Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,203,744 members, 7,986,822 topics. Date: Sunday, 27 October 2024 at 02:27 PM

7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord (31014 Views)

5 Ways To Know Original Oraimo Cord Easily / 7 Things You Need To Know Before Buying A Used Iphone / 7 Things You Should Stop Doing To Your Phone If You Want The Battery To Last Lon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by coputa(m): 6:49pm On Oct 24
Here are seven high-risk examples in your home that you should never connect to an extension cord.

1. Air fryer
Air fryers are great for quickly cooking and warming food, including full meals and side dishes, but it's not a good idea to attach them to an extension cord or power strip. Although they range in wattage based on size, large air fryers can draw up to 2,000 watts, making them a major fire hazard if they're attached to an extension cord. So if you don't have counter space to keep your air fryer out full time, it's best to pull it out when needed and plug it into a dedicated wall outlet.

2. Microwave
While the dream is to move into a home with a built-in microwave, we're all not that lucky. If you have to find a place to connect yours in your kitchen, this is another heavy-duty appliance that should live on its own dedicated circuit due to high wattage.

3. Refrigerator
Although refrigerators use less wattage than some other kitchen appliances, they're still not recommended for extension cord use as they are constantly running. Even if the extension cord doesn't cause a fire when attached to a fridge, there's a possibility it could cause the fridge to malfunction.

4. Toaster and toaster oven
Although toasters are on the smaller side when it comes to kitchen appliances, they use a lot of energy and pose a fire threat if connected to an extension cord. Toaster ovens need even more power to operate with wattage ranging from 1,200 to 1,400 watts.

5. Extension cords
Plugging extension cords into other extension cords is another huge "no!" in the electrician world. When this is done, it's known as "daisy chaining." It can lead to the circuit overheating, which would cause the cords to overheat.

6. Space heaters
Electric heaters have long been known to be a major cause of fires. The Consumer Product Safety Commission previously estimated that between 2017 and 2019, portable space heaters were involved in 1,700 fires per year, with some of those fires resulting in deaths.

7. AC unit
AC units use too much power for an extension cord or power strip, so they need to be attached to a wall outlet as well.

https://www.cnet.com/home/kitchen-and-household/7-things-you-should-never-plug-into-an-extension-cord-or-power-strip/

51 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by Blitzking: 7:56pm On Oct 24
coputa:

Here are seven high-risk examples in your home that you should never connect to an extension cord.

1. Air fryer
Air fryers are great for quickly cooking and warming food, including full meals and side dishes, but it's not a good idea to attach them to an extension cord or power strip. Although they range in wattage based on size, large air fryers can draw up to 2,000 watts, making them a major fire hazard if they're attached to an extension cord. So if you don't have counter space to keep your air fryer out full time, it's best to pull it out when needed and plug it into a dedicated wall outlet.

2. Microwave
While the dream is to move into a home with a built-in microwave, we're all not that lucky. If you have to find a place to connect yours in your kitchen, this is another heavy-duty appliance that should live on its own dedicated circuit due to high wattage.

3. Refrigerator
Although refrigerators use less wattage than some other kitchen appliances, they're still not recommended for extension cord use as they are constantly running. Even if the extension cord doesn't cause a fire when attached to a fridge, there's a possibility it could cause the fridge to malfunction.

Although toasters are on the smaller side when it comes to kitchen appliances, they use a lot of energy and pose a fire threat if connected to an extension cord. Toaster ovens need even more power to operate with wattage ranging from 1,200 to 1,400 watts.

5. Extension cords
Plugging extension cords into other extension cords is another huge "no!" in the electrician world. When this is done, it's known as "daisy chaining." It can lead to the circuit overheating, which would cause the cords to overheat.

6. Space heaters
Electric heaters have long been known to be a major cause of fires. The Consumer Product Safety Commission previously estimated that between 2017 and 2019, portable space heaters were involved in 1,700 fires per year, with some of those fires resulting in deaths.

7. AC unit
AC units use too much power for an extension cord or power strip, so they need to be attached to a wall outlet as well.

Β© 2024 CNET, a Ziff Davis company. All rights reserved.
I bought imported extension for 2, 3 and 4 and no issues till date only cheap extension box gave me issues..I even connect pressing iron to my extension box.

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by id4sho(m): 8:47pm On Oct 24
cool
Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by thesicilian: 9:28pm On Oct 24
Doesn't it depend on the "strength" of the extension cord itself?

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by Entanglement: 9:55pm On Oct 24
coputa:

1. Air fryer

2. Microwave

3. Refrigerator

5. Extension cords

6. Space heaters

7. AC unit

Β© 2024 CNET, a Ziff Davis company. All rights reserved.
remove number 3 and 5 on your list!

All this dinosaur researcher we have these days heh!

With your dinosaur knowledge, don't you know that refrigerators and freezer these days comes with Their inverter technology that doesn't consume more than 200 watt undecided

Normal average extension have a limit of up to 2000watt.

