganda undecided are you now blaming the akpu munchers? you Yoruba are just the propblem of this country. you resort to tribalism at any opportunity and it is disgusting angry

And you wonder why every tribe hates you guys? undecided

8 Likes

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by oluseyiforjesus(m): 6:47am On Oct 22
Ok
Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by Vado(m): 6:47am On Oct 22
MightyHand:
After the two weeks community service, he's going to be a freeman again.

Fair play👍👍👍👍

But now he is now a convict.

1 Like

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by shivisee: 6:48am On Oct 22
Exousiang01:
Very good

a serious trasonable offense that will never go unpunish!

2 Likes

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by Myname55: 6:51am On Oct 22
We thinking we have seen it all
Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by Godsonkemz(m): 6:52am On Oct 22
Nawa
Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by AffiliateGuruNG(m): 6:54am On Oct 22
Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by Iceberg3: 6:55am On Oct 22
Exousiang01:

The stupidity of the man who came 3rd and that of his dogs who called him president is what I mentioned...

You are just forcing yourself and sweating profusely,trying so hard to sound intelligent.....

4 Likes

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by Iceberg3: 6:56am On Oct 22
shivisee:

a serious trasonable offense that will never go unpunish!
May God deliver you from frustrations
Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by overall90: 6:57am On Oct 22
Exousiang01:

It seems you are referring to Tinibu and APC that threatened to form a parallel government if Jonathan did not hand over to them because there was never a time that Obi threatened to form a parallel government.
You dolts think you can use lies and propaganda to run a government.
Continue to be scared of Obi while Mr bulaba is running the country aground

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by techbro1: 6:57am On Oct 22
Good thing he got option of fine.

Exousiang01:
Very good

The brain you used in thinking this rubbish, is it the same brain you use to make decisions in your daily life?

4 Likes

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by strangest(m): 6:59am On Oct 22
Exousiang01:
Very good

Peter Obi has taken over your head... You dream Peter Obi... You eat, Peter Obi.... You're getting ready for work, Peter Obi....

Everything you do now is Peter Obi....

Ibadan boi... Claiming Lagosian ...

Very soon, you go run mad....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 7:01am On Oct 22
Impressive
Re: Trader Bags Nine Months Jail For False Publication by NosyParrot: 7:05am On Oct 22
A case of 2016 is just being concluded in year 2024?!shocked

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are There Any Gun Shooting Ranges Or Training Lagos? / Petroleum Black Marketers In Jos Dealt With By Plateau STF (photos) / Fake Wine Brewer Arrested In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.