Now coming to your number 5! Mr dinosaur researcher! It's completely safe and normal to plug up to 10 extension to each others as long as you don't overload it with more than the said 2000watt! And the extension isn't all those useless made in China extension that doesn't use copper wire!

Extra knowledge to ya all:
Once buying your extension make sure it's copper wire! Those extensions are expensive.
But if you be poverty ambassadors! Buy those cheap extensions and remove the wire then you buy normal wire for all those electric shops (depending on the yard you want) then you open your extension and fix am grin
That extension go last you for eternity grin grin

69 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by Entanglement: 10:10pm On Oct 24
Blitzking:

I bought imported extension for 2, 3 and 4 and no issues till date only cheap extension box gave me issues..I even connect pressing iron to my extension box.
leave that op with his dinosaur πŸ¦• knowledge!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by cr7lomo: 11:01pm On Oct 24
Add pressing Iron

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by Immatex(m): 11:26pm On Oct 24
What about my electric car?

Because I am buying an electric car suitable extension for the home charging unit of my 2024 model Nissian Leaf Tekna. Only way I can charge at home in the interim.
Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by coputa(m): 7:40am On Oct 25
Entanglement:
leave that op with his dinosaur πŸ¦• knowledge!

ignorance is your major problem, you think you know but you know nothing and you don't want to open your mind to learning

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by Baronthecelebri: 7:46am On Oct 25
Thank you for this
Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by Entanglement: 8:32am On Oct 25
coputa:
ignorance is your major problem, you think you know but you know nothing and you don't want to open your mind to learning
change your dinosaur πŸ¦– mindset! Your number 3 and 5 is of no use because modern technology has already overcome those stuff undecided

So Mr dinosaur πŸ¦• researcher! Open your mind to recent discovery, science and innovation

5 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by okoliobinna84(m): 9:15am On Oct 25
Op can I plug this my small electric car in extension

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:16am On Oct 25
Loud πŸ“’πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

8. Pressing Iron!

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by Myname55: 9:16am On Oct 25
Noted
Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by meobizy(f): 9:16am On Oct 25
I know anything with a heating element is a no-no. I can’t remember where I learned it. Back in uni days, we usually daisy chained three extensions to charge twelve laptops at a go. The first to complete were always from the primary extension cord. The last to complete, the tertiary. It meant the electricity weakened as it moved from one extension to the other.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by AntiChristian: 9:17am On Oct 25
Common sense!

Boiling ring aka heater!

Pressing Iron!

Hot plate!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by bluefilm: 9:18am On Oct 25
Extension cords come in different sizes and strength

If you are talking about all these fake extension cords, then I can understand

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by o123456789(m): 9:18am On Oct 25
hmm
Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by ASAPCONNECT(m): 9:19am On Oct 25
Nice one
Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by GanagiBitrus: 9:21am On Oct 25
Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by handsomeyinka(m): 9:21am On Oct 25
With the rate the national grid is collapsing,

The amount of phones plugged on extension cords is almost equivalent to a start up current of an air-conditioner.

No B small thing ooo..

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by handsomeyinka(m): 9:22am On Oct 25
thesicilian:
Doesn't it depend on the "strength" of the extension cord itself?
You right .
That's amps

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by Olatunji1929: 9:24am On Oct 25
Your number 5 is gibberish oga
Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by TGreatGatsby: 9:24am On Oct 25
Add Pressing Iron to this list, I once fried my extension trying to press my cloth one day. Since then no hi power equipment goes to extension.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by OboOlora(f): 9:25am On Oct 25
Pls add pressing iron, high powered vibrator and food processor

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 9:27am On Oct 25
Nice post.

However, I disagree with your thoughts on refrigerators generally consuming lesser power than other appliances.

Generators are induction machines and as such, require up to 4-12 times their rated power to start up.

Once you switch it on, it instantly draws that power and that's where fire hazards usually occur.

Again, extension pass extension.

If the extension plug is of proper amperage , the cabling is of low guage, and the metal components are solid copper, you can safely load heavy appliances on it.

What usually causes electrical fires is LOOSE CONNEXION.

Once there is a loose connection at any point of contact, tiny sparks are liable to occur consistently, heating up the connection point and eventually starting a fire.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by jospepper(m): 9:30am On Oct 25
Extension cords have different capacities, some can even carry hotplate and Some extension sockets are even stronger than wall sockets. Like the one below.

10 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by NewHe: 9:31am On Oct 25
You never heard of high voltage extension box?

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by FARA4GA: 9:35am On Oct 25
Educative
Re: 7 Things You Should Never Plug Into An Extension Cord by Mercylike: 9:38am On Oct 25
U lied abt refrigerators..

Mine is plugged to an extension and no problem since and there will be none

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lion Helps His Brother Stuck On A Tree (PHOTOS) / Have You Been Bitten By A Cockroach Before?11 / Artificial Limbs Produced By ABUBAKAR Shuaibu-Narkuta, Hausa Man

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.